Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Just watched Stapp perform the National Anthem at the Nascar race today [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Just watched Stapp perform the National Anthem at the Nascar race today

titan9
11-20-2005, 04:02 PM
I have to say, he did better with it than I expected. Definitely wasn't as flat with this performance as he was with the one at the World Series in '04. He stayed in a low-pitch voice for most of the song, and only raised it here and there. When he did, he still didn't sound flat. Overall, I'd say he did good with it, considering that the song definitely isn't a perfect choice for baritones(on a side note: can you imagine Myles Kennedy singing it? He'd be perfect for it, lol). For those who didn't feel like sitting through the boring Nascar pre-game show and thus probably didn't catch the performance, PBF(www.passionbreedsfollowers) should have a video of it up fairly shortly, I'd imagine.

Discuss

INDIGOSTEVE
11-20-2005, 04:33 PM
this is a hard song for his type of voice he did start out shakey but then turned it around, overall pretty good job. now leno on wed night!

Steve
11-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Ya, the beginning was really off. He sounded better as he went on.

Dogstar
11-20-2005, 06:31 PM
That song is hard for a lot of people to sing.

Ana4Stapp
11-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Is that available on PBF?? I cant find it... :(

Bridge of Clay
11-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Sorry, but I thought it was bad: no timing, (minor) cracking voice on the beginning and struggle to raise his range by the end.

It was better than World Series, definately.

But I think the lack of music on the background got in his way, though. It's hard to get the rythim flowing when you're singing a capella.

uncertaindrumer
11-20-2005, 08:37 PM
If even you guys thought parts were bad... I'm sure I woulda hated it. A

I'll be off for a couple days. See you guys Friday.

Ana4Stapp
11-20-2005, 08:59 PM
^
any doubt about it?
:rolleyes:

titan9
11-20-2005, 09:16 PM
It's a tough song to sing, even for tenors WITH backing music. Gotta give Stapp props for doing a good job with it. Granted, he didn't sound as good as a female singer with great range would have, but he still sounded good, imo. I only watched it once, so I didn't listen for any kind of vocal imperfections. ;) I agree, he did start out shaky at first, but I think that is to be expected given all of the pressure/stress involved in performing the National Anthem in front of that many fans. Did anyone else notice how he flubbed toward the end? He said "as" instead of "o'er". After the song was done, you could tell he was a bit embarassed because he goofed it up.

Oh whatever will we do without your blatant Stapp hating for the next 5 days? :laugh: Just kidding, of course. Have a good Thanksgiving.

Bridge of Clay
11-20-2005, 09:24 PM
true that!

Man... I have a video that's frickin' funny! It's some sort of hockey game, I'm not sure if it's NHL though. She goes to the center of the ice to sing the national anthem... then she starts singing it and forgets the words, goes back to the entrance to get a paper with the lyrics and when she's heading back to the ice, she falls down!

LMAO! They totally boo'ed her. She ran to the locker room after standing up!

I can upload it if you want!

Ana4Stapp
11-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Definitely a hard song to sing.... and a capella... ;)

Oh whatever will we do without your blatant Stapp hating for the next 5 days? Just kidding, of course. Have a good Thanksgiving.

LOL!!!!! But one question, Titan...since Stephen didnt see Stapps performing National Anthem dont you think he should go to PBF? :rolleyes:

RMadd
11-21-2005, 02:21 AM
If even you guys thought parts were bad... I'm sure I woulda hated it. A

have a great Thanksgiving break!

Ana4Stapp
11-21-2005, 03:59 AM
If even you guys thought parts were bad... I'm sure I woulda hated it.

Bon Voyage! Wishing you a great Thanksgiving ;)

The Lithium
11-21-2005, 09:53 AM

Yeah, do that! :D

titan9
11-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Man... I have a video that's frickin' funny! It's some sort of hockey game, I'm not sure if it's NHL though. She goes to the center of the ice to sing the national anthem... then she starts singing it and forgets the words, goes back to the entrance to get a paper with the lyrics and when she's heading back to the ice, she falls down!

Heh, I remember that. It was a hockey game last year, I think. They showed it a lot on TV here in the US after it happened. Very funny clip, but you gotta feel for that girl. Afterall, it would be pretty embarrassing to (1) forget the words to the National Anthem and (2) fall on the ice. :laugh:

uncertaindrumer
11-26-2005, 12:16 AM
Not to be nitpicky but being a female or a tenor has nothing at all to do with it. Range obviously helps, but whether that range is along high octaves low octaves or any octaves, you can still sing it. C is a C no matter how high or low it is, so pitch doesn't matter.

But anyway just thought I'd add that. Anyway I'm back, although the Stapp bashing will probably be less. I don't think I hate hm as much as I used to. I think it all boils down to the fact that I think he was a total terd for playing WAWO and Higher with Tremo despite promises to the contrary and the fact that his voice is shot and I just don't like him anymore. But he was a good singer for MOP and parts of the next two albums so I'll guess you'll have to look elsewhere for your Stapp hate.

Or maybe not... :D

The Lithium
11-26-2005, 09:10 AM
I think that was terrible! No famous rock singer should sing THIS bad!!!

titan9
11-26-2005, 12:03 PM
His voice just wasn't cut out for it, imo. I think some baritones could probably do a real good job with it, but Stapp really can't. I still think he did a decent job with it, though.

uncertaindrumer
11-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Meh, his voice isn't cut out for it because it is no good anymore. Back in the day he could have.

The Lithium
11-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Meh, his voice isn't cut out for it because it is no good anymore. Back in the day he could have.
No, I'll have to agree. His voice may not be cut out for this, or perfect for it, but if you're a proffessionall singer you should hit the notes better than Stapp does!

titan9
11-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Even in his heyday, I still don't think he could have sung it as well as a tenor can. Now that his vocals have gone down a bit(because of the constant touring and prednisone), he definitely can't sing it that well.

uncertaindrumer
11-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Titan being a tenor has almsot nothing to do with it...

titan9
11-26-2005, 07:49 PM
All I'm saying is that, generally, tenors(and those who can hit high notes) do a better job with the National Anthem. We're used to singers with big range singing it, like Whitney Houston. We aren't used to baritones like Stapp.

uncertaindrumer
11-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Well yeah Whitney Houston has a big range. A really big one. So do other singers. They don't HAVE to be tenors. Scott just doesn't have very big range. He never actually had huge range and now it is depressingly smaller.

nthor
12-29-2005, 10:40 PM
As a die hard NASCAR and Creed fan did any one notice that Stapp FORGOT
“O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave” While singing before the Ford 400 at Miami

Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave

titan9
12-29-2005, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I noticed that, and he looked pretty embarrassed that he forgot it.

And, Uncertain, it may be a month later, but I agree that Stapp never had huge range. Still, I have always loved the smoothness of his voice, so the lack of Myles or Cornell-like range doesn't bother me much. If I want to hear great range, I'll listen to a MF4, AB, Soundgarden or Audioslave song(or Jeff Buckley!). But if I want smoothness, I'll probably turn to Creed(or Stapp) or perhaps U2. I can appreciate both types of vocalists. :D

evyllsummer
12-30-2005, 01:25 AM
well, Bono has some range...he's still pretty comfortable in his higher register, as evidenced in the song "Vertigo", which is about the same place he went in the older song "Pride (In The Name Of Love)"...and his lower range is represented on songs like "Running To Stand Still"...and, on songs like "In A Little While", you'll hear Bono doing the head voice to falsetto fades that Myles does (and got a little criticized for) on OYE...Bono doesn't show off so much these days, but he doesn't seem to have lost a step in the last 20 years, which is why he's one of my favorite singers ever...