Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Mark's "pieced together pawn shop band" Quote [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Mark's "pieced together pawn shop band" Quote

Bridge of Clay
06-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Inside scoop!

Yes, this quote was a direct shot at the band formerly known as Gone Blind. At least the members who were on stage performing with Stapp at the Nascar Awards, playing Creed songs.

Mark wanted me to come on here and give you fans a little history as well as an explanation of why he said this as it is unusual for him to take a shot at another band. Here is the scoop....

Back when Creed was together Mark had a friend named Kiki. Kiki started managing bands and one of the first bands he represented was Gone Blind. At the time Creed was playing large festival shows and Kiki asked Mark if he could help out and get Gone Blind added to the side stage at one of the shows. Mark said yes, asked the rest of the Creed, and everyone agreed. At that show, Kiki came running up to Mark and told him that Gone Blind had no food and asked him if they could have acess to Creed's catering. Mark said yes, even though the tour manager told him it would come out of Creed's tab. Gone Blind ended up playing more shows with Creed and Mark struck up a friendship with all of them, even giving their guitar player one of his signature model guitars to use on tour because he did not have enough money to buy one. He always did everything in his power to help that band out.

After Creed split up, Mark found out that Kiki(whom Mark had severed his freindship with) was working in some capacity for Stapp. Around this time Mark also found out that Gone Blind was working with Stapp on his solo cd. Was Mark angry? Not at all. He understood that the guys were just trying to make a name for themselves in a tough, dog eat dog business. All was cool.

Soon thereafter Stapp went on a promo tour for his new single that was on the Passion Of The Christ Soundtrack. It was just Stapp and the guitarist for Gone Blind. The two of them were performing acoustic songs for many radio stations across the country. They did not play Relearn Love, Scott's new single, once live as far as I know. They only played Creed songs on the entire promo tour. This got Mark pretty angry. He and Scott had a verbal agreement when they split that none of them would ever perform Creed songs unless the whole band was together again. Mark felt betrayed, not only by Stapp, whom he had an agreement with, but also by the guitarist for Gone Blind(who knew damn well that Mark would be mad about it). I mean, Mark gave this guy one of his own guitars and helped his career along as much as humanly possible. It was like a dagger in the back.

Later on, the drummer and bass player for Gone Blind came to an AB show. Mark voiced his displeasure with what was happening to the drummer. The drummer swore to him up and down that he did not want to play Creed songs. The drummer also told Mark that Stapp was planning on marketing himself as Creed part II and that he was planning on playing many Creed songs when he goes out to tour. At the end of the conversation the drummer told Mark that he would never play a Creed song on stage with Stapp, and also that the rest of Gone Blind felt that way too. The two of them shook hands and all was forgiven. Understand that Mark feels this way because he is fiercely proud of the songs he has written in the past. If 3 joe schmoes go up there and play Creed songs with Stapp, it is a different story. He'd stiil be angry with Stapp but Mark would figure the other guys were just trying to make a buck. With Gone Blind playing them, it hurt. He thought these guys were his friends.

Fast forward to the Nascar awards. Stapp played two Creed songs there, one of which was broadcast on national TV. The Gone Blind drummer, who swore to Mark he would not do this and shook his hand in friendship, was up on stage playing with the rest of Gone Blind, backing up Stapp. Mark had been lied to yet again.

So that is why Mark said the "pawn shop" quote. He is pissed about the whole thing and, if you know Mark, he does not suger coat things for the press. He tells it straight up, PC or not. In his view, Gone Blind, a band that he befriended and bent over backwards to help has knowingly and willingly backstabbed him.

Dogstar
06-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the info, Marcos. I was kind of wondering where all that came from.

titan9
06-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Yeah, it all makes sense now. I really feel bad for Mark, now knowing what happened from his standpoint. That drummer should not have promised to not perform Creed songs when he probably knew that, as long as he stuck with Gone Blind and Stapp, he'd have to do those songs. To lie to Mark like that, man, that's just wrong and I definitely don't respect Gone Blind after this.

I've said from the beginning that I do not like the idea of Stapp performing the Creed songs and I stand by that. It's really sad that Stapp would disrespect Mark in that way. Granted, Mark has not been kind to Stapp in all the interviews since the break-up, but if Stapp wanted to show that he's the more mature man, that he's willing to make peace with Mark, Brian and Flip, he's definitely failed.

But I still laugh when I read that quote.:laugh:

The Lithium
06-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Assholes!

No Titan, Mark haven't been a nice guy when it comes to Stapp. But there's a lot of reasons, this is just one!

tremonti4life04
06-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Sounds like i was pissed at stapp for the same reason tremonti is. It comes from a musical standpoint, and common sense. If you write a song with someone, and you share a copyright under one band name, its wrong to assume that one band member can go out and do the songs to keep their name alive. I respect alter bridge for that, Myles Kennedy isnt doing Mayfield Four songs, Tremonti doesnt play creed songs out, thats how it should be.

Dogstar
06-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Exactly. Unless they came to some sort of agreement, that stuff should be played only by Creed, all of Creed.

titan9
06-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Assholes!

No Titan, Mark haven't been a nice guy when it comes to Stapp. But there's a lot of reasons, this is just one!

