Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
A Guitar Hero was Murdered last nite... Dec 8th [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : A Guitar Hero was Murdered last nite... Dec 8th

Dogstar
12-09-2004, 03:09 AM
This is just awful. I can't believe it. WTF is wrong with people???

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2004/local/12/08/columbus_shooting_ap.html

A man opened fire in a crowded nightclub during a rock concert Wednesday night, killing at least four people and wounding at least two others before he was shot to death by police, authorities said.

A man walked on stage during the show at the Alrosa Villa and opened fire on band members, killing four people and wounding at least two others, said Columbus police spokesman Sgt. Brent Mull, adding that more people could have been shot and left the scene before authorities arrived.

Mull said a police officer shot and killed the gunman. It wasn't immediately clear whether the officer was already at the show or had responded to an emergency call.

Columbus resident Chris Couch, 22, said the shooting occurred about 30 seconds after the show's headliner, Damageplan, had begun playing.

Couch, who was standing about 30 feet away from the stage, noticed a man wearing a hooded sweatshirt and hockey jersey walk up to the stage, followed by a bouncer and another club employee.

The man in the jersey climbed onto the stage, started yelling and shot the guitarist five or six times at close range, Couch said.

Couch said the gunman also shot a bouncer who pulled him off the musician.

At that point, Couch and a friend headed for the exit along with a tide of hundreds of fans.

It appeared the gunman purposely sought out the guitarist, whom Couch identified as a performer who went by the name "Dimebag Darrel."

Authorities didn't immediately provide the identities of the victims.

"It was definitely a grudge. It was against something," Couch said.

Amanda Stankus, 19, who attended the show with Couch, said she initially thought the shooting was part of the show.

"I just saw the guitarist fall down, and we decided to get out of there," said Stankus, of Columbus.

Stankus said she didn't see any metal detectors or uniformed police officers at the venue and that she wasn't searched or frisked on her way in.

Trimontana
12-09-2004, 05:19 AM
Those days nothing really amazes me....ordinary people walking on the streets are mad....i have customers in my work who are completly crazy.
Thatīs horrible what this guy did. I canīt find any justification for what he did. Not even problems....all of us got problems and we donīt kill anyone.

titan9
12-09-2004, 09:38 AM
That's completely awful! Where was the security? The metal detectors? Something needs to change. R.I.P. Dimebag.:(

JulieCitySlicker
12-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Thats really sad! This world sucks ass sometimes :(
People just don't care anymore.

AndrewFromABRox
12-09-2004, 12:59 PM
This is absolutely huge in the guitar community, freakin sucks man, one of the greatest metal guitarists of all time shot, why all the greats die?

Trimontana
12-09-2004, 01:27 PM
This is absolutely huge in the guitar community, freakin sucks man, one of the greatest metal guitarists of all time shot, why all the greats die?

Donīt say that.....brings bad luck.....fingers crossed.....

Higher_Desire
12-09-2004, 03:36 PM
That is so sad. :( This was a such a shock. I don't know what to think. Goodbye, Dimebag. RIP.

H-D :pimp:

Wylde-Tremonti
12-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Last nite one of my heros and a Guitarist voted "Metal Guitarist of the year" many a time by Guitar World was Shot and Killed last nite....

At Least 3 Dead, 4 Wounded In Nightclub Shooting
Witnesses: Alleged Gunman Went Onto Stage, Fired Shots

POSTED: 10:32 pm EST December 8, 2004
UPDATED: 11:36 pm EST December 8, 2004

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- At least three people died and four others were wounded after a shooting at a Columbus nightclub on Wednesday night, NBC 4 reported.

The shooting took place shortly after 10 p.m. at Alrosa Villa, located at 5055 Sinclair Road.

Two members of the heavy metal band Damageplan were reportedly shot and killed, including Dimebag Darrell, formerly with the band Pantera, NBC 4's David Wayne reported. The alleged gunman also died at the scene, Wayne reported.

