++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Political Banter
Today's Posts «

Old 03-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #46
Chase
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Teacher on leave after alleged anti-Bush words

The student who taped the teacher's rants stated that about 20% of the class was devoted to the subject... that he posted radically liberal websites on his class website... called a Israel a terrorist state... said that America is the most violent nation on earth... made the Hitler/Bush comparisons... said that the American flag is like the Swastika/Confederate flag. Give me a break. This guy has an agenda.

Last edited by Chase : 03-06-2006 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #47
RMadd
USER INFO »

in my experience, it's best if teachers & professors at public schools and universities leave their own personal opinions outside of class debate & lecture. Ana, you seem confused as to why it wouldn't be good in public schools. the public is paying the teachers to present objective material. aside from the fact that the constitution disallows it, teacher-led prayer in public schools (to which all students present have not given their formal consent) is not permissible because it is a public institution, and the teacher would be expressing his or her own private beliefs.

the majority of those whom i've had in high school and college (public institutions, both) have done a pretty good job of keeping their beliefs out of any debates. granted, you can almost always tell which way a prof leans, based on smaller comments here and there, but they don't go off on extensive rants comparing fairly well-behaved officials to fascist nutjobs.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:02 PM   #48
RMadd
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp) Its hard to stay out of the debates,Chase...especially when STUDENTS want to know their teacher's opinions and ask them...and they usually do it...
i had a history teacher my junior year of high school, a couple of kids were always begging for him to reveal his political ideology (same for another one i had senior year). neither one ever did, and any desires of the students to debate our instructors were squashed. if you're giving in to the students' desires to have you at their level, don't worry us with it.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:08 PM   #49
RMadd
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp) Wow..it amazing how everybody here seem to know too much about History... without being at a college student (except for Chase who really studies History)..and sorry but I cant agree with you about what History is...or how a teacher must teach it...

But its amazing how you people THINK that know what History is...and its also sad that you THINK that History is simply the past...too sad people... and too wrong...

anyway...you are experts in History and seems that I have nothing more to say here...
absolutist! absolutist! burn!!!!!!

only kidding, of course

but, seriously, all these definitions of history are similar. and just because someone isn't concentrating in history doesn't mean they've never taken it and have no understanding of it. i might not be a computer science student, but i have a pretty good understanding of how to operate my computer. i might not be an english major, but i think i know pretty well how to use the language. i'm definitely not studying math, but i think i might be able to teach some of its fundamental concepts.

furthermore, Chase, Steve, eusebio, and uncertain aren't posting wacked out views of how to teach any subject. i'm pretty sure most people would prefer that instructors do not express their personal views (particularly in college, where we, the students, are directly paying our professors to enlighten us). that's how we roll in the good ol' US of A.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #50
RMadd
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Ana4Stapp) Like always , the best words here.!
you make it sound as though he's contradicting anything anyone else said. i think we all pretty much agree that debate is a good thing. this debate, strangely, breaks down such that those of us who live in the US feel it's not exactly appropriate for teachers to be bringing their own personal beliefs into the classroom. you'uns are making it sound like we're trying to suppress any debate that can speak negatively of our President.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:55 AM   #51
RalphyS
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase) The student who taped the teacher's rants stated that about 20% of the class was devoted to the subject... that he posted radically liberal websites on his class website... called a Israel a terrorist state... said that America is the most violent nation on earth... made the Hitler/Bush comparisons... said that the American flag is like the Swastika/Confederate flag. Give me a break. This guy has an agenda.

I did not read that from the original article, but if this is indeed the case, I find it incorrect.

Ralphy's Cool Music Site www.aowekino.nl
Old 03-07-2006, 06:05 AM   #52
RalphyS
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) you make it sound as though he's contradicting anything anyone else said. i think we all pretty much agree that debate is a good thing. this debate, strangely, breaks down such that those of us who live in the US feel it's not exactly appropriate for teachers to be bringing their own personal beliefs into the classroom. you'uns are making it sound like we're trying to suppress any debate that can speak negatively of our President.

I guess there is a thin line here, because the teacher has some sort of authority, but at least on college level there could be some sort of discussion/arguement between teacher and student. I suspect that Chase argues with teachers, who present a too liberal view on history as he sees it, and I think a class could benefit from arguements and debate like we have here, to see the pro's and cons of both sides and form an opinion.

As stated before I think the facts are the smallest part of history and not the parts that we can learn from most. When I look at history, the question should always be why and not when or who, sure as part of your knowledge the latter part have some importance too, but the reasons why history played out as it did, this helps us in our present to avoid making the same mistakes.

