++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Alter Bridge Talk
Today's Posts «

Old 11-10-2007, 12:43 AM   #1
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
What are the chances of "Blackbird" making it on the radio?

It seems that most critiques of the album give the title track big thumbs up. And it's easily my favorite song on the album, roughly one month in. But what are the odds of the song becoming a single somewhere down the road? I can't imagine any label releasing a single longer than 6 minutes, and 8 minutes is typically way too long for radio (especially on alt/modern rock stations). But I can't think of a chunk of the song that I would cut just to make it playable on the radio.

On the flip side, I honestly feel the song has the potential of breaking the band through to a larger audience. The mellower songs keep the old Creed fans hanging around. The harder songs might bring in a few new fans of some metal. But "Blackbird" has both. It starts out pretty mellow, but at the height of the song, it's just plain orgasmic. It would be a shame if so many people missed out on hearing this song.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Unforgiven Fan
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Unforgiven Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Unforgiven Fan
Re: What are the chances of "Blackbird" making it on the radio?

Blackbird as a third single would make since but rare is it to have a song that is over 4-5 minutes now (except for metallica). Blackbird will not be a single most likely because the band is trying to get its fanbase built up and radio is one of the ways to do so and have a song that some people might consider too long for play might hurt their chances.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
guitardude1985
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Unforgiven Fan) Blackbird as a third single would make since but rare is it to have a song that is over 4-5 minutes now (except for metallica). Blackbird will not be a single most likely because the band is trying to get its fanbase built up and radio is one of the ways to do so and have a song that some people might consider too long for play might hurt their chances.

Whats the second single?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »

I so wish radio would die, or at least find some way to transform itself from the mess that it is right now. The traditional models for "breaking through" just don't seem to be working unless you sell music that appeals to an audience that doesn't want to think too much, which is what radio aims for anymore.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
Scorpion King
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) I so wish radio would die, or at least find some way to transform itself from the mess that it is right now. The traditional models for "breaking through" just don't seem to be working unless you sell music that appeals to an audience that doesn't want to think too much, which is what radio aims for anymore.

I agree that the system needs to be overhauled, although Evanescence was able to make it big the traditional way.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:18 AM   #6
Unforgiven Fan
USER INFO »
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Unforgiven Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Unforgiven Fan

Quote: (Originally Posted by guitardude1985) Whats the second single?

no official word yet.

If they stay with the formula that have used with their first album and with Human Clay and Weathered when Flip, Scott, and Mark was in Creed, its going to be harder single which might be Come to Life, Ties that Bind, Coming Home, or White Knuckles.

Coming Home or White Knuckle has better chances to be played on radio.

It's really hard to tell with the good caliber of songs thats on the record because most can stand on their own.

Out of left field, my choice, would be Watch Over You. Yeah it is a soft ballad but is not woosy cookie cutter ballad like most bands do today.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:50 PM   #7
RMadd
USER INFO »

I thought I read on here or somewhere else that Ties That Bind is the 2nd single. But, on the copies we sell at Target, there's a sticker on the packaging that says including "Rise Today" and "Before Tomorrow Comes", so I wonder if that's gonna be #2.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:51 PM   #8
RMadd
USER INFO »

Ok, from everyone's favorite, most reliable internet source:

Quote: (Originally Posted by Wikipedia) At their concert on Oct. 30 in Dallas, Texas, the group recorded a live music video for a future single, "Ties That Bind". It was later announced by Michael Tremonti that "Ties That Bind" will be released as a single in the UK and Europe and that the video will be used to promote that single.

No citations from that, so who knows?

Old 11-22-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
Robin101
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) Ok, from everyone's favorite, most reliable internet source:

No citations from that, so who knows?

Ties That Bind would not generate any interest in AB over here. Before Tomorrow Comes would be a far better choice.

And then
They went on to say
That the pearly gates
Had some eloquent graffiti
Like 'We'll meet again'
And 'Fuck the man'
And 'Tell my mother not to worry'
~ The Trapeze Swinger
Old 11-25-2007, 05:56 PM   #10
Trees of Wisdom
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) I thought I read on here or somewhere else that Ties That Bind is the 2nd single. But, on the copies we sell at Target, there's a sticker on the packaging that says including "Rise Today" and "Before Tomorrow Comes", so I wonder if that's gonna be #2.

According to Michael, Ties That Bind will be the UK single. Wow, that's interesting about the sticker saying it includes Before Tomorrow Comes...the cd copy I got at Bestbuy says it includes Watch Over You. Interesting...
Old 11-26-2007, 06:15 PM   #11
RMadd
USER INFO »

Quote: (Originally Posted by Trees of Wisdom) According to Michael, Ties That Bind will be the UK single. Wow, that's interesting about the sticker saying it includes Before Tomorrow Comes...the cd copy I got at Bestbuy says it includes Watch Over You. Interesting...

Yeah, I was mistaken, it is Watch Over You.