Shortly after the band began playing its first song, a man reportedly ran onto the stage and began shooting, according to a witness who identified himself as Sean. Some members of the audience reportedly thought the man running onto the stage with a gun was part of the band's act, NBC 4's Erin Tate reported.

Witnesses said that several shots were fired at the band. Witnesses said that a bouncer at the club tackled the alleged gunman before that person was shot and killed. It was unclear as to whom shot the alleged gunman.

Alrosa Villa is a popular north Columbus nightspot for young adults, featuring rock and heavy metal bands, NBC 4 reported.

According to the band's Web site, Damageplan was touring nationally. It performed in Buffalo, N.Y., on Tuesday night and had a concert scheduled in Flint, Mich., on Thursday.

Damageplan featured former Pantera artists Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul. The pair were joined by vocalist Patrick Lachman and bassist Bobzilla, according to their Web site.

luvscott4ever
12-09-2004, 05:25 PM
When I was setting my alarm clock for bed last night, I had heard something about the shooting. Didn't know all the details til I got up this morning!! This soooo fricken BLOWS!!! And to think I just saw this man (Dimebag) play 3 weeks ago!! He was flippen AWESOME!!! The rock world has lost a legend!! :(

Wylde-Tremonti
12-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Here are a few pics or our Beloved friend "DimeBag" Darrell Abbott
... R.I.P.

Ann Allusion
12-09-2004, 06:25 PM
I've been checking out the lyrics from Damage Plan...and found that they are most interesting. I've read that they were beginning the first song of their set for the evening when all this happened...below are a few words from the song they had started playing..."Breathing New Life"...that struck me...i am also posting all the lyrics for the song "Blink Of An Eye"...both seemed quite prophetic in their own ways...

i realize that if we look hard enough we can see what we choose to see...but as a writer, i also realize sometimes we are spoken to through the words we/or others may write...

my prayers are with the famlies of everyone involved...

"Breathing New Life"

DON'T YOU SEE IT COMING
WHEN YOU'VE CAUGHT ON, IT'S TOO LATE
WHEN IT HITS, DON'T FORGET WHO I AM
DON'T FORGET THIS FACE

"Blink Of An Eye"

SEEMS LIKE ONLY YESTERDAY THE DREAM
BECAME SO CLEAR
ALL WAS POSSIBLE AND GOD IT FELT SO NEAR
SO I SUFFERED AND I BLED, I TRULY DID BELIVE
YEARS HAVE COME AND GONE, BUT JUST WHERE
HAS IT BROUGHT ME

IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE
SEEMS LIKE MINUTES AS THE YEARS FLY BY
IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE
AFRAID TO STOP BECAUSE I CAN'T STOP TIME

STROBING SNAPSHOTS OF MY PAST BECOME A
BLURRING FLASH
JUST ONE THING CAN MAKE IT ALL COME FLOODING
BACK

IF I'D STOPPED JUST ONCE TO LOOK BACK MAYBE I
WOULD SEE
JUST HOW FAR I'VE COME, BUT IT TOOK IT'S TOLL
ON ME

IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE
IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE
AFRAID TO STOP BECAUSE I CAN'T STOP TIME

"Blink Of An Eye"

THAT'S JUST HOW FAST YOUR LIFE CAN CHANGE
IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE, EVERYTHINGS ERASED

IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE
IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE
DON'T EVER STOP BECAUSE YOU CAN'T STOP TIME

another song to check out is "Blunt Force Trauma"

If you would like to read all of the lyrics on their album "NEW FOUND POWER" the link is below...

http://www.lyred.com/lyrics/DamagePlan/New+Found+Power/

Mulletman
12-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Merging Matt's and Ker's threads. If anyone sees any problems, hit me.

hayley
12-09-2004, 06:43 PM
I heard this on the radio just about 10 minutes ago. :( So sad, R.I.P

