Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Columbus Interview - Stapp Walks Out [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Interview - Stapp Walks Out

Steve
10-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Has anyone here heard this yet? It's in real audio format:

http://www.wbzx.com/media/ScottStappOnWBZX.ram

It's 24 minutes long and is an obvious setup for an ambush against Stapp. Basically what happened was the DJs opened up the interview talking about Stapp's ex-wife, asking how much money she got out of the divorce or something to that effect. And it all went downhill from there. Stapp said some "negative" things about Mark, Scott, and Brian as well (which is ironic as all the 'Stapp fans' kept saying it was Stapp who was keeping quiet about all that).

Towards the end of the interview the station's program director comes on and tells this story about how Creed was booked to perform for a station event and before the show he went to the tour bus to meet the band. The other band members were playing video games and never acknowledged the fact that this guy entered the room. Someone from the label then got Stapp to come over and talk to this guy. Nothing was said so the DJ noticed a hat Stapp was wearing (a golf hat) and asked Stapp if he played golf. Stapp's response was 'what tipped you off' or somethign to that effect. The guy basically goes on to say that he felt dissed by Stapp over that incident. They wanted Stapp to address that event but Stapp just walked out of the studio.

Personally I think those DJs were completely out of line. I'm glad Stapp walked out of there. He could have fought back at those guys but he realized it wouldn't have done anything positive. Apparently after he walked out some label guys from Windup were giving the DJs a look too. Those guy were probably in deep ****.

Finally, unrelated to the interview, I do have a little interesting tidbit. Someone I know personally had a very similar experience to the story the program director told. Back in 1997 when Creed first went out on tour, a small local band was opening for Creed at a bar. Before the show a member of this band approached Stapp back stage just to say hi and whatever. According to this guy, Stapp simply blew him off and did not talk to him at all. I find it weird that someone had a similar experience as this friend of mine had.

Either way, give the interview a listen. It's interesting to hear.

ohiocreedfan
10-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Check out the radio tour thread. We have been talking about it for a couple of days. I didn't hear the interview originally, but I heard them talking about it right after it was over.

Bridge of Clay
10-10-2005, 10:54 PM
I agree with Steve the DJs were out of line but the in the middle of the interview, Stapp saying he was Creed and all the other things.... so sorry for that, that wasn't good. bleh...

ohiocreedfan
10-10-2005, 11:01 PM
I agree with Steve the DJs were out of line but the in the middle of the interview, Stapp saying he was Creed and all the other things.... so sorry for that, that wasn't good. bleh...
I really think this interview was about attracting attention. This is a new show and they want it to be controversial since it replaced Howard Stern. I think a lot of it was for publicity and unfortunatly Scott was the first important person to come along. The show has only been on for 2-3 weeks.

Dogstar
10-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Yeah, it pretty much reeks of a setup, and as I said in the other thread, I thought Stapp was pretty restrained. It could have been a lot worse. He didn't take most of the bait, and more power to him for that.

Bridge of Clay
10-10-2005, 11:17 PM
they got what they wanted.

Ana4Stapp
10-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Like I said in the other thread related to it -this interview was kinda ironic and disrespectful in various moments...Those guys seemed to think they were funny...and they clearly didnt want to talk about his solo carreer or about TGD( :eek: ). Their intentions were different. They wanted to promote themselves instead of let Stapp promoting his single.

And yes,the guys story who was disappointed with Stapp was veeery long. However, it can be true. I REALLY make no doubt.

But start an interview talking about his ex-wife, asking Stapp how much money she got it out from divorce was...at least 'unbelievable'... :rolleyes:

Ana4Stapp
10-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Yeah, it pretty much reeks of a setup, and as I said in the other thread, I thought Stapp was pretty restrained. It could have been a lot worse. He didn't take most of the bait, and more power to him for that.

Well, I think he did take the bait...even though when the interview started he tried to answer in the same 'funny way'

Dogstar
10-11-2005, 12:21 AM
Well, I think he did take the bait...even though when the interview started he tried to answer in the same 'funny way'
I know. Not all of it, though. It could have been much worse.

