Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
The great divide -Listen to it NOW!!!!!!! [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : The great divide -Listen to it NOW!!!!!!!

Ana4Stapp
09-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Check Stapp first song (preview-just 1:08) -Great Divide NOW!!!!!!!! http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=16697

what do you think????

titan9
09-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Is anyone else having trouble playing this? I hate the fact that it is in .rm format and that you have to use RealMedia player to play it. It keeps giving me a server error. I was going to stream it and use SoundCapture to record it into a .mp3 format file. But I can't even do that because the darn thing won't play.

Ana4Stapp
09-07-2005, 03:01 PM
it sucks titan, sorry you cant listen to it- maybe it is avaiable in another program, you know?

ctfan
09-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Is anyone else having trouble playing this? I hate the fact that it is in .rm format and that you have to use RealMedia player to play it. It keeps giving me a server error. I was going to stream it and use SoundCapture to record it into a .mp3 format file. But I can't even do that because the darn thing won't play.

Hmm, I didn't have any trouble listening to it titan. It's not a long clip, but I really liked it. It's not popish to me at all, it's very different. Can't wait to hear the rest of the cd!! :).

creedsister
09-07-2005, 03:03 PM
:mad1: i cant either so help me Lord i cant get realone to open i dont know if its the pc something i need to install :mad1: it just happend yesterday whe a friend sent me a video this really Sucks thanks anyways sweet pea !!! :hugs: :hugs:

titan9
09-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Hmm, I didn't have any trouble listening to it titan. It's not a long clip, but I really liked it. It's not popish to me at all, it's very different. Can't wait to hear the rest of the cd!! :).

*sigh* I'm beginning to believe that my PC and RealPlayer just don't get along very well. I think I'm going to uninstall RP, download the newest version, re-install it and see if that works. My copy of RP might just be corrupt. :(

creedsister
09-07-2005, 03:27 PM
its a sight phewwwwwwww i got it to open ok but now i cant hear it on real one or any of my other downloads its not my speakers either i dont know :mad1:

Frankie
09-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Just helping out guys...

Longer clip posted at scottstapp.com totally new update It Rocks!

We have a download link for the clip...and ALL the lyrics at passionbreedsfollower.com home page.

AMAZING....simply AMAZING !!! :D

ctfan
09-07-2005, 03:29 PM
*sigh* I'm beginning to believe that my PC and RealPlayer just don't get along very well. I think I'm going to uninstall RP, download the newest version, re-install it and see if that works. My copy of RP might just be corrupt. :(

Wait!! Wait!! Before you do that...go here.

www.scottstapp.com

They have a 2:15 clip up and you can also download it to Media too. Try that first and see if it works any better. I hope I caught you in time.

It's a great song!

titan9
09-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Wait!! Wait!! Before you do that...go here.

www.scottstapp.com

They have a 2:15 clip up and you can also download it to Media too. Try that first and see if it works any better. I hope I caught you in time.

It's a great song!

Thanks for posting that link! I honestly would have never thought of going to Stapp's official site, considering the severe lack of updates over the past year. :D

titan9
09-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Wow, I'm really liking this new update on Stapp's site. It is about time that they gave him a decent looking site.

As far as the song is concerned, I'm liking it. Very catchy lyrics, and I hear some Creed in the music. But it is not as Creedish as everyone has said that it is. Overall, I like it a lot and I'd give it a B+ on an A-D grading scale. Hearing this single makes me want to hear the new CD all the more.

ctfan
09-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Thanks for posting that link! I honestly would have never thought of going to Stapp's official site, considering the severe lack of updates over the past year. :D

Your welcome :). LOL, I know. With WindUp it's like they wait until overnight, then bam! :D

The song is great! For me, it's the intro that makes it so different, but yea I agree it's Creedish but not overly so. Goneblind sounds wonderful, and the lyrics, as always....tell a story. Excited about hearing the rest of the cd!

TeriB19
09-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Very very Creedish, it's not too bad. I can hear this being played on mainstream radio and I hear definite Tremonti-esque playing.

titan9
09-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Very very Creedish, it's not too bad. I can hear this being played on mainstream radio and I hear definite Tremonti-esque playing.

Lol, at least that dude finally got the Tremonti-esque guitar playing down.:D

The song is great! For me, it's the intro that makes it so different, but yea I agree it's Creedish but not overly so. Goneblind sounds wonderful, and the lyrics, as always....tell a story. Excited about hearing the rest of the cd!

The intro actually reminded me of Creed, but not so much the rest of the song. GB sounds alright and hopefully they sound just as good on the rest of the songs. If they do, it definitely bodes well for Stapp.

Ana4Stapp
09-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Oh My God! I cant believe Im going to say that: but I didnt like his song Great Divide(the lyrics are also poor...) :o ...eh...I was expecting more...
maybe the others songs are better ...but of course its great hearing his voice again

Bridge of Clay
09-07-2005, 05:36 PM
It rocks!!! I liked it!

Very good lyrics, the music is good, good tone, well produced, Stapp's voice a bit different but definately in shape!

The Lithium
09-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Yeah, yeah, I really think I will learn to love this song when I get used to it. At first I thought like: "What is this, country crap? I knew Stapp could never write songs on his own". But, I admit it Stapp fans, I was wrong! Really good, and melodic! I'm so looking forward to the album after this song! I'm so glad it's not all Creedish! I'm so thankful neither AB or Stapp goes totally Creed. And it's so cool to hear this man sing a new song! It's interessting how different it would've sound if Mark would've written the guitar part. (Just like it sounds VERY different with Myles instead of Stapp).

And man, I must say I love the promo-photo that's used on the site! It makes me thing of Higher, although Stapp has gained quite a few pounds now!

Man, I'm in a good mood now! :D Go SCOTT!!

Dogstar
09-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Damn, I'm at work. I'm going to have wait until I get home. Thanks for the info, though!!!

GregS
09-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Omg i love the song! I fell in love with it as soon as i heard it. So great to her his voice again! I cant wait for the album! Come on November 22nd!

Tremontixriffs
09-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Omg i love the song! I fell in love with it as soon as i heard it. So great to her his voice again! I cant wait for the album! Come on November 22nd!
Scott is back, this is totally awesome. I cant wait myself for the cd, im going to check limewire for more songs. Stapps voice sounds really good and it will be interesting to see what tremonti reaction to the song is..Maybe he'll realize what his bands missing,lol. But seriously I like both solo efforts, maybe in a couple years we'll get some creed again ..If not we'll have to enjoy what weve got.

GregS
09-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Scott is back, this is totally awesome. I cant wait myself for the cd, im going to check limewire for more songs. Stapps voice sounds really good and it will be interesting to see what tremonti reaction to the song is..Maybe he'll realize what his bands missing,lol. But seriously I like both solo efforts, maybe in a couple years we'll get some creed again ..If not we'll have to enjoy what weve got.

Totally man. I love alter bridge too but i was blown away by stapps song. I doubt creed will get bak together but that would be cool. :D

Agent D
09-07-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure what to say. It does sound very Creedish, to me. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's certainly not going to win over any new fans.

bobben
09-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Oh god how I have missed that voice! I almost got a tear in my eye when I first heard it! :o

GregS
09-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Oh god how I have missed that voice! I almost got a tear in my eye when I first heard it! :o

Ye same man. I got so excited , big smile appeared on my face wen i heard his voice

Ana4Stapp
09-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Great, baeautiful, creedish, good,amazing song etc...well... seems I' m all alone...lol :rolleyes:

creedsister
09-07-2005, 11:34 PM
:jam: :jam: :jam: I Love This One Strongly Written Prespective A Lot Of Stregnth Behind a message Of Love Just Perfect Its Ass KICKER oh your not alone sweet pea da Great Divide Hugs :hugs: :hugs:

rabidgopher04
09-08-2005, 12:23 AM
Ok, people, of course it sounds like Creed because...Scott was the voice of Creed! duh

I think that was one of the most distinguishing things about Creed was Scott's voice.

