Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
I now know its scott. [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : I now know its scott.

sina2b
11-12-2005, 07:14 PM
I loved creed and now I know 90% of it was because of stapp and his influence. Dont get me wrong as I think mark is an excellent musician but stapps unique and probably not a very good musician "technically".

Also I must add that i dont like his attitude towards things but thats his personal life.

shiver
11-12-2005, 08:02 PM
There is no technically about it. Stapp is a songwriter. He is not a musician what-so-ever. It is one thing to write a song, and hear it in your head, everybody can do that, it is another thing to actually play that music, and make it come to life.

sina2b
11-12-2005, 09:22 PM
I thought the singers voice is an instrument of its own kind which notes and other technicallities apply to it.

shiver
11-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Let me fix what I said earlier. Singer/songwriter. I'll leave it at that.

geletmote
11-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Dont write off mark, I used to think the same though, that scott stapp was wat made creed but ever since I started playing guitar I ve realised how muhc of an impact mark had and without each other none of it would be appealing.

stappissohot
11-13-2005, 02:13 AM
Well I say being a songwriter isn't that easy either, I'm one, it takes a lot of creativity to make a song, sure instrument playing is hard, but it takes a lot of brains and creativity to write songs, and singing is also a form of expression, you can tell a lot about a person by the way they sing.... I sing horribly, that tells me I'm meant to be a songwriter not the one who sings the songs, so you have to give Mark and Stapp equal credit here....

eusebioCBR
11-13-2005, 02:49 AM
Scott is a magnificent writer and I think Mark was a little involved in that back in the Creed days. I like Alter Bridge more, But Scott Stapp is a true talent.

Steve
11-13-2005, 11:37 AM
From what I understand, Mark wrote the song Torn, one of my favorite Creed songs :D

Faceless_Man
11-13-2005, 11:55 AM
From what I understand, Mark wrote the song Torn, one of my favorite Creed songs :D

You mean wrote the lyrics? I dont think so. He might have helped Stapp in certain areas, but I thought I remember an interview w/ Stapp where he described writing that song(what inspired him at the time, etc) Wasn't it Torn, or maybe MOP, that was written by Stapp even before meeting back up w/ Tremonti and deciding to start the band? I cant remember. Nevertheless, I would love to see your source for this info, Steve, cuz I honestly do not remember anyone saying Torn (lyrics) were written by Tremonti.

Bridge of Clay
11-13-2005, 12:48 PM
You mean wrote the lyrics? I dont think so. He might have helped Stapp in certain areas, but I thought I remember an interview w/ Stapp where he described writing that song(what inspired him at the time, etc) Wasn't it Torn, or maybe MOP, that was written by Stapp even before meeting back up w/ Tremonti and deciding to start the band? I cant remember. Nevertheless, I would love to see your source for this info, Steve, cuz I honestly do not remember anyone saying Torn (lyrics) were written by Tremonti.
Torn is all Tremonti.

Steve
11-13-2005, 01:08 PM

See http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showpost.php?p=187578&postcount=6

And for the rest of the thread, read: http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=5560

I'm sure you'll respond by saying Michael Tremonti isn't a reliable source, so believe what you will...

Faceless_Man
11-13-2005, 02:50 PM
See http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showpost.php?p=187578&postcount=6

And for the rest of the thread, read: http://www.creedfeed.com/community/showthread.php?t=5560

I'm sure you'll respond by saying Michael Tremonti isn't a reliable source, so believe what you will...

Took the words right out of my mouth. What's with the VH1: Behind the Music doc, then? Did Stapp not say that he "got up in the middle of the night and just wrote"? Seeing as how that post is dated early in 2004, and the band was having "agreement problems" (breakup inevitable) since Nov 2003, yeah I would say(if that really were Mark's brother) that of course he is gonna stick up for his bro. Let me ask you this. If Tremonti's bro, or even Tremonti himself, for that matter, AND Stapp were both to post their different claims to that song on these forums...who would the majority of you believe and why?

Who: Tremonti
Why: Because the majority of you are AB fans that gave up on Stapp.

Steve
11-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Stapp didn't say he wrote Torn in the VH1 music doc. The doc says he started writing his feelings down. Then they start playing Torn, showing the lyrics, and his friend starts saying something to the effect of he's being damned to his own personal hell. The lyrics/music of Torn fit the piece and the point they were trying to get across. That's all.

Steve
11-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Oh and the story about how he woke up in the middle of the night - they were referring to My Own Prison and not Torn.