Chase
10-11-2005, 01:59 AM
Like I said in the other thread... I don't blame Stapp for walking out. Those DJs were completely out of line and every question they asked was designed to stir up more controversy. On a side note... I think Stapp is done with respectfully answering questions regarding Tremonti and Co. Interview after interview with Alter Bridge has had Stapp bashing to a certain degree. I wish they wouldn't publicly go after each other... but if Alter Bridge does it... Stapp might as well defend himself.

Dogstar
10-11-2005, 02:41 AM
Yeah, it's sad to see such bitterness on both sides. They made some great music together.

Trimontana
10-11-2005, 07:48 AM
Dj's are like that the whole time, they play with their guests. In another radio interview that Papa Roach gave a couple of months ago, the Dj's were asking nasty questions to Papa Roach drummer David Burckner about his recent divorce with Steve Tyler (Aerosmith singer) daugther, Mia Tyler. The questions were really out of order like: "Hey man, now you are divorce, you can get laid" or "Well, now you will have to share half of your goods with her...but anyway she has daddy's millions" and more stuff. David could have reacted in a rude way or walked out and he didnt. Stapp could have done the same...play with the Dj's...he could expect all this stuff from them. Stapp is not an innocent and naive guy without experience....he has been almost the only Creed member speaking and answering in interviews in the past. He could have said loads of things (he knows hes liying the whole time) and dont say: "I fired them" (regarding to Mark, Brian and Flip). I dont blame the Dj's at all. Like one of the guys said at the end of the interview when Stapp left to the WU representatives: "Man dont look at me like that. We talked about what we were gonna ask him...we knew it". If Stapp is not ready to make radio interviews WU shouldnt allow him to make them. I dont think hes ready to make radio interviews anyway, i dont think hes ready to go to a radio station and say yes, it was my fault, lets move on and talk about my album. Hes too arrogant, and thats why the Dj's acted that way....they had a bad past expirience with him.

TeriB19
10-11-2005, 09:52 AM
"Creed was over after Human Clay." That's a bold statement.

"I fired them" "They didn't have self confidence, then when Creed broke, their heads swelled." Another bold statement.

"In Chicago, during Who's Got My Back Now I laid on the stage. I asked the audience, have you got my back? I looked at my band. Because they don't." Another bold statement.

My husband is listening to this with me, and he just quoted Joe Walsh from the Eagles when he sang: "I have a mansion forget the price, ain't never been there they tell me it's nice. It's tough to handle this fortune and fame, everybody's so different, I haven't changed."

Steve
10-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Whoops, didn't read the other thread. Sorry. heh.

Bridge of Clay
10-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Well... Mark said Creed was done after HC too...

titan9
10-11-2005, 10:55 AM

Guess that's one thing they can both agree on, heh.

"Creed was over after Human Clay." That's a bold statement.

"I fired them" "They didn't have self confidence, then when Creed broke, their heads swelled." Another bold statement.

"In Chicago, during Who's Got My Back Now I laid on the stage. I asked the audience, have you got my back? I looked at my band. Because they don't." Another bold statement.

Like I said in the other thread, so much for Stapp handling the interviews well. I know the other guys haven't been exactly kind during their interviews regarding Stapp, but based on all the interviews that Stapp gave over the past year, I thought he'd be the bigger man and keep his feelings about Mark, Brian and Flip to himself. It just looked that way, and to see him now saying/acting this way, is disappointing to me as a fan. It's just going to make him look bad in the end, and with all the blows his image has taken over the past 3 years, he doesn't need that. Granted, he was probably upset with how the jerks err DJs were talking to him, but that still doesn't make what he said any more in the right.

