++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > Community Central > Music Matters
Today's Posts «

Old 05-18-2005, 08:37 PM   #1
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
5/06/05 - My review of the final Cream concert

Cream
London, England
Royal Albert Hall
5/06/05

01. I’m So Glad
02. Spoonful
03. Outside Woman Blues
04. Pressed Rat and Warthog
05. Sleepy Time Time
06. N.S.U.
07. Badge
08. Politician
09. Sweet Wine
10. Rollin’ & Tumblin’
11. Stormy Monday Blues
12. Deserted Cities of the Heart
13. Born Under a Bad Sign
14. We’re Going Wrong
15. Crossroads
16. Sitting on Top of the World
17. White Room
18. Toad
19. Sunshine of Your Love (encore)

First I want to say thank you to Eric, Jack, and Ginger. They will most likely never read this, but having a chance to see Cream twice has been unbelievable. I never thought I would get the chance to see such a legendary band. A band that can be argued to be the best. I thank you for two great nights.

Friday night I wasn’t on the floor, but in a stall directly across the arena from the stage. It may not be as good as the floor, but there definitely doesn’t seem to be a bad seat in the house. This night was Cream after having three shows to get reacquainted with each other in front of a crowd. How did they do? Perfect. Or as close to perfect as they could get. Musically they were stronger than the night before. The only thing that could keep me from putting number four over three is that I was closer for three. The guys were great. The playing was impeccable, and best of all they were still enjoying themselves. This is a band that is just as cohesive and dynamic as they were in the sixties, and to be honest I love how they can go off on a tangent but stay near one another more. It never seems like it’s getting chaotic, but it’s always just right. You know, that’s how it is for me anyway. I really can’t put into words exactly what I want to say except to say the band is tight.

If possible “I’m So Glad” sounded better this night than the previous night. I really had a chance to listen to all of the musical parts and notice the greatness of this band. The night before I was on such a high just to see them that it could have hidden the fact that they weren’t as good as I thought, but this night proved I was right.

“Spoonful” sure hasn’t lost it’s touch from then to now. It’s hard to believe someone could make a song sound so good, but leave it to Cream to do it. Jack is amazing. I can’t say enough how much I love his vocals. I went from not really appreciating his vocals, to really liking his vocals, but today he is stronger than ever singing-wise. I’m not sure anyone could sing this song better than him. And the tone and drumming brought by Eric and Ginger respectively was great. Musical ecstasy for sure.

“Outside Woman Blues” is another song of incredible sheer bliss for me. Eric’s vocals are perfect, and so is his guitar playing. It’s possible I could just listen to “Spoonful” and “Outside Woman Blues” all night long.

“Pressed Rat and Warthog” was provided in a great deadpan sing-talk performance by Ginger. This song seems to be a treat for the band in that they can just laugh at one another or maybe laugh at Ginger. Best of all is seeing Jack and Ginger sharing genuine laughs with one another.

“Sleepy Time Time” has Eric laying down great guitar work. Jack is providing firm bass lines, and the vocals are excellent. This song has been a treat the two nights I’ve seen it.

“N.S.U.” is one of my favorite Cream songs, and just like the night before it was strong. A nice little jam was thrown in. It could have been longer, but for the night four minutes or so seemed just right. Jack’s bass playing was really pushing the song along, Ginger’s drumming was stellar, and Eric was just amazing on this song. I love the guitar work on it from all of the Cream boots, but I’m not sure they are better now. I’ll have to do some comparing when I get these shows.

Oh, here comes “Badge.” I’ve always liked this song a lot, but I’ve got a newfound appreciation and love for it now. That bass riff, the powerful bridge provided by Eric, and Ginger’s beats are supreme. Cream just perform it with such power and rawness. It really shows how well they meld and what three class musicians, who in my opinion are the best at their respective instruments, can do. Best of all is how they segue right into “Politician.” This song has such a great groove, and I love that it follows “Badge” in the manner that it does.

“Sweet Wine” just continued to step the concert up as we climbed higher and higher into this great musical night that we had. It’s one of my favorite Cream songs, and it really seemed stronger than the night before. I loved it.

“Rollin’ & Tumblin’” is such a bluesy treat. I love hearing Jack on harmonica with Eric and Ginger matching him for every note throughout the song. Once again the slide work by Eric was a highlight for me.