Oh yeah, if he's said those things for the right reasons, I can't really fault Mark. That would stink to have a guy who was once one of your best friends just betray his promise to you. That's pretty much how it is in this situation. If everything Mark said is true(and I'm beginning to believe it is), then Stapp has betrayed his promise to Mark to not perform Creed songs. I'm a big Stapp fan, but even I can't defend him in this situation.

tremonti4life04
06-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Stapp is trying to keep his name alive, thats all there is to it. If i wrote a song with a band, i know i certainly wouldnt want an ex member of that band playing it out and making money off of it. The ONLY creed song that Stapp should be able to play out still is With Arms Wide Open, that was for his son, and from being a father as well as a musician i can say that it would be fair. I whole heartedly agree with everything that was said in the interview with tremonti tho, whole heartedly. Crucify me if you want, its been my opinion from the get-go.

Higher_Desire
06-23-2005, 12:16 AM
Dang. I've been out of the loop for a while. What was the "pawn shop" quote? Ehh, maybe I'll find it somewhere. It sucks that Mark has been being used like that (if that was indeed the case). Since I don't know all the details, I can't make a clear-cut decision, but if there was an agreement between Scott and Mark that neither of them would play Creed songs, Scott should have stuck to it.

H-D :pimp:

Bridge of Clay
06-23-2005, 12:43 AM
Colin, it's on the new GuitarOne article.

TeriB19
06-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Wow, with friends like those............

Thanks for the info Marcos!

aussiecreeder
06-23-2005, 09:46 AM
reason # 9832 stapp is a douchebag.........

i don't care if stapp plays creed songs on tour ( in fact i'ld probably like to hear him play with arms wide open considering what its about and its personal meaning to him) but he should have kept the verbal agreement. furthermore he is making a gigantic fool of himself but saying creed are going to get back together when it would take a near miracle for that to occur in the next 10 years.

Xterminator27
06-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Creed who?

tremonti4life04
06-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Tremonti and the boys are having too much fun with Alter Bridge, and doing the style they've wanted and they have the freedom to do whatever they wish. I think that I would be highly disappointed if i did see creed get back together. I love creed, and that band will always have a ton of meaning to whatever i do with music, but its over, they are all going to realize that creed was a great thing, but their separate bands are gonna do them a lot better in the long run.

Anna1011
06-23-2005, 03:59 PM
how can stapp really believe that they are gonna get back together its just rediculous
as my mum would say hes got a screw loose

uncertaindrumer
06-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Before all of this... I thought Stapp fans ewre crazy but heck, it is their opinion. Anyone who still respects the guy after this is just a moron. Plain and simple. I hope I'm not breaking any board rules by saying that cuz it is friggin true. Alright, you like his voice, and you like his preachy crappy lyrics.

Fine. But the guy has used and abused his friends, just to stay in the spotlight. Oh yeah, he's a GREAT Christian. Maybe he should go listen to some of his own lyrics.

Also, anyone who says that this is all a lie and a conspiracy is also crazy. There is simply too much evidence to claim it is all lies.

This is the msot disheartening news I have heard in a while. I mean, I have never liekd Stapp but even I didn't think he was quite this much of a jerkov. Also, for Goneblind... You have compeltely lost any chance of becoming a popular band, PERIOD. Tremonti did just about everything he could for you and you spurn him like this? If a band with as cruddy of morals and loyalty as that can get big (which heck, in this world is possible), I will go jump off a bridge.

Bridge of Clay
06-26-2005, 02:01 PM
ditto.

shiver
06-26-2005, 09:00 PM
You know I never had a problem with with stapp doing Creed songs, because he was the voice of Creed, but if AB was doin them I would not like that. Since there was an agreement made though, it sucks. The more that comes out, the more stapp looks bad.

Bridge of Clay
06-26-2005, 10:06 PM
if he was singing them a capella, it would be ok.

But since he got a pawn shop band to back him up, it isn't.

uncertaindrumer
06-26-2005, 10:25 PM
You know I never had a problem with with stapp doing Creed songs, because he was the voice of Creed, but if AB was doin them I would not like that. Since there was an agreement made though, it sucks. The more that comes out, the more stapp looks bad.

He might have been the voice, but the entirety of the instrumental parts were written by OTHER people, so yeah, if he wants to do a solo job (like to see him try and strum some chords, lol!) fine. But even without the agreement this is ridiculous, much less with it.

Dogstar
06-26-2005, 10:30 PM
But since he got a pawn shop band to back him up, it isn't.
:laugh:

Ana4Stapp
06-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Stapp needs to get it: Creed is over!!! It's tottally absurd puts the Creed word after his signature in the end of a letter. It doenst make any sense???NO!!

What this guy really needs to do is a simple thing: just sing his own songs, not Creed songs.Period.

By the way, "singing his own songs" part, of course means somewhat, ONLY IF HE RELEASES HIS CD SOMEDAY!!!!! :mad:

Look, I'm still his fan, but I cant stand his recent attitudes or maybe... the lack of them... :rolleyes:

Bridge of Clay
06-27-2005, 10:10 AM
mostly the lack of them...