Dogstar
12-09-2004, 08:13 PM
When I was setting my alarm clock for bed last night, I had heard something about the shooting. Didn't know all the details til I got up this morning!! This soooo fricken BLOWS!!! And to think I just saw this man (Dimebag) play 3 weeks ago!! He was flippen AWESOME!!! The rock world has lost a legend!! :(
I know. I still can't believe it. And right around the same time that Lennon was shot back in 1980. It's bringing all that sadness right back. I'm keeping the families and friends of those killed in my thoughts and prayers. R.I.P., Dimebag, you will be missed :(

Dani
12-09-2004, 08:39 PM
This is so awful. I heard it on the radio this morning on the way to work. R.I.P Dimebag :(

AndrewFromABRox
12-09-2004, 10:16 PM
My radio station had a moment of silence for darrell and played save me by damageplan, i thought was awesome.

shiver
12-10-2004, 12:18 AM
I heard news a couple times earlier in the day about a band, and people being shot and killed. Unfortunatly, I was listening to a country radio station, so they didn't go too much into detail. I got home and got on the net, and there it was. I couldn't believe it. I'm not a fan, I believe the man was an incredibly skilled guitarist, but it was shocking. I called a friend and asked him his thoughts. All he could say was that it was unbelievable. I said this is like what happened to Lennon. Some crazy fan, distraught about something, taking whatever problem they have, out on innocent people. Everybody needs to remember all the families involved, and pray for their hurting souls.

Dogstar
12-10-2004, 12:55 AM
Right on, shiver. I hardly listen to the radio anymore, but on the way home from work, I put on WMMR in Philly, in the hopes they might have some more info on the whole mess and they were playing the second of two Pantera songs. They were having a radiothon to raise money for food kitchens in Philly and such and it was a request-athon type thing. So who calls in but David Draiman from Disturbed. He talked about Dimebag and said the sweetest things about him. He talked about what a big heart Dimebag had and how he wasn't happy unless everyone around him was having as good a time as he was. He loved life, people and playing the guitar. You could tell Draiman was really upset. It made me cry, listening to him.

Sincirr
12-10-2004, 12:59 AM
One time when he was playing, he kept turning his back to the audience when he was soloing. I got his attentino and asked him to turn around so we could watch. He seemed like a pretty humble guy, but he did it. I looked him in the eye and said thankyou. I wish I never got that connection now cos I just keep seeing his eyes. Sorry if I sound real soppy, but I just found out. Hope I dont regret writing this.

My friend recons that it was a pantera fan that did it. He recons that there is a testimony from a witness on these
http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2004/dec04/20041209_damageplan.html
I cant open it.

jarofsap
12-10-2004, 01:09 AM
you know what's sick? I found out about it by watching Imus this morning, and those Ivy League jerks were laughing about it. They said his name is "Body Bag Darrell" now.

:mad1:

Dogstar
12-10-2004, 01:15 AM
That's just cruel. I hate the world sometimes.

Higher_Desire
12-10-2004, 01:16 AM
Two members of the heavy metal band Damageplan were reportedly shot and killed, including Dimebag Darrell, formerly with the band Pantera, NBC 4's David Wayne reported. The alleged gunman also died at the scene, Wayne reported.
Where'd you find that article?? Who was the other one?? :confused:
you know what's sick? I found out about it by watching Imus this morning, and those Ivy League jerks were laughing about it. They said his name is "Body Bag Darrell" now.
:mad1:
Now that's just pathetic. :mad:

H-D :pimp:

Chase
12-10-2004, 02:05 AM
May Dimbag rest in piece.

RMadd
12-10-2004, 02:10 AM
that's too bad about what happened. can't say i was ever a huge Damageplan fan (never really listened to 'em, that's why), but it's just awful when a big-time musician dies, whether by shooting or accident. people are just too damn messed up these days. no common sense at all.

Trimontana
12-10-2004, 03:43 AM
One time when he was playing, he kept turning his back to the audience when he was soloing. I got his attentino and asked him to turn around so we could watch. He seemed like a pretty humble guy, but he did it. I looked him in the eye and said thankyou. I wish I never got that connection now cos I just keep seeing his eyes. Sorry if I sound real soppy, but I just found out. Hope I dont regret writing this.