The Lithium
11-13-2005, 04:05 PM
I loved creed and now I know 90% of it was because of stapp and his influence. Dont get me wrong as I think mark is an excellent musician but stapps unique and probably not a very good musician "technically".
I must give it to you... Thank you. Way too many Stapp fans here say things like that, without backing their opinions up with arguments or facts. You really did. Keep that up man! :D

Yes, that is correct.

Bridge of Clay
11-13-2005, 09:27 PM
Faceless_Man is banned... boo hoo!

one down, one to go. :D

sina2b
11-14-2005, 02:23 PM
Im sure all members of all bands have influences on lyrics and give out ideas and fixes and stuff but what I mean is that even though mark is an excellent guitar player there are lots of good or even better guitar players out there but stapp is unique.

I like stapps album over AB's. for me that explains it all.

adparaiki
11-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Torn is all Tremonti.

Mark wrote the music yes Scott wrote the melody and most of the lyrics mark just wrote a few bits here and their in torn.

Steve
11-14-2005, 04:27 PM
^ No, it's already been established that Mark has written the entire song, lyrics, melodies, etc.

The Lithium
11-14-2005, 05:13 PM
mark is an excellent guitar player there are lots of good or even better guitar players out there but stapp is unique.
Well, I have listened so much to Mark that he has become unique to me. If Mark had recorded a brand new solo, (without my knowlege, which I'd like to add is almost impossible), and someone played it to me without telling me who was playing, I'd problably go: "Is this Mark...? Mark Tremonti of Alter Bridge?".

And yes, Stapp IS unique, problably in a more obvious way. But I have to say I liked his voice much better when he was younger. It's so bloody awesome on Human Clay, (and the other Creed records for that matter)!!! Don't like his voice much on TDG.

The Lithium
11-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Mark wrote the music yes Scott wrote the melody and most of the lyrics mark just wrote a few bits here and their in torn.
No dude, PAY ATTENTION!!!

Creed7352
11-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Well, I have listened so much to Mark that he has become unique to me. If Mark had recorded a brand new solo, (without my knowlege, which I'd like to add is almost impossible), and someone played it to me without telling me who was playing, I'd problably go: "Is this Mark...? Mark Tremonti of Alter Bridge?".

And yes, Stapp IS unique, problably in a more obvious way. But I have to say I liked his voice much better when he was younger. It's so bloody awesome on Human Clay, (and the other Creed records for that matter)!!! Don't like his voice much on TDG.

then i take it you're aware of the michael angelo batio song that mark plays on, burn?

uncertaindrumer
11-14-2005, 07:38 PM
Im sure all members of all bands have influences on lyrics and give out ideas and fixes and stuff

The rythym section rarely has a say. Stinks but is kinda true. Unless you're like... Neil Peart.

but what I mean is that even though mark is an excellent guitar player there are lots of good or even better guitar players out there

True. Very true.

but stapp is unique.

False. Every other singer on the radio sounds like him. He's your everyday baritone throaty grune/postgrunge singer. not a darn thing special about him. Doesn't mean he can't be good--but he is not unique.

I like stapps album over AB's. for me that explains it all.

Meh. Neither of them are amazing. Stapp's has 1/2 good song, (maybe 2/3?) and AB's has three. In my opinion of course. but I am a picky picky person.

titan9
11-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Actually, and I may get flamed for this by you, I think Stapp's voice is pretty distinctive. He does not sound like Josey Scott, Brandon Boyd, Chad Kroeger or *insert modern rock vocalist here*. Are a lot of the vocalists on rock radio baritones? Yes. But Stapp's a more distinctive baritone. If you play me just 2 seconds of a rock song, I can tell you whether or not Stapp sings it. His voice is that distinctive. I know Stapp gets compared a lot to Vedder, and some say they can't tell the difference between the two......well you know what? My 5 year old niece can tell the difference....and she hardly knows a lot about music! I get so sick of the comparisons between the two, because there really is none. Except for the fact that they're both baritones. But they both have distinctive vocals.

Creed7352
11-14-2005, 08:51 PM
yes titan, but is that because you listen to stapp or listened to stapp so much?

uncertaindrumer
11-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Actually, and I may get flamed for this by you, I think Stapp's voice is pretty distinctive. He does not sound like Josey Scott, Brandon Boyd, Chad Kroeger or *insert modern rock vocalist here*. Are a lot of the vocalists on rock radio baritones? Yes. But Stapp's a more distinctive baritone. If you play me just 2 seconds of a rock song, I can tell you whether or not Stapp sings it. His voice is that distinctive. I know Stapp gets compared a lot to Vedder, and some say they can't tell the difference between the two......well you know what? My 5 year old niece can tell the difference....and she hardly knows a lot about music! I get so sick of the comparisons between the two, because there really is none. Except for the fact that they're both baritones. But they both have distinctive vocals.