Chase
06-27-2005, 02:01 PM
You know what? It seems that since day 1 of the Creed breakup, Mark has been talking shit on Stapp. Whether it was to ordinary Creed fans or to the media. Mark is not a saint and he is guilty of also adding fuel to the fire. Yes, Stapp and Gone Blind do need to explain themselves to Mark... however, I don't entirely blame Stapp for performing these songs. Stapp did the perfect thing to get back at Mark for all the shit talking he did. It makes sense. I think both of them are acting like immature rock stars. I don't believe that Stapp is as bad as Mark makes him out to be and likewise, I don't believe that it was right for Stapp to play Creed songs with Gone Blind.

Bridge of Clay
06-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Chase,

And what are your thoughts on the all shit talking Stapp did to Mark, Brian and Flip ?

It's easy to point biased fingers.

titan9
06-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Yes, but I don't think Stapp is carrying himself very well. If he wanted to show that he's the bigger man, that he has really changed, that he has matured, then he would have kept to the agreement and continued to say nothing but nice things about Flip, Mark and Brian. Scott says that he's been through a lot. I believe that and I feel bad for him about that. He says that he has refound his faith. I'm extremely happy to hear that, as a fellow Christian. He says that he has matured, but when he breaks an agreement like this, I can't believe that. I can't believe he's changed that much if he does this to Mark. If Mark said, "you know what. It's alright if you play Creed songs during your solo career," then I could completely understand Stapp deciding to perform those songs on tour. But what gets me is that he broke an agreement with Mark and, not only that, is being disrespectful to the rest of the members of Creed by doing the songs on tour.

Scott has carried himself extremely well in interviews, saying nothing but good things about his former bandmates. But by continuing on with his plan to perform Creed songs on tour despite Mark's protest and despite the agreement, he's carrying himself badly and it is a negative to his solo career. If Scott has enough solo songs written and completed, he needs to do those during his live show and he needs to win over new fans with his new songs. If Scott and Mark did not make that agreement, I would say that doing a Creed cover a show is fine, but because of the agreement, I can't say that.

EDIT:I was replying to Chase's post, not Marcos. I don't want any confusion over that, lol.

Ana4Stapp
06-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Ditto, Titan! ;)

Also, no one is "saint", but even though I'm still a Stapp fan, this guy is disapointing me a lot. And that is not about what Tremonti said, or Goneblind did, or Wind Up isnt doing, but is concerning WHAT Stapp is DOING. :mad:
He's the only one person responsible for it.

Chase
06-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Chase,

And what are your thoughts on the all shit talking Stapp did to Mark, Brian and Flip ?

It's easy to point biased fingers.

And what about Brian Marshall talking shit on Eddie Vedder? I don't point any biased fingers? Accusing each of them of being guilty of the demise of Creed is not a biased opinion. The one who is probably least guilty of anything is Flip. You and I both know that 3/4 of Alter Bridge have been talking shit on Scott Stapp. It's documented fact. None of us were there during the falling out of Creed. It's also documented that Stapp had health problems. Stapp didn't handle himself professionally while his health was failing on the last Creed tour... but he did have problems. The rest of Creed knew that. They bailed on Stapp and started Alter Bridge. I hate to admit it, but Stapp has had a more positive impact on Tremonti, Marshall, and Flip... in terms of popularity and record sales than Myles Kennedy has had (thus far). I've said this before, I love Alter Bridge and Scott Stapp equally. However, Stapp is such an easy guy to crucify. He's had his problems. Yet, who hasn't had problems? But how is Mark Tremonti's rants about the evils of Scott Stapp make things better or make him look like the victim in Creed? It does quite the opposite. He's the one who left Stapp and he doesn't have to ever associate himself with Stapp again. Stapp gave Mark all sorts of praise in all of the post Creed interviews I've seen him conduct. So now he's sticking up for himself by playing Creed songs and breaking the "sacred" agreement that the two men had. I'm just telling it like it is... and I see two men who have brought this conflict to its boiling point... TOGETHER.

Dogstar
06-28-2005, 01:21 AM
It does take two to tango. I wouldn't say Stapp is the only one at fault here. But to me, it speaks volumes when Mark and Flip and Brian get together to create music without Stapp. It may be that Stapp lost interest in Creed. Who knows? Stapp may have wanted to go one way and Mark and the guys in a different way. If Stapp's album ever does come out, I wonder how silent he will be when the press keeps asking him questions about his old band. It's bound to come up. So far, he's been complimentary. The thing about supposedly breaking the agreement regarding the playing of Creed songs, though, is disheartening.

titan9
06-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I agree with you, Dogstar. It will be interesting to hear how Scott responds to the constant questions about Creed and what caused the break-up when his CD is out. Even though both sides have sorta answered the break-up question, you know how the media is and you know they want dirt. They want Scott to say something bad about Mark, Brian or Flip and they want to see a controversy come out of that. I just hope Scott decides to take the high road with that and doesn't bad mouth the guys.

I also agree about the agreement. It's really sad that Scott has broken that agreement with Mark. Scott was carrying himself really well since the break-up, but then he went and did this. Even if he did it to "get back at Mark" it was still wrong, in my opinion, and it paints Scott in a bad light.

