Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Movie Talk: Dramas [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Movie Talk: Dramas

jango
11-15-2002, 04:06 PM
Part 4 of 6

At long last we come to the last major cinematic genre: drama. Just like the television version, these films often take more than one quick glance to absorb. Most moviegoers become entranced by the film, as opposed to comedies and adventure flicks that we all too often to seem to forget. No cheap laughs here.

10. Goodfellas
Scorsese's best work to date, in my opinion. One of a few mob dramas on this list, this piece is both well-directed and well-performed. Inspired performances from Liotta, De Niro, and Oscar winner, Joe Pesci carry this film. Movies like this put The Sopranos to shame.

9. Lawrence of Arabia
Peter O'Toole masterfully carries what might otherwise be considered an extremely monotonous and sometimes boring motion picture. However, O'Toole's performance allows the viewer to fully realize Lean's vision in this work of cinematic brilliance.

8. 12 Angry Men
A captivating movie not particularly for its performances, which seem often haste and flawed, but for the magnificent editing. The audience is really carried from scene, we care about the motions that these people must go through.

7. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
While not one singular aspect of this movie stands out above the rest, in essence, it is flawless. Each piece gels together perfectly.

6. Das Boot
War movies rule. War dramas may be even better. Wolfgang Petersen's best.

5. Casablanca
A classic.

4. Citizen Kane
While not the first film to utilize the tactics that partially made it famous, it certainly did so in a quality manner that allows this film to hold up well even today.

3. Godfather II
On par with the first, truly rare for sequels.

2. Shawshank Redemption
A highly underrated movie with outstanding performances from both Robbins and Freeman. Much more than a 'prison movie.'

1. Godfather
C'mon, do you really need an explanation for this one?

Honorable Mentions:
American Beauty
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Requiem for a Dream
Memento
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan

Read JDM
11-15-2002, 05:19 PM
Shawshank Redemption. It's probably the best movie I've ever seen.

Bridge of Clay
11-15-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by jango
[2. Shawshank Redemption
A highly underrated movie with outstanding performances from both Robbins and Freeman. Much more than a 'prison movie.'

Thatīs my favourite!

But thereīs a lot I havenīt watched yet (the olders)...
I gotta watch Lawrence, Citizen Kayne, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Goodfellas, Casablanca...

JenRN
11-15-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Read JDM
Shawshank Redemption. It's probably the best movie I've ever seen.

Definately Read!!!!!!:D

TeriB19
11-15-2002, 06:10 PM
Yes, the book was incredible. As was The Green Mile. I need some time to compile my list, as there are so many to choose from. But for those who are new to the bb, if you have a top ten list, you should post all ten with a little explanation as to why each is your favorite, just follow Jango's lead. The past 4 were on the old bb.

Read JDM
11-15-2002, 06:28 PM
Green Mile is another one of the best movies I've ever seen. I think Shawshank Redemption was better overall, but I think Green Mile's acting blows away just about any other movie I can think of, including even Shawshank. Another movie with excellent yet underrated acting is A Few Good Men.

Mulletman
11-15-2002, 08:37 PM
the godfather, cause for some reason, it reminds me of the way my family does business...

Read JDM
11-15-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Mulletman
the godfather, cause for some reason, it reminds me of the way my family does business...

I don't know why but that scared me for a moment there.

Mulletman
11-15-2002, 10:08 PM
lol

Steve
11-16-2002, 12:00 AM

Oh yea... take my last name .... put two and two together....

Caponetto

PaulMcCoygirl
11-16-2002, 12:49 AM
Definitely Shawshank redemption!

Dogstar
11-16-2002, 01:40 AM
Here goes:

10. Ordinary People
The emotional turmoil in this movie is gripping. Mary Tyler Moore as the stone-cold mother who can't accept the death of her favorite son and the suicide attempt of the other was amazing. Donald Sutherland was also wonderful as the befuddled father just trying to love and save his surviving son. Timothy Hutton was great as the son and Judd Hirsch as his psychiatrist was one of his best roles.

9. 12 Angry Men
Jango was right, you just want to follow these people's every thought and emotion.

8. A Midnight Clear
A wonderful ensemble movie that chronicles a Christmas Eve encounter between a group of American soldiers and their German counterparts during WWII. Unbelievable performance by Gary Sinise.

7. Lone Star
I love John Sayles movies because he is just a terrific storyteller. In this one, a sheriff in a Texas town on the Mexican border is trying to solve a 40-year-old murder that might have involved his now-dead father. It dredges up a lot of old emotions for the main character, played by Chris Cooper. Sayles' use of flashbacks while not original is quite effective. A then unknown Matthew McConaghey (sp?) plays the sheriff's father in the flashbacks. Just a great story.

6. Nobody's Fool
Another gem of a story, this one set in upstate New York about a ne'er-do-well (Paul Newman) who is trying to reconnect with his estranged son. Surprisingly good performances from Bruce Willis and Melanie Griffith. Jessica Tandy, in her final role, was stellar.

5. The Usual Suspects
This movie kept me on my toes the whole time and totally engrossed me as well. Kevin Spacey and Gabriel Byrne were magnificent.

4. Shawshank Redemption
What Jango said. A wonderfully uplifting story when you think about it.

3. Goodfellas
One of the top three mob movies ever. Pesci and Liotta were unbelievable.

2. Godfather II
1. Godfather I
THE best mob movies ever. Nuff said. They RULE.

Mulletman
11-16-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Steve
Oh yea... take my last name .... put two and two together....

