CreedFeed Community

CreedFeed Community (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/index.php)
-   Faith / Religion (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sunday Dispatch (http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=13971)

the iron horse 07-30-2017 11:35 AM

Re: Sunday Dispatch

Sunday Dispatch.820

"LIKE A PATIENT & LOVING FATHER..."

I'll be brief. (It is possible)

These are "hymns." At least the way i hear them.

These "hymns" have been something like inventories, pep-talks & wrestle-lings on the way. They have been written in moments of elation & despair.
There's a lot of "worship songs" out there these days.

To my ears, a lot of it sounds like the strumm-y-acoustic-hippie-drug rock of the 70's replete with insipid lyrics of a repetitive mantra-like quality OR it sounds like 3 chords & a ripped off U-2 out-take.

I was raised on many an old Presbyterian or Lutheran hymn book. I figure that if "they" got it right the first time with their penchant for tuneful melodies & time-tested lyrics pounded off an old upright, then I wasn't going to better that.

I had something else to attend to. And so, here's what i want to say:
i learned early on that i had only one thing to bring to God. And that was my blindness, my shallowness, my emptiness & my sin.

That's still the case.

Sometimes a guitar and a song have been the only way i could "pray" to God. And as I said, these songs are some of my inventories, pep-talks and wrest-lings on the way.

Because the Good news of a Crucified & Resurrected Savior and the whole-ness He promises ONLY make sense when you know what the "bad news" is first. It's not pretty. And it's part of who you are.

"He maketh all things new."

Yes. He does get the last word...and I'm more convinced than ever that it's a good one.

But. I wrote these because, like a patient listener & loving Father, He waits to hear our words first...

~ bill mallonee

Passages from the liner notes of Hymns to the New Idolatry.

https://billmalloneemusic.bandcamp.com/music

the iron horse 08-06-2017 09:34 AM

Sunday Dispatch.821

Believe what you like, but don't believe everything you read without questioning it.

~ Pauline Baynes

the iron horse 08-13-2017 10:02 AM

Sunday Dispatch.822

“I think it is a relief for Glen and the family. I know Glen and I are of the same faith. We are both Christian and I know where he is now. I know he is in a perfect place.”
~ Alice Cooper

What a God we have! And how fortunate we are to have him, this Father of our Master Jesus! Because Jesus was raised from the dead, we’ve been given a brand-new life and have everything to live for, including a future in heaven—and the future starts now! God is keeping careful watch over us and the future. The Day is coming when you’ll have it all—life healed and whole.
~ 1 Peter 1:3-5 (The Message)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w66U-y4bQEc

the iron horse 08-20-2017 09:33 AM

Sunday Dispatch.823

I have good news, brothers and sisters; and I want to share it. Believe it or not, my imprisonment has actually helped spread the good news to new places and populations. Word has spread through the ranks of the imperial guard and to everyone else around me that I am in prison because of my faith in the Anointed One. My imprisonment has instilled courage in most of our brothers and sisters, so they are trusting God more and have been even more daring as they speak the good news without fear.

~ Philippians 1:12-14 (The Voice)

the iron horse 08-27-2017 09:24 AM

Sunday Dispatch.824

ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER:EXPLORED
~ American Digest

Prepare the table, watch in the watchtower, eat, drink: arise, ye princes, and anoint the shield.
For thus hath the Lord said unto me, Go, set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth.
And, behold, here cometh a chariot of men, with a couple of horsemen. And he answered and said, Babylon is fallen, is fallen; and all the graven images of her gods he hath broken unto the ground.

~ Isaiah 21:5-9 (King James Version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In6gCrGeZfA

the iron horse 09-03-2017 08:37 AM

Sunday Dispatch.825

Jesus went back into His own hometown where He had grown up, and His disciples followed Him there. When the Sabbath came, He went into the synagogue in Nazareth and began to teach as He had done elsewhere, and many of those who heard Him were astonished.

Those in the Synagogue: Where did He gain this wisdom? And what are all these stories we’ve been hearing about the signs and healings He’s performed? Where did He get that kind of power? Isn’t this Jesus, the little boy we used to see in Joseph’s carpenter shop? Didn’t He grow up to be a carpenter just like His father? Isn’t He the son of Mary over there and the brother of James, Joses, Judas, Simon, and their sisters?

Who does He think He is?