Wylde-Tremonti
06-29-2005, 01:21 PM
alright.. i've been looking at these posts... and well... here's what i think

1. No one in Creed was completely Innocent. Mark, Scott, Flip, and Brian all had a part in the dispute.

2. Scott Stapp shouldn't Be Playing Creed Songs. Goneblind shouldn't be helping him. End Of Story

3. Mark may not being nice... but he's telling it like it is.

4. Stapp is in denial.

5. All the Christian stuff doesn't Need to be brought up here...

6. We Don't Have the Full story here... Mark Said there is more that he could say about stapp that he wishes not to bring up because HE DOESN'T WANT TO BASH STAPP. That leads me to believe that there was more to the break up on Stapp's part that no one is hearing about...

Chase
06-29-2005, 04:06 PM
I don't think that Stapp is in denial... I do, however, think that he handled himself the way he did to show that he wouldn't stoop to Tremonti's level of bashing. It felt weird seeing other guys play "Higher." But you have to remember that "Higher" was the song that put Creed into the elite of rock and from a marketing standpoint I can understand why he used that song as a promotion tool for his solo efforts. I didn't mind it so much on the radio tour that he did late last year, but seeing it performed on national television with the full band wasn't something that I wanted to see. He's only been playing "Higher" with the exception of "With Arms Wide Open" which was played once. I honestly don't foresee him playing a bunch of Creed songs when he goes on tour to support his new CD. I just think that he was trying to pull in the listeners who were familiar with Creed because they enjoyed "Higher." While I've thought that Tremonti's comments have been tacky and immature in the past, Stapp has gone down to that level. The two men may have had an agreement. But Tremonti's been ragging on Stapp since day 1, almost to the point where I feel like gagging. It's repetitive and childish. One thing that Stapp is infamous for is his temper. He probably said "Screw the agreement, I'm going to play what I want to play." Although I think it's wrong for him to exploit Creed's past for his own gain, I'm still not shocked that he withdrew the agreement after being attacked left and right. In fact, I'm surprised he hasn't been bashing the rest of the band in public in response to all of the negative criticism he's been getting.

One more thing, I don't think it's our place to judge Stapp's relationship with God either. Struggling Christians do things that they probably shouldn't do. But give the guy the benefit of the doubt when he says that he's trying his best to reconcile with God. Even Christians sin and mess up. I'm only defending Stapp because I feel that it's not right to say "That's not a very Christian thing to do... blah blah blah" because every Christian on the planet has sinned. His faith doesn't concern us, his music does. Bottom line: Stapp shouldn't be playing Creed songs and Tremonti needs to get the picture that just about everyone on the planet knows about why he hates Stapp. Neither of what they're doing is benefiting anybody.

titan9
06-29-2005, 05:51 PM
I agree with you, Chase, about Stapp concerning his faith. I do not feel like it is my place, as a Christian, to judge his actions in respect to his faith. Just because what he is doing is not a "very Christian" thing to do, it doesn't make him a bad Christian. Every Christian sins and Stapp is no different. Because he is famous, he is unfortunately harshly judged when he makes a mistake like this one or any of the mistakes he has made in the past.

As Christians, we aren't supposed to judge one another, or at least that's what I believe. There is only one person who should be judging us: God. So why judge Stapp, the Christian? It doesn't make sense to me. Judge him as an artist, but leave his spirituality out of it. Because, really, if we were in his shoes, would we want to be judged so harshly concerning our faith? I wouldn't.

uncertaindrumer
06-29-2005, 09:52 PM
I agree with you, Chase, about Stapp concerning his faith. I do not feel like it is my place, as a Christian, to judge his actions in respect to his faith. Just because what he is doing is not a "very Christian" thing to do, it doesn't make him a bad Christian. Every Christian sins and Stapp is no different. Because he is famous, he is unfortunately harshly judged when he makes a mistake like this one or any of the mistakes he has made in the past.

As Christians, we aren't supposed to judge one another, or at least that's what I believe. There is only one person who should be judging us: God. So why judge Stapp, the Christian? It doesn't make sense to me. Judge him as an artist, but leave his spirituality out of it. Because, really, if we were in his shoes, would we want to be judged so harshly concerning our faith? I wouldn't.
I don't judge him AS a Christian but for the way in which he basically turned Creed into a Christian band and then denied doing it. That has nothing to do with how good of a Christian he is.

Ana4Stapp
06-29-2005, 10:28 PM
alright.. i've been looking at these posts... and well... here's what i think

1. No one in Creed was completely Innocent. Mark, Scott, Flip, and Brian all had a part in the dispute.

2. Scott Stapp shouldn't Be Playing Creed Songs. Goneblind shouldn't be helping him. End Of Story

3. Mark may not being nice... but he's telling it like it is.

4. Stapp is in denial.

5. All the Christian stuff doesn't Need to be brought up here...

6. We Don't Have the Full story here... Mark Said there is more that he could say about stapp that he wishes not to bring up because HE DOESN'T WANT TO BASH STAPP. That leads me to believe that there was more to the break up on Stapp's part that no one is hearing about...

That's just it!!!!! :bow2:

Chase
06-30-2005, 01:10 AM
I don't judge him AS a Christian but for the way in which he basically turned Creed into a Christian band and then denied doing it. That has nothing to do with how good of a Christian he is.

If you're going to accuse Scott Stapp of turning Creed into a "Christian band" because he wrote spiritual lyrics... then you're basically deeming other bands like Live and U2 as being Christian bands as well.

