View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 04:01 PM   #46
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) That's not how I understood it. I thought distribution of any kind, even to a friend who doesn't have the CD, was illegal. You would have to prove somehow that you bought or own it as well. Aslo, wouldn't the person receiving the copied CD in essence, be stealing it because he or she did not pay for the music? That would be the same as if the person who was receiving the copied CD downloaded the music. In this case, someone else did the downloading. In any case, it would be really hard to prosecute a case like that, IMO, and hardly worth the expense.
Yeah, you'd have to prove you own it... I'm sure producing the case and booklet might be sufficient, though a receipt may be necessary... and in the spirit of innocent 'til proven guilty, the RIAA would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the copy you have is, in fact, not a copy from your original CD. I'm not sure. I've been looking on riaa.org for the statutes, but haven't come across anything yet.... I'll keep looking.