~ Mark 6: 1-6 (The Voice)

the iron horse 09-10-2017 09:52 AM

Sunday Dispatch.826

Do not discount the core message of the Christian faith without thoroughly questioning everything. Seek the truth.

the iron horse 09-17-2017 04:39 PM

Sunday Dispatch.827

The hiddenness of God

Thus far, I hope I've demonstrated why there is no inherent conflict between science and religion. I've also suggested several ways in which science can point us towards belief in God rather than away from Him. But I don't want to stop there. I want to tackle another question which I think is often overlooked: why isn't the scientific evidence for God's existence clearer? Even if we think that there is very good scientific evidence that God exists (as I do), why isn't the scientific evidence for God's existence absolutely undeniable?

~ Neil Shenvi

Read more….

http://shenvi.org/Essays/SAR/Hiddenness.htm

the iron horse 09-24-2017 03:32 PM

Sunday Dispatch.828

The first thing my family did when we moved was join the local church. The second was to go to the library and get library cards.

~ John Grisham

You are welcome to join FB group for the daily dispatch:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1472074063049585/

the iron horse 10-01-2017 08:42 AM

Sunday Dispatch.829

October, here's to you. Here's to the heady aroma of the frost-kissed apples, the winey smell of ripened grapes, the wild-as-the-wind smell of hickory nuts and the nostalgic whiff of that first wood smoke.
~ Ken Weber

I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers. It would be terrible if we just skipped from September to November, wouldn't it?
~ Lucy Maud Montgomery

I have been younger in October
than in all the months of spring.
~ W. S. Merwin

the iron horse 10-08-2017 12:40 PM

Sunday Dispatch.830

Christianity is realistic because it says that if there is no truth, there is also no hope; and there can be no truth if there is no adequate base. It is prepared to face the consequences of being proved false and say with Paul: If you find the body of Christ, the discussion is finished, let us eat and drink for tomorrow we die. It leaves absolutely no room for a romantic answer.

~ Francis Schaeffer

the iron horse 10-15-2017 08:19 AM

Sunday Dispatch.831

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

~ John 8:12 (NIV)

the iron horse 10-22-2017 06:21 AM

Sunday Dispatch.832

“When He [God] talks of their losing their selves, He means only abandoning the clamour of self-will; once they have done that, He really gives them back all their personality, and boasts (I am afraid, sincerely) that when they are wholly His they will be more themselves than ever.”

~ C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

the iron horse 10-29-2017 08:34 AM

Sunday Dispatch.833

The Screwtape Letters is series of messages from a devil named Screwtape to his nephew, a junior demon Wormwood training in the world, has Screwtape offering advice in order to draw a Christian away from God.

Three passages:

“Never forget that when we are dealing with any pleasure in its healthy and normal and satisfying form, we are, in a sense, on the Enemy’s (God’s) ground…He [God] made the pleasure: all our research so far has not enabled us to produce one. All we can do is to encourage the humans to take the pleasures which our Enemy [God] has produced, at times, or in ways, or in degrees, which He [God] has forbidden."

“In a word, we may reasonably hope for the virtual abolition of education when I'm as good as you has fully had its way. All incentives to learn and all penalties for not learning will vanish.The few who might want to learn will be prevented; who are they to overtop their fellows? And anyway the teachers--or should I say, nurses?--will be far too busy reassuring the dunces and patting them on the back to waste any time on real teaching. We shall no longer have to plan and toil to spread imperturable conceit and incurable ignorance among men. The little vermin themselves will do it for us.”

“I have looked up this girl’s dossier and am horrified at what I find. Not only a Christian but such a Christian – a vile, sneaking, simpering, demure, monosyllabic, mouse-like, watery, insignificant, virginal, bread-and-butter miss. The little brute. She makes me vomit. She stinks and scalds through the very pages of the dossier. It drives me mad, the way the world has worsened. We’d have had her to the arena in the old days. That’s what her sort is made for. Not that she’d do much good there, either. a two-faced little cheat (I know the sort) who looks as if she’d faint at the sight of blood and then dies with a smile. A cheat every way. Looks as if butter wouldn’t melt in her mouth and yet has a satirical wit. The sort of creature who’d find ME funny!”

~ C.S.Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

the iron horse 11-05-2017 06:34 AM

Sunday Dispatch.834

What’s so great about Abram’s faith?