Wylde-Tremonti
06-30-2005, 09:19 AM
Um... sorry dude... but don't you remember Mark Saying he wrote like 90% of the creed lyrics?.... yeah... um... just drop it ;) lol

Ana4Stapp
06-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Well, Im not sure about who wrote really Creed songs, but is clear that (even though Creed in my opinion was not a Christian band) Stapp gave to the band a Christian outline even though after he denied it a lot of times. He clearly showed it in the lyrics using a large number of religious references, what was not a bad thing, Faceless man, for instance, is definitely a great song and its full of religion references.So we dont have a problem here. ;)

I can't understand why some people here are finding difficult to notice that.

As for U2 (which is my first favorite band :D ) in my opinion they are not a Christian band either and they never were, even though Bono wrote a ton of lyrics refering to the spiritual things. :)

titan9
06-30-2005, 12:19 PM

Uhm, I'm sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with you there. Did he turn Creed into a "Christian"(and, by the way, that label is WAYYYYYY overused) band by writing lyrics that did have some spirituality in them? If so, that means Bono turned U2 into a Christian band, Paul McCoy turned 12 Stones into a Christian band, Amy Lee turned Evanescence into a Christian band, Myles Kennedy(just by referencing God and Jesus in two songs) turned the Mayfield Four into a Christian band etc. See what I mean? If you're saying that Scott Stapp turned Creed into a "Christian" band by writing lyrics with varying degrees of spirituality in them(and not every Creed song has spirituality in it), then you might as well say many other musicians did the same to their respective bands. I have never heard Scott Stapp say that Creed was a "Christian" band. Nor did any of the other band members say that. Scott Stapp simply expressed himself in his lyrics and any good lyricist is supposed to do that. The lyrics are supposed to come from the heart and they are not supposed to be made up.

uncertaindrumer
06-30-2005, 01:09 PM
If you're going to accuse Scott Stapp of turning Creed into a "Christian band" because he wrote spiritual lyrics... then you're basically deeming other bands like Live and U2 as being Christian bands as well.

Meh. I love U2, and think they have some very Christian elements. I certainly don't think it was a problem that Creed had very Christian elements. I mean, anyone who has been to F&R knows I am a hugely devoted Christian and I definitely don't mind that flavor in my music.

My problem was that he seemed to try to promote and deny that image at the same time, although like I have said before this was not all Stapp's fault, as much as I wouldn't mind it being. WU wanted to do the very same thing. They wanted Creed to be a Christianish band for the Bible belt and wanted them to be rockstars for everywhere else. That isn't all Stapp's fault.

uncertaindrumer
06-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Um... sorry dude... but don't you remember Mark Saying he wrote like 90% of the creed lyrics?.... yeah... um... just drop it ;) lol

This actually brings up somethign that has been bothering me. Who said most of the Creed lyrics were written by Mark? was it Mark or his brother? If it was his brother that makes sense--he is defending his brother and exaggerating in doing so. If it was Mark, that brings into question the validity of his other statements because he would be contradicting himself. I remember in an early interview, when explainign the new lyrics, he described them as being about everyone's lives, and that they weren't about the Bible the way Creed's lyrics were, because Mark "doesn't know the Bible".

Also, any average listener can just TELL the difference in AB's and Creed's lyrics. So I msut say that if Mark claimed to write %90 of Creed's lyrics... That would suck. Becuase that would mean he lied at least once.

titan9
06-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I find it hard to believe that Mark wrote 90% of Creed's lyrics. It just doesn't add up to me. The lyrics reflect Stapp's supposed past more so than they reflect Mark's past. If Mark did write the lyrics.....then why did he wait this long to say it? And why did he lie about it? It just doesn't make any sense and I just don't believe it.

Gabriel
06-30-2005, 01:56 PM
At no time has Mark ever stated that he wrote 90% of the Creed lyrics. I'd guess that it was more like 20%. It totally depends on the song. Take Torn, for example. He wrote all of the lyrics in that song. Take With Arms Wide Open..... Mark wrote none of the lyrics. Take My Own Prison... Mark wrote the lyrics for the chorus(the part that he sings).

Also, I DO NOT "exaggerate" things to defend my brother. Anything I have ever posted is fact that can be corroborated by many sources.

Michael

Bridge of Clay
06-30-2005, 01:57 PM
No, no...

the 90% thing became after an Alter Bridge concert who Michael, not Tremonti but the one from marktremonti.net, attended. He met the guys before the gig and Mark invited him and a friend for lunch. Another person from their board saw the scene and "asked" to go along.

During lunch they talked about a lot of things, like the Creed break-up and stuff... And Mark said he contributed to Creed more than people know, or something along this line.

Now this "uninvited" one posted a review after the gig, telling all the stuff he was asked to not spread plus twisted words. According to Michael (not Tremonti), Mark never said he wrote 90% of Creed lyrics.

I see Michael Tremonti (Gabriel) is reading this thread as I post. Please correct me if I'm wrong, coz I'm not sure if I got all the facts straight. This is the way I remember. I apologize before hand for any inconvenience.

