Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
The Great Divide - Review [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : The Great Divide - Review

Mulletman
11-21-2005, 04:55 PM
I's dun stolinz me a copy of The Great Divide and basically, don't get your hopes up too much.

When I first heard how bad his voice got, I never thought it would be a problem. I figured the sound engineer would make him sound as if he were brand new, straight out of the box. Well, that was not the case, his voice is not bad, just not brand new in box. Think more along the lines of factory refurbished. Stapp's voice has two distinct qualities, one being he can actually sing and two he can be grungie without sound like, well - a bitch. When he sings at a normal pace and pitch his voice sounds nice, like the Weathered Tour. When he raises his voice, its starts to get a little raspie, like when he goes for the grungie parts. Its when he actually goes for the grungie parts that you start to feel a little uncomfortable. Kind of like when you turn the ignition key... after the car has been turned on. On a positive note, he doesn't attempt to force his [grungie-ness] voice a lot throughout the album. Its about a minimal 5 - 10% of the album that has some forced "grungie-ness" to it. With that being said, the problem that this causes is that the very first song, Reach Out, makes up the bulk majority of that 5 - 10%. Which is good in a way, but its bad because it is the very first song on the album. To most people that first track makes or breaks the album(present company included). The song Reach Out does one hell of a job expressing his anger, but it sounds as hes been yelling at everyone, individually since the band broke up.

If you have made it this far, congrats. Unlike the Alter Bridge fans that stopped reading after I said boobies. Now that I got negative apsect of out of the way, Its time that I speak of the positive. Unfortunately I am not good at reviewing music, so I'll be brief. The music is great and the songs are wonderful, it has Scott Stapp's signature and style written all over it. The one thing everyone got right is that the CD has the Creed-esque radio friendly feel to it. But in a smart way, not in the way that you feel as if you're listening to the same crap, with a new coat of paint. The accompanying band does a great job staying faithful to the music and making it thier own without hijacking. Imagine a mutial respectful artist taking over the job of a band they respect and admired as opposed to a band that is getting the break of thier lives actually getting to do what they aspired to be.

If you were, like me, looking for something to bitch smack Alter Bridge with, this is not it. Its more of a swift Tonya Harding blow to the knee caps. Something not powerful enough to end a career, but powerful enough get both parties thinking about thier next move.

In my opinion (because that all that [my narcisism says] matters), it was well worth stealing. This album is no Relearn Love and The Great Divide, like Open Your Eyes was, is the most Creed sounding song on the album. Personally I loved the album, Justify being my favorite song out of the whole album. To me it was well worth the wait. I strongly recommend the album to everyone. It is a hell of a lot better than anyone of us was giving him credit. Atleast give the whole thing a listen before you pass judgement. The reason I said not to get your hopes up too high is because that first song will kill you. It took me a good while to be able to sit down a listen to it again without passing judgement. You will know what I am talking about when you hear the song. The first thing that will go through you head is "great, the rest is going to be just like this." Predujices and skepticism aside, I promise you will like the album. If you are a Creed or Stapp fan, will love it. If Alter Bridge has you by the balls, will if anything enjoy it. If you're a self ritieous, holier-than-thou cynic that believes Tool and Pearl Jam are God's gift to this world keep looking.... you're an annoying bastard that nobody likes and you make baby Jesus cry.

Now discuss amonst yourself.

TeriB19
11-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Unfortunately I am not good at reviewing music, so I'll be brief.
Way to be brief, Al.

If you were, like me, looking for something to bitch smack Alter Bridge with, this is not it. Its more of a swift Tonya Harding blow to the knee caps. Something not powerful enough to end a career, but powerful enough get both parties thinking about thier next move. Now that is a review I can appreciate. And it's brief.

If you're a self ritieous, holier-than-thou cynic that believes Tool and Pearl Jam are God's gift to this world keep looking.... you're an annoying bastard that nobody likes and you make baby Jesus cry.

Now discuss amonst yourself.I love you.

INDIGOSTEVE
11-21-2005, 05:55 PM
good job on not being a reviewer! the cd rocks~

Dogstar
11-21-2005, 10:29 PM
If you're a self ritieous, holier-than-thou cynic that believes Tool and Pearl Jam are God's gift to this world keep looking.... you're an annoying bastard that nobody likes and you make baby Jesus cry.
I'm not self-righteous (well, not all the time ;) ), I can be a cynic and you know I love Tool and PJ...and I'm sorry for making baby Jesus cry :D!
That was a good review, though. I, too, like Justify the best. After that, though, I don't like the rest until it gets to Broken. At least with those two songs, he tried something different. I think the rest sounds too safe and boring, but that's just me. I gave it a 4/10. I really should give it more than two listens, though :D. I agree it was well worth getting early because I'm not sure I want to spend the money on it, unless it's 10 bucks or less at Target or Best Buy or something.