And man, I must say I love the promo-photo that's used on the site! It makes me thing of Higher, although Stapp has gained quite a few pounds now!
It looks like he's been working out much like Tremonti did before Human Clay and Weathered.

shiver
09-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Huh. Sounds like it could have been a song on Weathered. The music was hot, or in the red, meaning that it was louder than the vocals, I had no idea what he was singing. Only gonna add to the comparisons of Eddie (WTF is he saying?) Vedder.
This song is too poppy for me. I figured I would give stapp a chance, but you know what they say about first impressions and evreything.

The Lithium
09-08-2005, 01:35 AM
I'm not sure what to say. It does sound very Creedish, to me. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's certainly not going to win over any new fans.
I think Scott's plan with this song is to keep the old Creed fans. Just like AB did when they released Open Your Eyes as their first single!

And I think the verses are VERY unCreedish, must because Mark would never play the guitar part like that.

Chase
09-08-2005, 04:30 AM
Very good and catchy lyrics. I'm really liking what I hear!

Dogstar
09-08-2005, 05:29 AM
Hmmm, not sure I like it. I didn't hate it, and it's only a clip. I'll have to wait until I hear the whole thing. The chorus did sound very Creedish, especially the guitar parts. His voice sounded good, though.

Muad'Dib
09-08-2005, 06:14 AM
Its nothing special from what I heard, but his voice is definetly sounding good too. Lyrics didnt really do anything for me but hopefully the rest of the album is alot better.

cariocawlad
09-08-2005, 08:46 AM
I don`t think it sounded creedish. Nothing in this song remember me of Creed. I'm not sure if I like or not the song. The only thing I can say in the moment that It is diferent of anything I was expecting. Sometimes It looks like country, sometimes pop rock...Give me sometime...

Peace.

P.S.: Anyway, the song made me more and more curious about Scott's album...

caseycarson
09-08-2005, 09:11 AM
I like it better than anything on the Alter Bridge cd........

Mr.CreedFreakTN
09-08-2005, 10:02 AM
I really like it. It is catchy and has some good hooks to it. I've caught myself singing the chorous alot today.

IsThisTheEnd66
09-08-2005, 01:15 PM
I like it... at first it sounded like OLB imo but thats just me... anyways can't wait till the 22nd (( my b-day is the 24 )) so i know what i want.

revisfoot
09-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Wow. I love it! Congrats and kudos to Scott. I damn near cried when I heard it! It's very powerful, and it's so awesome to hear that man's voice again!

The Great Divide!

The Lithium
09-08-2005, 02:43 PM
I like it better than anything on the Alter Bridge cd........
Eh.... WHHAAAAAATTTT?!?!?!?!

caseycarson
09-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Eh.... WHHAAAAAATTTT?!?!?!?!

True.....Stapp was always my favorite part of Creed, though.

scrit
09-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Wow, That clip was alot better than I was expecting, thanks for the information!

uncertaindrumer
09-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Typical responses from the board... cept Ana, who I figured would like it.

It is pretty much what I expected. A little more Creedish than I expected actually. Well this is going to do for him what OYE did for AB. Nothing. Except maybe scare away potential new fans who wanted something besides Creed.

titan9
09-08-2005, 07:27 PM

It is pretty much what I expected. A little more Creedish than I expected actually. Well this is going to do for him what OYE did for AB. Nothing. Except maybe scare away potential new fans who wanted something besides Creed.

Lol, I was just thinking "I wonder how long it'll take for uncertain to post something."

Anyway, I can't say I agree with you. I think this song is really radio-friendly. Because of who Stapp is(believe it or not, people have not forgotten about Creed; I hear'em on the radio at least once per day) and because pop radio stations need another Rock artist to shove down our throats(because, really, that new Nickelback song is already getting old and Creed was huge on pop radio at one time), I think this single is going to get a good amount of airplay. If that happens, he'll gain some new fans, he'll sell a good amount of albums, he'll be considered a successful solo artist. Is this the most original song ever? No. Does this song have a Creedish sound to it? A little bit, imo. But to say that it will do nothing for Stapp, I just don't agree with that.

Greenworld
09-08-2005, 07:27 PM
I totally expected this kind of song from Stapp as his first single..and thats not a good thing necessarily. The tone in the verse isnt as creed as it usually is...but the chorus...wow that is the biggest tremonti rip off i've ever heard. The drum beat is incredibly plain, just follows the guitar...The rhythm of it is so creed. Even the palm mutes at the end of the chorus were a little too expected. And Stapp's voice...sounds almost like a Scottish (no pun intended) folk song or something. I mean yea the guy sounds a lot healthier...but i guess this song didn't do anything for me. Im sticking with AB.

Ana4Stapp
09-08-2005, 07:45 PM

Actually no one is completely sure about nothing...my friend... ;)

But (dont know why ) I was *almost*sure you'd dislike Stapps new song... almost...:rolleyes: lol

Got My Back?
09-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Wow! I can't wait to hear the whole song. We have yet to hear the bridge.

I think it sounds very Creedish which for me is great. I had hoped for this exactly. I do hear the slight Scottish thing that someone mentioned as well.

I have yet to be able to listen to Alter Bridge, and let me tell you why. I fell in love with Creed due to the voice of Scott Stapp. I was sick of all the high voiced rock singers that I couldn't sing along with. I love Motley Crue or Journey, but I can't sing that high. Creed was the first great band in years that had a manly voice as the lead and that set them apart from all the other bands out there. I think Alter Bridge went back to the high voiced singer.

Anyway, it is great to hear that amazing voice again. Can't wait for the 22nd of November!
Lenny

TeriB19
09-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey, I just realized something. My 15's didn't go thump like I expected them to. ;)

titan9
09-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Hey, I just realized something. My 15's didn't go thump like I expected them to. ;)

Perhaps they will on the other tracks on the new CD? ;)

ctfan
09-09-2005, 01:18 AM

Who knows, maybe after the rest of the cd is released....they'll go thumping right out your front door. :D

The Lithium
09-09-2005, 01:19 AM
True.....Stapp was always my favorite part of Creed, though.
Oh well, I really like Alter Bridge, 'cause their a little heavier and Myles Kennedy is a blast!

ctfan
09-09-2005, 01:23 AM
Lol, I was just thinking "I wonder how long it'll take for uncertain to post something."

Anyway, I can't say I agree with you. I think this song is really radio-friendly. Because of who Stapp is(believe it or not, people have not forgotten about Creed; I hear'em on the radio at least once per day) and because pop radio stations need another Rock artist to shove down our throats(because, really, that new Nickelback song is already getting old and Creed was huge on pop radio at one time), I think this single is going to get a good amount of airplay. If that happens, he'll gain some new fans, he'll sell a good amount of albums, he'll be considered a successful solo artist. Is this the most original song ever? No. Does this song have a Creedish sound to it? A little bit, imo. But to say that it will do nothing for Stapp, I just don't agree with that.

I agree titan. I don't think this song will do "nothing". Stapp himself said that the rest of the cd wasn't indicative of the first single. So I think this new song will do well on radio, and the rest of the released singles too.

:)

Tremontixriffs
09-09-2005, 02:19 AM
I agree titan. I don't think this song will do "nothing". Stapp himself said that the rest of the cd wasn't indicative of the first single. So I think this new song will do well on radio, and the rest of the released singles too.

This is amazing everyone on the site seems to like the new song except some uncertain drummer, lol...typical thought I really believe that anything that came out of stapps mouth he would have a problem with..As far as sounding like creed, well tremonti may have swung the guitar but scott's "A" game is what brought the band to the forefront and as far as Alter bridge, im sure that alot of people are going to like stapps music alot more, mainly because Stapp is the man and without him all tremonti will have is a band who wishes they still had Stapps voice backing them. myles may hit higher notes but Stapp's voice is pleasing to the ears...From the standpoint of sound, stapps voice draws you as myles is the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard..enough said. I find it funny that lyrically and musically it was much more enjoyable to listen to scotts new song than any on AB's Cd..I own it but this is how i feel.

