Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Alter Bridge/Stapp Article From Metal Edge [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Alter Bridge/Stapp Article From Metal Edge

Gabriel
12-13-2004, 12:29 PM
This was written by Paul Gargano(Editor) in the Editor's Note section of this months Metal Edge Magazine. There is also a poster of Alter Bridge in this issue. Also, Alter Bridge made several of the top ten list of albums of the year in this issue as well. Enjoy.

Editors Note
By Paul Gargano
From Metal Edge Magazine

It was a Wednesday night, and Game Four of the 2004 World Series was in its waning innings as I drove to Anaheim for what would be an amazing night of metal with Anthrax and Dio. Being a New York Yankees fan, I lost interest after game three of the series, when Boston pretty-much locked up their first championship in 86 years—Hell, what are the chances of two teams coming from behind to win the last four games, after losing the first three? Hard feelings? I have none. The Yankees are still the greatest franchise in sports history, regardless of the fact that they've made a mockery of themselves in the past few post-seasons. "Hey, the sun's gotta shine on every monkey's ass someday," my brother said of the Red Sox well-deserved victory... So, I'm driving to Anaheim, and my phone starts ringing off the hook with calls and text messages, the first of which was my broth-er: "Are you watching this crap?" "No, I'm in my car... What crap?" "Scott Stapp is butchering 'God Bless America,'" he tells me. You see, since 9-11, it has become tradition in Major League Baseball to sing "God Bless America" during every seventh inning stretch. Apparently, some suit in the St. Louis Cardinals front office decided, "If we're going to go down, we might as well go down in flames— Someone track down that guy from Creed, who better to sing during one of the worst World Series performances in history?" While I didn't hear it sung live, I knew I was in trouble when we got back from the show, and my dog was cowering on her bed, her ears buried beneath her paws—I had left the television on when I left, taping the World Series. A couple of treats sped up her recovery, but it was-n't that easy for me.
A few days earlier, I heard Stapp make an on-air appearance on a local radio station. He's doing a promo tour to support his new single—his only apparent new song, "Relearn Love," from the Passion Of The Christ album—and has been performing that song on-air at Top 40 radio stations across America. So far, I've got no problems, other than the obvious hypocrisy of his portrayal as such a devout Christian who never curses, doesn't drink or do drugs, and lives the life of the average, everyday, holier-than-thou goody two shoes next door... But, that's not my point. I'm the first to admit, I've never been a Creed fan, but I'm objective, and I'll give anyone their fair shake. Scott Stapp got his when I interviewed him on Creed's first album, it was a cover story, and he then went on a national radio show and denied ever doing the interview, because some Christian called up and said he'd upset their community by saying "fuck" in the interview. "Metal Edge made that interview up," he said on the air for millions of listeners to hear. Funny, if he never did the interview, why do I have a tape of it? Gloves were off after that. I never liked the band anyway, but was softening up to them after the interview—Good interviews often make me appreciate bands more, and the Stapp interview was a good one. But, again, I digress...
Back to these radio appearances—He plays his one song, gets his ass kissed by the on-air staff, then proceeds to jump into acoustic Creed tracks. Now this, pisses me off. It's pretty common knowledge that it was predominantly Mark Tremonti who wrote Creed's music, and Stapp that wrote the lyrics. If you doubt that, just look at how prolific Tremonti's been as a songwriter, with an entire album of Alter Bridge material that puts Creed to shame, as opposed to Stapp's one song. Tremonti, former Creed bassist Brian Marshall and drummer Scott Phillips, and new frontman Myles Kennedy are out making a name for themselves apart from Creed, while Stapp is out there try-ing to keep a name for himself by clinging to Creed. Three quarters of Creed's original lineup have faith in their future, and their former frontman, he of so much faith, is clinging to his past—Alter Bridge are working their asses off across America, as a new band, distanc-ing themselves from Creed, and Stapp is floating through the late night television circuit, reaching millions of Americans via Top 40 radio, and doing it all on the strength of music that he needed a band to write. What's wrong with this picture?
What's my point? Well -inrr vou rend this for, I might as well 'fess up—I lost a bet. I I openly asserted that the Yankees would win the American League Championship Series in Game 5, and if they didn't, that I would write my Editor's Page in a Boston accent. Well, I couldn't bare to make anyone read a page where every R was replaced with an H, so I decided that, instead, I'd use another vocal 'evice common to the city's Red Sox fans—I'd whine. For years, they've whined inces-santly about the injustice of their team's cursed past, so now it's my turn... And what bet-ser to whine about, in a music magazine, than the injustice of a band working their asses off, while their former frontman coasts on their coattails? As for Boston? I do have to give them at least some credit—While the Cardinals went and got Scott Stapp to perform, the Red Sox handed the mic to Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyier to perform the Game One "Star-Spangled Banner." That just about says it all...
Psychobabble out of the way, thanks for another great year of Metal Edge—Hope you find this month's Year In Review as interesting to read, as we did to write. Until next month, when we'll begin celebrating Metal Edge's PO1" Anniversary—Happy holidays, and best wishes for the new year...

DekWannaBFlea
12-13-2004, 12:40 PM
This was written by Paul Gargano(Editor) in the Editor's Note section of this months Metal Edge Magazine. There is also a poster of Alter Bridge in this issue. Also, Alter Bridge made several of the top ten list of albums of the year in this issue as well. Enjoy.