Trimontana
10-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Yeah Marcos, thats true but then he said he wrote all the songs from Weathered..... :rolleyes: i dont think so

titan9
10-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Well, looks like I can't use the "he's been nice in interviews" excuse to defend Stapp anymore. :laugh:

Trimontana
10-11-2005, 11:11 AM
^^Titan, you are always very honnest. I dont even get bother about what he said to AB...i get more upset to see this guy liying saying things like that at the Chicago gig he didnt forgot the lyrics of the songs, he added more....or like he blamed his doctor for giving him some medicaments....i think he was a bit old to know that what he was taken he couldnt mix it with alcohol?????Daaaahhhhh!!!!!!.....or stuff like he doesnt sound anything like the guy who talked to one of the dj's at the Creed gig years back. Come on???? What are lame lies and excuses, please....and he even has the bollocks to say...if you want i can show you the dvd from the Chicago gig. Thousand of people were there......i read reviews saying he was stinking alcohol..and those people were in the barrier. The best thing he could say to win more respect is say: sorry, i was wrong but now i changed...or somethign like that.

titan9
10-11-2005, 11:22 AM
I agree about him actually apologizing instead of making excuses or possibly lying. I'm still not sure who I believe about the Chicago thing. Mark has said that Scott had a shot of Jack Daniel's before the concert, and Scott has said that the Predisone was the problem. I guess it is entirely possible that he took Predisone and drank Daniel's, and it had some sort of bad reaction as you are not supposed to take medications with alcohol. If he did that, apparently he missed the memo and didn't realize the effect it could have on him.

I haven't listened to the interview yet(the more I hear about it on here, the less desire I have to actually listen to the interview myself) so I have no idea about the specifics of what he said regarding the Chicago concert. I'll go by what you posted, though.

He added more lyrics? I'm sorry, but if you are drunk or are having a bad reaction to a mix of alcohol and medications, and you're playing a gig that same night, you're most likely going to FORGET lyrics, not add lyrics.

There's obviously no telling if the Radio Producer's story is completely made up, or true. What I find ironic, though, is that Steve's friend has a similar story regarding Stapp. So it's entirely possible that Stapp was rude to those who approached him before/after Creed concerts. Perhaps he has changed by now, perhaps he has completely forgotten about how rude he was to some people, but that doesn't change the facts.

Steve
10-11-2005, 01:25 PM
And I just want to add that my friend who told me the story had no reason to lie. He told me this before Stapp was getting any negative press. I have no reason to not believe him either.

TeriB19
10-11-2005, 01:42 PM
I do think the DJ's were rude and just looking for shit, but I also don't think Stapp did himself any favors with some of his replies.

My husband, who is not involved with any of this at all, said: "Wow he doesn't interview very well, does he?"

Titan, no Stapp didn't say he added lyrics in Chicago, he said that basically he looked at the audience and said (I guess to himself) do YOU have my back, because these guys (the rest of Creed) didn't have his back. Verbally he didn't make that statement, but literally, he laid down onstage so that something had his back. I'm still not buying it. His excuse for the lawsuit was that 2 guys sued because they had lousy seats.

titan9
10-11-2005, 01:54 PM
Alright, thanks for further explaining that. I wasn't sure if he actually said that or not.

Trimontana
10-11-2005, 01:58 PM
I do think the DJ's were rude and just looking for shit, but I also don't think Stapp did himself any favors with some of his replies.

My husband, who is not involved with any of this at all, said: "Wow he doesn't interview very well, does he?"

Titan, no Stapp didn't say he added lyrics in Chicago, he said that basically he looked at the audience and said (I guess to himself) do YOU have my back, because these guys (the rest of Creed) didn't have his back. Verbally he didn't make that statement, but literally, he laid down onstage so that something had his back. I'm still not buying it. His excuse for the lawsuit was that 2 guys sued because they had lousy seats.

Sorry teri, it was me who mentioned that, thats why Titan got confused. I will give another listen to the interview, i was almost sure he did say that :wtf:

The Lithium
10-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Yeah, he really said Creed started to fall apart after the HC tour

creedchick02
10-11-2005, 05:24 PM
It won't work for me is the link still good, i wanna hear it.... :(

ohiocreedfan
10-11-2005, 07:01 PM

I just listened to the interview again and he says "I looked at the crowd and said, you got my back? Then I looked at the band and said, They don't".

ohiocreedfan
10-11-2005, 07:12 PM
I agree about him actually apologizing instead of making excuses or possibly lying. I'm still not sure who I believe about the Chicago thing. Mark has said that Scott had a shot of Jack Daniel's before the concert, and Scott has said that the Predisone was the problem. I guess it is entirely possible that he took Predisone and drank Daniel's, and it had some sort of bad reaction as you are not supposed to take medications with alcohol. If he did that, apparently he missed the memo and didn't realize the effect it could have on him.