Ana4Stapp
09-09-2005, 05:24 AM
This is amazing everyone on the site seems to like the new song except some uncertain drummer, lol...typical thought I really believe that anything that came out of stapps mouth he would have a problem with..As far as sounding like creed, well tremonti may have swung the guitar but scott's "A" game is what brought the band to the forefront and as far as Alter bridge, im sure that alot of people are going to like stapps music alot more, mainly because Stapp is the man and without him all tremonti will have is a band who wishes they still had Stapps voice backing them. myles may hit higher notes but Stapp's voice is pleasing to the ears...From the standpoint of sound, stapps voice draws you as myles is the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard..enough said. I find it funny that lyrically and musically it was much more enjoyable to listen to scotts new song than any on AB's Cd..I own it but this is how i feel.

I cant agree with that! And Im not uncertain drumer...lol

Im a fan of Creed and a fan of Stapp too. So when Creed ended (i really dont think possible they are going to reunite some day!) i was so sad that I simply avoid lsten to AB...
But after some "insistences" I got ODR and really enjoyed. Loved Myles's voice, (even though I also love Stapp voice), Tremonti riffs and the guys.Really good stuff.
But of course I was anxious expecting Stapps cd...I was excited about his new songs,his lyrics...
So when I listened to Relearn Love for the first time -I didnt like it much, but i thought-"hey ,take it easy,this is a song made for a christian movie...hes going to write better songs ..."
Now, after a long long time , after a lot of delays his cd is going to be released in November and the first song avaliable is Great Divide...again I was anxious and put a thread here about it ...but when I listened to the new song...er...this is absolutely nothing i was expecting from him...this is not rock, isnt a good balad!...Its extremely pop and consequently will play on the radio ton of times...is this his new musical direction? I hope not.

His lyrics were so good ...but GD is equal to RL: disappointing.:(

Anyway, I hope for better songs...and of course is amazing hearing to Stapps voice again...

TeriB19
09-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Who knows, maybe after the rest of the cd is released....they'll go thumping right out your front door. :D
If my 15's go thumping right out my door, Stapp's buying me a new set of 15's!!! :D

titan9
09-09-2005, 11:07 AM
For those that don't like the new song(and are probably a bit discouraged about the new CD because of that), don't panic yet. Obviously, this single isn't for everyone. Much like RL, it deals with Scott's new found faith in God. Not everyone is going to like that. I highly doubt that the rest of the CD will be filled with songs that are just like TGD. I'm sure there will be some songs on the CD that will please those who are unpleased with this new single. And remember...the majority of the time, the best songs on a CD are not released as singles. So chances are, there will be even better tracks on the new CD.

Dogstar
09-09-2005, 01:03 PM
If my 15's go thumping right out my door, Stapp's buying me a new set of 15's!!! :D
:laugh:

Dogstar
09-09-2005, 01:04 PM
For those that don't like the new song(and are probably a bit discouraged about the new CD because of that), don't panic yet. Obviously, this single isn't for everyone. Much like RL, it deals with Scott's new found faith in God. Not everyone is going to like that. I highly doubt that the rest of the CD will be filled with songs that are just like TGD. I'm sure there will be some songs on the CD that will please those who are unpleased with this new single. And remember...the majority of the time, the best songs on a CD are not released as singles. So chances are, there will be even better tracks on the new CD.
It's not so much the subject matter, but the sound. It was only a clip, so I'm reserving final judgment until I hear the whole thing, but I wasn't encouraged.

Agent D
09-09-2005, 01:42 PM
I think Scott's plan with this song is to keep the old Creed fans. Just like AB did when they released Open Your Eyes as their first single!

And I think the verses are VERY unCreedish, must because Mark would never play the guitar part like that.

I agree. I hope the album is really good. I do miss him a little.

uncertaindrumer
09-09-2005, 03:48 PM

Well I don't mean HE won't do anything. I mean, this song is not going to bash down doors for him. He might get some people from the same audience, but I don't think he will sell that many records. Gold, maybe platinum after a while.

Remember, OYE was EXTREMELY radio friendly and look what happened there.

Anyway, the song isn't god-awful but it is... boring. I mean there is nothing in that song that is different than any other song I have heard on the radio. I expected that of course. It IS a tad heavier than I thought it would be, which I suppose is a plus. But then again I have basically stoped liking this genre of music, period, over the last month or two...

I think the one thing I was hoping for was good lyrics. Cuz that is what he is, the vocalist. In AB I hope for unique riffs and good solos, in other bands you look for different things, etc. etc. I was hoping at least that he'd give some good lyrics but although they could have been worse I was extremely dissapointed by them. I think he even did better on HC, and everyone knows my opinion of that album...

Of course most bands (ESPECIALLY post-grunge) these days have bad lyrics... even bands I don't mind listening to, i.e. 12 Stones, Alter Bridge, etc.

Tremontixriffs
09-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Well I don't mean HE won't do anything. I mean, this song is not going to bash down doors for him. He might get some people from the same audience, but I don't think he will sell that many records. Gold, maybe platinum after a while.

Anyway, the song isn't god-awful but it is... boring. I mean there is nothing in that song that is different than any other song I have heard on the radio. I expected that of course. It IS a tad heavier than I thought it would be, which I suppose is a plus. But then again I have basically stoped liking this genre of music, period, over the last month or two...

I think the one thing I was hoping for was good lyrics. Cuz that is what he is, the vocalist. In AB I hope for unique riffs and good solos, in other bands you look for different things, etc. etc. I was hoping at least that he'd give some good lyrics but although they could have been worse I was extremely dissapointed by them. I think he even did better on HC, and everyone knows my opinion of that album...

Of course most bands (ESPECIALLY post-grunge) these days have bad lyrics... even bands I don't mind listening to, i.e. 12 Stones, Alter Bridge, etc.
I'll have to agree with uncertain that the lyrics in the great devide weren't the greatest, but they by far blew away relearn love and if this is just the title track it wil be really interesting to see how diverse the rest of the album is. It was heavier thanmost thought, but I do not think it was boring, it has a good rythm and the song moves, the 15's may not go thump, but I dont think a majority of us want to hear stapp be eminem.
Secondly There is no way that anyone that stapp has playing guitar is going to be tremont, it may sound a little like his style, but its not. Who exactly is in his band? is that the guitarist from the tea party or someone windup dug up?
Hey how about conspiracy theory?Isn't a little strange that creeds website is still up and running? Maybe wind up believes that some fires may be rekindled in time, who knows..stapp rules, brige kicks ass...bring back creed please!!!!

Batstone
09-09-2005, 05:06 PM
hey, yeah i thought this single was an amazing song.. i ahve to say that i miss stapps voice alot.. myles is good but this reminds of the old days where i would listen to the humanclay cd for hours :) aahha.. yeah im definatly going to be getting this cd and yeah , BRING BACK CREED

titan9
09-09-2005, 05:48 PM

No, it's definitely not an innovative song. The critics will probably dislike it, but who cares what the critics think.

As for sales, I honestly see this album selling 200,000-400,000 in its first week. A bold prediction, I know, but I think the radio is going to gobble it up. An even bolder prediction is that I think it'll go platinum within 9 months of its release. I just have a great feeling about the CD.

The thing with OYE and AB-and it pains me to say this, being the Myles and AB fan that I am-is that Myles does not have a radio friendly voice. Maybe a Rock Radio friendly voice, but definitely not a Pop radio friendly voice. Unfortunately, most that listen to Pop do not appreciate the technically great singers like Myles. I think AB will have an even better amount of success on the radio with the next CD-Rock radio that is.

Like I've stressed, don't judge the CD based on one song. I think he'll be much better lyrically on the rest of the CD.

Steve
09-09-2005, 09:19 PM
It's a typical single. A bit popish and very radio friendly. I think it's ok. It's not something that would get repeated in my playlist over and over again but I'd listen to it.

Not trying to start anything here, but to those saying his voice sounds better, album songs can't be a basis for how good his voice sounds. His voice sounded like crap at the end of the Human Clay tour and the Weathered tour, yet the album Weathered he sounded normal. Remember, there's lots of editing done to albums. When Stapp starts to tour, we'll see how his voice is.

uncertaindrumer
09-09-2005, 11:07 PM
^Indeed. Everyone sounds good on recordings, but live you see what people REALLY sound like (i.e. Myles Kennedy on one end of the spectrum, and Ashlee Simpson on the other, lol)

No, it's definitely not an innovative song. The critics will probably dislike it, but who cares what the critics think.