Editors Note
By Paul Gargano
From Metal Edge Magazine

It was a Wednesday night, and Game Four of the 2004 World Series was in its waning innings as I drove to Anaheim for what would be an amazing night of metal with Anthrax and Dio. Being a New York Yankees fan, I lost interest after game three of the series, when Boston pretty-much locked up their first championship in 86 years—Hell, what are the chances of two teams coming from behind to win the last four games, after losing the first three? Hard feelings? I have none. The Yankees are still the greatest franchise in sports history, regardless of the fact that they've made a mockery of themselves in the past few post-seasons. "Hey, the sun's gotta shine on every monkey's ass someday," my brother said of the Red Sox well-deserved victory... So, I'm driving to Anaheim, and my phone starts ringing off the hook with calls and text messages, the first of which was my broth-er: "Are you watching this crap?" "No, I'm in my car... What crap?" "Scott Stapp is butchering 'God Bless America,'" he tells me. You see, since 9-11, it has become tradition in Major League Baseball to sing "God Bless America" during every seventh inning stretch. Apparently, some suit in the St. Louis Cardinals front office decided, "If we're going to go down, we might as well go down in flames— Someone track down that guy from Creed, who better to sing during one of the worst World Series performances in history?" While I didn't hear it sung live, I knew I was in trouble when we got back from the show, and my dog was cowering on her bed, her ears buried beneath her paws—I had left the television on when I left, taping the World Series. A couple of treats sped up her recovery, but it was-n't that easy for me.
A few days earlier, I heard Stapp make an on-air appearance on a local radio station. He's doing a promo tour to support his new single—his only apparent new song, "Relearn Love," from the Passion Of The Christ album—and has been performing that song on-air at Top 40 radio stations across America. So far, I've got no problems, other than the obvious hypocrisy of his portrayal as such a devout Christian who never curses, doesn't drink or do drugs, and lives the life of the average, everyday, holier-than-thou goody two shoes next door... But, that's not my point. I'm the first to admit, I've never been a Creed fan, but I'm objective, and I'll give anyone their fair shake. Scott Stapp got his when I interviewed him on Creed's first album, it was a cover story, and he then went on a national radio show and denied ever doing the interview, because some Christian called up and said he'd upset their community by saying "fuck" in the interview. "Metal Edge made that interview up," he said on the air for millions of listeners to hear. Funny, if he never did the interview, why do I have a tape of it? Gloves were off after that. I never liked the band anyway, but was softening up to them after the interview—Good interviews often make me appreciate bands more, and the Stapp interview was a good one. But, again, I digress...
Back to these radio appearances—He plays his one song, gets his ass kissed by the on-air staff, then proceeds to jump into acoustic Creed tracks. Now this, pisses me off. It's pretty common knowledge that it was predominantly Mark Tremonti who wrote Creed's music, and Stapp that wrote the lyrics. If you doubt that, just look at how prolific Tremonti's been as a songwriter, with an entire album of Alter Bridge material that puts Creed to shame, as opposed to Stapp's one song. Tremonti, former Creed bassist Brian Marshall and drummer Scott Phillips, and new frontman Myles Kennedy are out making a name for themselves apart from Creed, while Stapp is out there try-ing to keep a name for himself by clinging to Creed. Three quarters of Creed's original lineup have faith in their future, and their former frontman, he of so much faith, is clinging to his past—Alter Bridge are working their asses off across America, as a new band, distanc-ing themselves from Creed, and Stapp is floating through the late night television circuit, reaching millions of Americans via Top 40 radio, and doing it all on the strength of music that he needed a band to write. What's wrong with this picture?
What's my point? Well -inrr vou rend this for, I might as well 'fess up—I lost a bet. I I openly asserted that the Yankees would win the American League Championship Series in Game 5, and if they didn't, that I would write my Editor's Page in a Boston accent. Well, I couldn't bare to make anyone read a page where every R was replaced with an H, so I decided that, instead, I'd use another vocal 'evice common to the city's Red Sox fans—I'd whine. For years, they've whined inces-santly about the injustice of their team's cursed past, so now it's my turn... And what bet-ser to whine about, in a music magazine, than the injustice of a band working their asses off, while their former frontman coasts on their coattails? As for Boston? I do have to give them at least some credit—While the Cardinals went and got Scott Stapp to perform, the Red Sox handed the mic to Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyier to perform the Game One "Star-Spangled Banner." That just about says it all...
Psychobabble out of the way, thanks for another great year of Metal Edge—Hope you find this month's Year In Review as interesting to read, as we did to write. Until next month, when we'll begin celebrating Metal Edge's PO1" Anniversary—Happy holidays, and best wishes for the new year...

Decent article, he could have cut out most of the baseball crap.

Trimontana
12-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Paul Gargano is kicking Stapp`s ass writting this article...i loved it!!!!
:D

RMadd
12-13-2004, 01:07 PM
zing!

Higher_Desire
12-13-2004, 01:44 PM
Cool. I'll have to pick up that issue. I already have their other two issues!

H-D :xmas:

Dogstar
12-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Hey, thanks for the article, Michael. Also, there is an Alter Bridge Q&A in the February issue of Revolver Magazine, and the guys talk about branching out music-wise, a lot of the same stuff we've been reading, but there is also a funny part, tongue-in-cheek it seems, about Brian Marshall supposedly kicking Scott S.'s ass. Now, before all the Stapp backers get on my case, it seems pretty tongue-in-cheek. That said, Brian did say, as he's said before, that he and Stapp didn't get along too well.

Q: Brian, Stapp told MTV that if you had continued in the band, he didn't know if you "would be here right now on this earth."

A: (Brian) Stapp and I clashed a lot. We never were friends. I was no angel out on the road, but he's definitely not the angel that he wants everybody to believe [he is].

Q: Did you two have fistfights?
A: (Brian) A few, yeah.

Q: Did you ever kick his ass?
A: (Brian) Yup.
(Mark): Don't say you kicked his ass. When they fought, there was a punch thrown by each one of them. Nobody kicked anyone's ass. They were always too drunk.

Steve
12-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Wow, very interesting article.

Torn Daredevil
12-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Wow, very telling. Exactly what pretty much everyone else seems to think of Stapp (except for those crazy-ass PBF-ers).

Tremonti IS a prolific song-writer, nice to finally hear that from a critic. The lyrics are the only weaker part of the AB album, but hopefully Myles will help him clean those up.

This article made me very happy. :-)

Trimontana
12-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Hey, thanks for the article, Michael. Also, there is an Alter Bridge Q&A in the February issue of Revolver Magazine, and the guys talk about branching out music-wise, a lot of the same stuff we've been reading, but there is also a funny part, tongue-in-cheek it seems, about Brian Marshall supposedly kicking Scott S.'s ass. Now, before all the Stapp backers get on my case, it seems pretty tongue-in-cheek. That said, Brian did say, as he's said before, that he and Stapp didn't get along too well.