Chase
06-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Meh. I love U2, and think they have some very Christian elements. I certainly don't think it was a problem that Creed had very Christian elements. I mean, anyone who has been to F&R knows I am a hugely devoted Christian and I definitely don't mind that flavor in my music.

My problem was that he seemed to try to promote and deny that image at the same time, although like I have said before this was not all Stapp's fault, as much as I wouldn't mind it being. WU wanted to do the very same thing. They wanted Creed to be a Christianish band for the Bible belt and wanted them to be rockstars for everywhere else. That isn't all Stapp's fault.

Believe me, I totally understand where you're coming from. I also think that this image that the media tainted Creed with stirred up enough controversy surrounding the band... which eventually made people more interested in actually listening to Mark and Scott's lyrical collaborations. I love the fact that bands like Creed, Live, and U2 have been able to write such great spiritually ambiguous songs. That was one of the saddest parts about the Creed breakup for me... knowing that there is no longer a Tremonti/Stapp partnership lyrically speaking.

uncertaindrumer
06-30-2005, 04:06 PM
At no time has Mark ever stated that he wrote 90% of the Creed lyrics. I'd guess that it was more like 20%. It totally depends on the song. Take Torn, for example. He wrote all of the lyrics in that song. Take With Arms Wide Open..... Mark wrote none of the lyrics. Take My Own Prison... Mark wrote the lyrics for the chorus(the part that he sings).

Also, I DO NOT "exaggerate" things to defend my brother. Anything I have ever posted is fact that can be corroborated by many sources.

Michael

Well I certainly was not saying that you have--only that if you did, it would make sense all together. But seeing as you are now saying that Mark did NOT write %90 of the lyrics everything makes sense.

Xterminator27
07-04-2005, 02:28 AM
whooo caaarrrreeesss.

As long as mark makes godly music for me to listen to.

I am happy

Justify
02-21-2006, 10:54 AM
I've read through this post and I can't believe all the people who are upset that Stapp is going to be playing Creed songs at his concerts. Many artists who have went solo play their old music. Would you expect to go to a Paul McCartney concert and not a hear a Beatles or Wings song? Would you expect Sting not sing some of his music from the Police? When Lennon was alive would you have expected him not to play "Lucy in the Sky". Most solo artist play their old stuff as well as their new. I don't see the big deal. We know it won't be the same as it would be if Mark were playing with him but I think he has the right to sing the ones he wrote. Just as Mark has the right to play the ones he wrote.

The Gone Blind guys should have never told Mark they wouldn't play Creed songs if they intended to... But I don't see a problem with them playing Creed songs with the lead singer of Creed.

Personally I don't care about the promises Scott and Mark made to each other about performing Creed songs. They probably broke many more promises because of the break up. The fact is that they don't answer to each other any more. Why would I care about a promise I made to someone who I no longer associate with?

I think both guys a great artists. Both guys have probably broken promises. Neither are perfect. I don't hold either on a pedistal.

eusebioCBR
02-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Mark had alot to do with the music and the melody. Creed was his life for nearly a decade. Maybe he doesn't like the idea of something he poured his heart and soul into being the subject of counterfeit. I don't even know who Scotts back up band is and I don't care because I think they are irrelevant. They can be switched with another band at Scotts whim as I believe his only allegiance is to himself. Scott can do whatever he wants but, relying on CREED so soon doesn't display much confidence in his solo effort.IMO

Justify
02-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Mark had alot to do with the music and the melody. Creed was his life for nearly a decade. Maybe he doesn't like the idea of something he poured his heart and soul into being the subject of counterfeit. I don't even know who Scotts back up band is and I don't care because I think they are irrelevant. They can be switched with another band at Scotts whim as I believe his only allegiance is to himself. Scott can do whatever he wants but, relying on CREED so soon doesn't display much confidence in his solo effort.IMO

You are correct in that Scott could lose his band and get another any time he wants. The only reason I mentioned them is because Scott's brother mentioned them in the story this thread was started from.

As far as Scott relying on Creed so soon... I really don't think that is the case. I think he is giving his fans what they want. I don't think he's worried about what Mark will think or what any of the other people who dislike him think. Why is Mark worried about it when he wants nothing to do with Creed anymore. He has his own band and is pretty much the leader of that band now. I don't know, I think if Mark had a singer who sounded similar to Scott he would be doing some Creed stuff as well. Just my opinion though. I don't have anything against either of them. I think they are both great artists.

RMadd
02-21-2006, 03:49 PM
hopefully no one's gonna pitch a fit about having the verbal agreement... strictly speaking, such an agreement is not legally binding, so even if they're crappy friends, they have every right to (since, after all, Stapp's name is on the writing credits).

Chase
02-21-2006, 04:27 PM
This is the point I've been making for a long time. All of these other artists play songs from their former bands... but when Stapp does it, the world is apparently coming to an end. Chris Cornell does it, Tom Morello and company, Scott Weiland, Jerry Cantrell, Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, Sting, and many others.

nagpo
02-21-2006, 04:31 PM
i dont have a problem with stapp still singing them(but i do think he needs to drop the creed sound and develop his own origional sound now that he is on his solo career) but, i do have a problem with goneblind playing them.(mainly because goneblind sucks.....but i like the drummer). so i think its official, no creed reunion EVER!

