Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Greatest movie ever? [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Greatest movie ever?

aussiecreeder
02-05-2005, 05:32 AM
While the old classics produced some quality material like Alfred Hitchcock's work or a movie like Casablanca my two pics that I can't split are both from the 90's. The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile which to me are simply classics and the fact they were both largely ignored in their respective years for the Oscars shows how that and other awards are largely irrevelant.

The Lithium
02-05-2005, 06:57 AM
I'll have to go with The Lion King or Moulin Rouge

creedsister
02-05-2005, 01:19 PM
:D Lion King Rules I WILL HAVE TO SAY T2 Jugement Day That :smokin: Move Till This Day Still Kicks Ass I,LL BE BACK :D

fluttergirl
02-05-2005, 03:48 PM
dont forget the eighties, some of the best ever
sixteen candles
top gun
farris bueller
dirty dancing
princess bride

damn good movies, if not so great quality picture, i need to go back and get all of them on dvd, makes me wonder how much better theyd have been if they had had our technology

like, starwars with 2005-esque technology, ridiculously good....

RMadd
02-05-2005, 03:54 PM
like, starwars with 2005-esque technology, ridiculously good....
i dunno... George Lucas had pretty good technology when making Episode I a few years ago, and that movie absolutely sucked. it's like he concentrated too much on special effects and not enough on a good plot w/ good characters. Episode II was better, tho. Hopefully Episode III this summer will kick arse!

fluttergirl
02-05-2005, 03:59 PM
i think these arent as good because hes so limited, hes got a new audience hes trying to appeal to, he has changed a lot of the way the movies appear to appeal to this entirely different generation.
mostly, im just thinking they would have better technology than petroleum jelly wiped on a camera lens for special effects, lol.

revisfoot
02-05-2005, 03:59 PM
OMG...Episode III is going to be THE MOVIE. I can't wait!

TeriB19
02-05-2005, 04:51 PM
The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile which to me are simply classics and the fact they were both largely ignored in their respective years for the Oscars shows how that and other awards are largely irrevelant.
Quite possibly the only 2 Stephen King books made into movies that were worth their salt. I would have to agree that those 2 are 2 of the best movies made. Hard to narrow down just one ultimate 'great movie' so I'll add a few to the mix.

Gone With The Wind
The Greatest Show On Earth
Jaws
The Best Years Of Our Lives
Forrest Gump
Imitation of Life
Braveheart

RMadd
02-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Here's my list (in no particular order):
Road to Perdition
Lord of the Rings (in order, best first: RotK, TT, FotR)
Saving Private Ryan
Gladiator
Forrest Gump
...and so many more!

Lion King was a good movie but I'm not sure if it's one of the greatest. Definitely my favorite Disney cartoon

fluttergirl
02-05-2005, 06:38 PM
this is making me want to have a movie marathon....

Higher_Desire
02-05-2005, 06:38 PM
YOU'RE ALL WRONG! The greatest movie of all time is Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl.

Followed closely by (in no particular order):
Saving Private Ryan
The Passion of the Christ
Napoleon Dynamite
Road to Perdition
Shrek (I and II)
School of Rock
Casablanca
Sliding Doors

H-D :pimp:

RMadd
02-05-2005, 09:51 PM
doh, i forgot Napoleon, Shrek (both), The Passion, School of Rock...

aussiecreeder
02-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Quite possibly the only 2 Stephen King books made into movies that were worth their salt. I would have to agree that those 2 are 2 of the best movies made. Hard to narrow down just one ultimate 'great movie' so I'll add a few to the mix.

Gone With The Wind
The Greatest Show On Earth
Jaws
The Best Years Of Our Lives
Forrest Gump
Imitation of Life
Braveheart

True most of the other movies made from his books have being terribly overated. I think basically every movie Tom Hanks has being in since he became a "serious actor" is up for contention including Forrest that you've already mentioned. Castaway is just simply brillant acting considering he is in that movie for so long by himself.

TeriB19
02-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Castaway, Saving Private Ryan, Road to Perdition, all as mentioned above with Tom Hanks have been phenomenal. Unquestionably, he is one of the greatest actors of our time. And to think he began his acting career in drag!

aussiecreeder
02-06-2005, 12:22 AM
Castaway, Saving Private Ryan, Road to Perdition, all as mentioned above with Tom Hanks have been phenomenal. Unquestionably, he is one of the greatest actors of our time. And to think he began his acting career in drag!

lol a lot of the guys who I couldn't take seriously to begin with have a lot of talent in serious movies such as Robin Williams and Jim Carrey.