Q: Brian, Stapp told MTV that if you had continued in the band, he didn't know if you "would be here right now on this earth."

A: (Brian) Stapp and I clashed a lot. We never were friends. I was no angel out on the road, but he's definitely not the angel that he wants everybody to believe [he is].

(Mark): Don't say you kicked his ass. When they fought, there was a punch thrown by each one of them. Nobody kicked anyone's ass. They were always too drunk.

Mark is such a mother....i love him...always putting peace in war..... :)

Trimontana
12-13-2004, 02:57 PM
Wow, very telling. Exactly what pretty much everyone else seems to think of Stapp (except for those crazy-ass PBF-ers).

Tremonti IS a prolific song-writer, nice to finally hear that from a critic. The lyrics are the only weaker part of the AB album, but hopefully Myles will help him clean those up.

This article made me very happy. :-)

Much agree with you what you said first....Stapp isn`t an angel.....just for that crazy, crazy ones.....hehehehehehe :D , i can see the bombs coming again....!!!!!!

Disillusioned
12-13-2004, 04:32 PM
Love the article - objective, honest, and informative...I didn't know about the interview with Stapp from the first album and what proceeded thereafter in denials.

fluttergirl
12-13-2004, 05:09 PM

i cant wait to see him with a kid, hes going to have *so* much fun, more parenting....
but it seems like he had enough practice in the past, and even now, lol.

titan9
12-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Damn, I'm so sick of all this Stapp bashing. Seriously, like I've said, I'm an equal fan of Stapp and Alter Bridge. But I'm tired of this. AB has already released an album. Stapp has not. You can't compare what the two are doing right now until Stapp releases his solo album. Even then, I'm not sure the comparison is fair.

As for butchering God Bless America, everyone has their opinion of it. I didn't think it was terrible, but it wasn't amazing either.

Dogstar
12-13-2004, 08:47 PM
The point is he hasn't released an album. I think that's what the writer was trying to say, that while AB has decided to move forward right away, Stapp hasn't.

Wylde-Tremonti
12-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Damn, I'm so sick of all this Stapp bashing. Seriously, like I've said, I'm an equal fan of Stapp and Alter Bridge. But I'm tired of this. AB has already released an album. Stapp has not. You can't compare what the two are doing right now until Stapp releases his solo album. Even then, I'm not sure the comparison is fair.

As for butchering God Bless America, everyone has their opinion of it. I didn't think it was terrible, but it wasn't amazing either.
The Fact that Stapp Doesn't Have an Album out says TONS... It Says Either:
1) He's Taking his Sweet Time
2) He's Stalling
3) He's Lost it
4) It's So Amazing That It will take as long as a new GNR Record to make...

My bet's On 1-3

titan9
12-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Yeah, but maybe that's not Stapp's fault?(about not releasing an album yet) He's still working on his album. He's had his choice as his backing band(The Tea Party) drop out of working on the project. To me, you can't compare the two until February/March or whenever Stapp releases his solo album. I'm just tired of seeing the negativity when it comes to Stapp.

Dogstar
12-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Well, the negativity will continue as long as he keeps performing poorly in public. I for one, thought the God Bless America song was done poorly, as I have said before. I haven't seen the NASCAR thing. And there are people who aren't happy that he's out there playing Creed songs without the rest of Creed.

titan9
12-13-2004, 09:06 PM
I understand that. But I don't see the point of bashing him here, in the AB forum. I think the focus in this forum should be on AB, not the former lead singer of Creed.

benkenobi
12-13-2004, 09:08 PM
Well, the negativity will continue as long as he keeps performing poorly in public. I for one, thought the God Bless America song was done poorly, as I have said before. I haven't seen the NASCAR thing. And there are people who aren't happy that he's out there playing Creed songs without the rest of Creed.

You beat me to it Dogstar. But if Stapp would stop ripping off Creed songs with backup bands that are making jokes out of the songs we grew to love from the original then maybe the negativity would subside somewhat. As long as he keeps promoting his solo career with Creed songs then I WON'T support. He should trust in his own NEW solo stuff that's going to appear on his album anyhow.

TeriB19
12-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Great article Michael, thanks. And Kerri, that Q&A had me laughing my butt off. Mark needs to come down here and make peacemaker with my kids (Damian and Satan for those of you who don't know). :flamer:

Dogstar
12-13-2004, 09:24 PM
I understand that. But I don't see the point of bashing him here, in the AB forum. I think the focus in this forum should be on AB, not the former lead singer of Creed.
The article also mentions AB, so that's probably why it was posted here. And this is also a Creed board, not just AB.

Teri, that's a great idea! I wonder what he would charge ;)

XenoN
12-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Both of those articles are nice. I enjoyed them. They got me thinking also, so here goes...

Here's my take on why it's justified to be negative about Stapp.

As others have said, he has one song. Just one. According to several, even from what Myles says about Mark, Mark is always playing and always writing stuff. Sure, after Weathered and all that, the guys took some time off.

What I'm getting to is that if Stapp was as focused on the music as Mark, he would have an album's worth of material. He could have lyrics and, with his money, could have a backup band write the music part of that and get it down. He obviously is content with the millions of dollars he has, and doesn't have to make music to get on with life.

I believe that he wrote that one song because someone asked him to do it. He probably though that since Mark and AB had material on the way, he should get his name out there. The reasoning for this would be this: If Stapp didn't release any material...

1) The fans that heard ABs stuff when it came out would wonder "What happened to Stapp?" Then they'd see that NOTHING was happening and realize that Stapp wasn't a true brain behind the music of Creed.
2) Due to number 1, Stapp would fade into the background. His only hope would be the small amount of Stapp enthusiasts left.

This is why I think Stapp wrote (or someone else wrote it for him) this song. His name would be on the board during the arrival of Alter Bridge. This was the only way Stapp would be able to survive.

It'll only work temporarily, because if he waits another few years, he'll go almost completely unnoticed. When Mark was interviewed about how he moved from Creed, he mentioned something to the effect of 'if we were to keep going with this, it'd take years for us to get another record out.'