I haven't listened to the interview yet(the more I hear about it on here, the less desire I have to actually listen to the interview myself) so I have no idea about the specifics of what he said regarding the Chicago concert. I'll go by what you posted, though.

He added more lyrics? I'm sorry, but if you are drunk or are having a bad reaction to a mix of alcohol and medications, and you're playing a gig that same night, you're most likely going to FORGET lyrics, not add lyrics.

There's obviously no telling if the Radio Producer's story is completely made up, or true. What I find ironic, though, is that Steve's friend has a similar story regarding Stapp. So it's entirely possible that Stapp was rude to those who approached him before/after Creed concerts. Perhaps he has changed by now, perhaps he has completely forgotten about how rude he was to some people, but that doesn't change the facts.
I think that the story from Hal Fish the Program Director is legit. I worked with his former step daughter during that time period and I know that her mother and Hal were divorced and he had a new girlfriend. That is one of the things he says in the story. Also, the day of the interview, Ronnie Hunter was talking about it on her program which runs right after the Grego Show and she validated the story. She was with the station back then as well. But, I still think it was somewhat of a set up.

tremonti4life04
10-12-2005, 12:55 AM
I think that 90% of that interview was a shot at trying to piss stapp off, the DJ's were out of line. BUT....that goes to show you really what kind of person stapp was. "I fired them..." said it all for me. I lost a lot of respect for stapp in the last 24 minutes, he could have had a little bit less of an attitude/ego towards his time with creed, and he didnt, i know a few people that stapp has blown off after concerts and shit like that. Stapp isnt a happy go lucky guy, hes not the calm air of religion and love that he claims to be. He is in fact a lose cannon. He's not a guy that i would trust or want to be around, because behind every nice deed, there is a motive. Behind every loving smile, there are viper fangs, and he personifies that.

shiver
10-12-2005, 03:23 AM
I think these guys asked some questions I woulda liked to ask, and Stapp's answers were what I thought they would be. The guys called him out and he tucked his tail. I guarentee, if I'm on the radio as a DJ, and I ever got to interview the guy, assuming he still has a career in a couple of years, I would call him out. He's a liar and phoney. Best quote;
"If we weren't on radio..."
What?

The Lithium
10-12-2005, 09:13 AM
I think the DJs were out of line, but I think Scott was too a little. It would've problably been best for him to stay in there, suck it up to this guy and say he's sorry. But Scott just doesn't seem to be that kinda person.

And I think he went a little hard on the AB guys... What did they ever do? Sure, they've said some bad things about Scott in some interviews, but I really believe that to be the truth. And still, they all give him credit for what he did, but they have also said Scott has a problem with taking too much credit. And I really think he did in this interview.

I gotta tell you, even though the DJs were pretty crazy in there, they had some good points.

"I fired the guys... They didn't want to split the money anymore when I wrote all the songs" - What the fuck is that supposed to mean? This prooves that Alter Bridge and everyone who agreed with them were right when they said Stapp is a lair.

HuMaN~ClAy
10-12-2005, 02:40 PM
i just listened to that interview and wow.... that was aweful.... i hope many other artists hear about this and kinda boycot that station.... Scott just gets out of the studio and comes to do an interview with these guys and he is completely set up... i've got the feeling that everything they talked about was rehersed and was designed to piss Scott off, but i don't think they got the real reaction they wanted... they know there r a lot of Stapp haters out there that would love to see him in another fight, and having the fight at their station would send ratings through the roof..... it's really disgusting to see something like that happen to an artist who's trying to get a new project off the ground.... i think everyone who had a hand in this should be fired... that was really just aweful

and i'm not just saying this cus it's Stapp... could have been Blink 182, a band i hate.... u just don't set people up like that

Trimontana
10-12-2005, 03:11 PM
^^^^Media is media. If he knew that was a set up he had the option to turn off that interview. But he knew that could happen and WU knew it too. So dont think Stappy is so innocent thinking he knew that interview was gonna be heaven. Anyway, every single artist make their beds to be treated by journalist in a every different way. The dj´s played nasty, yeah but he derserved it; he didt know to to deffend himself.