Well no one. But generally critics ARE good at getting through poppish crap...

As for sales, I honestly see this album selling 200,000-400,000 in its first week. A bold prediction, I know, but I think the radio is going to gobble it up. An even bolder prediction is that I think it'll go platinum within 9 months of its release. I just have a great feeling about the CD.

Well time will tell. I think people have started to get sick of Vedder/Stappish voices though... I really can't see it selling 400,000 in the first week.

The thing with OYE and AB-and it pains me to say this, being the Myles and AB fan that I am-is that Myles does not have a radio friendly voice.

Except that msot of the complaints to do with OYE was that he sounded like Stapp..

Like I've stressed, don't judge the CD based on one song.

I'm not. I'm judging the song based on the song. :D

I think he'll be much better lyrically on the rest of the CD.

One would definitely hope so.

Mulletman
09-09-2005, 11:30 PM
I like it and thats all that should matter to you people.

Dogstar
09-10-2005, 01:58 AM
*salutes the Mighty Mulletman* ;)

RMadd
09-10-2005, 03:01 AM
just finally got around to listening to his new single... imo, better than relearn love. some of the guitar riffs did remind me of some creed-esque stuff, but more subtle than tru. unlike titan, i highly doubt the cd will sell 200k in a week, and go platinum in 9 mos. perhaps the latter is possible, but, sad to say, i think people, in general, just don't care quite so much about stappy anymore. it's not like when weathered came out and people were like "human clay kicked ass! creed kicks ass! i gotta get this new shit!" now, it's more like "hey, where's he been? oh yeah, he sang like shit at the world series, and at the nascar awards. hmmm...."

kariyanine
09-10-2005, 09:33 AM
this is absolutely nothing i was expecting from him...this is not rock, isnt a good balad!...Its extremely pop and consequently will play on the radio ton of times...is this his new musical direction? I hope not.

You also have to look at the market that is out there. It is easier for a new band (Alter Bridge) to crack into the scene than it is for a new "rock" solo artist. When Scott decided to go completely solo and not form a new band he made it harder on himself. BUT Scott has a built in fanbase. Say what you want about Alter Bridge having had a built in fan base but their was die hard Creed fans who knew what was going on. Scott has name recognition, everyone knoes who he is. It's kind of like Rob Thomas's solo debut. Everyone knew that Thomas was the lead singer from Matchbox Twenty so he already had a built in base. The problem is that you also have to play to the pop radio crowd. He might get radio play on some rock stations but mostly, at least at the start, will be on pop stations. He would have needed something that sounds more "pop" for his first single. Once again look at Rob Thomas's first single "Lonely No More" it is much more poppy/dancey than anything that he ever released with Matchbox Twenty. But his second single is more along the lines of where MB20 fans expected his music to go. I think the same will be true with Scott. Look for "The Great Divide" to get alot of airplay, possibly more than Alter Bridge got with "Open Your Eyes", and then look for Scott's second single to be closer to what you were thinking.

With that said, after having listened to it a couple times, I am enjoying "The Great Divide" and wish Scott the best of luck.

titan9
09-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Actually, I thought he sounded good(vocally) at the Nascar awards. The backing music, though, stunk. We'll see how his voice holds up once he starts touring again.

Getting back to the record sales, like I said, I'm making a bold prediction in saying that it'll sell 200,000-400,000 in the first week. My logic in this is that AB sold 100,000 in their first week, Creed's last CD sold 700,000 in its first week and hey, if Ashlee Simpson's CD can sell 400,000 in its first week, then why can't Stapp's CD? There are still diehard Stapp fans out there who might purchase more than one copy. There are still Creed fans out there who will buy this CD. There'll be new fans who will be like "I like his new single, so I think I'm gonna buy the new CD." I think WU is gonna promote the heck out of Stapp(they'd be stupid not to promote the heck out of a guy who was a member of the band that put this label on the map) and, as a result, he's gonna move more albums then people expect him to. I mean, look at Rob Thomas. I don't like the guy, but he's having a very successful solo career with good sales, and like Stapp, he was a member of a very popular band. I think if he can be a successful solo artist, so can Stapp.

Except that msot of the complaints to do with OYE was that he sounded like Stapp..

I never got that comparison. To me, even in that song, he sounded nothing like Stapp. It's the same thing with that Vedder/Stapp comparison. I think anyone with half a monkey's brain could tell the difference between those two. Even my 5 year old niece can.

Dogstar
09-10-2005, 01:10 PM
You also have to look at the market that is out there. It is easier for a new band (Alter Bridge) to crack into the scene than it is for a new "rock" solo artist. When Scott decided to go completely solo and not form a new band he made it harder on himself. BUT Scott has a built in fanbase. Say what you want about Alter Bridge having had a built in fan base but their was die hard Creed fans who knew what was going on. Scott has name recognition, everyone knoes who he is. It's kind of like Rob Thomas's solo debut. Everyone knew that Thomas was the lead singer from Matchbox Twenty so he already had a built in base.

It's pretty rare for a solo artist to exceed the popularity of his initial band. Look at Chris Cornell. Euphoria Morning is a great album, but it didn't really sell well even though everyone knew who Cornell was.

The problem is that you also have to play to the pop radio crowd. He might get radio play on some rock stations but mostly, at least at the start, will be on pop stations. He would have needed something that sounds more "pop" for his first single. Once again look at Rob Thomas's first single "Lonely No More" it is much more poppy/dancey than anything that he ever released with Matchbox Twenty. But his second single is more along the lines of where MB20 fans expected his music to go. I think the same will be true with Scott. Look for "The Great Divide" to get alot of airplay, possibly more than Alter Bridge got with "Open Your Eyes", and then look for Scott's second single to be closer to what you were thinking.
MB20 wasn't real rock to begin with, so I 'm not sure Thomas' situation applies here. They always seemed pretty light to me. Creed were rock first, especially with MOP. HC definitely had more pop songs and Weathered had a few rock tunes, but more pop than HC.

And Steve, you're right about the editing and all. It was just nice to hear his voice sound good :)...

Titan, I would be shocked if it sold 20,000 the first week, but that's just me.

Chase
09-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Scott Stapp has more of a "Midas touch" than Myles Kennedy when it comes to selling records. Historical statistics prove that. However, Kennedy seems to be more critically acclaimed than Stapp. I am curious to know if Myles can work an arena sized crowd though like Stapp can. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm curious to hear all of Stapp's records before I make a judgement about his musical direction.

creedsister
09-10-2005, 04:14 PM
i bid you good jugement :D

uncertaindrumer
09-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Actually, I thought he sounded good(vocally) at the Nascar awards. The backing music, though, stunk. We'll see how his voice holds up once he starts touring again.

I won't. I shall not be going to see him. lol

if Ashlee Simpson's CD can sell 400,000 in its first week, then why can't Stapp's CD?

Because Ashlee Simpson has a bunch of 12-24 year olds too dumb to realize they are wasting money. 12-14 year olds don't even know who Stapp is anymore.

There are still diehard Stapp fans out there who might purchase more than one copy.

:rolleyes: lol

There are still Creed fans out there who will buy this CD.

Uh, obviously. i.e. you. lol

There'll be new fans who will be like "I like his new single, so I think I'm gonna buy the new CD."

I hope for the sake of musical intelligence everywhere that this is not the case... lol. I can't see anyone wanting to buy his CD because of this single.

I think WU is gonna promote the heck out of Stapp(they'd be stupid not to promote the heck out of a guy who was a member of the band that put this label on the map)

And since when has WU begun convincing you that they AREN'T stupid?

I think if he can be a successful solo artist, so can Stapp.

Depends on what successful means. I certainly can't see him moving a million albums in under a year...

I never got that comparison.

Lol, do you live under a rock?! I couldn't get away from peopel telling me Alter Bridge was just Creed with a new guy who sounds exactly like Stapp... lol

To me, even in that song, he sounded nothing like Stapp.

Well he certainly sounds nothing like Stapp on any of the other songs. On OYE he doesn't so much sound liek stapp as he doesn't sound unique at all. And since the rest of the song sounds just like Creed, the voice just starts to as well, if you have never heard any other songs.