Ralphy's Cool Music Site www.aowekino.nl
Old 03-07-2006, 12:08 PM   #53
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve

The teacher was interviewed on the Today's show this morning and he said he believes it's his job as a teacher to bring up these issues and to describe different points of view as it relates to the topic. He wants to give the kids all sides of the issue so they can make an informed decision. Since when is Bush = Hitler a widely accepted point of view? You'd think he'd give reasons why Bush supports certain issues and why democrats like John Kerry are against it. That's two stances from opposite sides that are widely accepted. The Hitler thing is not. I think I've heard like 3 people say that before.

And aside from that, the teacher mentioned that this was during an "intro to world geography" lecture. I understand that current events, including Bush's State of the Union, can have an affect on geography around the world, but does comparing Bush to Hitler have any relevance to world geography, especially in an intro course?

And finally, before the interview, the teacher's lawyer was shown speaking about the case. Then in the teacher's live interview, he said almost word for word some rehashed comment about his freedom of speech in the classroom. Complete bs. He was well prepared on what to say.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Old 03-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #54
Chase
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by RalphyS) I guess there is a thin line here, because the teacher has some sort of authority, but at least on college level there could be some sort of discussion/arguement between teacher and student. I suspect that Chase argues with teachers, who present a too liberal view on history as he sees it, and I think a class could benefit from arguements and debate like we have here, to see the pro's and cons of both sides and form an opinion.

As stated before I think the facts are the smallest part of history and not the parts that we can learn from most. When I look at history, the question should always be why and not when or who, sure as part of your knowledge the latter part have some importance too, but the reasons why history played out as it did, this helps us in our present to avoid making the same mistakes.

The only time I debate in my classes is when the professor opens the floor to debate and the only time I will dispute a teacher is when they impose their beliefs on students. Before the last election, many of my professors would dedicate a portion of class time to bashing the United States and it government. I've actually had a teacher pretend to cry to convince students to vote for a proposition that she supported.

It was pretty ironic today though. One of my history professors was telling us about an upcoming essay that we are to write. She basically told us that anything between 1895 and the fall of the Soviet Union was fair game. However, she said that students shouldn't try to dive into an issue like the Iraq War because it's an ongoing even that deals with the present and the future... not past historical events.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:58 PM   #55
Chase
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by RalphyS) I did not read that from the original article, but if this is indeed the case, I find it incorrect.

This is according to the student who taped the teacher and he said all of this on live television last night while being interviewed by Sean Hannity (a conservative) and Alan Colmes (a liberal) on Fox New's nightly debate show: "Hannity and Colmes."
Old 03-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #56
The Lithium
USER INFO »

Michael Moore for president!!!!

"take care of yourselves.
take care of each other.
fuck gorge w. bush!
good night"
--corey taylor
Old 03-08-2006, 07:38 PM   #57
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp

Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) you make it sound as though he's contradicting anything anyone else said. i think we all pretty much agree that debate is a good thing. this debate, strangely, breaks down such that those of us who live in the US feel it's not exactly appropriate for teachers to be bringing their own personal beliefs into the classroom. you'uns are making it sound like we're trying to suppress any debate that can speak negatively of our President.

I find amazing that you, Chase, Stephen, Steve and Eusebio can agree with each other points about ths issue ...but I CANT agree with Ralphy's comment...Is this?

Why? Whos playing the absolutist role here?

Anyway Im really a fan of Ralphys words (we are the liberals right?) ...theres no surprise here...
Look at the stars
Look at the stars, falling down,
And I wonder where, did I go wrong.

"I know a girl (Gio )
She puts the color inside of my world"

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too
Old 03-08-2006, 07:44 PM   #58
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Ana4Stapp Send a message via MSN to Ana4Stapp

Quote: (Originally Posted by Chase)
Quote: The only time I debate in my classes is when the professor opens the floor to debate and the only time I will dispute a teacher is when they impose their beliefs on students. Before the last election, many of my professors would dedicate a portion of class time to bashing the United States and it government. I've actually had a teacher pretend to cry to convince students to vote for a proposition that she supported.

Wow ! You seem to have suffered a lot in class. lol...jk

Quote: It was pretty ironic today though. One of my history professors was telling us about an upcoming essay that we are to write. She basically told us that anything between 1895 and the fall of the Soviet Union was fair game. However, she said that students shouldn't try to dive into an issue like the Iraq War because it's an ongoing even that deals with the present and the future... not past historical events.

Thanks God I wasnt her student... lol jk...

But seriously whats the point you tried to make here?...yeah...Iraqs war isnt the past...its still the present... I cant see the point here...
Look at the stars

"I know a girl (Gio )

Old 03-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #59
Ana4Stapp
USER INFO »

Good news:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187507,00.html
Look at the stars

"I know a girl (Gio )

Old 03-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #60
eusebioCBR
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by The Lithium) Michael Moore for president!!!!
President of Sweden? You're more than welcome to him! Take him!!! please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please!!!!!!!!!

-Homer Simpson