View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 01:22 AM   #9
ctfan
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Gabriel) Great job Dissillusioned! You asked a question, did some research, and came up with your own anwer which is completely accurate. It is indeed based on copies shipped and yes, the band did pay for and recieve the certification and the gold plaques.

Michael

Quote: (Originally Posted by ctfan) From the RIAA wesbsite....

"The RIAAŽ GoldŽ and PlatinumŽ Awards program was launched in 1958 in an effort to create a standard by which to measure sales of a sound recording. In the beginning, there was only a GoldŽ album award for the sale of 500,000 copies. As the industry grew, other awards were developed. The PlatinumŽ award (1,000,000 sold) was created in 1976 and with the advent of the compact disc and the subsequent increase in sales, the Multi-Platinum™ award was created in 1984. On March 16, 1999, the RIAAŽ launched the DiamondŽ Awards, honoring sales of 10 million copies or more of an album or single."

It's 500,000 SOLD, not shipped.

Sorry, I didn't think to add this to my reply. Here is a link for more info on certifications....

http://www.riaa.com/gp/certification/default.asp

This question was raised in another forum, and the above was my reply.
From the information given by they RIAA, Alter Bridge has not earned a Certified Gold Record. At least not by the standards given here. If in fact Michael you think they are wrong...by all means send them an e-mail, and alert them to please update their info....