++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 03-07-2005, 11:28 PM   #1
NeedforCreed
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Lynchburg Show-Feb. 19

This thread hasn't been started yet on the other forum, but I wanted to put a few thoughts together while it was still fresh. I've cleared it with Steve and he says it's alright to start a new thread and he would carry it over later. I've been a Creed fan for about seven years, bought all the cd's, including best hits. For some reason, I never thought I would have the opportunity to see them. I was working near D.C. in 02 and they were at the Nissan Pavilion about 25 miles out. I knew I missed a good chance and thought maybe I would catch them next time they came around. I saw in June of last year they had broke up and I said, well I guess I won't have another chance. At first I wasn't real hooked on Alter Bridge, but the more I listened to them, the more I liked them. I was working one day a couple of months ago and heard they were booked at a local venue and I couldn't believe it. This place they were scheduled to played called Cattle Annies which is primarily a a place where well known country acts routinely play, but I've never know a nationally recognized rock band to play there. Some of the older rock bands have played there, but not any current ones that I'm aware of. Of course, I went and bought the tickets, not wanting to miss out this time. At $20, this was a real bargain. Actually, I don't see how they could do it with two back-up bands.

My wife and I got there about 5:30, even though the show wasn't supposed to start until 8:00. Even at this time, there was a crowd lined up around the building as far you could see. They opened the gates after about an hour and we went in to find a good seat. We sat right beside the mixing board guy, which was neat. This place had plenty of room for the band to put on a good stage show and the light show was fantastic. I might add this place served some great food. This was really a great place to see them. I''m not sure of the capacity, but it's nice to catch a good band at a small venue. It's just makes it be on a little more personal level. Just a great place to see your favorite band and I'm hoping they'll come back.

We got to hear the sound check, which was alright. Submersed came out before the show started and did a preview of Hollow. That was a great, letting you know what to expect, as if you needed it. The show started a little late, which I didn't mind. It was definitely worth waiting for. Submersed came out and Donnie immediately got the crowd into it and made a connection, just like he had to have crowd participation and wouldn't take no for an answer. I'm a huge alternative fan and this band fits well into that category. I came to be a Submersed fan and ordered the cd just after the show. I would go to a show if given the chance just to see them. Great opening act.

Next, after a brief intermission, Silvertide came out. They also got the crowd into it. They were having a good time and made an effort to make sure we did, too. I didn't like them as much as I did Submersed, but they were an excellent band. Very talented and loved what they were doing. The only drawback was, they reminded me a little of a band of the 80's, which is about the only era in rock I'm not real fond of. Still, they put on a great show and I would see them, also, as a single act.

At last, after much anticipation, Alter Bridge came out. I'm not sure about the size of the crowd. As I said, this was a small venue. I'm guessing approximately 500-600, but when they came out this place goes nuts. They started out with ODR, which captivated the crowd right off. I'm not sure of the set-list, but I think this is close:
ODR
Watch Your Words
The End Is Here
Find the Real
Burn It Down
Broken Wings
Metalingus
Shed My Skin
Baba O'Reilly
Rock and Roll (No better tribute to Led Zeppelin)
Down to My Last

Encore:
In Loving Memory (acoustic)
Open Your Eyes

Myles did a great job of getting the crowd involved, also. After one song (I'm not sure of which one) he said something to the effect of, "You guys like the hard stuff, huh?" He was connecting with the crowd, making eye contact. You just felt like you knew this guy. Alter Bridge must have some really hard core fans (which is not a bad thing), for one time Myles looked down and said he noticed there were some who were at a lot of different venues and said, "Don't you guys ever work?" Then Mark would go on a riff and the crowd just couldn't get enough of it. I heard one fan say before they came out that he couldn't wait to hear Mark Tremonti play. I have a feeling there were several more with that same thought. As I said earlier, we sat right beside the guy who ran the mixing board, who I might add, did a super job all night. Would this be a great job or what? He really got a work out between the three bands and when Alter Bridge came out he really got into it! You would think this was his first time to have seen them. He seemed like a pretty cool guy. I didn't think he would talk to you at first, but my wife told him how I was a big fan and the three of us just starting talking. I told him I had been a fan for about seven years and he went over to a box and grabbed something and said, "If you've been a fan that long, then you're probably like this," and gave me two pearl guitar picks signed by Mark Tremonti. My wife ordered a signed photo of Mark through ebay that I'm going to frame with the two picks inside. BTW, my wife really enjoyed the concert and she's not even especially fond of rock in general. I gave the show an A+. You had to really look hard to find something not to like about it. Come back soon. Rock on Alter Bridge.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:54 AM   #2
TeriB19
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Great review, NeedforCreed, glad you enjoyed the show. Sounds like Alter Bridge definitely won you over! They have a tendancy to do that.

SP: Actually, we are setting that up.

MT: It was in your contract when you signed up with us.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:10 AM   #3
Trimontana
USER INFO »
Thats great man. They really are awesome on and out stage.
I hope you can have another chance to see them again Thanks for the review
Old 03-08-2005, 08:36 AM   #4
Anna1011
USER INFO »
dude great review, the guys really are awsome on and off the stage.

*You’re a part of me*

*And it’s your song*

*that sets me free*

*I sing it while*

*I feel I can’t hold on*

*I sing tonight*

*cause it comforts me*

"You laugh at me because i'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

find me here