With "Relearn Love" being the only thing Stapp has to show for his musical drive and work ethic for music, it looks like Stapp will soon fade.

titan9
12-13-2004, 09:52 PM
The article also mentions AB, so that's probably why it was posted here. And this is also a Creed board, not just AB.

True. ;)

RMadd
12-13-2004, 10:24 PM
I'd say all this "Stapp-bashing" is fairly warranted by now. I won't bother to enumerate the reasons, as they've already been listed, by both Dogstar and XenoN. IMHO, it's not really Stapp-bashing so much as it is being disappointed with what we've seen & heard from him in the past year.

titan9
12-13-2004, 10:35 PM
That's true, it's somewhat disappointing. I'm disappointed there hasn't been a solo album yet and disappointed with the lack of news about his solo album. And I do admit I'm disappointed he's playing Creed songs. If he played WAWO acoustically, you know just him playing and singing, it wouldn't bother me. But I still think you can't compare AB and Stapp right now. It isn't a fair comparison.

RMadd
12-13-2004, 10:47 PM
I, personally, am not comparing Stapp to AB as of yet. And I'll admit, the author of the article--though he admits to never having liked Creed and, esp, Stapp--does make some valid points. Stapp just seems to be all hella discombobulated right about now, with no real signs of improvement. It's like... it's like he's a pennypinching owner of an MLB franchise who wants to win the World Series... or something like that.

titan9
12-13-2004, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I know you aren't. But some are. Like I said, I'm an equal fan so if this was happening to AB, I'd be saying the same things. I agree, Stapp probably is a bit messed up right now, maybe still adjusting to the break up, maybe in a little bit of denial over it. But who knows. I don't know the guy personally, so I can't comment on him personally. But I do know his music and I can say I like Relearn Love and I'm pumped about his solo career. I think he sounded good vocally at the Nascar awards and sounded okay at the WS. My opinion, though.

Torn Daredevil
12-13-2004, 11:06 PM
He's just so full of shit I don't know what to believe anymore. I was OK with him until the Nascar performance, but that was total sacrilege... I really doubt his album will be out anytime next year, or that he actually has any material other than "Relearn Love," which was mediocre at best. Someone needs to reason with those fucking PBF nuts... LOL

At least we have Alter Bridge :-)

shiver
12-14-2004, 12:02 AM
You know, I was willing at some point to give Stapp a second chance. Everybody deserves a second chance. I think especially for me after hearing his comments about why he wrote Relearn Love, but I think after hearing stuff from AB and the article from the Tea Party (right?), it sounds like he is the same old Scott. He reminds me of a friend from high school, who was the kind of person that, depending on who was around, he was different. If he was around Christians, he was a Christian, if he was around guys who liked to drink and party, he liked to drink and party. But, thats another subject, I guess, and I think it is true that Stapp is riding the Creed wave. But hey, somebody has got to promote the greatest hits album right? Thats what it is. Too bad I can now sing better than him.

tremonti4life04
12-14-2004, 12:03 AM
Actually, i believe that stapp is currently WALKING, YES WALKING to Mount Siani in Egypt to write his next record, man will it be a doozie, ill tell ya what. There on that mountain, a flaming bush will appear....and write his lyrics for him.

Chase
12-14-2004, 01:20 AM
From here on out, I'm not going to say that I'm a Stapp fan because you guys will burn me at the stake! lol j/k It was an honest article... but I still feel sorry for how much negativity is projected towards Stapp. Even his own fans... the people that used to defend him have turned on him. He needs to come back with an album that really shoves all of this negativity back into everyone's faces... he did that well while in Creed... let's see if he can do that by himself.

Dogstar
12-14-2004, 01:47 AM
Well, I have not turned on him, but I have been disappointed with his recent performances and with Relearn Love. It doesn't mean I don't support him. There's a difference. I just hope he does silence all the negativity with a kick-ass album, but if his recent activity is any indication, I'm not that hopeful. I'll wait and see, though.

Wylde-Tremonti
12-14-2004, 08:51 AM
Actually, i believe that stapp is currently WALKING, YES WALKING to Mount Siani in Egypt to write his next record, man will it be a doozie, ill tell ya what. There on that mountain, a flaming bush will appear....and write his lyrics for him.
Dude, That is not Fucking Called For...
I respect Stapp Very Much for his Beliefs. His Current state of Talent may be Lacking... but once you poke fun at his faith... that's just fucking childish.

titan9
12-14-2004, 09:15 AM
Am I wrong for actually finding that a bit funny?(I'm a Christian):D

Ann Allusion
12-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Read the article on another bb and for my own reasons, it had me LMAO...just seems that everybody has to have an opinion about stapp...doesn't it?

reguarding this comment:

but I still feel sorry for how much negativity is projected towards Stapp. Even his own fans... the people that used to defend him have turned on him.

The negativity towards stapp is NOT by his fans...as i see it...it is by people that as long as they get what they expect from someone, they are happy as clams...but let that person fall or not live up to their expectations...and we get what we have been getting...

negativity has it's place and that is to balance the positive...and vise versa...but this in not balancing anything...from my observations it has become pure "dislike" for another human being that a bunch of people speculate about...or accept second hand information about....

from my observations...second hand info can be opinionated depending on the source and their relationship with the person or information they are discussing or relaying at the time...be it in an article...or verbally from one person to the next.

those that really get it are the ones that are willing to let everyone find their own level...whether they agree with it or not...and can continue to enjoy whatever is being offered without all the negativity...

Believe me....NO ONE has turned their backs on stapp that really attempted to understand or continues to...

peace out... :cool:

Steve
12-14-2004, 10:44 AM
^^^

See this was my whole point about Stapp being held up on a pedestal in the Stapp Nascar thread. You are making Stapp fans look bad IMO.

NO ONE has turned their backs on stapp that really attempted to understand or continues to...

