Thread: Dimmu Borgir
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 06:16 PM   #4
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Death Metal - Death was the next step past thrash in levels of "hardness". It is most characterized by its very low, growly "cookie monster" vocals. The music ranges from very fast to very slow, but was almost always chaotic, often disregarding melody, choruses and other "catchy" elements of other genres. Regardless of guitar speed, the drumming is usually fast. Many bands of the era seemed to be in a contest to come up with the most revolting lyrics and album covers, concentrating on the imagery of people in various states of butchery. In fact, the name "Death Metal" is a reference to the vocals (of a dead man), and the primarily morbid lyrical content. This genre completely overwhelmed the metal scene from the early to mid nineties, but the oversaturation of death metal bands lead to its early demise (no pun intended). Though the music of this genre died off, versions of the death vocals live on in many modern metal bands. It should also be noted that there are still quite a few (good) pure death metal bands plying their trade, though the genres day in the sun is long gone.

Death Metal Bands: Death, Obituary, Morbid Angel

Industrial Metal - Industrial mixes sounds of industry, samples, and other computer-generated sounds or sound bytes with metal. It's pretty self-explanatory, as the music is just a mix of Heavy Metal and Industrial music, with the emphasis on metal. There is no definable genre typical lyrical content, except for maybe a "fear of machines" theme. Heheh. There are so few bands in this genre, that it's difficult to give a set time of origin or era of popularity.

Industrial Metal Bands: Brainchild, Fear Factory

Hardcore -

Hardcore Metal Bands: When two metal genres are mixed, what is created can become known as a "sub-genre". However, when metal mixes with non-metal music, it tends to create a whole new genre. Hardcore is such a mixture ... made up of 1 part metal and 2 parts punk. The vocals are either punk or death, the lyrical content usually deals with some topic of social unrest, and the music has the intensity of punk with the discipline of metal (i.e.: guitarists can play more than 3 chords). The scene is primarily underground, and appears to neither garner nor lose popularity with time.

Hardcore Bands: Sick of It All

Black Metal - Black Metal was yet another step taken in hardness, making the genre very appealing to those who search for such things, and very unappealing to a non-metal listener. Black metal is characterized by a total cacophonic wall of noise with the music often blending indiscernably into just loud, pounding noise. This is broken up with melody appearing behind this wall, or sometimes the noise just stops and reveals a simple melody. Keyboards are used to a great extent with some of the more "popular" black metal bands, and the vocals are generally a high-screeching death metal voice. (Sorry, that's the best rough description I can come up with) The imagery and lyrical content of the music is very dark, often delving into demonic and satanic issues. "Corpse paint" is often part of the image - which is basically white face paint with black designs. Though the genre appeared quite a while ago in the form of Mayhem, it's popularity peak was from the mid nineties to the turn of the millenia.

Black Metal Bands: Mayhem, Emperor, Satyricon

Gothenberg Metal - The name refers to Gothenburg Sweden, the hometown of the originators of this genre. The most common phrase for describing this genre is "melodic death metal". Vocals are usually death-like, but can drop into more dulcet "clean" tones. The music has the hardness of death metal, but the melody and rhythm of classic metal. This normally would classify it as a hybrid, but it's popularity and influence have garnered it the distinction of having its own category. This genre appeared in the mid-nineties amidst the fertile Swedish metal scene, and has continually grown in popularity. It is probably one of the most popular genres today, with In Flames sitting at the top of the pile.

Gothenberg Metal Bands: In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Ebony Tears, At the Gates

Power Metal - Very catchy music with rousing sing-a-long choruses. The lyrics are almost always about fantasy subjects, i.e: dragons, elves, etc. Keyboards are used a lot, the guitar isn't thrashy, and vocals are in the higher range. This is really the 90's resurrection of classic metal, with some influence from speed metal. Currently, this is a very popular genre (gaining popularity in the mid-nineties), but the scene is starting to get choked with too many bands.

Power Metal Bands: Blind Guardian, Nocturnal Rites, Stratovarius, Hammerfall

Gothic Metal - Gothic metal almost seems like a cross between Doom and Atmospheric, with extra instruments and a tendency to use bass-low vocals (or a death metal voice) interspersed with female soprano vocals to compliment the sound. It tends to be slow and have lots of extra atmosphere, sounds, and synths. In my experience, lyrics have been exceptionally poetic. There are not many gothic metal bands out there, as it is easy for the inexperienced group to drown in banality. However, there are a few bands out there that really stand out; namely Beseech. Theatre of Tragedy started off great, but has since been pooping out rave music. Side note: This genre is not to be confused with the very non-metal Goth scene and all its freaky wanna-be vampires.

Gothic Metal Bands: Theatre of Tragedy, Beseech

Rap Metal - Rap Metal, aka Rapcore, aka total crap, is metal with the lyrics rapped. Like glam, there are a number of bands that have cashed in on the image of rap metal without actually being a metal band. Limp Bizkit is a good example. There are some legitmate rap bands, but as I hate rap, I tend not to keep up. If I wanted to hear someone talk, I would turn on a frickin' radio talk show.

Rap Metal Bands: Korn

Atmospheric Metal - This genre almost defies being placed under the category of "metal" because of its calm nature, though guitars still tend to be distorted. Usually made by metal bands that have already proven themselves in another metal genre, this style is soothing, slow, and awash with sounds to make one comfortable. Except for Tiamat, most bands can't be described as "Atmospheric", except for a song here and there. Bands that have churned an "Atmospheric" tune or two are Opeth, Cathedral, and Theatre of Tragedy.

Atmospheric Metal Bands: Tiamat

Operatic Metal - The music is power metal, the lyrics are power metal, the catchiness is power metal, but the vocals are operatic in sound and training.

Operatic Metal Bands: Nightwish

Folk Metal - The name "Folk Metal" means that the group is playing metal influenced by the indigenous music of their culture or country. Not many bands are brave enough to allow local music history to have an influence on their songs, so these groups are pretty few and far between. (i.e. The Brittanic Skyclad mixing Irish folk music with metal.

Folk Metal Bands: Skyclad, Thyrfing

Souls...
they float like the memories I've opened,
Go...
and kiss all the butterflies I've broken,
Sow...
their wings to the coat of my misfortune,
Grow...
to reach the plains only I have spoken...

The Path ~by~ ManMade God