It's the same thing with that Vedder/Stapp comparison.

Titan I respect you, but saying Stapp and Vedder are as far apart as Stapp and Myles...

I think anyone with half a monkey's brain could tell the difference between those two.

First off, stop insulting monkeys, they are probably more intelligent than the mainstrea music audience. Second, most people CAN'T distinguish between the two. Third, they sound REALLY REALLY REALLY alike. Can I tell the difference? Sure. Easily. Just like I can tell the difference between Natalie Portman and Keira Knightly, but they still look a LOT alike!

Even my 5 year old niece can.

I suspect your five year old neice has better musical knowledge than half the peopel in the U.S.

TeriB19
09-10-2005, 10:56 PM
I like it and thats all that should matter to you people.
Good enough for me. ;)

Torn Signs
09-11-2005, 12:56 AM
Now I'm going to be honest here. Since I don't post much, I might as well post about the next controversial topic; Stapp's upcoming album.

I do like the song, but the first time I EVER heard it I was disappointed. I don't know if it was that this song seemed like it was set along the same lines as Relearn Love in the sense of Christianity, or if it just didn't sound unique. Or maybe it wasn't rocky enough for me.

One thing I do know is, after hearing it a couple times I do like it. But I'm afraid it could be the first song he has song that I could get sick of. I NEVER have gotten sick of Creed, but I might be able to with this. It has a good background beat and he is vocally on target, yes. The lyrics are exceptional, yes. But I was hoping for some of the more hardcore lyrics like back in the day w/ MOP. I loved the freshness of what he unearthed there. Maybe that was just the child Stapp looking to grow from a child to an adult. Maybe he was looking for acceptance or understanding. I don't know. I was just more driven then.

And I have to say this, it has the same sort of "poppy" sound as Relearn Love. This scares me a bit and makes me wonder if that will be "his" sound. I am interested in Broken where he uses the piano, but I don't know, I've always liked Stapp w/ rock. That's why I prefer the more rocky version of Relearn Love, or the part of Relearn Love featuring Tea Party where it is a bit more pounding in the end.

I'm surprised with myself. I like to listen to the song over and over, but I've found myself to more of a Stapp fan than an AB fan. Perhaps...perhaps it was just Creed that worked and like a lot of people I'll have to live with what I'm served. If ya can't tell, I don't really care for AB either b/c I don't care for Myles and I don't care for the tone of the music. Just my thoughts and reactions on a ballpark.

uncertaindrumer
09-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Good enough for me. ;)
Indeed, me as well. After finding out Mulletman likes it... well bah. Who cares if the lyrics suck, it is totally not unique and has not musical talent showcased whatsoever. I STILL LIKE IT!

lol, jk. But props to you mullet for a hilarious post.

Muad'Dib
09-11-2005, 07:54 AM
Im still not sure about it. I havent listened to it again since the first 3 or 4 times I heard it, dont really want to either. Hopefully the rest of the album is better.

Dogstar
09-11-2005, 10:41 AM
^^^ That's kind of where I am at as well, Muad'Dib. I really hope the rest is better as well.

in reality
09-11-2005, 02:06 PM
I love the single, just as I knew I would. At last the long wait is over. :)

PJAmerica
09-11-2005, 02:26 PM
EXCELLENT!! All I have to say. I went to scott's home page and found the clip and was impressed. He's back and bigger than ever with that track. Let's hope the rest of the album does as well.

Ana4Stapp
09-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Now I'm going to be honest here. Since I don't post much, I might as well post about the next controversial topic; Stapp's upcoming album.

I do like the song, but the first time I EVER heard it I was disappointed. I don't know if it was that this song seemed like it was set along the same lines as Relearn Love in the sense of Christianity, or if it just didn't sound unique. Or maybe it wasn't rocky enough for me.

One thing I do know is, after hearing it a couple times I do like it. But I'm afraid it could be the first song he has song that I could get sick of. I NEVER have gotten sick of Creed, but I might be able to with this. It has a good background beat and he is vocally on target, yes. The lyrics are exceptional, yes. But I was hoping for some of the more hardcore lyrics like back in the day w/ MOP. I loved the freshness of what he unearthed there. Maybe that was just the child Stapp looking to grow from a child to an adult. Maybe he was looking for acceptance or understanding. I don't know. I was just more driven then.

And I have to say this, it has the same sort of "poppy" sound as Relearn Love. This scares me a bit and makes me wonder if that will be "his" sound. I am interested in Broken where he uses the piano, but I don't know, I've always liked Stapp w/ rock. That's why I prefer the more rocky version of Relearn Love, or the part of Relearn Love featuring Tea Party where it is a bit more pounding in the end.

Just my thoughts and reactions on a ballpark.

Your honest thoughts (in black) are definitely the same here!!!!!!! ;)

caseycarson
09-11-2005, 03:23 PM
I think Stapp solo has a much more promising future than AB could ever hope to have. AB is a great band. They have a lot of 70's style rock roots in their music. I like that. However, most young listeners today do not. This new Stapp single could be passed off as a new Creed single. I think Stapp's cd will sell far, far beyond AB's debut did......

titan9
09-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Because Ashlee Simpson has a bunch of 12-24 year olds too dumb to realize they are wasting money. 12-14 year olds don't even know who Stapp is anymore.

No, I think the key here is radio airplay. Simpson would not have sold that many albums if "Pieces of Me" did not receive the type of airplay that it did. What I'm saying is that I believe Stapp will get a good amount of airplay, which almost always translates to big time sales. And who says 12-14 year olds won't know who Stapp is in a few months time?;)

Depends on what successful means. I certainly can't see him moving a million albums in under a year...

If he gets the type of airplay necessary, he can accomplish that. If he gets 2 hits off that debut solo CD, he will go platinum within a year. Again, the key is radio airplay and video play as well. VH1 seems to be quite loyal to Creed, having given AB's OYE a ton of play in the beginning, so I can seem them giving Stapp's video a ton of play as well. That can translate to a good amount of radio airplay as well.

I hope for the sake of musical intelligence everywhere that this is not the case... lol. I can't see anyone wanting to buy his CD because of this single.

I can. *cough*Christian Community who thinks Stapp is a Christian artist*cough*.

And since when has WU begun convincing you that they AREN'T stupid?

You've got me there.:laugh:

Lol, do you live under a rock?! I couldn't get away from peopel telling me Alter Bridge was just Creed with a new guy who sounds exactly like Stapp... lol

You interpreted what I said in the wrong way. What I meant was that I never understood WHY people thought Myles sounded like Scott in that song. Obviously, being the Creed/AB/Stapp fan that I am, I heard that comparison all the time. And it ticked me off, obviously, because the two are nothing alike, not even in that song.

Titan I respect you, but saying Stapp and Vedder are as far apart as Stapp and Myles...

Misinterpreted me again. I did not say that Vedder and Stapp are as far apart as Stapp and Myles are. I just wanted to lead into the fact that I was going to vent about that stupid comparison. I've heard that same stupid comparison about a million times and it's frustrating because it is not true. Both have deep voices, yes, but you can easily distinguish between the two. Vedder goes higher than Stapp does, vocally. Stapp is not a Vedder clone, and anyone who has heard enough PJ and enough Creed can and will tell you that. It's just such a stupid comparison and I get a little ticked off when I hear it for the umpteenth time. They have some similarities, but nothing more than that.

I suspect your five year old neice has better musical knowledge than half the peopel in the U.S.

I don't doubt that. I've been working to turn her against the trash that is all over Pop radio today. She seems to have taken a liking to Rock music(huge Creed fan, even likes AB though she doesn't like Myles because she knows that he replaced Stapp, her favorite guy) but she still, unfortunately, likes some of the trash on Pop radio. Yes, she likes Kelly Clarkson, Green Day and Hilary Duff. But I have a feeling that they way I'm teaching her, she'll hate that stuff by the time she's 10. She won't be a teeny bopper.:laugh:

uncertaindrumer
09-11-2005, 07:24 PM
No, I think the key here is radio airplay. Simpson would not have sold that many albums if "Pieces of Me" did not receive the type of airplay that it did. What I'm saying is that I believe Stapp will get a good amount of airplay, which almost always translates to big time sales. And who says 12-14 year olds won't know who Stapp is in a few months time?;)

This is assuming he gets airtime. He may, he may not. If WU promtoes Stapp EXACTLY the way they promoted AB, he will get about the same amount of airtime. If they promote him more, than it could be different.

