++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Creed Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 05-26-2003, 11:17 PM   #1
benkenobi
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Thoughts on Brett Hestla staying with Creed or not?

Has anybody heard if Brett is for sure staying with the band on bass or returning to his original band Virgos. I've heard two different sides of the story from Creed.

I think it was Scott and Mark who said at first that they wouldn't pick up another permanate member for the band but when they needed a bass for touring they would always try to get Brett but if he was not available then they would pick up whoever.

The second side of the story I've heard is supposedly from an interview with Tremonti. He said something like the band thinks he will join but they would see about it when writing time comes around. I think Brett wrote lyrics for Virgos so do you think he would write lyrics to future Creed songs if he in fact joined the band.

What are your thoughts?
What's beyond it?"
- "Save Me" (Alter Bridge)
Old 05-27-2003, 12:06 AM   #2
Wylde-Tremonti
USER INFO »
i think in that interview...mark said IF anyone were to join Creed Brett would be the perfect guy....but i dunno...that was a while ago...so i dunno if things have changed.....i personally would like Marshall back...but i kno that that possibility is slim to none....

Jesus + Guitars = Life
Old 05-27-2003, 01:17 AM   #3
tremonti.net
USER INFO »
Marshall owns.
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA
________
Vapir no2 vaporizer

Last edited by tremonti.net : 04-06-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:31 AM   #4
Bridge of Clay
USER INFO »
ditto!
Old 05-27-2003, 08:48 AM   #5
benkenobi
USER INFO »
Here's what Mark said about Brett in that interview:

Brett Hestla To Join Creed?
Posted on 10/18/2002 at 10:56 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to a taped interview with Mark Tremonti on an Arizona radio station, Mark said: "Brett is the man for the job so we think it will be him. But we will see when writing time rolls around."
What's beyond it?"
Old 05-27-2003, 08:51 AM   #6
benkenobi
USER INFO »
I thought Brian did a good job too, but wouldn't Brett be more valuable to the band. I mean he can play bass and sing back-up vocals. Also remember Brett was lead guitarist for the Virgos so he could play guitar pretty good if they ever needed him to for anything. I can't think of a reason but he could do it.
What's beyond it?"
Old 05-27-2003, 10:19 AM   #7
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
I think it would be awesome if Hestla were to join. Marshall was a great bassist, but in my mind, never really fit the band. I had thought this even before he left Creed.

On a side note, does anyone else find it annoying when Hestla sings background vocals on some songs? On some live stuff I've seen, like on DSD (a few of the times they've done it), it sounds as though he's trying to sound like the Tallahassee Boys Choir to sing thier background stuff, but it comes out as more of a high pitched squeel of pain. If he were to sing more like he does with the Virgos, it'd be much better.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"
Old 05-27-2003, 01:42 PM   #8
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
well durring the begining of the weathered tour when he sand the back up vocals he didnt aim for the high notes.... after that, it all went downhill
Old 05-27-2003, 04:38 PM   #9
JenRN
USER INFO »
To be honest with you, I REALLY hated Brett the first time I heard Creed live in the Weahtered tour, in Febrauary 2002. I agree his background vocals were awful. After 5 times of seeing them he grew on me, I still liked Brain better, the sound was more "raw' but that is OK, It will work out.

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 05-27-2003, 07:09 PM   #10
benkenobi
USER INFO »
I don't think it is a fact of Brett not sounding good but rather that his singing style doesn't fit with Scott's. Mark Tremonti matches a whole lot better to Scott because they sing sort of the same way. Brett's style works with Virgos because it's their style, not Creed's.
What's beyond it?"
Old 05-27-2003, 08:40 PM   #11
Unforgiven Fan
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Unforgiven Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Unforgiven Fan
I still love brian but I always had the since that he did not truely fit in with flip, scott, and tremo. I wish he was still with Creed but his departure was not a shock to me. I have see what brett can do on bass, vocals, and guitar. He does a good on all three. His voice is different then mark and scott but they have do with what they have and brett does have a great voice. And if Scott did work on his voice and trained to sing better and more harmonic and meldious(spell?) then all three (mark {who should still be singing}, brett, and scott) would be a good vocal arangment. [has anybody heard Flip sing? maybe he is a good singer] He can also play the bass pretty good. I am not sure if he can actually write bass lines but as a player he is pretty good, and I do not want mark to do the bass again, no way. And if by some chance they do find a permenate replacement for brian, I think brett would be a good rythm guitarist and that would make Creed sound better because Mark's style sometime requires a second guitar to be playing. Mark does a good job picking up that slack but if Brett went to the rythm guitarist position it would help Creed. In my belief, Virgos is dead, I do not like saying that but I think it is. Even if brett did commit 100% to Virgos I doubt that band would make, not to be a the pestimistic person even though the sound they had was awesome.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:45 PM   #12
JenRN
USER INFO »
Ugh..... first of all Scott does not need "voice training to be more harmonic" His voice is strong and harmonic as it is. If anything he needs training on how to sustain it, not change it!

I have seen Virgos in concert, they were OK nothing great, I guess if Creed wants to keep him great, but I personally don't like his singing with Stapp's, it just does not match AT ALL!!!!! Mark sounds much better backing up Stapp, just the way I feel anyways!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 05-27-2003, 09:00 PM   #13
benkenobi
USER INFO »
Hey Unforgiven Fan,

About that rythmn guitar idea. Scott Stapp did play rythm guitar during the Weathered concert. He played guitar when I went when Tremonti into the "Stand Here With Me" solo. I know Brett could play it too but then again that leaves the bass open with nobody. Scott said Mark is teaching him to play guitar better for a couple of rythm parts and they'll incorporate that more into later stuff.

So after this year long break, some more practice to get it exactly right, and hopefully Brett joining the band the line-up will look like this:

Scott Phillips - Drums, percussion, keyboards
Mark Tremonti - Lead guitar, vocals
Scott Stapp - Lead vocals, rythm guitar
Brett Hestla - Bass, vocals

Just think how awesome it would be to have two guitarists rolling and all three singing vocals!!!
What's beyond it?"
Old 05-27-2003, 09:33 PM   #14
JenRN
USER INFO »
Yeah I can just see Flip on the key boards!!! LOL!!!

~Lenny Kravitz
"Baptized"
Old 05-27-2003, 09:37 PM   #15
Unforgiven Fan
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Unforgiven Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Unforgiven Fan
I think I am the only one to see how if they do have a second guitarist or if scott acutally becomes a decent guitarist and actually plays for the entire song then things will be better for Creed but Scott is not like james. Plus brett can write pretty good material and if they do allow him to be part of the process of the next album I think it is going to be better than ever for Creed.