Abram believed the Lord, and he credited it to him as righteousness.
~ Genesis 15:6 (NIV)

The Bible makes Abram’s faith the model for us all. (See, for example, Ro 4; Gal 3; Heb 11; Jas 2.) The surprising thing is that Abram never saw a Bible, had no church, possessed no creed, took no sacrament, heard not even one of the Ten Commandments and perhaps knew little about life after death.

Yet Abram’s faith shows us what really matters. He heard the voice of God and dared to simply believe he could trust him when he spoke. He risked his life, his security, his reputation, his future and even his son on the word that came from the God whom he could not see but in whom he believed. Can there be anything better to demonstrate that it is by faith, and faith alone, that we are saved?

We now have the Bible, the church, the creeds, the sacraments and the Ten Commandments. But God still looks for the basics—God still looks for hearts that will risk all to trust in him.

~ BibleGateway Quest Devotional

the iron horse 11-12-2017 08:50 AM

Sunday Dispatch.835

If you think God gave commands to keep us from having fun, then you my friend are not thinking.

the iron horse 11-19-2017 11:04 AM

Sunday Dispatch.836

Jesus repeatedly told both His followers and those who didn’t believe in Him that He was not only fully human, but He was also God in human flesh. On one occasion, for example, He boldly declared, “Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father” (John 14:9).

The question is, was he telling the truth?

Maybe Jesus lied when he said he was God. Perhaps he knew he was not God, but deliberately deceived his hearers. But there is a problem with this reasoning. Even those who deny his deity affirm that he was a great moral teacher. Jesus could hardly be a great moral teacher if, on the most crucial point of his teaching -- his identity -- he was a deliberate liar.

Another possibility is that Jesus was sincere but self-deceived. We have a name for a person today who thinks he is God. Mentally disabled. But as we look at the life of Christ, we see no evidence of the abnormality and imbalance we find in a mentally ill person. Rather, we find the greatest composure under pressure.

A third alternative is that his enthusiastic followers put words into his mouth he would have been shocked to hear. Were he to return, he would immediately repudiate them.

No, modern archeology verifies that four biographies of Christ were written within the lifetime of people who saw, heard and followed Jesus. These gospel accounts contained specific facts and descriptions confirmed by those who were eyewitnesses of Jesus. The early writing of the Gospels by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, is why they gained such circulation and impact, unlike the fictional Gnostic gospels which appeared centuries later.

Jesus was not a liar, or mentally disabled, or manufactured apart from historical reality. The only other alternative is that Jesus was being consciously truthful when he said he was God.

~ Paul Little

the iron horse 11-26-2017 11:02 AM

Sunday Dispatch.837

"For God so loved..."
~ First words of John 3:16

The New Testament originally written in GREEK. The basic reason why this language was chosen instead of Aramaic or Hebrew was that the writers wished to reach a broad, Gentile (non-Israelite) audience, not just a Jewish audience. The spoken tongue used by both the disciples and Christ was highly likely Aramaic, even though such a Semitic language was not the original one used by the Jews.

Greek was the leading written and spoken language of the eastern Mediterranean world when Rome ruled the world during the New Testament period. Indeed, it remained the dominant language, especially in the large cities of Alexandria, Antioch, etc., until after the Arab Muslim conquest, long after the time the Western Roman Empire fell in 476 A.D.

By the time of the New Testament church in the first century A.D., Hellenism had greatly influenced and changed the people and culture of Judea. Greek, not Hebrew, was the commonly used language of Palestine during the rule of the Roman Empire.

The ability to speak this language was a needed skill in the Roman world as it was used as the standard way of communicating, carrying out business, and so on. Greek was written and used during the early church period to communicate between people who grew up in different areas of the world and whose native tongues were quite different.
The well-known Jewish historian of the first century, Josephus, stated that the ability to speak Greek was very common.

Some evidence that Christ spoke the Greek language does exist in the Bible. Jesus utilized at least two Grecian words for love in his well-known post-resurrection conversation with Peter regarding how much he loved him. He used the word AGAPE, which is a deep love and PHILEO, which is brotherly love toward someone we like (see John 21: 15 - 17). These words have no exact corresponding word either in Old Testament Hebrew or in Aramaic.

AGAPE and PHILEO are two of the four works in Greek for love. It was a precise language.