Caponetto

lol

TeriB19
11-17-2002, 12:17 PM
#10. Rain Man
I vowed if Dustin Hoffman didn't win the Oscar for his performance, I'd never go to another movie again. He was awesome and the movie was well made.

#9. The Manchurian Candidate
Extremely intense, well-made, well-acted movie. A classic that everyone should see.

#8. The Usual Suspects
Excellent acting by Kevin Spacey made this movie a must-see and kept you guessing until the last scene. Who can forget Kaiser Sozay?

#7. Brian's Song
Can't remember if this was included in any other category, but it's a tearjerker and it's a really good dramatic effort.

#6. Silence of the Lambs
Scared the sh** out of me for days. The intensity of the ending made this an edge-of-your-seat thriller that cannot be repeated in sequels (IMO).

#5. Saving Private Ryan
While this was probably already included in the Action/Adventure category, it was a dramatic masterpiece that didn't sugar coat things. Well acted, excellent casting. Great movie.

#4. The Best Years of Our Lives
Academy Award winning movie from 1946 about 3 different soldiers returning home from the war and adjusting to civilian life again. 3 different men, from 3 different classes of life all tied together to form one very memorable movie. I loved this flick.

#3. The Green Mile
This movie stayed completely true to Stephen King's book of the same name. John Coffey's character was so heartwrenching and the entire story was so emotional it was hard to watch it and not cry. (while reading the book at work I was sobbing at the end and people were looking at me like I had 3 heads).

#2. Forrest Gump
Tom Hanks. Do I even need to say more?

#1. Schindler's List
Well made, well acted, excellent direction, great use of black and white with the little girl in pink as the only color. Moving, powerful, emotional journey of a movie.

Read JDM
11-17-2002, 03:18 PM
Teri, your list is good. I forgot about a few of those.

Man, I haven't seen Rain Man in way too long...

TeriB19
11-17-2002, 05:47 PM
Thanks Read. We rented a movie last night and in the opening before the actual movie they showed a bunch of movies made by the same Production Company, and several of the movies I listed were in that promo. I had put the Manchurian Candidate in the back of my mind, as well as Rain Man. Both excellent flicks. I feel like I could do a old movie marathon if I had the time.

Mulletman
11-19-2002, 11:07 AM
rain man was great, usual suspects was awsome, i also feel a bit partial to dead poet society

TeriB19
11-19-2002, 07:02 PM
Witness!!!!! I'm not sure how I could've been so foolish as to have left Witness off the list. That was one of my all-time favorites. The fish-out-of-water aspect, the we-know-we-want-to-but-it's-forbidden aspect, this is so well made on so many levels. And Harrison Ford is brilliant.

Dogstar
11-20-2002, 11:45 PM
Witness is a good one, for sure, and so is Dead Poets Society. I think the same person directed both...Peter Weir? I'll have to check.

JenRN
11-20-2002, 11:47 PM
Both those movies were great!!!!!!!

TeriB19
11-20-2002, 11:50 PM
I believe you are correct. Great movies, both!

Dogstar
11-20-2002, 11:53 PM
My favorite scene in DPS is when Robin Williams is trying to get Ethan Hawke to open up. The yawping and then the stream-of-consciousness poetry. He makes him close his eyes and brainstorm. The spinning room, the picture of Walt Whitman, the amazing transformation when he and Williams connect through words. It's awesome. It gets me every time.

Siana
11-21-2002, 09:46 AM

:eek: you scare me,Mullet...

Siana
11-21-2002, 09:47 AM
The Godfather is a classic one!The Green Mile is great too

Mulletman
11-21-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Dogstar
My favorite scene in DPS is when Robin Williams is trying to get Ethan Hawke to open up. The yawping and then the stream-of-consciousness poetry. He makes him close his eyes and brainstorm. The spinning room, the picture of Walt Whitman, the amazing transformation when he and Williams connect through words. It's awesome. It gets me every time.

yea that was great, for the funniest part was when he answered the call in the church and said "hey its God, he said there should be girl here" and then gets an ass-beating. lol. but that movie was great, i would of never thought there would be a suicide scene.

Dogstar
11-21-2002, 11:40 AM
LMAO. Yeah, that scene was hilarious. The guy who played Charles "Nuwanda" (sp?) Dalton was perfectly cast. I didn't expect the suicide, either, but I knew it was coming once he put his headpiece from the play on the windowsill. Intense flick. Great casting all around, too.

JenRN
11-21-2002, 09:49 PM
I am REALLY looking forward to the new George Clooney movie: SOLARIS!!!! Looks really good!:)

TeriB19
11-21-2002, 10:14 PM
Can't wait to see George's bare butt!!!

Siana
11-22-2002, 09:19 AM
hahahhahahaa

JenRN
11-22-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by TeriB19
Can't wait to see George's bare butt!!!

You know it Teri!!!!!!! He is sooo hot!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Siana
11-22-2002, 09:57 AM
but there are hotter butts too :rolleyes:

JenRN
11-22-2002, 09:59 AM
Yeah like Mel Gibson!;) Would love to get a glimpse of Scott's too!:rolleyes:

Siana
11-22-2002, 10:02 AM
Yeah...Mel is a GOD!!!!!!!!Scotty too...;)

Mulletman
11-22-2002, 07:39 PM
im staying away from this

Siana
11-25-2002, 09:13 AM
lol i don't expect from you to like Scotty's or Mel's butt :P