Dogstar
10-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Karma does come back and bite you in the ass sometimes, but I still think the DJ's were jerks.

titan9
10-12-2005, 03:19 PM
The second I decide to listen to the interview, it won't work. I think my copy of Realplayer(gosh, I hate Realplayer!) is faulty. I'm going to try a clean install of it, and then try to listen to the interview.

I think both the DJs and Stapp were at fault here. The DJs set Stapp up and acted like complete jerks(from what I've heard on here) and then, instead of backing off and leaving, Stapp got caught up in the situation and fired back. Neither one is completely innocent.

Dogstar
10-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Oh, I agree, but it still sucks that they went after him like that. I'm not the biggest fan of the way in which Stapp acted toward the end of the Weathered tour, but a set-up is a set-up, and it was done purely to get a rise out of him, which it did. They knew it would happen.

titan9
10-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Oh, I agree with you there. I don't care how much of a supposed jerk an artist is, they don't deserve to be set up like that in an interview. Even if that artist is Celine Dion. :D I do feel bad that Stapp was set up like this, but I am upset about what he said regarding his ex-bandmates. I know sometimes you don't think before you speak, but in an interview, you have to be careful what you say.

Trimontana
10-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Hey guys you are too nice...i am a bad girl :rolleyes: ...i still think he deserved it :D

titan9
10-12-2005, 04:04 PM
To quote Papa Roach(how ironic it is that I'm quoting them, lol) "compassion's in my nature". :laugh:

Torn Signs
10-12-2005, 04:07 PM
All I'm going to say is the road of rockstars is rocky and there are bound to be times it is steaming :mad1: and bound to be times it's shallow :o . :rolleyes: to those that make a huge deal out of it

Chase
10-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Well... I don't think anyone deserves that kind of treatment. If an artist takes time out of their busy schedule to hang out and talk to some DJs about their current projects... they should be treated with some respect. Asking Stapp about how much his ex wife got from the divorce is ridiculous. But why is everyone beating up on Stapp for doing something that Alter Bridge has constantly done for the past year? If Stapp felt like Tremonti didn't have his back... that's how he felt. If Stapp felt like Tremonti was doing something that wasn't beneficial for the band... that's how he felt. It's hard to take either side seriously because we all know that both sides have hard feelings towards each other. It's obvious that most of the people in here are biased towards one side or the other... but if Alter Bridge showed up to do an interview and the DJs were telling them that they were a cheap Creed knock off... everyone in here would be pissed off. There's a line that should be drawn regardless of who you support more.

titan9
10-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Well, I just listened to the interview. I'm going to have to side more with Stapp on this one. The radio guys(the chick wasn't that bad for most of the interview) were just complete jerks(and I could call them far worse names) the entire interview. Bringing up the divorce, Stapp's religion(at least in the way they talked about it) and that story was just completely distasteful. Calling him a "loose-cannon" to his face was a very stupid, disrespectful thing to do.

Stapp was, for the most part, restrained. He went along with it, even had some laughs. But eventually, he got sick of the way they were talking to him, and he left. If that were me, I would have left as well, although I would not have said some of the things that Stapp said. Stapp wasn't without fault in this interview, though. He said some things that stirred the pot. He came across vastly different in this interview then in, say, the interview he did for Christianity Today last year. He came across as being sorta hypocritical. He didn't help himself by saying some of the things that he said.

Overall, I'm still disappointed with some of Stapp's behavior, but I do sympathize with him in some regards. If I were in his shoes, I would have been ticked off after a while. There's only so much trash one can take.