The Four Loves:

Phileo Love

The first love is called “phileo” love and that is the love that the city of Philadelphia was named after…brotherly love. This type of love is that friends have for one another. This type of love can also exist between brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles and other family members but it is most frequently associated with a deep, abiding friendship…a love that is shared between the best of friends,

Eros Love

The next type of love is what is called in the Greek “eros” which is a romantic sexual love. You can probably see that is the root word for erotic.

Stergein Love

Most people probably have not heard of this type of love but they exhibit it without even knowing about it. This kind of love is what a sister and brother for one another and the kind that they have for their siblings and like phileo

Agape Love

This is the Greek word for love at its ultimate. It is the most self-sacrificing love that there is. This type of love is the love that God has for His own children. This type of love is what was displayed on the cross by Jesus Christ. In John 3:16 it is written that “God so loved (agapao) the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.”

Agape love is that which is always associated with the love of God and rarely does it occur when it involves one person in relations with another. The Greek word agape was hardly ever used in Greek-speaking societies but in the New Testament, it occurs 320 times.

~ Selected from an essay by Jack Wellman and the Bible Study Guide

Search Facebook b o r d e r c r o s s
and see other daily dispatches

the iron horse 12-03-2017 12:30 PM

Sunday Dispatch.838

“Truth is the most valuable thing in the world but often is hidden by a bodyguard of lies.”

~ Winston S. Churchill

the iron horse 12-10-2017 09:30 AM

Sunday Dispatch.839

People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.

If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.

The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway.

For you see, in the end, it is between you and God.
It was never between you and them anyway.

~ Mother Teresa

the iron horse 12-17-2017 10:23 AM

Sunday Dispatch.840

To me, there is nothing more comforting than knowing that there is a God of providence who is aware not only of every one of my transgressions but of every one of my tears, every one of my aches, and every one of my fears.

~ R.C. Sproul

the iron horse 12-24-2017 10:29 AM

Sunday Dispatch.841

Daily Gifts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSxPWpLPN7A

the iron horse 12-31-2017 11:12 AM

Sunday Dispatch.842

Two Truths

There are two truths about human beings that matter deeply.

We are all of us rag dolls. Flawed and wounded, broken and bent. Ever since the Fall, every member of the human race has lived on the ragged edge. Partly our raggedness is something that happens to us. Our genes may set us up for certain weaknesses. Our parents may let us down when we need them most. But that’s not the whole story. We each make our own deposits into the ragged account of the human race. We choose to deceive when the truth begs to be spoken. We grumble when a little generous praise is called for. We deliberately betray when we’re bound by oaths of loyalty. Like a splash of ink in a glass of water, this raggedness permeates our whole being. Our words and thoughts are never entirely free of it. We are rag dolls, all right.

But we are God’s rag dolls. He knows all about our raggedness, and he loves us anyhow. Our raggedness is no longer the most important thing about us. We were not created ragged. From the beginning there was a wonder about human beings that caused God himself to say “Very Good” as he looked at them in the department store window. There was a wonder about human beings that caused the writer of Genesis to say they had been made in God’s own image. There was a wonder about human beings that caused the psalmist to say they rival the divine beings in glory and honor. There is a wonder about human beings still that even all our fallenness cannot utterly erase.

There is a wonder about you. Raggedness is not your identity. Raggedness is not your destiny, nor is it mine. We may be unlovely, yet we are not unloved. And we cannot be loved without being changed. There is such a love, a love that creates value in what is loved. There is a love that turns rag dolls into priceless treasures. There is a love that fastens itself onto ragged little creatures, for reasons that no one could ever quite figure out, and makes them precious and valued beyond calculation. This is a love beyond reason.

This is the love of God. This is the love with which God loves you and me. Love is why God created us in the first place. Theologians speak of the fact that God created everything freely, not out of necessity. This is a very important idea—it means that God did not make us because he was bored, lonely, or had run out of things to do. God did not create us out of need. He created us out of his love. C. S. Lewis wrote, “God, who needs nothing, loves into existence wholly superfluous creatures in order that He may love and perfect them.” But the full extent of God’s love was shown not so much when he chose to create us. It was shown when we had become sinful and unlovely.