Just because I say I have lost respect for Stapp as a person does not mean I am not a fan or make me less of a fan. There's making a distinction between the person and the music. The way you talk, there is no distinction.

tremonti4life04
12-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Doesn't anyone have a sense of humor? I do not hate stapp, i like him, but he's been acting like a freakin weirdo lately. You have to remember, stapp was with creed and i love creed, otherwise i wouldnt have signed up for this forum, but sometimes I feel that there are certain things he does that needs picking on, believe me, if i really disliked him and disrespected his religion, i wouldnt have posted anything like that. Yes, I am agnostic, i dont believe in organized religion, there, im a "sinner" so to speak, call me what you will. I just like to pick on people who do stupid stuff. I've seen other people on here who have picked on stapp or alter bridge, or whomever, and they dont get fuckin roasted like i do.

SCOTTSMYMAN
12-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Torn Daredevil could you please refrain from making negative commits about PBF! You can have any opinion about Stapp that you want and that's ok but don't judge other people harshly just because thay don't share you opinion. I happen to be on that BB and they are a great bunch of people over there.

tremonti4life04
12-14-2004, 10:54 AM
And as for the "poking fun at his faith thing" Wylde-Tremonti, i wasnt picking on his faith, i was busting his balls about his writing process, because of how he always said My Own Prison came to him in his dreams and all that stuff, i DID NOT, in any way, mean to bust christianity, i may not be christian, and there are a lot of things about it that dont suit me, but i do not discriminate.

Ann Allusion
12-14-2004, 11:56 AM
There's making a distinction between the person and the music. The way you talk, there is no distinction.

well maybe this will clear a few things up then...for me THERE IS NO DISTINCTION between the person and their music/lyrics...

someone that is creative is putting themselves into their creation...be it music, lyrics, poetry, etc...whether they are there at the moment they write it...or whether it is a place they WANT to be, sometime down the road...they are the creation and the creation is in them.

when such things are done without that PERSONAL connection...then it is just superficial and it shows...stapps lyrical work is way too passionate not to have been created without the connection i am talking about.

that is part of "getting it"...;)

this is, of course how i see it...and i realize that others out there see it differently...again...believe what you will...each of us will see it in our own ways...that's what diversity is about.

Steve
12-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Ann, first of all I know you are an intelligent person, as are most who are on the Internet. And even though in my posts I am referring to your words, I am talking about Stapp fans (or whatever topic) in general, not specifically you. I realize you see things your way, but most don't. I still don't agree with your view, but irregardless of that there still is a difference between the music and the person. What if Scott Stapp was a convicted rapist or murderer? Would you still respect him as a person? My point is that you don't have to like the person as a whole to like and respect the music he/she makes.

Torn Daredevil
12-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Torn Daredevil could you please refrain from making negative commits about PBF! You can have any opinion about Stapp that you want and that's ok but don't judge other people harshly just because thay don't share you opinion. I happen to be on that BB and they are a great bunch of people over there.They may be "great people," but they are crazy. They worship Stapp as some sort of god, and that really disturbs me. I just think some of them only like him because they are physically attracted to him, or they are just mentally unstable.

IMO :D

titan9
12-14-2004, 04:50 PM
That's true, Steve. I can't comment on Stapp from a personal standpoint but can comment on him when it comes to music. I support him as a musician, but not necessarily as a person because I don't know him personally.

titan9
12-14-2004, 04:51 PM
They may be "great people," but they are crazy. They worship Stapp as some sort of god, and that really disturbs me. I just think some of them only like him because they are physically attracted to him, or they are just mentally unstable.

And I think you could probably make the same argument about some AB fans. Every artist has a fan that is extremely obsessed. Stapp and AB are no different.

SCOTTSMYMAN
12-14-2004, 04:54 PM
They may be "great people," but they are crazy. They worship Stapp as some sort of god, and that really disturbs me. I just think some of them only like him because they are physically attracted to him, or they are just mentally unstable.

Well, unless you personally know all those people than you have no right to call them unstable. My husband is also a member over there and from experience know it's not because he's attracted to Stapp. It's just a website where we can talk about Stapp without getting assholes like you who think we are all "crazy" or "obsessed". I don't think any of us have compared Scott to a GOD either.

We don't judge you or say shit about you so why don't you keep your opinion about people you don't even know or associate with to yourself.

Chase
12-14-2004, 04:56 PM
I don't by any means worship Stapp. I like him and Tremonti both equally and always have. It just seems like everyone's kicking Stapp while he's down. Everyone has a right to their opinions... but I think we should at least give him a chance to release an album before we poke fun at everything he does. That's my opinion. I think they need to start putting some new music on his site though... and he needs to stay away from the Top 40 radio crap. He's at his best when he's pissed and aggressive and I think if he releases music that is similar to the "My Own Prison" stuff, he'll re-establish himself as a valid rock musician.

Torn Daredevil
12-14-2004, 05:10 PM
Well, unless you personally know all those people than you have no right to call them unstable. My husband is also a member over there and from experience know it's not because he's attracted to Stapp. It's just a website where we can talk about Stapp without getting assholes like you who think we are all "crazy" or "obsessed". I don't think any of us have compared Scott to a GOD either.

We don't judge you or say shit about you so why don't you keep your opinion about people you don't even know or associate with to yourself.My point is that everyone over there goes nuts when a new picture of Scott is posted. Explain that. Also, after the World Series everyone there was like "oh, that was the best version of GBA ever! His voice was perfect!" I just think that is going off the deep end a bit. In my opinion, and many other people's opinion, many of you place Stapp on a pedastal above everything, and treat the man as if "his shit don't stink." I never claimed anyone said he was God, but many act as if he's some type of god or idol.

You don't have to like my opinion. ;)

titan9
12-14-2004, 06:50 PM
I don't think they all act like that. I think it's awesome there's a fan site out there that is so dedicated to Scott and his career. I think it's alright to place him on a pedastal as a musician, but not as a person because we don't know him. I don't think he should be bashed as a person, either, because, again, we don't know him. We only know what we hear/see in the news. I only try to judge him as a musician, not as a person. I hope everyone else does the same.

Trimontana
12-14-2004, 06:59 PM
I think it's awesome there's a fan site out there that is so dedicated to Scott and his career.

