View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #282
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: recent purchases?

Muad'Dib! Awesome on the AIC and Black Keys! I love Rubber Factory a ton. You should pick up Thick Freadness by them, too. It's very good!

As for AIC fan sites, this one is the best, IMHO:

http://www.adbdesign.com/aic/

Some side projects:
Jerry Cantrell has two solo discs: Boggy Depot and Degradation Trip Vols. 1 & 2. They both are awesome. Boggy Depot is more mellow and different sounding. DT has more of the Alice vibe and Jerry's trademark harmonies.
Also, he contributed to Twisted Willie, which was a tribute CD to Willie Nelson. His song on that is called I've Seen All This World I Care to See.

Mad Season -- Above
This was a side project involving Layne Staley and Mike McCready, along with Mark Lanegan, Barrett Martin and Baker Saunders. It's a gorgeous record. Layne was amazing on this CD as was McCready. It was that lightning-in-a-bottle moment, for real. There is a video called Live at the Moore that features Mad Season music. It's awesome, especially an instrumental called November Hotel. McCready is a madman on this performance. It used to be available on amazon.com. Not sure if it's still there.

Sean Kinney (drums) was in a band called Spys4Darwin after AIC went dormant. I just got the CD, but I haven't heard it yet.

Mike Inez (bass) has been with Heart for a while now.

Also, there is hilarious VHS tape called the Nona Tapes. It was a promo for their self-titled CD and it's a riot. Those guys really had a good sense of humor. That also was on amazon.

If you really get into them, save up and get the Music Bank collection. It has some demos, unreleased stuff, and a couple of tunes that were new at the time. I think it came out in '99. The booklet that comes with it is great. A lot of it is written by Jerry and gives some insight into them as a band.

Here are their studio releases:
We Die Young (EP that's out of print, I believe)
Facelift
Sap
Dirt
Jar of Flies
Alice In Chains
Alice in Chains Unplugged (get the DVD, it's AMAZING)
Alice In Chains Live

They also have a few greatest hits compilations in addition to the Music Bank:
Nothing Safe: Best of the Box
Greatest Hits

And they were on some movie soundtracks
Last Action Hero -- What the Hell Have I, A Little Bitter (these also are on the Music Bank discs)

Jerry was on a couple of soundtracks:
Spiderman -- She Was My Girl
The Cable Guy -- Leave Me Alone

Anyway, that ought to get you started .

And Lechium. I love Opeth, too, and I still enjoy MOP and HC .