View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #54
Chase
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Teacher on leave after alleged anti-Bush words

Quote: (Originally Posted by RalphyS) I guess there is a thin line here, because the teacher has some sort of authority, but at least on college level there could be some sort of discussion/arguement between teacher and student. I suspect that Chase argues with teachers, who present a too liberal view on history as he sees it, and I think a class could benefit from arguements and debate like we have here, to see the pro's and cons of both sides and form an opinion.

As stated before I think the facts are the smallest part of history and not the parts that we can learn from most. When I look at history, the question should always be why and not when or who, sure as part of your knowledge the latter part have some importance too, but the reasons why history played out as it did, this helps us in our present to avoid making the same mistakes.

The only time I debate in my classes is when the professor opens the floor to debate and the only time I will dispute a teacher is when they impose their beliefs on students. Before the last election, many of my professors would dedicate a portion of class time to bashing the United States and it government. I've actually had a teacher pretend to cry to convince students to vote for a proposition that she supported.

It was pretty ironic today though. One of my history professors was telling us about an upcoming essay that we are to write. She basically told us that anything between 1895 and the fall of the Soviet Union was fair game. However, she said that students shouldn't try to dive into an issue like the Iraq War because it's an ongoing even that deals with the present and the future... not past historical events.