View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 07:28 AM   #1300
HeavenBesideYou
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Daily Bread

July 23rd

"What can we learn from Nehemiah?"

With little time to think, Nehemiah prayed to God. Eight times in this book we read that he offered a spontaneous prayer. Nehemiah prayed at any time, even while talking with others. He knew that God is always present, always in charge, always listening, and always ready to answer.

Nehemiah could confidently pray to God throughout the day because he had established an intimate relationship with him during times of extended prayer. If we want to be confident about our brief prayers, we need to take time to cultivate a strong relationship with God through times of in-depth prayer.

When I heard [how things were going in Jerusalem], I sat down and wept. In fact, for days I mourned, fasted, and prayed to the God of heaven. Then I said, "O Lord, God of heaven, the great and awesome God who keeps his covenant of unfailing love with those who love him and obey his commands, listen to my prayer! Look down and see me praying night and day for your people Israel.

Nehemiah 1:4-6

The king asked, "Well, how can I help you?" With a prayer to the God of heaven, I replied, "If it please Your majesty and if you are pleased with me, send me to Judah to rebuild the city when my ancestors are buried."

Nehemiah 2:4-5

Heaven