For God is fully aware of our secret. He knows that we are rag dolls. The prophet Isaiah said it thousands of years ago: “All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags.” (Isaiah 64:6, NIV) Every one of us has become ragged, so damaged by sin and guilt that it seemed like the logical thing left was to discard the human race. Toss it out and start over. But this God could not bring himself to do. So God proposed reconstructive surgery. God proposed to take the human race to where he could change filthy rags and remove the guilt and sin that left the objects of his love so unlovely. There really is such a place. It is called the cross.

~ John Ortberg

I wanted to thank you for taking time this past year for reading these dispatches.

You can view the daily dispatches on our Facebook group:

Happy New Year to you, your family, and friends.
Take care,

Michael

the iron horse 01-14-2018 11:39 AM

Sunday Dispatch.843

Forever, O Lord,
Your word is settled in heaven.

~ Psalm 119:89

the iron horse 01-21-2018 10:11 AM

Sunday Dispatch.844

What does it mean that God “speaks” through creation?

Article excerpted from Theology: Think for Yourself What You Believe by The Navigators:

God speaking through creation or the natural world means that when we look up at the stars or gaze at a California hill covered with wildflowers, we see the fingerprints of God. The more we fix our eyes on the wonder of creation, the more we must conclude that these things could not make themselves. Both the intricate design of creation and the way the universe appears to be fine-tuned for life declare that this couldn’t happen by chance.

Consider the following: If the electromagnetic force in atoms were weakened by a mere 4 percent, then the sun would immediately explode (the diproton would have a bound state, which would increase the solar luminosity by a factor 1018). If it were stronger, there would be fewer stable atoms. If the protons were 0.2 percent heavier, they would decay into neutrons unable to hold on to electrons, so there would be no stable atoms around. If the proton-to-electron mass ratio were much smaller, there could be no stable stars, and if it were much larger, there could be no ordered structures such as crystals and DNA molecules.

God doesn’t just speak through the order and design we find in creation, but also through the jaw-dropping beauty that surrounds us. From something as mundane as a group of bright red cardinals sitting in a leaf-bare bush on a snowy Midwestern day, to the spectacular views of nebulae in distant corners of the galaxy beamed to earth by the Hubble Space Telescope creation doesn’t just tell us that a Creator exists, but that this Creator is an artist without peer. The feelings of awe that come over us as we watch the waves pound against the rocks at the beach or hold a newborn baby for the first time are in fact God speaking to us through his masterpiece. Psalm 19:1-4 puts it this way:

The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display knowledge.
There is no speech or language
where their voice is not heard.
Their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world. (NIV)

While the order and beauty of the universe appear to be rock-solid proofs of God’s existence to believers, unbelievers find many ways to explain them away. Physicist Max Tegmark writes extensively on the way our universe is fine-tuned for life, yet he doesn’t see this fine-tuning as evidence of a Creator. Rather, he sees it as further proof of the existence of parallel universes where such fine-tuning does not exist, and life is not possible. For him, the fact that we find ourselves in a universe teeming with life is no more of a miracle than checking into a hotel and being given a room with the same number as the year of your birth. Room 1985 exists because all the other rooms exist. In the same way, Tegmark believes an infinite number of universes exist where every possible combination of physical laws rule. Some have life while others cannot. Other scientists regard what we call beauty as nothing more than the end result of natural selection playing out over eons of time. Bright red cardinals sit in bushes on snowy days because red feathers made the males of the species more attractive to the females. That’s why this trait became dominant in cardinals — no further reason.

For those who see the hand of natural selection in the world rather than the fingerprints of God, beauty is purely in the eyes of the beholder. Believers may hear God’s revelation of himself through nature, but clearly, not everyone is listening.

the iron horse 01-28-2018 10:13 AM

Sunday Dispatch.845

You have cast all my sins behind Your back.
~ Isaiah 38:17

We shall never understand the extent of God’s love in Christ at the cross until we understand that we shall never have to stand before the judgement of God for our sins. All our sins – without exception – were placed on Christ and he took the judgement we deserve. He finished the work of redemption.

If we are believers, we have already come through the storm of judgement. It happened on the cross. Don’t be bound by guilt or fear any longer but realize that sin’s penalty has already been paid by Christ completely and fully.

~ Billy Graham

the iron horse 02-04-2018 09:16 AM

Sunday Dispatch.846

“If Jesus rose from the dead, then you have to accept all that he said; if he didn't rise from the dead, then why worry about any of what he said? The issue on which everything hangs is not whether or not you like his teaching but whether or not he rose from the dead.”