Maybe it`s so fabolous because you belong to that fan site????
Just asking!!!! :confused:

tremonti4life04
12-14-2004, 08:02 PM
You know, i totally agree with everything that guy from metal edge had to say, because i, for one, no longer have any respect for the post-creed stapp. I think that hes doing the wrong thing by trying to keep himself alive with creed songs. As a musician who is very close to getting into the big music scene, i can tell you that it is disrespectful to do that. I had a band a while ago called Black September. I had songs written with them. Now that i have a new band, i wouldnt even think of using those old songs even tho they were pretty good. I just think what stapp is doing by goin out with new band members and playing creed songs at live radio interviews is wrong, and he should let it go. Think about this for a minute, what if he were to take old creed songs and put them to new music, or remix them, how would you all feel then? By doing this with a new band, thats basically what he is doing.

tremonti4life04
12-14-2004, 08:08 PM
until stapp puts out a new album, i have no respect for him...:/

Dogstar
12-14-2004, 08:12 PM
The negativity towards stapp is NOT by his fans...as i see it...it is by people that as long as they get what they expect from someone, they are happy as clams...but let that person fall or not live up to their expectations...and we get what we have been getting...

This has nothing to do with him as a person. It has everything to do with the quality of his performances. So, if I find I am not satisfied with quality of his performances, I am spewing negativity? I don't think so. It's called critical thinking and judging...his performance, NOT his actions as a person.

negativity has it's place and that is to balance the positive...and vise versa...but this in not balancing anything...from my observations it has become pure "dislike" for another human being that a bunch of people speculate about
Well, there are quite a bunch of us who are looking at this purely as a performance issue. Again, it has nothing to do with my opinion of him as a person, since I really don't him personally, nor do you.

from my observations...second hand info can be opinionated depending on the source and their relationship with the person or information they are discussing or relaying at the time...be it in an article...or verbally from one person to the next.
Michael typed in what was in the article; I typed in part of what I found in a Q&A in a magazine that I happened to find humorous. This is a message board for members of Alter Bridge and Scott Stapp. When information, opinion or otherwise, appears in print or online, I would venture to guess that most of the people who are members here would be interested in reading it, regardless of the slant intended or unintended by the person or persons who provided the information.

titan9
12-14-2004, 08:45 PM
Maybe it`s so fabolous because you belong to that fan site????
Just asking!!!! :confused:

Actually, I don't belong to that fan site. I've been there a few times and the layout is awesome. I love the AB fan site(s) as well(remember, I'm an equal fan of Stapp and AB) Just like I love the 12 Stones fan site I help run. Fan sites are awesome to me because anyone who takes that time to run the fan site is really passionate about the artist's music.

As far as Stapp playing Creed songs, I've said I'm against it. I wouldn't really have a problem if he only did an acoustic(with him playing) performance of WAWO, but I do not like the fact he's got a backing band playing Creed's biggest hit.(imo)

Ann Allusion
12-14-2004, 09:21 PM
thank you Dogstar and Steve for your replies to my post...my opinions are like your's... my own...and for all the years i have posted, i claim nothing more than anyone else that posts does...just giving my observations from my point of view...

apparently because of the medium we make these statements in, it seems that saying what one means, or wishes to relate to a subject remains confusing... as those that read it feel it must be applied in some manner or form other than it's intended statement.

Something i am aware of is that no matter what some people say...it will never be what some people wish to read or hear...but there is no defense to what we call "just opinions"...for that is all they are....personal views, which will vary with every person...

as for enjoying reading such informational posts...I'll agree, they are of interest to many, and i have no problem with that...what i posted was not aimed at Michael, or anyone else that posts such information...at one point i have been one of those people posting such information...altho i doubt anyone remembers or really cared.

what does become bothersome is when the negativity starts towards someone as a human being...as you say i don't know stapp anymore than anyone else that posts...but it does appear that a lot of the comments...NOT ALL...are aimed at him as a person (since most people see the person separate from the lyrics/music)..not just his recent/past performances...

i fear that the idea i was trying to illustrate was totally missed, so i will restate, as that was the crux of my post to begin with...the lyrics/music for ME (maybe no one else) are not a "separate entity" from the person that creates them....for the person that creates the lyrics/music puts the person that they are or wish to be into their writing/composition...they are creating from a personal level...not just a technical level if they really care about their "gift"...an example musically would be Beethoven...he was his music and his music was him...artistically, for me it was Salvadore Dali...and lyrically scott stapp (these examples are just to make a point...i do have interests in other artists/musicians/lyrcists)...so when one dislikes the art...they are saying they dislike the artist...that is what it says to me.

and again as i said previously...this is how I feel...not saying it has to be right for anyone else, nor am i trying to make/tell anyone else to believe it...my post was just a statement of my thoughts on the matter, nothing aimed at anyone inparticular.

titan9
12-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Ann, I agree with the part about "for the person that creates the lyrics/music puts the person that they are or wish to be into their writing/composition". I'm a songwriter(well lyrics anyway) and when I write, I write about my feelings. I basically use it as a way to write how I feel, you know, a journal of sorts. Maybe this is the way Stapp writes and if it is, then I completely agree with you about the songwriter/musician and person being one in the same.

You're write, no matter what you post(and this goes for any forum) there will be someone who does not want to hear it and will probably bash you for saying it. Not everyone is respectful of someone else's opinion.

Dogstar
12-14-2004, 09:48 PM
my post was just a statement of my thoughts on the matter, nothing aimed at anyone inparticular.
As was mine. It's a discussion board, so we're discussing, and disagreeing. I write, too, and I put my heart and soul into it as well, but it does not mean that it will be pleasing to everyone. If someone doesn't enjoy my words, I don't look at it a personal attack. I look at it as someone who just might not happen to enjoy my version of expression. We are all different and have different tastes.

titan9
12-14-2004, 09:54 PM
As was mine. It's a discussion board, so we're discussing, and disagreeing. I write, too, and I put my heart and soul into it as well, but it does not mean that it will be pleasing to everyone. If someone doesn't enjoy my words, I don't look at it a personal attack. I look at it as someone who just might not happen to enjoy my version of expression. We are all different and have different tastes.