“Stormy Monday Blues” was fantastic. When I saw it in the setlist before my first show I was disappointed. This wasn’t a true Cream song, but after hearing it Thursday I really could not complain. And this night was no exception. Eric was so into it and the passion in his playing was absolutely moving. Cream make this song stronger than ever.

(to be continued)
The less I find that I understand" ~ Porcupine Tree

http://www.last.fm/user/SmilinSkullRing/
Old 05-18-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
“Deserted Cities of the Heart” has been a real treat for both of the nights. I was really happy to see it in the setlist. Jack, Ginger, and Eric didn’t disappoint at all as they provide amazing rhythm, guitar work, and vocals to a first-rate song.

“Born Under a Bad Sign” is another song I absolutely love to hear. Jack sings, or rather growls, these songs so powerfully that it makes you wonder if he really did have a liver transplant. What a strong performer he is whether bass or vocals. Eric provides some of the best blues work here, and it just makes me wonder if I could come close to picking my favorite performance of the night.

The building tension throughout “We’re Going Wrong” makes this song incredible. It’s just a really slowed down song that provides a great contrast to what is next. And then “Crossroads” starts. As if I’m not giddy like a child enough there are certain songs that just push my hyperactive thoughts and feelings into overdrive and this is one of them. Sure it’s not done at the break-necked pace we all hear on Wheels of Fire, but it’s done differently than the slower versions we have heard as well. It’s perfect for Cream 2005, but I sure wouldn’t have been upset to hear that fast version. ;-) Regardless, it’s still a rugged version, but done with the maturity of a wiser band. But a band that is just as kick-ass as before.

“Sitting On Top of the World” is potent, and the harmonica added by Jack really enhances the great blues power of this song. I just wish the bass wasn’t take away so much by Jack providing the harmonica, but I still loved it. It was different and quite good.

“White Room” was once again solid gold, and I love how Eric and Jack share the vocal duties on this song. It’s awesome to hear. Then, they go into “Toad.” Ginger was perfect. I’m in awe of his drumming. The rhythm, the agility, the power, and those African beats are just amazing. It’s one thing to hear him on an album and imagine Ginger of thirty years ago, but it’s a whole different kind of animal to see Ginger live and being better than anyone at 65.

“Sunshine of Your Love” was a top-notch performance. I preferred Thursday night, but then again I was almost against the stage! The jam at the end was so much fun to hear and watch, and then that was the last time Cream will take the stage. Or was it? I sure hope they decide to collaborate in the very near future, but on their own terms. This time there is no need to be burned out from touring. These guys get to control what happens. We shall see.

Afterwards, I went to see Saiichi Sugiyama and Pete Brown at the Hard Rock Café, and that was a neat way to finish off the night and early morning.

I almost forgot to mention that before the concert started I was heading out of the bar with this guy, and I saw Kirk Hammett of Metallica! Kirk used to be one of my top five guitarists, and he is still a guitarist I really enjoy. He walked right past me, and his arm brushed mine. A little brush with fame I suppose. I should have asked for a picture, but I didn’t remember until later that I had a camera with me. Plus, he was there to enjoy the show. During the show a guy next to me spots Ringo Starr in the crowd. When I look up I see him and then Paul McCartney along with Tom Hanks! All three were together enjoying the concert especially Paul. Just about every time I looked up at them Paul would be yelling, on his feet, and just really having a great time. And my friend in a section down from me tells me after the concert that Jimmy Page was setting right behind her! He seemed to really be enjoying the concert as well. All in all a grand finish to the four reunion shows.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #3
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
I love this picture of Jack and Eric when the concert ended on the final night. Tears of joy from me, but I'm a freakin' baby.

http://www.modernguitars.com/imagefi.../final/hug.gif

Old 05-30-2005, 03:28 AM   #4
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
How did I miss this one??? D'OH...Another great review, SmilinSkullRing...I can't tell you how jealous I am that you got to go to not one, but TWO shows. That's just great...
Old 05-31-2005, 12:56 AM   #5
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
Thanks a lot, K.

It was amazing. I hope the rumors of four NYC shows are true, but I haven't heard a thing since the final show.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:54 AM   #6
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
OMG *passes out from sheer anticipation if true*...that would rule. We'd have to meet up for sure!
Old 05-31-2005, 04:19 PM   #7
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
We would definitely have to meet up, and I would have to scrape together more money.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:17 AM   #8
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
I really hope it happens. That would be more than awesome.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:16 AM   #9
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
*crosses fingers*