I can. *cough*Christian Community who thinks Stapp is a Christian artist*cough*.

True but if you get the Christian community it can be hard to hold the mainstream audience. Few acts can do it.

You interpreted what I said in the wrong way. What I meant was that I never understood WHY people thought Myles sounded like Scott in that song. Obviously, being the Creed/AB/Stapp fan that I am, I heard that comparison all the time. And it ticked me off, obviously, because the two are nothing alike, not even in that song.

Well there you go. Myles doesn't sound like Stapp... At all... but that doesn't stop a bunch of knuckleheads from SAYING he does...

Misinterpreted me again. I did not say that Vedder and Stapp are as far apart as Stapp and Myles are. I just wanted to lead into the fact that I was going to vent about that stupid comparison. I've heard that same stupid comparison about a million times and it's frustrating because it is not true. Both have deep voices, yes, but you can easily distinguish between the two. Vedder goes higher than Stapp does, vocally. Stapp is not a Vedder clone, and anyone who has heard enough PJ and enough Creed can and will tell you that. It's just such a stupid comparison and I get a little ticked off when I hear it for the umpteenth time. They have some similarities, but nothing more than that.

They do have more similarities than most, you have to admit.

Yes, she likes Kelly Clarkson, Green Day and Hilary Duff.

Wow. You jsut mentioned to three most annoying acts out there. lol

Oh well. If seh can get over her teeny bopper phase by the time she is six, than hopefully musical genius is not far around the bend. lol

titan9
09-11-2005, 08:58 PM
This is assuming he gets airtime. He may, he may not. If WU promtoes Stapp EXACTLY the way they promoted AB, he will get about the same amount of airtime. If they promote him more, than it could be different.

I think they'll promote him more. I think that is because he is probably more radio friendly, musically, than AB is. That and the fact that he was the lead singer for Creed, one of the biggest Rock bands in the last 5 years.

True but if you get the Christian community it can be hard to hold the mainstream audience. Few acts can do it.

Switchfoot has. Relient K so far has. I'm sure there are other artists, that I am forgetting about, who also have. It's not that difficult of a thing to do, and I think Stapp is just the right man to do it.

They do have more similarities than most, you have to admit.

I admit that they do have more similarities than most. They both have deep, grungey voices, but that's about it. Very easy to tell apart, if you ask me. No way is Stapp even close to being a Vedder clone.

Wow. You jsut mentioned to three most annoying acts out there. lol

Oh well. If seh can get over her teeny bopper phase by the time she is six, than hopefully musical genius is not far around the bend. lol

Oh, I have a feeling she will. She's got a strong head on her shoulders. No way will she be like all the other young girls out there. She's being raised a Rocker, and she'll be a Rocker.:D

uncertaindrumer
09-12-2005, 12:20 PM
I think they'll promote him more. I think that is because he is probably more radio friendly, musically, than AB is. That and the fact that he was the lead singer for Creed, one of the biggest Rock bands in the last 5 years.

True, although Tremonti was the lead guitarist for Creed, one of the biggest rock bands in the last five years. Well actually, ten.

Switchfoot has. Relient K so far has. I'm sure there are other artists, that I am forgetting about, who also have. It's not that difficult of a thing to do, and I think Stapp is just the right man to do it.

I certainly don't. I actually knew you were gonna cry Switchfoot when I said it is hard to do, lol. I don't see how Stapp can do it though.

I admit that they do have more similarities than most. They both have deep, grungey voices, but that's about it. Very easy to tell apart, if you ask me. No way is Stapp even close to being a Vedder clone.

Meh, he's not a CLONE... Vedder is better. But he is eerily similar.

IsThisTheEnd66
09-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Personally I think its great, why mess with the old stuff. If this worked with Creed, why go and change completely.... sure it may ruin him or it could renew him of his lost audience. (( i.e me )) Look at Creeds history, which songs did people like in general... it was the lite stuff. One, OLB, MS, Higher. Don't get me wrong the heavy songs did well to.. MOP, What If , Unforgiven, Illusion. Thats just how I feel... we don't need another heavy soundsing person but another lite person who can sooth our souls and hearts.

titan9
09-12-2005, 01:20 PM
True, although Tremonti was the lead guitarist for Creed, one of the biggest rock bands in the last five years. Well actually, ten.

Yes, but in general(and I wish this weren't true) the frontmen are viewed as being the biggest part of a band. In this case, Stapp would be viewed as being bigger than Tremonti, because Stapp was the frontman for Creed. When people think Creed, they most likely think Stapp before they think Tremonti. That makes me think that WU is gonna promote what some view as the biggest part of Creed. I personally disagree with this, but it's unfortunately the way things are.

I certainly don't. I actually knew you were gonna cry Switchfoot when I said it is hard to do, lol. I don't see how Stapp can do it though.

Yeah, of course I was going to use SF as an example. Too easy not to. Obviously, it's hard to tell if he'll be welcomed with open arms or not. He's done/said a lot of things in the past that obviously infuriated the Christian music community. It's not guaranteed that he'll receive acceptance from the CMC. Far from guaranteed. But I think because of the interviews he has done(the revealing one for Christianity Today comes to mind) and because of the songs(Relearn Love and TGD) that he'll be welcomed with open arms by the CMC. We'll see if that happens or not, though.

I don't know if he's eerily similar. To me, Eric Durrance is more of a Vedder "clone" than Stapp is. But Durrance hasn't gotten that comparison...instead he's compared to Stapp.

tremonti4life04
09-12-2005, 06:19 PM
That scott stapp guy that you all are listening to sounds a hell of a lot like the guy from creed...what a ripoff. ;-)

i only have one real complaint about stapps new band, the guitarist seems like he is trying to emulate tremonti waaay tooo much. He uses the same chords and chord progressions that tremonti uses in a lot of his songs. Dont get me wrong, it sounds great (guitar wise) but it almost sounds like this guy is using a PRS Tremonti...wouldnt that be strange. But, in all honesty, i do like the song, but i wanna hear it in its entirety, not just clips, that gets annoying.

Dogstar
09-12-2005, 06:47 PM
LOL, tremonti4life. I agree, the guitar sounds a lot like Tremo's style. I, too, want to hear the whole song before I really judge it.

Bridge of Clay
09-12-2005, 11:03 PM
I heard the full song... I'll post the link tomorrow when I get in the office.

tremonti4life04
09-13-2005, 12:20 AM
is the stapp page updated? cuz if so, its not loading on my computer, its throwin me the "full page coming soon" site

ctfan
09-13-2005, 12:40 AM
myles may hit higher notes but Stapp's voice is pleasing to the ears...

BINGO!!! I agree. Take the lead singer for the group The Darkness. Hearing that guy sing makes me want to vomit.

ctfan
09-13-2005, 12:43 AM

Awwww, thumping 15's are a bit slow, and don't usually travel far. You'd be able to catch 'em. :D

titan9
09-13-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm looking forward to hearing the full version of the song. I think I'll be able to formulate more of an opinion on it. I like what I've heard so far, but I'm still not sure how much I'll like the song for sure.

TeriB19
09-13-2005, 11:33 AM
i only have one real complaint about stapps new band, the guitarist seems like he is trying to emulate tremonti waaay tooo much.
Word!! I SO hear a Tremonti-type style right there.

Bridge of Clay
09-13-2005, 12:11 PM
I heard the full song... I'll post the link tomorrow when I get in the office.
mms://66.186.0.101/allaccess/scottheg.wma

Dogstar
09-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Thank you, Marcos!

Trimontana
09-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Word!! I SO hear a Tremonti-type style right there.
we are 3 now....maybe Stappy misses Tremo too much...hehehe.

Trimontana
09-13-2005, 04:15 PM
mms://66.186.0.101/allaccess/scottheg.wma
Marcos, how do you make this link work? thanks

Dogstar
09-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Gabi, I just copied and pasted in the address line and windows media player started playing it.