Yup, so I think we need to just agree to disagree. Like you said, we've all got different opinions and different tastes.

shiver
12-14-2004, 11:13 PM
My bologna has a first name, it's H-O-M-E-R. My Bolgna has a second name it's H-O-M-E-R. Doh!

titan9
12-14-2004, 11:16 PM
Lol:lolsign:

XenoN
12-15-2004, 12:54 AM
I'll have to agree with what most of you are saying about the person-to-musician thing.

I've lost a lot of respect for him as a musician because, without Creed, Scott seems like a lost puppy. I can understand it's hard, but he's simply not rebounding from this thing like Mark and Flip.

I was a diehard Creed fan - the diehard Creed fan who went to high school with a bunch of people that wore their "Even Jesus Hates Creed" T-shirts with my Creed shirts on, getting looks from the people that hated Creed. I didn't care.

This kind of thing is disappointing to me. I loved Creed, and I still pop in Human Clay on a weekly basis. I'm an AB fan now, too, but there's still that 1/4 of Creed that Stapp was just washing away.

I lost a lot of respect for him when I kept hearing about all of these weird religious gestures that he made on stage and stuff, and now with this PBF site... People are putting him on a pedestal, when as a musician, he's doing nothing. It's just frustrating for me to see.

I am a fan of Creed, and I am a fan of Alter Bridge, but I'm finding it hard to be a fan of Scott Stapp right now. Let go of the past and concentrate on the present and future dude. You're being shown up.

If he wants to be regarded as a musician, the man needs to start making some damn music, because of with his dormancy, it's looking as if Creed was his only way into music. It seems as if he has no way to do this without someone leading him along the way.

titan9
12-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Well, I think we can't really judge him as a musician until we've heard his solo album. We've heard one solo song from him(and that was a Christian song) and a couple Creed songs. That's it. Meanwhile, we've heard one full album from Alter Bridge and some of us have heard some unreleased songs. So, at the moment, it's not a fair comparison to me. Scott was a songwriter, he didn't write the music. Mark wrote some lyrics and most of the music. Scott has to wait for a backing band to probably help him create the music for his lyrics and his solo career, meanwhile Mark's already came out with a new CD and has already(along with the rest of Alter Bridge) established himself after Creed. Stapp hasn't because he hasn't come out with his new stuff yet. My point is that I'm not going to judge the post-Creed Stapp as a musician until his solo album has come out. Until then, I'm still one of his fans. And we haven't heard new music(beyond Relearn Love) from him because his solo CD hasn't come out yet. I don't know why it hasn't, maybe that's Scott's fault, maybe it's Wind Up's, but it hasn't come out. So, until it comes out, anytime we hear Scott singing he'll be singing Relearn Love or a Creed song. That's what we just have to get used to, like it or not(personally I don't like the idea of him singing Creed songs, but I'm resigned to the fact)

As for PBF, ummm, I'm sure there are AB fan sites that place them on pedastals. It doesn't just happen to Scott. It happens to almost every artist out there that is popular. And not everyone at PBF puts him on a pedastal. I hate when people judge something just based on one person or thing. Like if I were to meet one bad Christian, would I be justified in saying that all Christians are bad? No. That's unfair to judge the whole religion of Christianity based on one person. The same thing applies here. I think alot of people are unfairly judging PBF as just being a Stapp fan site that worships Stapp as if he were God. I do not think this is the case, and if you do, then realize there are AB fan sites like this. It's not just Stapp fan sites. If you come back and say "oh there aren't AB fan sites like this, but PBF does worship Stapp" then you're being a hypocrite.

tremonti4life04
12-15-2004, 04:14 PM
No offense to any PBF'rs, but that place is like a cult, i went there to check it out, signed up, and everyone had stapp pictures all over their signatures, most of the smileys used were animated stapp clips, like, actual clips of him. I was kinda freaked out by it, and there was some AB bashing going on over there, so dont let those hypocrits fool you. It made me sick to see that after everything people were saying, including Tea Party, on how twisted stapp is, they still hold him as their golden god.

Torn Daredevil
12-15-2004, 05:33 PM
No offense to any PBF'rs, but that place is like a cult, i went there to check it out, signed up, and everyone had stapp pictures all over their signatures, most of the smileys used were animated stapp clips, like, actual clips of him. I was kinda freaked out by it, and there was some AB bashing going on over there, so dont let those hypocrits fool you. It made me sick to see that after everything people were saying, including Tea Party, on how twisted stapp is, they still hold him as their golden god.Exactly. That place is FREAKY!

XenoN
12-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Yeah I've been there once myself. A tad on the strange side. Also, they don't really focus on the musical side of Stapp. The fact that he passively makes music on occasion is a sidenote over there. It's just "All Hail Stapp".

Like I guess if Myles butchered GBA, I'd be able to admit it and still respect him musically.

Trimontana
12-15-2004, 05:53 PM
As for PBF, ummm, I'm sure there are AB fan sites that place them on pedastals. It doesn't just happen to Scott. It happens to almost every artist out there that is popular. And not everyone at PBF puts him on a pedastal. I hate when people judge something just based on one person or thing.

People at PBF don´t like Stapp for his music talent, all the opposite, they like Stapp as a phisic (body, meat, as you want it to call it). You are not going to find a AB where fans like them in that way or putting them on a pedastal. PBF is a cult board....they are obssesed with Stapp.

tremonti4life04
12-15-2004, 06:03 PM
thank you for backing me on that one! i thought for sure i was going to get grilled

and the craziest thing about PBF, their admin tried to tell me that there is no AB bashing, yet i witnessed it with my own eyes, and she was like "oh, thats just the resident joker. PM me if you want to know what i said to her

Trimontana
12-15-2004, 06:33 PM
thank you for backing me on that one! i thought for sure i was going to get grilled

and the craziest thing about PBF, their admin tried to tell me that there is no AB bashing, yet i witnessed it with my own eyes, and she was like "oh, thats just the resident joker. PM me if you want to know what i said to her

Man, you are the chick who posted the thread called "Whass up". I posted in your deffense on page 3. You have "bollocks"...well done... :D

tremonti4life04
12-15-2004, 06:36 PM
actually, i would be the chick who posted....if i was a chick, lol
yea, im the one who posted that, and reamed them out, and for some reason...passionbreedsfollowers cant be found, i cant get in, i think i may have been expelled, if you'll excuse me, i think ill go cry myself to sleep. LMAO.

