++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Faith / Religion
Today's Posts «

Old 08-05-2003, 02:49 PM   #76
bgivens33
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: Originally posted by souldancer
I supported Clinton and support Peace.

Than I guess you would have rather our country still be apart of Great Britain and the South it's own nation. And Pearl Harbor??? Why don't we just wait for Japan to send us an apology note.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:58 PM   #77
RMadd
USER INFO »
Quote: Originally posted by bgivens33
<b>BearFan... all that you said sounds great, but I don't think you answered the one big question... What gives us the right to go in there? &nbsp;You said "is a duty, more or less, that the United States has taken upon itself as the only remaining superpower in the world", which makes sense, but on the same page, what if Iraq imposed a duty on itself to rid the world of Christianity. &nbsp;There is no question that Saddam is quite the monster, but, I am more interested in domestic problems than going into iraq on a WMD scavenger hunt. </b>

I would not say the US has any specific right to do so, if you mean "right" by something like the Bill of Rights. But in the modern non-isolationist world, one or two countries (namely the US and Britain) are needed to act as global policemen. I know that's what the UN's intent is, but it has proven to be mildly ineffective in recent years. The US felt the UN was not acting quickly or urgently enough with regard to the potential consequences if Saddam would have remained in power for as long as the UN wanted to complete the thorough inspections. So the US, Britain, and many many other nations that pledged support took it upon themselves to depose Saddam. I think you may have pointed out one difference, bgivens. The US is not on a mission to rid the world of Islam; if it were, I, for one, would not support such actions, though I consider myself a devout Christian. The war on terror appears to be such, but that is because most military and government intelligence has indicated Islamic extremists (not ALL Muslims) are perpetrating acts of evil. Now, perhaps if Iraq were the only superpower remaining in the modern world (and the US was one of its inferiors) and the US had a crazed dictator in power that, just for shits and giggles (and as an act of defiance), set fire to oil reservoirs and killed millions of innocent Americans then, yes, I WOULD support Iraqi intervention. But the point regarding religion is moot, as the US is not intending to pose its most common religion upon non-Christian states. And it is possible to maintain both domestic foreign policies at the same time. The federal government, in light of the 9/11 attacks, has restructured parts of the gov't to make it more effective in dealing with potential threats both here and abroad. Tax cuts (yes, there are greater cuts for the wealthy, but people overlook the fact that everyone saves money). But you are wise to disaffirm Clinton and his "peace" (read: sitting around in the Oval Office doing who knows what?).
Clinton did little with regard to significant foreign or domestic policy. In my opinion, he road on the coattails (is that phrase appropriate here?) of the booming economy that he had little to do with (economies run in cycles); didn't do a whole lot to pressure Saddam, as I've already said. He just got lucky, that's all.

Old 08-06-2003, 12:15 AM   #78
ZION1010
USER INFO »
HERES what i THINK.>>WHEN YE SHALL SEE ALL THESE THINGS KNOW THAT IT IS NEAR EVEN AT THE DOORS>>MATH.24V>>33 CAN YOU SEE THE SIGNS NOW CAN YOU SEE THEME>>FOR MANY SHALL COME IN MY NAME SAYING IAM CHRIST tbn TAKE HEED THAT KNOW MAN DECIVE YOU CAN YOU SEE THEME NOW..YE SHALL HEAR OF WARS AND RUMURS OF WARS>> THIS WAR WAS THE LAST>>FOR THOSE OF YOU GOT A EAR LET THEME HEAR FOR THOSE YOU THAT HAVE AN EYE LET THEME SEE THE SIGHNS NOW
Old 08-06-2003, 03:56 PM   #79
ZION1010
USER INFO »
Okay
Old 08-08-2003, 01:24 PM   #80
Torn Signs
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Torn Signs Send a message via Yahoo to Torn Signs
I will just answer the question w/o arguing, I will just say that what happened happened and no matter what we do we can't go back in the past and save those lives that were lost. Either way if we did or didn't go into Iraq, lives would've been lost, I'll keep my real opinion to myself thank you.

I'm otherwise known as: WTLF-101
Old 08-08-2003, 01:25 PM   #81
Torn Signs
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Torn Signs Send a message via Yahoo to Torn Signs
but in all of this God did have his reasons, so what happened may have happened for a good reason-sorry for spamming

I'm otherwise known as: WTLF-101