TeriB19
02-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Funny thing is, with Jim Carrey, I HATED him in those stupid Ace Ventura movies and he was barely tolerable in The Mask. But I thought he was great in The Truman Show. I think when he's not acting like a buffoon, he's a pretty decent actor. And Robin Williams blew me away in both Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting. He played a pretty devious baddy in Insomnia, and his range is surprisingly wide.

aussiecreeder
02-06-2005, 12:40 AM
Jim Carrey is fantastic at moving his body around and at impersonations but he can be a goofball for sure. I agree Williams was brillant in those movies you listed partculary poets society.

Scotts Angel
02-06-2005, 12:45 AM
I know you all will probably think I'm crazy, but my very favorite movie of all is: THE WIZARD OF OZ!! :D

RMadd
02-06-2005, 02:40 AM
Tom Hanks is easily my favorite actor. I got friends who just love Kevin Spacey, Bruce Willis... whatever. Tom's got each beat by miles and miles. Like Teri said, he's phenomenal.

Anna1011
02-06-2005, 05:28 AM
YOU'RE ALL WRONG! The greatest movie of all time is Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl.

H-D :pimp:

pirates of the caribbean hell yeah great movie

finding nemo
all three lord of the rings

loads more that i cant think of right now coz its too early in the morning

Anna1011
02-06-2005, 05:30 AM
I know you all will probably think I'm crazy, but my very favorite movie of all is: THE WIZARD OF OZ!! :D

aw sweet! :D i dont think ive ever seen it all the way through

TeriB19
02-06-2005, 09:25 AM

No, you're not crazy. The Wizard of Oz is definitely one of the best.

Torn Daredevil
02-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Some of you need to see more of the classics.

Some of my faves:
Citizen Kane
Psycho
The Wizard of Oz (definitely belongs on this list)
Memento
Ed Wood
Jurassic Park (not the best movie, but my fave)
Back to the Future

Torn Daredevil
02-06-2005, 02:51 PM
YOU'RE ALL WRONG! The greatest movie of all time is Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl.H-D :pimp:

As much as I love the movie, it's really nothing special without Johnny Depp's performance. And to have Napoleon Dynamite on your "best movies" list is sacrilege, LOL.

Anna1011
02-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Some of you need to see more of the classics.

Some of my faves:
Citizen Kane
Psycho
The Wizard of Oz (definitely belongs on this list)
Memento
Ed Wood
Jurassic Park (not the best movie, but my fave)
Back to the Future

i forgot back to the future its a fantastic film

TeriB19
02-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Pretty much any of the old classics directed by Alfred Hitchcock (The Birds, North By Northwest, Psycho, Vertigo) and John Ford (The Quiet Man, The Grapes of Wrath, How Green Was My Valley, Mister Roberts, Donovan's Reef) should be seen by everyone. Today's movies are good but today's directors would never be where they are without the old masters.

jango
02-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Gladiator
"What you do in life... echoes in eternity."

Patton
"Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

The Godfather
"It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business."

Shawshank Redemption
"I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. Still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone."

Pulp Fiction
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

aussiecreeder
02-07-2005, 01:38 AM
cool quotes there jango....another recent movie that i think is great is big fish directed by tim burton and stars billy crudup.

Anna1011
02-07-2005, 07:36 AM
bend it like beckham
without a paddle
phantom of the opera

Mulletman
02-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Forget the artsy-fartsy crap, Ferris Bueler.

Torn Daredevil
02-07-2005, 11:56 AM
cool quotes there jango....another recent movie that i think is great is big fish directed by tim burton and stars billy crudup.That was a good flick.

And yeah, I forgot Pulp Fiction.

creedsister
02-07-2005, 11:58 AM
it took me like 4 or 5 times, to whatch big fish before i got it, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i liked it i love tim burton

Torn Daredevil
02-07-2005, 12:01 PM
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

TeriB19
02-07-2005, 09:32 PM
A Fish Called Wanda.

creedsister
02-07-2005, 09:47 PM
I will Go wit a classics Ya,alls Gone With The Wind :D

aussiecreeder
02-08-2005, 03:25 AM
A Fish Called Wanda.
yeah that movie is great certainly the best movie i've seen with jamie lee curtis. big fish is such a good flick and i'ld put tim burton right up there with speilberg and co. pearl jam playing over the credits is the icing on the cake....hehe.