Trimontana
10-12-2005, 04:44 PM
To quote Papa Roach(how ironic it is that I'm quoting them, lol) "compassion's in my nature". :laugh:

its a nice quote coming from ya titan ;) ...i have to love them :D

RMadd
10-12-2005, 05:16 PM
good for scott walking out on them... i was listening to the interview, and it sounded alright until the 18th minute, when they just started walking all over him. there's just too many quotes i can put down of the main interviewer being an egomaniacal prick... "this is my goddamn studio, we're gonna talk about what i want to talk about" and the like.... even if some of what they said might've been true (then again, it may be false), they obviously went about this interview with a negative standpoint from the get-go. wouldn't you think, if you've got a new single on the radio and an album dropping in less than 2 months, that the conversation would be focused mostly on that? sure they might make mention of past occurrences and such, but that shouldn't be the focus of the interview, as it was in this case. and they were talking about "being real." how real is it when you continue to trash someone's reputation behind his back after he's left your "goddamn studio"? seems pretty fucked up to me.

Dogstar
10-12-2005, 06:24 PM
...we all know that both sides have hard feelings towards each other.
That's the sad part. I wish they could just go about their business without trashing each other, regardless of who pushes the buttons.

titan9
10-12-2005, 06:33 PM
That's pretty much how I've felt since the break-up. They made some awesome music together, and I just wish that they could be respectful toward each other and towards the fans, and just let it go. What's done is done; bashing each other does no good.

Ana4Stapp
10-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Its like a divorce titan, after 10 years together which means some enthusiastics days plenty of love moments, in the end you only remember the other's faults and of course the boring launchs with his/her family ....:rolleyes:

titan9
10-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Yeah, but there are peaceful divorces, where those who have gotten the divorce remain on friendly terms. Too bad this couldn't be one of those divorces. :laugh:

ctfan
10-13-2005, 08:28 PM
What's really scary is the fact that the program director waited 8...count em 8 years to show his ass on the air. All because Stapp didn't run up and give him a big ol bear hug and sloppy kiss on the cheek and say "Hi!! how are ya, damn good to meet ya man". "Love the radio station man, glad to hear your selling our tix and playing our songs", and tell him how nice looking his chick was. I do believe that Stapp was, what 24 yo back then. I guess age didn't mean much to the program director. What a freakin jerk.

If that weren't bad enough, twice Stapp asked the man if he didn't get upset when the other guys ignored him, and twice the program director blew him off.

Good for Stapp for walking out. He's a better person than I am, I would have walked out 5 mins after that set-up of an interview started....and flipped them the finger when I left.

metalanus
10-13-2005, 09:56 PM
the announcer said Go*damn on the radio can they get fined for that by the FCC. Some dihard (not me) should write the FCC.

I agree stapp isnt acting christian about the breakup but the interview was obviously an atempt to get him to act defensive and angry and thats why the first question involved the x-wife. People know when celebraties are vulnerable and act to bring the anger issue out of them. im sure most people would have acted as stapp did. It was 3 against 1 and had stapp had the rest of his band there mabye he would'nt have been so vulnerable

Dogstar
10-14-2005, 12:03 AM
Yup, it was a set-up from the get-go and pretty shitty, no matter how Stapp's been acting.

ctfan
10-14-2005, 09:48 AM
the announcer said Go*damn on the radio can they get fined for that by the FCC. Some dihard (not me) should write the FCC.

I agree stapp isnt acting christian about the breakup but the interview was obviously an atempt to get him to act defensive and angry and thats why the first question involved the x-wife. People know when celebraties are vulnerable and act to bring the anger issue out of them. im sure most people would have acted as stapp did. It was 3 against 1 and had stapp had the rest of his band there mabye he would'nt have been so vulnerable

True, the announcer did say it was "their goddamn station" and that they "could talk about what they wanted". I'm sure they can, but Stapp doesn't, and he didn't. :)

creedlvr
10-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Is there another place I could find this audio in a different format? I am having trouble with this one and I really want to hear this.