View Single Post
Old 04-25-2003, 02:25 PM   #23
robaustin1701
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Oh absolutely you folks have legitimate points. IT's sad when it comes to a lawsuit. But sometimes, someone feels to get the attention they think they need to an issue - the only way they find to do that is to file a lawsuit - to take it to the legal system. It is sad when that happens.

Have you ever watched Judge Judy or one of those other courtroom shows? If you do you'll see some pretty dumb people. I sit there and think "Man, what did it take that these people could not work out their differences between themselves, and they have to air them in public, and on TV no less." But sometimes, it just comes to that. It's extreme that someone filed a lawsuit just to get their $250 for a plane ticket back, or for a bicycle, or whatever it is. But sometimes it's about more than just that $250. Sometimes it's about holding the other person accountable for their actions. It's about the principle of the thing.

I can't speak for those people - I don't know their reasons for filing the lawsuit, but if they love Creed as much as so many other people do - I have a feeling - it's because they felt that Scott betrayed them. He betrayed them by not staying sober and giving them the best performance he could. He betrayed their confidence that when they went to a Creed show - like so many other people have in the past - that they would get the coolest and most awesome rock show experience they've ever seen. And they need him to know that. And they need to see that he - and anyone who would let him go onstage and betray each and every fan in that way - are held accountable.

Yeah - some of those people on Judge Judy could have just as easily said "F it, I'll suck it up, and get over it, and take the loss." But some of those people had a bigger issue in mind. They wanted to make sure not just that they got their money, but also that someone (the judge) validated their point, and made the other person see that what they did was wrong. It's an idealistic notion. We do not live in an ideal world. We do not strive for perfection. But we in this country do strive for excellence. And when something is so far from excellence that we feel gypped, we have recourse.

Yes, this threatens the band - in so many ways and on so many levels. This is why I call for them to respond quickly and decisively. The longer this lingers, the more the media juggernaut hangs on to it, and makes it bigger then the life of the band. It attaches a stigma to the band, that they will likely deal with for years to come.

But - they can do something about it. Since it's about the principle of the thing, and since the members of Creed ARE principled human beings, I hope they will embrace this as a way to show off their strong moral character, and not let their wimpy management types let this linger.

--*Rob