~ Timothy J. Keller, The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism

the iron horse 02-11-2018 10:49 AM

Sunday Dispatch.847

I get up in the morning looking for an adventure.

~ George Foreman

the iron horse 02-18-2018 11:04 AM

Sunday Dispatch.848

One cannot simply read the Bible, like other books. One must be prepared really to enquire of it. Only thus will it reveal itself. Only if we expect from it the ultimate answer, shall we receive it. That is because in the Bible God speaks to us. And one cannot simply think about God in one’s own strength, one has to inquire of him. Only if we seek him, will he answer us.

~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

the iron horse 02-25-2018 07:27 AM

Across the bridge where angels dwell
Across the bridge where angels
Children play

Beyond the place where time is still
Beyond the place where time is
Beyond the place where time is still
Night is day

Close your eyes in fields of wonder
Close your eyes and dream

Along the path where heaven lies
Along the path where heaven
Along the path where heaven lies
All is clear

Ahead where home awaits the heart
Ahead where home is waiting
Ahead where home awaits the heart
Peace is near

Across the bridge where angels
Children play

Songwriters: HUGH DERMOT MURPHY, VAN MORRISON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KohqKmXSBE

the iron horse 03-04-2018 10:11 AM

Sunday Dispatch.850

So be careful how you live; be mindful of your steps... Make the most of every living and breathing moment...
~ from Ephesians 5 (The Voice)

Take Time for 10 Things

1. Take time to work: It is the price of success.
2. Take time to think: It is the source of power.
3. Take time to play: It is the secret of youth.
4. Take time to read: It is the foundation of knowledge.
5. Take time to worship: It is the highway of reverence and
clears the dust from our minds.
6. Take time to help: It is the source of true happiness.
7. Take time to love: It is the sacrament of life.
8. Take time to dream: It hitches the soul to the stars.
9. Take time to laugh: It is the singing that helps with life’s loads.
10. Take time to plan: It is the secret of being able to obtain security,
money and time in order to enjoy the first nine to the fullest.

~ Cary Grant’s notes on living, dying, and the art of happiness
from his daughter book “Good Stuff” Jennifer Grant

the iron horse 03-11-2018 11:01 AM

Sunday Dispatch.851

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
~ John 16:33 (NIV)

The most important element in human life is faith; if God were to take away all his blessings--health, physical fitness, wealth, intelligence--and leave me with but one gift I would ask him for faith. For with faith in him and his goodness, mercy and love for me, and belief in everlasting life, I believe I could suffer the loss of all my other gifts and still be happy.
~ Rose Kennedy

You can view the daily dispatches on this Facebook group:

You are more than welcome to join.

the iron horse 03-18-2018 07:50 AM

Sunday Dispatch.852

Cooper: You're a scientist, Brand.

Brand: So listen to me when I say that love isn't something that we invented. It's... observable, powerful. It has to mean something.

Cooper: Love has meaning, yes. Social utility, social bonding, child rearing...

Brand: We love people who have died. Where's the social utility in that?

Cooper: None.

Brand: Maybe it means something more - something we can't yet understand. Maybe it's some evidence, some artifact of a higher dimension that we can't consciously perceive. I'm drawn across the universe to someone I haven't seen in a decade, who I know is probably dead. Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space. Maybe we should trust that, even if we can't understand it.

~ Interstellar (2014)

the iron horse 03-25-2018 11:29 AM

Sunday Dispatch.853

We know that nature is described by the best of all possible mathematics because God created it.
~ Alexander Polyakov, Russian theoretical physicist

But ask the animals what they think—let them teach you;
let the birds tell you what’s going on.
Put your ear to the earth—learn the basics.
Listen—the fish in the ocean will tell you their stories.
Isn’t it clear that they all know and agree
that God is sovereign, that he holds all things in his hand—
Every living soul, yes,
every breathing creature?
Isn’t this all just common sense,
as common as the sense of taste?

~ Job 12:7-12 (The Message)

the iron horse 04-01-2018 09:48 AM

Sunday Dispatch.854

You must make your choice: either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon; or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.

~ C. S. Lewis

Genevive 09-01-2018 11:09 AM

and you will khnow the truth soon

Sammy767 04-26-2019 03:27 AM

If you are truth you are never loss.