View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 12:08 PM   #53
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Re: Teacher on leave after alleged anti-Bush words

The teacher was interviewed on the Today's show this morning and he said he believes it's his job as a teacher to bring up these issues and to describe different points of view as it relates to the topic. He wants to give the kids all sides of the issue so they can make an informed decision. Since when is Bush = Hitler a widely accepted point of view? You'd think he'd give reasons why Bush supports certain issues and why democrats like John Kerry are against it. That's two stances from opposite sides that are widely accepted. The Hitler thing is not. I think I've heard like 3 people say that before.

And aside from that, the teacher mentioned that this was during an "intro to world geography" lecture. I understand that current events, including Bush's State of the Union, can have an affect on geography around the world, but does comparing Bush to Hitler have any relevance to world geography, especially in an intro course?

And finally, before the interview, the teacher's lawyer was shown speaking about the case. Then in the teacher's live interview, he said almost word for word some rehashed comment about his freedom of speech in the classroom. Complete bs. He was well prepared on what to say.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"