Bridge of Clay
09-13-2005, 05:01 PM
That's what I'd say, Gabi! :)

Thanks, Kerry!

MetallicAttack
09-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Hey, here's an even easier way to get the full verion of TGD. Lol, good old yousendit... http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2IY4OMVCJI78X01S86QZIAVFV2 Probably even better for some of you to use since it's an MP3. Enjoy!

titan9
09-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks for posting that, Metallic! I was going to do the same thing(rip the stream into an MP3) but you saved me the trouble of having to do that.

MetallicAttack
09-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Oh, more then glad to make your job easier Titan. Lol!

The Lithium
09-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Yeah, thanks a lot! Been too lazy to rip it myself! :D

Annie
09-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Just love the song!!!!
It is going on repeat constantly (sp?) on my computer :D

Frankie
09-14-2005, 12:58 PM
OFFICIAL lyrics for those interested...
courtesy of Kiki...Scott's personal manager.

I have run to the ocean
Through the horizon, chased the Son
I've waited for the light to come
And at times I would give up
You have wrapped your loving arms round me
And with your love I'll overcome
You have loved me when I was weak
You have given unselfishly
Kept me from falling, falling
Everywhere but my knees

You set me free
To live my life
You became my reason to survive the great divide
You set me free

I've been on heaven's doorstep
With the door open, one foot inside
I've cried out "God, give me answers"
"Please hush child, I'll tell you why
You have loved Me when you were weak
You have given unselfishly
Kept you from falling, falling
Everywhere but your knees"

You set me free
To live my life
You set me free
To live my life
You set me free
You set me free

Ooh our love is beautiful
Ooh ooh isn't this beautiful?
Times have changed but You remain my everything
Our love is beautiful
Stood by my side while we survive the great divide
Isn't this beautiful?

You set me free
To live my life
You set me free
To live my life
You set me free
To live my life
You set me free
You set me free
You set me free

Dogstar
09-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Thanks, Frankie!

titan9
09-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I was hoping that somebody would transcribe and post those lyrics. Thanks a bunch!

PJAmerica
09-14-2005, 03:35 PM

I am a huge Pearl Jam fan and Creed fan. You may think that it's because of the lead singers but in fact both have different styles. Scott and Eddie sound nothing a like and neither share the same presence in there music. 2 different people. I like Eddies' '70s rock style. Scott moves me with his music and lyrics. I have been listening to Pearl Jam for over 10 years and not once has the band ever just wowed me. Creed/Scott's music has though.

It really annoys me when people compare 2 individuals like Scott and Eddie. People did the same thing to Scott Wieland from STP. Pointless.

uncertaindrumer
09-14-2005, 10:13 PM
For the last time, I don't think they write similar, play similar music, or act similar. They just have similar voices. And I didn't bring it up. Titan did. :D

tremonti4life04
09-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Ooh our love is beautiful
Ooh ooh isn't this beautiful?
Times have changed but You remain my everything
Our love is beautiful
Stood by my side while we survive the great divide
Isn't this beautiful?

Personally, i could have done without this part of the song, i believe it takes away from the epic side of the song and really downplays it quite a bit, other than that, i really like the song the more i listen to it, its just that this part of the whole song pretty much ruins the ending. He affects his voice too much and kinda slurrs this part a little.
In My Opinion...

Ana4Stapp
09-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Didnt like the lyrics at all!!!! Very similar to Relearn Love lyrics...and its definitely not a good sign...

titan9
09-15-2005, 11:30 AM
For the last time, I don't think they write similar, play similar music, or act similar. They just have similar voices. And I didn't bring it up. Titan did.:D

Oh sure, blame it on me.:laugh:

Like I said before, if I were a fan who did not like this song, I would not be that concerned about the rest of the CD. I highly doubt that every song on The Great Divide is going to have this same theme. Scott even said himself that a couple of songs have a "sexual" aspect to them. That alone makes me think that you'll find a good amount of secular lyrics on this CD, which is alright with me, but then again, I would be happy either way.

Of course non-believers aren't going to like this type of lyrics. It's understandable and if I weren't a believer, I'd feel the same way. Lyrics are a very personal aspect of music. I do think that non-believers will find something to like, lyrically, on this new CD. I fully expect the lyrics to be very Creed-like, just maybe not in the aspect of questioning God. We'll see, though.

PJAmerica
09-15-2005, 03:22 PM

Hahah, I wasn't really blaming or pointing the finger at anyone but just stating my view of the comments about Scott and Eddie having similar voices. I must be going tone deaf because I don't hear it.

titan9
09-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I knew you weren't. Uncertain and I tease each other every now and then, so that's why I said that. I hear a similarity between Vedder and Stapp, but not that much of a similarity. They're two different vocalists.

uncertaindrumer
09-15-2005, 09:40 PM

Like I said before, if I were a fan who did not like this song, I would not be that concerned about the rest of the CD. I highly doubt that every song on The Great Divide is going to have this same theme. Scott even said himself that a couple of songs have a "sexual" aspect to them. That alone makes me think that you'll find a good amount of secular lyrics on this CD, which is alright with me, but then again, I would be happy either way.

Of course non-believers aren't going to like this type of lyrics. It's understandable and if I weren't a believer, I'd feel the same way. Lyrics are a very personal aspect of music. I do think that non-believers will find something to like, lyrically, on this new CD. I fully expect the lyrics to be very Creed-like, just maybe not in the aspect of questioning God. We'll see, though.

I am about as religious as you can get. I mean, anyone can attest to just HOW MUCH of a believer I am. BUT, I still don't like it when bands who CLAIM they aren't Christian (i.e. Creed) do a bunch of Christian lyrics. I don't mind Switchfoot (well, I mind them, but not for this reason, lol) because they don't hide the fact that they put God and Christianity into their lyrics. And they aren't even as opaque about it as Stapp is!

But yeah the lyrics aren't even my biggest problem with the song. The unoriginality and complete lack of anything substantial fits that bill.

Lunar Shadow
09-15-2005, 09:56 PM
I was not impressed at all.... it lacked orginality.... it has the same recycled stapp-vocal-cadence as every thing else from the latter half of "wethered" and "relearn love" the man needs to maybe listen to some new music and get some new insapiration the lyrics are unimpressive I mean how many times will people buy the same stuff?

this is all IMHO

IsThisTheEnd66
09-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Is it really that bad that it maybe old school.... I mean I love this song and Im glad Scott didn't change his ways of writing. Look how many people Creed help with their lyrics and now who knows how many Scott will help with his lyrics. Does anyone agree????

Ana4Stapp
09-15-2005, 11:40 PM
I was not impressed at all.... it lacked orginality.... it has the same recycled stapp-vocal-cadence as every thing else from the latter half of "wethered" and "relearn love" the man needs to maybe listen to some new music and get some new insapiration the lyrics are unimpressive I mean how many times will people buy the same stuff?

this is all IMHO

Agreed!!

Of course non-believers aren't going to like this type of lyrics. It's understandable and if I weren't a believer, I'd feel the same way. Lyrics are a very personal aspect of music. I do think that non-believers will find something to like, lyrically, on this new CD. I fully expect the lyrics to be very Creed-like, just maybe not in the aspect of questioning God. We'll see, though

It has nothing to do with being a believer or not -the lyrics are bad! -this is the point!...it has nothing to do with religion stuff ...it has to do with GOOD SONG/LYRICS which GD is definitely not a remote example ...
But i have to addmit I was not expecting another religious song like RL...even though I always loved the "messages " inside Creed's songs, for instance, Faceless Man is full of biblical references and one of the most beautiful songs they had.

IsThisTheEnd66
09-15-2005, 11:47 PM
and is there anythign wrong with more " messages " to get us by in life?????

Dogstar
09-16-2005, 12:00 AM
It has nothing to do with being a believer or not -the lyrics are bad! -this is the point!...it has nothing to do with religion stuff ...it has to do with GOOD SONG/LYRICS which GD is definitely not a remote example ...
But i have to addmit I was not expecting another religious song like RL...even though I always loved the "messages " inside Creed's songs, for instance, Faceless Man is full of biblical references and one of the most beautiful songs they had.
Agreed. I think the lyrics are mediocre, religious or not.