DangerousDan85
02-10-2005, 03:04 AM
the EVIL DEAD trilogy

yeah!

aussiecreeder
02-10-2005, 03:47 AM
the EVIL DEAD trilogy

yeah!

oh that is the best! :) which one is the really funny one? this is my boom stick!

DangerousDan85
02-10-2005, 03:50 AM
Army of Darkness (the 3rd one)

aussiecreeder
02-10-2005, 03:53 AM
Army of Darkness (the 3rd one)

ah i see...thanks! :) that one movie had me in stitches.........

DangerousDan85
02-10-2005, 03:58 AM
yeah its my favorite one. i actually bought a movie poster of it awhile back, but i don't have any wallspace right now to put it up

AOD poster (http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/153/425257.jpg)

you cant read it but it says "Trapped in Time. Surrounded By Evil. Low on Gas"

;)

Trimontana
02-12-2005, 12:38 PM
Mine:

Gone with the wind
Memories of Africa
Top Gun
Big
Driving Miss Daisy
Purple Rain
The Exorcist
Planet Of the Apes (Original)
Jawn

creedsister
02-13-2005, 12:22 AM
BIG Is Still One Of My Faves :smokin:

Mulletman
02-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Big is awsome and Top Gun fucking rocks.

HigherGirl
02-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Gone with the wind/ Wizard of Oz/ Top Gun/ Dirty Dancing/ Purple Rain/ Mrs Doubtfire/ Ace Ventura/ T2/ Ferris Bueller/Pretty in Pink/ The Breakfast Club/Billy Madison/Happy Gilmore... whew, thats enuff...

Trimontana
02-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Also:
The Italian Job-new version with Mark Walhberg
Dram Stokers Dracula
Lara Croft 2
Zoolander-my fav comedy ever

creedsister
03-03-2005, 08:47 PM
:D Good As it Gets One Of My Faves

uncertaindrumer
03-09-2005, 10:41 AM
My favorite movie of all time is Empire Strikes Back, but the GREATEST movie of all time is probably either Citizen Kane, or maybe 2001: A Space Odyssey.

creedsister
03-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Cool ET One Of My faves

TeriB19
03-09-2005, 04:51 PM
My favorite movie of all time is Empire Strikes BackThat is my all-time favorite of all the Star Wars movies.

creedsister
03-09-2005, 05:37 PM
It Was The Darkest Film And Then Geroge Leaves Us Hanging For 5 Or 6 Years

uncertaindrumer
03-09-2005, 11:06 PM
That is my all-time favorite of all the Star Wars movies.

It was the best, period. It was the best cinematically, it was the best acting, it had the best photography, it had the best music (imperial march, anyone?), it created the greatest villain of all time, and basically, is one of the best movies EVER, not just Star Wars. I would have to put some of the classics in front of it (CK, 2001, maybe Wizard of Oz and gone with the wind--just MAYBE...lol), but overall it is one heck of a movie.

Then he tied up the series really nicely with RotJ.

Then he ruined his reputation forever by coming out with the two most dissapointing movies since... ever. DANG the prequels. I hope Episode III is good, but I am quite pessimistic...

TeriB19
03-09-2005, 11:09 PM
I have to agree with you there. I really haven't been impressed at all with the latest in the Star Wars series. The first one, with Jar Jar was terrible. The second, with the clones, was alright but NOTHING compared with the first three. Some things are better left alone.

uncertaindrumer
03-10-2005, 10:27 AM
I have to agree with you there. I really haven't been impressed at all with the latest in the Star Wars series. The first one, with Jar Jar was terrible. The second, with the clones, was alright but NOTHING compared with the first three. Some things are better left alone.

Jar-Jar...

*shudders*

And I actually think Episode II was worse than EpiI. The acting was so terrible (outside of EwanMcGregor) that it hurt to just WATCH. Part of the charm of the first Star Wars was its campiness. Kinda cheesy, kinda corny, but it was GOOD. Episode II just has such terrible acting and such a terrible love story that I die watching it...