Mulletman
11-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Yea, I agree. If youre gonna steal it - by all means do it! You wont regret it. Otherwise, get it on sale or on iTunes for $10.

Steve
11-22-2005, 12:41 AM
You can always order it from Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000B5NHYU/rockdiscogs-20) :)

Mulletman
11-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Thats sad, you better be making a good amount of money for that shameless plug.

Steve
11-22-2005, 12:50 AM
hehe, about 5% I think... so around $0.55 :D w00t!

Mulletman
11-22-2005, 12:58 AM
way to sell your soul!

Muad'Dib
11-22-2005, 01:15 AM
Tool is gods gift to the world!! ;)

Ive given the album a few more listens and ill stick by what I said, its bout 6-7 out of 10. First 6 songs are great, kind of falls away after that. Its just good to hear his voice again :D

Dogstar
11-22-2005, 02:05 AM
hehe, about 5% I think... so around $0.55 :D w00t!
:laugh:

eusebioCBR
11-22-2005, 02:10 AM
I gave the album one listen and I liked, but not enough to listen anymore. The Great Devide is on my iPod and I listen to that everyday(that 1 song). I think I like it because it reminds me of CREED.
I thought DISCO was Gods gift to music :dorky:

ALECIA326
11-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Well I am new here but I thought I would post my review.. Okay I really like th album but I do not love it.. My favorite is probably Broken. It is worth it to buy it. But I think both AB and TGD are good not great they just seem great together.( writing the songs and all) Scott and Mark together seem great. I don't think it was all Scott and I don't think it was all Mark. I think they did it together and very well. Does that make sense. I like AB but I just don't like Myles voice I really don't know why it is great just not for me. But that is my review as short and sweet as I could get it.

Torn Signs
11-22-2005, 02:25 PM
Well I am new here but I thought I would post my review.. Okay I really like th album but I do not love it.. My favorite is probably Broken. It is worth it to buy it. But I think both AB and TGD are good not great they just seem great together.( writing the songs and all) Scott and Mark together seem great. I don't think it was all Scott and I don't think it was all Mark. I think they did it together and very well. Does that make sense. I like AB but I just don't like Myles voice I really don't know why it is great just not for me. But that is my review as short and sweet as I could get it.

I agree with everything you said, accept for not loving it, because I do. Otherwise with AB, TGD, and Mark and Stapp, I sure do!

sina2b
11-22-2005, 03:00 PM
the only ones I listen to are justify, fightsong, soround me and TGD and sometimes broken. the rest id probably listen to rarely and thats for scotts voice. but yea ill buy the CD.

TeriB19
11-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Alecia, first of all, welcome to the board. So nice to see someone join up and post in this manner. Not that everyone new to the board hasn't been a little slice of heaven, but most come here and voice their opinion in this manner:

Stapp is awesome, AB sucks. OR. AB is awesome, Stapp sucks.

So it's very refreshing to see someone new to the board post respectfully, saying that while some may like Myles' voice, it's not for everybody. I like that. Hope you stay around!!

Chris98GT
11-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Just heard TGD for the first time......

Stapp is trying so hard to hang onto Creed it's sickening.

I was a HUGE Creed fan and I was really hoping to like this album, but I just can't. It's pure wannabe-Creed, and not in a good way either! I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy a few hooks here and there, like on "Broken" and "Sublime" and even "TGD." But overall, the guitars are weak, the drums aren't powerful, and Scott sounds worse than ever.

Thank you Alter Bridge for continuing on in a new direction and not living in the past.

AB4LIFE

Oluf
11-23-2005, 11:08 AM
A lot of the songs are quite creedish I agree.
However there are also songs as Justify and Broken that really stands out and shows that he is able to make a new kind of music as well... I truely hopes he continues down that path instead of playing it safe.
Overall I think its a decent album and scores a 5/10 from me... If there had just been one more Justifyish song it would have gotten a higher score ;)

edit: oh and yeah it is really a shame that the first song, is one of the worst songs on the albums..but that is hardly stapps bad :)

ALECIA326
11-23-2005, 08:33 PM
Just wanted to say thank you to all of you that welcomed me.. I will probably stay around. I don't think this board is alot like the others.(you know what I mean you have to be on one side or another)

Dogstar
11-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Hi, Alecia, and welcome aboard :). No, this place isn't like a lot of other places. People here are generally respectful of each other, though there are a few tussles here and there. It's the nicest board I've ever been on :). Hope you enjoy your stay here.

And Oluf, welcome to you as well. I agree with you on Justify. A few more songs that took risks and I might have actually liked this album :D

Oluf
11-24-2005, 09:21 AM
*cough* Joined: Sep 2003 *cough*

;) ok ok I havent been that active on this forum so you could claim that I am new here hehe

Mr. Prophet Man
11-24-2005, 01:04 PM
I have to admit, his new CD sounds a little Creed-ish especially the first couple of songs, but all in all, great effort

Dogstar
11-24-2005, 03:04 PM
*cough* Joined: Sep 2003 *cough*

;) ok ok I havent been that active on this forum so you could claim that I am new here hehe
LOL, I was noting your post count, haha. Sorry 'bout that. Well, welcome to the posting world :D.