Ana4Stapp
09-16-2005, 12:16 AM
and is there anythign wrong with more " messages " to get us by in life?????

No..never say that... the wrong thing in my opinion is GD song...

IsThisTheEnd66
09-16-2005, 07:05 AM
but theres nothing wrong with GD..... it has a very good message, the beat it good and so are the lyrics.

titan9
09-16-2005, 11:07 AM

You dislike the lyrics because you feel they are not of very good quality. I can understand that. I agree, they are nothing special. But, in most cases, lyrics that are blatantly Christian or blatantly religious are not that good. I listen to a ton of "Christian" artists/bands as well as a ton of secular stuff. In most cases, from a lyrical aspect, the secular artists are better. Of course, there are a few Christian artists/bands who also write excellent lyrics(imo) and can easily rank with some of the great lyrically secular artists.

I guess my whole point was, don't think that because you don't like this song, you won't like the CD. I think the rest of the CD will be much better lyrically.

I am about as religious as you can get. I mean, anyone can attest to just HOW MUCH of a believer I am. BUT, I still don't like it when bands who CLAIM they aren't Christian (i.e. Creed) do a bunch of Christian lyrics. I don't mind Switchfoot (well, I mind them, but not for this reason, lol) because they don't hide the fact that they put God and Christianity into their lyrics. And they aren't even as opaque about it as Stapp is!

Nor do I like it. But I don't think Stapp will do a bunch of Christian lyrics, unless he is planning to become a Christian Contemporary artist, or a Christian Rock artist like, uh, Todd Agnew or Jeremy Camp or someone else. I think you're gonna see some spirituality in his lyrics, because the man is supposedly a devout Christian now. I think you will see him writing some songs about his journey, like he already has. But I do not think it will be excessive. And if it is, I hope he embraces the Christian music scene, if they embrace him. I definitely don't want to see Stapp become a hypocritical artist.

And don't you badmouth Switchfoot! :laugh:

uncertaindrumer
09-16-2005, 12:34 PM
You like Switchfoot, too? Dang Titan, you usually agree with me when I say very little is good on the radio, but then you like everything on the radio! :D

And if they become excessively Christian that's fine. Just don't hide from the fact that you are a Christian artist.

But yeah, these lyrics aren't bad because of that. They are just bad.

titan9
09-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Switchfoot is different, lol. I appreciate their brand of positive pop rock. Mostly, I'm a fan of the lyrics and the singer(nothing special vocally, but his voice is effective). But I do hate pretty much every other artist on the Radio. :D

And if they become excessively Christian that's fine. Just don't hide from the fact that you are a Christian artist.

Agreed.

Bridge of Clay
09-16-2005, 04:37 PM
I think Creed lyrics were spiritual... Stapp's solo work is religious. There's a thin difference, but there's a difference.

titan9
09-16-2005, 08:46 PM
So far it is religious, but we've only heard two songs. I'm not going to judge his solo work as being religious until I have heard the whole CD. He has said himself that this song isn't indicative of the rest of the CD, which makes me think that the rest of the CD will not be all that religious. I think it'll be spiritual, in some aspects, much like Creed's lyrics.

Ana4Stapp
09-16-2005, 10:34 PM
but theres nothing wrong with GD..... it has a very good message, the beat it good and so are the lyrics.

well...EVERYTHING is wrong with GD... :rolleyes:

You dislike the lyrics because you feel they are not of very good quality. I can understand that. I agree, they are nothing special. But, in most cases, lyrics that are blatantly Christian or blatantly religious are not that good. I listen to a ton of "Christian" artists/bands as well as a ton of secular stuff. In most cases, from a lyrical aspect, the secular artists are better. Of course, there are a few Christian artists/bands who also write excellent lyrics(imo) and can easily rank with some of the great lyrically secular artists.

I guess my whole point was, don't think that because you don't like this song, you won't like the CD. I think the rest of the CD will be much better lyrically.

Titan, you know Im (like you are) a fan of Stapp, so I was expecting something very good from this guy...after all delays and promises of a final date, I imagined his first song 'd be good, which means having quality, beautiful lyrics because I love Stapps lyrics on Creed. Even Creed lyrics that were spirituals (yeah, Marcos your right! ;) ) with messages and full of biblical references...dont mind, cause they had quality.They were beautiful.
Great Divide is not.Its the opposite.

Also, my point is that lately Im listening to real VERY GOOD stuff from VERY GOOD bands(MF4, Audioslave,Foo Fighters etc...)...that's impossible to me to take something lyrically similar(= bad) to Relearn Love and like it.

But of course ... I HOPE the rest of Stapp's cd can be better...I hope!! ;)

Ana4Stapp
09-16-2005, 10:37 PM
...But yeah, these lyrics aren't bad because of that. They are just bad.

Exactly!! ;)

Trimontana
09-17-2005, 09:30 AM
Its true. The lyrics are really poor. Its like his inspiration, if he had some, is gone. It makes me think if he was the one who wrote Creed lyrics (i know i am being nauthy here) or like we disgussed so many times it was Tremonti who wrote those lyrics. Anyway, i dont think the music is bad, its just the lyrics and the repetition he doing, like its the same song with different music.

in reality
09-17-2005, 09:35 AM
Can't wait for the 22nd of November to get here.

titan9
09-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Titan, you know Im (like you are) a fan of Stapp, so I was expecting something very good from this guy...after all delays and promises of a final date, I imagined his first song 'd be good, which means having quality, beautiful lyrics because I love Stapps lyrics on Creed. Even Creed lyrics that were spirituals (yeah, Marcos your right! ;) ) with messages and full of biblical references...dont mind, cause they had quality.They were beautiful.
Great Divide is not.Its the opposite.

Also, my point is that lately Im listening to real VERY GOOD stuff from VERY GOOD bands(MF4, Audioslave,Foo Fighters etc...)...that's impossible to me to take something lyrically similar(= bad) to Relearn Love and like it.

But of course ... I HOPE the rest of Stapp's cd can be better...I hope!! ;)

Yeah, this single would be disappointing to you. The lyrics are not that good. But the fact is, as I've stated a lot, singles typically are the weakest points of a CD. So if this is the weakest point of Stapp's solo CD, there's going to be some awesome songs on there. I don't think he's lost his ability to write awesome lyrics, or else I would not be here saying these things. I think the man still has it. If I'm wrong, I want uncertain or Ana to quote this and other posts I have made in this thread, once the CD somes out.

I've also been listening to some really good stuff from those bands that you mentioned. It definitely makes one a harsher critic of music, because of the quality of those bands. I've found myself hating mainstream Rock more and more. :D

Ana4Stapp
09-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Yeah, this single would be disappointing to you. The lyrics are not that good. But the fact is, as I've stated a lot, singles typically are the weakest points of a CD. So if this is the weakest point of Stapp's solo CD, there's going to be some awesome songs on there. I don't think he's lost his ability to write awesome lyrics, or else I would not be here saying these things. I think the man still has it. If I'm wrong, I want uncertain or Ana to quote this and other posts I have made in this thread, once the CD somes out.

I've also been listening to some really good stuff from those bands that you mentioned. It definitely makes one a harsher critic of music, because of the quality of those bands. I've found myself hating mainstream Rock more and more. :D

Hope you are right. ;)

Ana4Stapp
09-17-2005, 04:05 PM
If I'm wrong, I want uncertain or Ana to quote this and other posts I have made in this thread, once the CD somes out.

As for me, okay ;)

Bridge of Clay
09-18-2005, 11:29 PM
The thing that bothers me is that on the MTV interview Stapp said he's on top of his game, as far as writing goes... comparing to Weathered where he claims was his best job...

Lyrically... Human Clay is far beyond Weathered and his solo effort so far. MOP is dead heat with HC as well.

titan9
09-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. He probably just feels that he was most experience, lyrically, on Weathered. We all know that his best work, in our eyes, was on MOP. It should be interesting to see how his solo stuff, lyrically, compares to HC, Weathered and MOP. I guess we can't get too excited or worried until the CD comes out, or it gets leaked on some P2P network. We'll just have to wait and see.