:)

eusebioCBR
02-21-2006, 04:51 PM
"why is Mark worried about it?" part of that music belongs to Mark and the rest of Creed as well. Mark, Scott P, Brian and Brett plyed a large part in CREED and maybe they don't want their music played by JUST anybody. I know Mr. Stapp is on the credits but, I just find it hard to believe he was the creative entity. If he were the sole creator wouldn't The Great Devide have been better? All I'm saying is maybe Mark doesn't want Creeds music played by a back up band. :tremonti:

Steve
02-22-2006, 09:54 AM
[Mark Tremonti] He's the one who left Stapp and he doesn't have to ever associate himself with Stapp again. Stapp gave Mark all sorts of praise in all of the post Creed interviews I've seen him conduct.

Just a little tidbit of info: in the little TV Poker game Stapp filmed for the Spike TV network, he said he WAS Creed and he FIRED the other guys....

RoffeDH
02-22-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't know, I think if Mark had a singer who sounded similar to Scott he would be doing some Creed stuff as well. Just my opinion though. I don't have anything against either of them. I think they are both great artists.

NO WAY!... Did he just say what I think he did? Mark doesn't want to play creed songs ever again... He's left that behind. If Mark wanted he could have gotten a singer similar to Stapp and if they wanted Myles could sing Creed songs... And I can only think of how great that would sound! The reson he's mad at Gone Blind is becouse they made the promis not to play Creed songs with Stapp. The reson he's mad at Stapp is becous when Mark told Stapp that "hey, the band's over, were moving on and will you please not play Creed songs" Stapp replied "Okey, yeah shur" (not what actually happened but it could have been that way. Mark says that Stapp agreed on not playing Creed songs and Stapp haven't said that's not true, so I'm asuming Stapp broke that promise knowing that Creed was over!

TeriB19
02-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Just a little tidbit of info: in the little TV Poker game Stapp filmed for the Spike TV network, he said he WAS Creed and he FIRED the other guys....
Yep, I distinctly remember that was ONE of the things Scott said clearly without slurring.;)

Justify
02-22-2006, 02:00 PM
NO WAY!... Did he just say what I think he did? Mark doesn't want to play creed songs ever again... He's left that behind. If Mark wanted he could have gotten a singer similar to Stapp and if they wanted Myles could sing Creed songs... And I can only think of how great that would sound! The reson he's mad at Gone Blind is becouse they made the promis not to play Creed songs with Stapp. The reson he's mad at Stapp is becous when Mark told Stapp that "hey, the band's over, were moving on and will you please not play Creed songs" Stapp replied "Okey, yeah shur" (not what actually happened but it could have been that way. Mark says that Stapp agreed on not playing Creed songs and Stapp haven't said that's not true, so I'm asuming Stapp broke that promise knowing that Creed was over!

If Mark doesn't want to play Creed songs ever again then he doesn't need to worry about Scott playing them. I don't think Stapp is a saint by any means. He probably did break the promise but If I was him I would play Creed songs too. What is wrong with him wanting people to associate him with Creed. If he wants to sell albums and sell himself that is the best thing he could do.

I think Stapp and Tremonti are both great at what they do. I just think this issue is a little petty. As I and others have stated what is the big deal about solo artists playing their previously released music?

Alter_who?
03-01-2006, 10:28 PM
As far as being a "peiced together, pawn shop band".........
They sounded pretty good to me and everyone else in Atlanta that was at the show.

RoffeDH
03-02-2006, 09:09 AM
If Mark doesn't want to play Creed songs ever again then he doesn't need to worry about Scott playing them. I don't think Stapp is a saint by any means. He probably did break the promise but If I was him I would play Creed songs too. What is wrong with him wanting people to associate him with Creed. If he wants to sell albums and sell himself that is the best thing he could do.

I think Stapp and Tremonti are both great at what they do. I just think this issue is a little petty. As I and others have stated what is the big deal about solo artists playing their previously released music?

The thing is he doesn't want to sell records based on AB being 3/4 of Creed, he want's to make it without Stapp in the background. The fact that Stapp playes Creed songs just makes it harder for people to forgett Creed an I belvie that is the main goal for Mark since he tried to stopp the best of CD to be realesed...

"If he wants to sell albums and sell himself that is the best thing he could do"
HE DOESN'T WANT TO SELL HIMSLEF... Francly who does? Don't you wish to make it in your way and a way you can be proud of?

Justify
03-02-2006, 09:36 AM
As far as being a "peiced together, pawn shop band".........
They sounded pretty good to me and everyone else in Atlanta that was at the show.

I have to agree. I was there too. Scott and Gond Blind sounded great. They were no "peiced together pawn shop band". I'll tell you another thing too. They did a freaking awesome job on the Creed songs too.

i dont have a problem with stapp still singing them(but i do think he needs to drop the creed sound and develop his own origional sound now that he is on his solo career) but, i do have a problem with goneblind playing them.(mainly because goneblind sucks.....but i like the drummer). so i think its official, no creed reunion EVER!