Trimontana
12-15-2004, 06:38 PM
I am having the same problem.....my laptop says the web can not be found!!!!
Such a shame!!!!Hehehehehehehe :D . Have a nice cry sweety!!!!Hehehehe :D ;)

tremonti4life04
12-15-2004, 06:50 PM
actually, i think i have a good idea why PBF is shut down....Steve isnt the admin, so theres gotta be a lot of downtime! U da man steve

tremonti4life04
12-15-2004, 06:52 PM
it'll be a niecr cry if you console me tremontana ;)

Trimontana
12-15-2004, 06:59 PM
it'll be a niecr cry if you console me tremontana ;)

I will.....i have been at PBF now....they have a new topic about the post Michael posted here with Mark quote...they are bashing Mark so much!!!! I feel like post there....but if i do.... i will be tough....maybe i will be loose the war but i will died deffending Tremo....such a honor....

What you think???? :rolleyes:

tremonti4life04
12-15-2004, 07:17 PM
i just went over and let loose on them in that forum about mark that michael posted. we'll see what happens

Trimontana
12-15-2004, 07:23 PM
i am goign to check it out right now!!!!!
I see you in a bit......!!!!

tremonti4life04
12-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Well, apparently they are all ignorant braindead people who cant see outside of their little box. I should be getting banned from PBF in a short amount of time.

Trimontana
12-15-2004, 08:27 PM
you got a PM

Ann Allusion
12-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Tremontana and Tremonti4life04...think you guys can get anymore childish?

I thought it was you over there and a word of advise...if you think what you are reading is "bashing" you are sorely mistaken...if anyone is saying anything out of line it is the ones going over there DELIBERTY to push their point.

NO ONE from PBF is telling you what to think...but you, T4life04 are definitely having a problem with what they wish to say.

What is yours and others facination with what goes on at PBF...it is a private bb and signing up just so you can cause trouble on their bb is pretty low...ya know?

People at PBF don´t like Stapp for his music talent, all the opposite, they like Stapp as a phisic (body, meat, as you want it to call it). You are not going to find a AB where fans like them in that way or putting them on a pedastal. PBF is a cult board....they are obssesed with Stapp.

:eek: are you serious Tremontana...:laugh:...from what i know of them, and i've talked with many of them online for quite a while now...the concept in that reply is like a blind man playing baseball...you are so far off target, if ya ain't careful you'll trip over your own feet...believe what you will, because others do as well...but there are those of us that know how far off base that was...

Trimontana
12-15-2004, 08:38 PM
I am not trying anything...and i don´t want to change anyone else mind thinking...u know???
I am not trip over my feet. I didn´t do anything wrong. I am not going to waist my time just for one person ,in this case the main reason is Stapp, whos full of money and have a great life and feel like a misserable for him. I don´t want to know about PFB no more....i have what i called BIG PROBLEMS in my life to waist my time and keep busy in.
And ANN ILLUsion, i don´t have a problem with you, so leave it like that. I don´t want to argue with someone of this site.

Ann Allusion
12-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Nor am i trying to argue with you, Tremontana...just making a comment on your post...and basically trying to do it in a somewhat humorus way... ;)

I hope whatever big problems you are having in your life soon work out... :)

Torn Daredevil
12-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Well, apparently they are all ignorant braindead people who cant see outside of their little box. I should be getting banned from PBF in a short amount of time.Ha, I got banned last week. They really are closed-minded idol-worshipping freaks!!! :D

Dogstar
12-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Ok, people, can we dispense with stuff from other boards? We like to keep that stuff out of here because the administrator of this board respects the fact that other people are taking the time to provide fans with a forum, as he is doing. People have made their points quite clearly, and really, what is coming now is repetition, and as one board member has said, repetition is evil. Let's calm down on the name-calling, too. Thank you all for your cooperation :D.

Steve
12-15-2004, 11:05 PM
Gees, I don't browse the forums all afternoon and look what happens...

Ok people, enough of the PBF stuff. If you don't like PBF or any other fan site, keep it to yourself. If you want to rant about another site, do so via PM, e-mail, or make your own site to rant about it. This is not the place to rant about fellow Creed related web sites and communities.

Torn Daredevil
12-16-2004, 01:54 AM
If you want to rant about another site, do so via PM, e-mail, or make your own site to rant about it.I definitely will. Thanks! :D

creeddane
12-16-2004, 03:39 AM
WELL
another thread that got fucked up, because of certain members disagreements....

:D

creeddane
12-16-2004, 03:45 AM
and for the record
these discussions are pretty weathered, so to speak.
People is just nagging about who's god who's not...........................
Nothing new has come up in the last 100 threads/discussions about such subject, whatever it starts out with.

Im sure even Mark and Stapp would laugh equally hard if they read them.... :D

creeddane
12-16-2004, 04:50 AM
i think i posted these lyrics before:

I am right you are wrong
I am right you are wrong
I am right you are wrong
No one's right and no one's wrong
In America

Is This The End?

I think not

titan9
12-16-2004, 10:36 AM
This is not the place to rant about fellow Creed related web sites and communities.

Yup, I completely agree with that, Steve. I only defended PBF(and I've never been to their forums) because I respect the fact that they are providing an excellent Stapp fan site, even if some members might be obsessive(and I can't really say they are over there because I have never had a membership over there) Like I said, I do not believe that Stapp is the only one who has "obsessive" fans. Any artist that is popular has those kinds of fans. AB does, that I am sure of.

I'm done with defending PBF now, like Steve said, there shouldn't be PBF bashing going on here anyway. Let's focus on AB and Stapp, not on the fan sites. :)

Steve
12-16-2004, 10:57 AM
Let's focus on AB and Stapp, not on the fan sites. :)

.... or the people on the fan sites. :)

titan9
12-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Yup. This thread went from being about AB and Stapp, to being about Stapp then to being about PBF. We gotta get it back on track and focus on AB and Stapp, not on fan sites.