++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 10-31-2002, 06:46 PM   #1
Read JDM
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Which issue irks you the most?

Which social issue irks you the most? What's the one issue you wish would just go away? It doesn't matter what your opinion is on that issue, just pick an issue that you wish wasn't discussed so often.

I'll go first: Abortion.

Now, personally, I don't agree with abortion, but again, that's besides the point of this thread. The reason I'd like the issue to go away is because it's already been decided in a court of law in favor of abortions being legal, and politicos who campaign on this issue are really only campaigning on an issue they can't (or won't) change either which way. They're campaigning on it, in my mind, because it's an issue that riles up people on both sides.

Which issue would you pick? And again, this isn't meant to be a discussion of which side is right or wrong (just clarifying that because I'm figuring it'll get to that point eventually).
Old 10-31-2002, 07:07 PM   #2
JenRN
USER INFO »
You REALLY want to know what irks me???

Welfare!!!!!

I personally get MAD as hell when I see people at the grocery store paying for there food in food stamps then giving the cashier a $50.00 bill to pay for their beer and cigerettes and they are wearing fancy clothes and drive off in a new car!!!! That really pisses me off !!!! I have worked hard my entire life and because some one decides to have 4-5 kids on their own they get rewarded by the govenment with housing and food???
THIS IS SEPERATE FROM VETS,ELDERLY AND DISABILITY!!! PLEASE UNDER STAND THIS!!!! Those above people who get everything for free and still expect more and more, I see thousands of dollars in my paycheck going to this!! If they get help at first o.k. but.... there needs to be a limit!!!:madder:

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 10-31-2002, 08:34 PM   #3
Read JDM
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by JenRN
I see people at the grocery store paying for there food in food stamps then giving the cashier a $50.00 bill to pay for their beer and cigerettes and they are wearing fancy clothes and drive off in a new car!

You haven't seen it that extreme, have you? Yikes.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:14 PM   #4
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I have. I totally agree with Jen. I see people in Atlantic City all the time paying with food stamps and driving away in their Lincoln Navigators or new Mercedes. It is very annoying. The system was a good idea in theory, but now it's out of control. Clinton tried to straighten it out with limits on how long people could stay on welfare and fed. assistance programs, but it's still out of hand.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 10-31-2002, 09:17 PM   #5
Read JDM
USER INFO »
Yeah, I personally don't agree with the welfare mess, I just haven't encountered anyone in fancy clothes and cars paying with food stamps. Not that I doubt it. This country is chock full of people who take advantage of hard-working, tax-paying schmucks like myself.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:33 PM   #6
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
And that just pisses me off. I work hard, I pay my taxes and I carry my own weight in this world AND I help foot the bill for some girl who is getting paid by the government for every kid she pops out.

Old 10-31-2002, 09:47 PM   #7
Read JDM
USER INFO »
I'm not going into specifics or anything, but yesterday, I received a hard-earned bonus check at work for a very significant amount of money. The government took about forty cents on the dollar. It's just ridiculous. The government didn't wake up at 6:30 a.m. and sit at my cubicle all day. The government didn't spend the last nine months working its ass off in hopes of having enough money to buy a life for itself -- I did. The thing that gets me the most is that they waste so much of the money they took from me. All they do is throw money at problems and hope the problems go away. It's ridiculous.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:51 PM   #8
Unforgiven Fan
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Unforgiven Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Unforgiven Fan
what is irking me...mmmm

I am tired of some religious folks and organizations that bash, exclude and try to hold down atheists just becase we do not beleive in a god and we are a minority in the whole religious/non-religious world and they think they can push us around and tape up are mouths when we want to speak and say our opinions are worthless...mmm that sounds kind of fimiliar......
Old 10-31-2002, 11:23 PM   #9
JenRN
USER INFO »
Back to the welfare thing... Yes I have seen that many times and it really pisses me off!!!!!! It drives me crazy when I get my pay-check and see how much is taken out for people like that!!!! It is sooo out of control!!!! The aethiest thing I am not touching!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 11-01-2002, 10:23 AM   #10
Lady Valkyrie
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Lady Valkyrie Send a message via Yahoo to Lady Valkyrie
you know what irks me? People who make fun of or condemn those on welfare who are obviously ignorant of the whole thing.

I have been a recipient of welfare many times. There were times that it couldn't be helped. It was either welfare or prostitution or dealing drugs.

And let me say that because of my personal experience I do KNOW how the system works.