:)

I think Scott would be committing career suicide if he dropped the Creed sound totally. Especially in the beginning. I, like most of his other fans, was hoping that his new cd would have the Creed sound. Most of his new songs do sound similar to Creed but I also think they have a new sound to them as well. After all, he is one of the creators of Creed. Why would he want to change his sound when he helped create it in the first place. I'll tell you another thing too... Gone Blind does not suck. I have never heard their old music but I will say that they really rocked at the concert. They played Scott's new music perfectly and they added a little of their own sound to the Creed songs they played. They freaking rocked on Bullets. John Curry also did an awesome job on what would normally be Mark's vocals in MOP.

eusebioCBR
03-02-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm a CREED fan first and IMO CREED music played by any other band is still fraudulent. Don't try to tell me I can't say that without hearing them. It's a matter of principal and LOYALTY! I will always be a CREED purist wether it's popular or not.:smokin:

Justify
03-02-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm a CREED fan first and IMO CREED music played by any other band is still fraudulent. Don't try to tell me I can't say that without hearing them. It's a matter of principal and LOYALTY! I will always be a CREED purist wether it's popular or not.:smokin:

Scott Stapp was part of Creed. Its not like it is a totally different band all together. He was, like it or not, the voice of Creed. When Brian Marshal left Creed were you upset because Creed was still playing Creed songs. I guess Creed should have just dropped all the songs from their setlist that Brian had any part in originally. Do you have a problem with Paul McCartney playing Hey Jude? Or what about Sting or Phil Collins playing stuff from The Police or Genesis. There is not better logic than that in my opinion. Lets face it... whether some of you like it or not Scott Stapp had part in writing Creeds music. I know some of you like to think Mark Tremonti is a saint and wrote every song but he didn't. I believe if an artist helped to create something as great as Creeds music he should have every right to perform it. I have no problem with Tremonti. I think he is a great artist... but this is just rediculous.

Here's a quote from Stapp from a resent interview that I think explains my point:
The music is fresh, rich in texture, and in terms of volume The Great Divide sounds a lot like Creed. It has that classic guitar sound that sold Scott Stapp millions of records throughout the years. “It should (sound like Creed),” asserts Scott,” I mean that’s my sound. I didn’t write all the guitar parts in Creed, but when I met Mark, he was more into the 1980s high vocalists, and Mark and I really had to work hard together to dial into a sound that would sit good with my voice and that was within my range. That sound is a sound that I helped create and not just with my voice and my lyrics, but the music as well.”

Scott helped to harness the sound of Creed and he has every right to perform it. Especially songs with lyrics that he wrote. Mark and Scott seem to be doing what they both love now. Mark is now performing music that he wants to perform so why is he worried about what Scott Stapp is doing. Does it affect Mark in any way? No. Mark probably isn't even worried about it anymore but we are all here still arguing over it.

Someone please tell me what is wrong with my logic here?

eusebioCBR
03-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Yes I do have a problem with all of your examples. Those are choices made by other artists and I'm not sure if there former bandmates objected or not. That's great your happy with Scotts new band because he needs all the support he can get. I choose to support Mark and AB. I'm not saying you're wrong but as far as I'm concerned I am right.:tremonti:

Justify
03-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Yes I do have a problem with all of your examples. Those are choices made by other artists and I'm not sure if there former bandmates objected or not. That's great your happy with Scotts new band because he needs all the support he can get. I choose to support Mark and AB. I'm not saying you're wrong but as far as I'm concerned I am right.:tremonti:

I don't need to choose between the 2. I like both of them. I like both their bands. And yes those are choices made by other artists. Scott can make his own choices too. Who cares what a FORMER band mate thinks. The great thing about both of them being split up now is that both can do their own thing without having to worry about what the other thinks and without having to get input from the other.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

bilal
03-02-2006, 10:25 PM
I don't need to choose between the 2. I like both of them. I like both their bands. And yes those are choices made by other artists. Scott can make his own choices too. Who cares what a FORMER band mate thinks. The great thing about both of them being split up now is that both can do their own thing without having to worry about what the other thinks and without having to get input from the other.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

:eek: :eek: :eek: cant seem to get it down my system!!!!

ne ways

well........... no matter who wirtes the songs or who sings it ........in the end..............the songs and the records belongs to the band as a whole............. no one owns it or have more rights.........(i guess) ................ i think it must be veery hard from Mark's point of view to refrain himself from actuallly playin creed songs............but i respect his decision not to play em as he said that it wil be both unjustifed for Myles and Stapp as well..................... well..........also to the creed fans........... but its good decision.............. not actuall from fans standpoint .........damn

creediscool17
10-08-2009, 12:32 AM
alter bridge came out with "one day remains" which was kinda like creed but a lot better and poor old stapp was still living off of the past and other peoples creative efforts. mark is obviously just as important if not more in their song writing process being that stapps solo stuff was bad and the new creed songs are sounding great, and it is mark thats progressed these last 6 years, not stapp... obviously..

bilal
10-09-2009, 01:59 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: cant seem to get it down my system!!!!

ne ways

well........... no matter who wirtes the songs or who sings it ........in the end..............the songs and the records belongs to the band as a whole............. no one owns it or have more rights.........(i guess) ................ i think it must be veery hard from Mark's point of view to refrain himself from actuallly playin creed songs............but i respect his decision not to play em as he said that it wil be both unjustifed for Myles and Stapp as well..................... well..........also to the creed fans........... but its good decision.............. not actuall from fans standpoint .........damn

Do I use to type like that?... what the f***!