View Single Post
Old 07-28-2003, 03:53 AM   #108
Lechium
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: Originally posted by mel!ssa
Can i just ask why you think times are better now than they were before?  Haven't you heard all the little old ladies saying (old croaky voice)  'oh, people aren't how they used to be... back in the old days we could sleep in our front yard and leave the door unlocked and everyone knew everyone else, all the neighbours were friends and would look after each other etc...'

Old ladies ALWAYS say that. And leaving yoru doors open, wasnt safe even 100 years ago exept for very few places (by the way there still are plases like that).
It's human nature to concentrate on the nagative aspect of change, and quietly swallow that good changes.

Internet had simplified our lives a lot: need to look ANYTHIGN up -- it's few clicks away. wanna communicate with peopel accorss teh globe? Find/book hotels fast? etc. However you hear a lot of people saying how internet is used to steal stuff, fraud, to corrupt people, etc.

World did change for teh better, because while hunger is still an issue, it is on much smaller scale. Because it's been over 50 years since a massive war, which is a big rarity if you look in the history. Because in many countries you can walk out on the street and say "i'm gay" and not get killed on the spot.

If you compare Europe 200 years ago with Europe now, than I guarantee you you'd choose to live now (unless you could be a way upper class 200 years ago).