Mr.CreedFreakTN
11-27-2005, 12:57 AM
For me this is an awesome cd for Scott. I think it'll do better than Alterbridge's One day Remains. That is just my opinion though, Wind Up seems to be promoting better than Alterbridge. I think Scott will be just fine.

Robin101
11-27-2005, 02:19 PM
For me this is an awesome cd for Scott. I think it'll do better than Alterbridge's One day Remains. That is just my opinion though, Wind Up seems to be promoting better than Alterbridge. I think Scott will be just fine.

It does seem that Wind-Up have put everything behind Stapp. While I was walking back from the AB Bristol gig (amazing) on Sunday I thought 'While AB were performing in front of 1200 fans in Bristol on a cold, wet night, Scott Stapp is performing the National Anthem in front of thousands, upon thousands of people and millions worldwide for Nascar'.

I think the CD will do very well. If it doesn't nobody can blame W-U.

Take Care

sina2b
11-27-2005, 03:08 PM
It does seem that Wind-Up have put everything behind Stapp. While I was walking back from the AB Bristol gig (amazing) on Sunday I thought 'While AB were performing in front of 1200 fans in Bristol on a cold, wet night, Scott Stapp is performing the National Anthem in front of thousands, upon thousands of people and millions worldwide for Nascar'.

Seriously, if I was mark termonti I would leave WU and ditch them in 2 seconds cause they cant grow as much as they should since scott is getting all the attention, not only this will boost scotts career but its bad for AB's as people will think theyre loosers once scott gets all the attention.

crest tattoo
11-30-2005, 07:21 AM
Mullet, I just got on here, and your review hits to a T my opinion.
Seeing him on Regis and Kelly yesterday makes your first paragraph the strongest out there. It really concerns me for him to tour when he seems to be straining so hard to hit high notes. On both Leno and Regis, he did not stretch his voice to the capability he has, disappointing.
Should the straining continue, will he need to go back on meds? What will his tour do to him?
I also agree about wanting a swift kick in the ass to AB. I love Myles! Don't get me wrong, but I like that Scott has kept his mouth shut about most of this (granted, he was responsible his share!), but still he hasn't done any back stabbing and even thanked the rest of the guys in his album (probably while biting through his lip).
Anyway Mullet, thanks for the inspiring review. You should do movies!

facelessmike
11-30-2005, 08:10 AM
I was also glad to see that he thanked the guys on TGD...even though they probably would laugh at it.

crest tattoo
12-01-2005, 05:09 PM
He took the high road I guess. :stappchic

ctfan
12-02-2005, 02:00 AM
It's a great cd!! Couple of my faves are Justify, Hard Way, Let Me Go, TGD, and Reach Out. Awesome diversity!

facelessmike
12-02-2005, 06:50 AM
Got the new Rolling Stone today which had a review of TGD -
They were pretty harsh...only gave it 2 stars and had this to say:
"Too bad the most uplifting songs on The Great Divide usually feel as annoyingly blustery as the most downtrodden...Rarely have souls-searching confessionals sounded so bland."
I'll admit it took me a little while to really love it, but thats BS when every other crappy cd they reviewed got at least 3 stars. :mad:

mrowl
12-02-2005, 10:45 AM
"Too bad the most uplifting songs on The Great Divide usually feel as annoyingly blustery as the most downtrodden...Rarely have souls-searching confessionals sounded so bland."
I'll admit it took me a little while to really love it, but thats BS when every other crappy cd they reviewed got at least 3 stars. :mad:

but, they pretty much hit on how I feel about this album. I got if from Itunes the day it came out, and have now listened to it for a couple of weeks.

And I am very dissapointed. I interpret the majority of the tracks as seperating himself from Creed, and celebrating a new start.... which is fine. And most of those lyrics are fine, but... the music, the guitar, everything, is VERY blah. There is ZERO new creativity in this music. And I won't get into his voice... :( I doubt I go see his tour, I may if its a small venue, this really is a stab in the back, I was REALLY looking forward to something great.

dissapointed in Texas.

titan9
12-02-2005, 11:14 AM

What'd they give the new Darkness CD?

It doesn't surprise me that they'd bash him; seems like that's the popular thing to do for most of those magazines.

Evil_wizzzard
12-02-2005, 06:19 PM
I've bought the "The Great Divide" just today and I find it pretty much good. When I compere it whit other new realesed CD's like SOAD "Hypnotize" or Nickelback "All the right reasons" then the TGD is way over about them. I mean its not like Creed, but its a litlbitt different and thats not bad for me. I give 7 nuggets out of 10 to this debut CD. Chears!

Dogstar
12-02-2005, 06:37 PM
I'm glad it leaked because I was disappointed as well :(.