For one thing, it is FEDERAL law that you can only buy food items with foodstamps. You cannot even purchase a box of baking soda that is packaged as a box where the sides tear off so it can be used as a deodorizer for the refrigerator. You have to buy the traditional box of baking soda for it to be considered a food item.

Also, welfare isn't a free ride any longer. You have to work 40 hours a week at a place of employment at the Welfare offices choice in order to recieve cash assistance. I recieved $461 in cash and $400 in foodstamps a month along with a medical card for me and my 3 children. I also had to pay a co-payment of $50 for partially welfare paid daycare for my 3 kids. My rent was $450 a month plus water, electric, trash, household supplies, school supplies and clothes. Also I was supposed to recieve $300 a month in child support. When my bum ex-husband would pay it the state would take it away from me. Why? Because I had to pay them back for every penny that I recieved in cash assistance... that doesn't include the foodstamps though. So basically I was working 40 hours a week at various places like a secretary/janitor/kitchen aid for the local Senior Center or as an office aid/Janitor at a local drug and alcohol counseling center where I also recieved counseling. In spite of me working for my welfare check I had to repay the system their money in the form of my children's child support check. Even after I was off of welfare and had a job I still didn't recieve their child support checks until like 6 months afterwards... because they requier every red cent paid back to them. And the only way a woman is exempt from working off the welfare check is if she has a baby under 1 year of age. Or if she is married to a man who is on the case file then he would be the one reqired to work. It has been known for both man and woman of a family to work off the welfare check as to split up the time and make it easier for at least one of the spouses to find a job. Also in some states even if you don't recieve a welfare check but only foodstamps you may be required to work off the foodstamps as well. And you don't have to he unemployed to recieve medical insurance assistance from the welfare... a blue collar worker can recieve foodstamps and medical insurance assistance from welfare. So please be advised that I paid for most of what I got in welfare back to the system at the expense of my children's child support... you didn't pay for all of my welfare. Don't be so arrogant and condescending as to even suggest it. Also I have held many jobs in my lifetime. I also have paid my share of taxes to help fund such things as welfare.

So you see all of you are like way off on your stereotyping of welfare recipiants. The system was very corrupt back in the 1980's however, welfare reform is here and it's here to stay. You people should be more informed of how things work before you open up your mouth. And I'm trying to be as diplomatic as I can about this... but man that really offended me and hurt me to see such misinformed people.

Now go ahead crucify me... I know you want to.

:P

~~~~~I am my kid's mom.~~~~~

~~~My Diary~~~~My Photos~~~
Old 11-01-2002, 11:07 AM   #11
Read JDM
USER INFO »
But you're not suggesting that someone on welfare should be able to be unemployed, are you? I don't think that you are or anything, but, theoretically speaking, if that's what you were implying then that would be the point of the problems stated above. You know what I mean?
Old 11-01-2002, 11:16 AM   #12
Lady Valkyrie
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Lady Valkyrie Send a message via Yahoo to Lady Valkyrie
Excuse me again you are making mere assumptions... you are not informed of how the actual system works. THE WELFARE SYSTEM REQUIRES YOU LOOK FOR A JOB AND THEY ONLY ALLOW YOU TO BE ON CASH ASSISTANCE FOR 24 MONTHS THAT'S IT! I had to show proof every week that I looked for a job... in fact it was required that I show 12 copies of applications of employment and the signature and title of the person with whom I gave my application to.

Old 11-01-2002, 11:26 AM   #13
Lady Valkyrie
USER INFO »
Also they make one get their GED if they haven't graduated high school and that counts toward the 40 hours a week you have to work for your check. They also put you through a regmen of tests to see what kind of job you would be good at... take all of your interests into consideration... and urge you to take some college courses or something.

Old 11-01-2002, 11:30 AM   #14
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Lady V, I am not speaking for everyone here, just me. I am not condemning you or crucifying you. I am condemning the people that I have seen first hand abusing the system. I did not direct my post at you specifically, so please don't take everything I said personally. I am annoyed by the people who find every way they can to get around the system so that they can continue to stay at home, drink, do drugs, live a lifestyle that they cannot afford with my tax money.

Old 11-01-2002, 11:41 AM   #15
Lady Valkyrie
USER INFO »
Teri it just all sounded so generalized and stereotypical to me... that';s what offended me.

You know what never mind. I'm sorry if I came off as harsh It just hurt to see such generalizations. Just never mind. *sighs*