View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 02:49 PM   #1
titan9
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
'WWE Smackdown!' Star Guerrero Dies

Since I know that some of you here are Pro Wrestling fans, I thought I'd post this tragic, sad news in case you haven't visited any Wrestling-related sites lately:

-----------------------
MINNEAPOLIS - A World Wrestling Entertainment star was found dead in his hotel room Sunday in Minneapolis, where he was scheduled to appear that evening in a WWE show.

Eduardo Gory Guerrero, 38, didn't respond to a wake-up call Sunday morning, authorities said. His nephew, fellow WWE wrestler Chavo Guerrero, and hotel security at the Minneapolis Marriott City Center forced their way into the room and found him.

There were no apparent signs of foul play, police said. An autopsy was planned to determine how Guerrero died.

His nephew said Guerrero was open about past drug and alcohol abuse but had been sober for four years. Guerrero was married and had three children.

"This is a huge loss," said WWE chairman Vince McMahon. "Eddie was a wonderful, fun-loving human being. Eddie was a consummate performer."

Guerrero was a featured star on the UPN series "WWE Smackdown!" and son of Mexican wrestler Gory Guerrero. Last year, he became the second wrestler of Hispanic heritage to be WWE champion, though he lost the title four months later.

UPN also aired a special last year on his life, "Cheating Death, Stealing Life: The Eddie Guerrero Story." The program chronicled Guerrero's childhood and his struggle with drug addiction that almost cost him his job, family and life.
----------

I've always admired Guerrero's wrestling ability. He was an amazing performer with a ton of charisma. Not only that, but he was a truly good guy(from what I've heard) who had been sober/drug-free for 4 years. He battled his addictions, and it appeared that he had beaten them. The current speculation is that he had a heart attack. One can assume that was probably brought on by his previous drug-use, as a healthy 38-year-old guy just doesn't have a heart-attack like that without something being wrong. I think that makes this even more tragic: he cleaned up his life, was happily married with kids and was about to become WWE champ again. And then this happens. My heart goes out to his family, particulary his wife and kids. This has to be extremely tough for them. WWE Raw tonight and Smackdown on Friday will both be tribute shows, much like what the WWE did for Owen Hart after he died.

R.I.P. Eddie

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!