Titan, you aren't exactly an unbiased listener... You listen to the man probably every day of your life. After listening to ANYONE for every day of your life, they would sound unique. And I don't mean to sound mean, but saying that Stapp *doesn't* sound like Vedder just ruins your credibility. Your niece can probably tell the difference because the songs sound different. Their voices are amazingly similar.

And I don't actually know which bands those singers are in--I know band names, not lead names--but Stapp sounds an awful lot like 3DD singer, Nickleback's singer, *insert random dude here* etc. I think he sounds a bit better than most--in his day, that is, now he sounds... ah... no comment--but he does not have a particularly distinctive voice.

Not that Mark is particularly distinctive. He's good but he isn't exactly reinventing the wheel.

titan9
11-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Titan, you aren't exactly an unbiased listener... You listen to the man probably every day of your life. After listening to ANYONE for every day of your life, they would sound unique. And I don't mean to sound mean, but saying that Stapp *doesn't* sound like Vedder just ruins your credibility. Your niece can probably tell the difference because the songs sound different. Their voices are amazingly similar.

I don't listen to him every day of my life. I only became a real Creed fan maybe a couple of years ago. Any knowledgable music fan can tell the difference between Stapp and *insert sucky modern rock singer here*. I never said that Stapp absolutely does not sound like Vedder; they are similar. But they are not, imo, as similar as everyone makes them out to be. Stapp isn't a Vedder clone; he's just got a somewhat similar style of singing. That was my point, and I was venting in a way, I guess.

And I don't actually know which bands those singers are in--I know band names, not lead names--but Stapp sounds an awful lot like 3DD singer, Nickleback's singer, *insert random dude here* etc. I think he sounds a bit better than most--in his day, that is, now he sounds... ah... no comment--but he does not have a particularly distinctive voice.

J. Scott and Boyd are in Saliva and Incubus, respectively. Two bands I don't like at all.

Stapp sounds like Chad Kroeger(Nickelback guy)? I'm sorry, but I cannot agree with that. Kroeger can't hit some of the notes that Stapp was once able to hit(could still be able to hit'em, but we'll have to see). Their vocals are pretty different, and I'm not saying that because I have listened to Stapp a good bit. Even that dude from 3DD....his voice is more southern, if that makes sense. Not as baritone as Stapp's and I'd venture to say that he can probably hit higher notes than Stapp could in his vocal prime.

The bottom line is this: is Stapp as distinctive, vocally, as Myles Kennedy or Chris Cornell? Of course not. Those are two amazing vocalists with a ton of range. But is Stapp exactly like every other modern rock singer? Heck no. He's somewhat distinctive, imo. That was the whole point of my post....well, that and to vent. :D

ctfan
11-17-2005, 01:09 AM

I agree. Stapp has never sounded or even come close to sounding like Vedder. They don't even come close to being similar either. Where or how that crap got started is beyond me, but the comparison is so old and tiresome it makes me gag.

I'm not a PJ fan, and I'll be honest and say that the reason why is...I don't like Vedder's voice. It's a phlemy, cotton-ball-stuck-in-the-throat sound, and the dude can't pronounce a word to save his freakin life. And that is what makes Vedder's voice distinctive, and/or unique. At least imo.

Stapp is southern and it shows. It's a good strong voice that is clear, the words are sharp, and it has a movement to it, for lack of a better word. He also presents it in a way that works on his songs. And that is what makes Stapp's voice distinctive, and/or unique, at least imo, and that's why I like listening to Stapp sing.

There are a couple others who have distinctive voices too. Aaron Lewis is one, and the lead singer for Shinedown is another. :)

titan9
11-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Yeah, Brent Smith(Shinedown's lead singer) does have a unique voice and he also has some very, very good range. Easily one of the better singers in rock today. Not a bad lyricist, either.

Bridge of Clay
11-18-2005, 04:02 PM
he really is?

*I'm not playing an ass* It's just that I read reviews he's too much of a screamer live... I need to learn more about Shinedown... Save Me is a good song.

titan9
11-18-2005, 04:39 PM
I haven't heard'em live yet, so I can't comment on that. I do own both their CDs, though, so I can comment on those. He does scream, although it is not that often on either CD, maybe a track or two on each. He has really good range(not Kennedy or Cornell range, but still good) and that is especially shown on their re-make of LS' "Simple Man". He's a good lyricist as well, although his lyrics are fairly simple. I really enjoy both of Shinedown's CDs, but I'd give the edge to their new one, "Us And Them". It has more of a southern rock feel than their first did, but it still maintains a Modern Rock sound.