My friend recons that it was a pantera fan that did it. He recons that there is a testimony from a witness on these
http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2004/dec04/20041209_damageplan.html
I cant open it.

Wooooowww i canīt say a word....
I think Tremonti was a huge fan of him........R..I.P.

Shagrath
12-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Dimebag was a guitaring genius
one of if not the best Metal guitarist in our history
his heavy sound was and still is awesome
may you rest in peace Darrel Abbott

tremonti4life04
12-10-2004, 11:54 AM
You know what the one thiing that really angers me about this situation? Its the fact that when Biggie and 2Pac died, thats all you saw, everywhere, all over mtv and vh1. When the most influential guitarist in thrash metal history dies, getting shot 5 times on stage doing the thing he loves, mtv and vh1 dont give a rats ass about it. I guess you gotta be a major rap star to get any airtime, I bet you if the lead singer for one of these little pop/punk bands got shot on stage, mtv and vh1 wouldnt stop talking about it

Dogstar
12-10-2004, 12:04 PM
I hear ya, tremontiforlife04. It took the morons a whole day to even mention Dimebag's name. It wasn't as if the information wasn't out there, either. It was all over the net an hour or two after it happened. Not to mention that four people died. Office shootings get more coverage. It all goes back to a lack of respect/interest for anything that isn't *mainstream*.

Shagrath
12-10-2004, 04:04 PM
tremonti4life04: i also noticed it, at mtv news, they didnt mention anything about it ,but they can mention that lindsay lohan breaked her relationship with the guy that plays fez in 70s show. that really pisses me off

Wylde-Tremonti
12-10-2004, 05:11 PM
You Guys they aren't being TOTALLY INSENSITIVE...
This Saturday MTV2's having a Special Head Bangers Ball in Honor of him...

JenRN
12-10-2004, 06:06 PM
How horrible this all was. It amazes me what people will do with obsession. I can only imagine how security will change in nightclubs now. Went I saw AB in October I walked right in, talked to them all while they were doing soundcheck. Not one security guard was around or anything. It was unreal. I felt like "holy crap I am allowed to be in here?" they did not have any metal detector or anything. It is really sad this had to happen. I agree with Dogstar what the hell is wrong with people?! :mad1:

Wylde-Tremonti
12-10-2004, 08:56 PM
really??? At my AB concert i was Patted down and everything... I'm glad the Security around here is really good... all the venues i've been to in the area have really good security...

tremonti4life04
12-11-2004, 01:34 AM
You know what tho, this situation deserves MTV coverage as well as MTV2. MTV2 is the red-headed step child of the music industry. This needs to be thrown all over the airwaves. This is not how you treat one of the most influential guitarists of all time. Dimebag is a hero in the eyes of people who dont even really appreciate thrash metal. I was never a thrash metal person, but i 1000000000% respected dimebag darrell as a guitarist because he could shred like no one else. I always liked anything that dimebag had to do because he was just a crazy, balls to the wall guitarist. I just dont like how the media is handling it. hell, NBC covered it more than MTV, and NBC is to music what Marilyn Manson is to children books, they dont mix.

Trimontana
12-11-2004, 04:58 AM
Here in London we had good security stuff...not in Manchester....
I donīt want to think something bad can happen to them. That`s why i pray for them.

revisfoot
12-11-2004, 11:42 AM
I know this is huge in the guitar community, so I just have a message to the rest of my guitar playing brothers and sisters: we will do what Dimebag would want us to do, and that is to keep playing and writing. All musicians, all of us, no matter if you play guitar, bass, piano, clarinet, whatever, let's continue playing, continue writing. That's what Dimebag would have wanted.

luvscott4ever
12-12-2004, 11:20 AM
I know I read in one of the numberous reports on the radio station I listen to (thank god they care!!) that I guess it's the bands that will or will not request what kind of security there is. I know when we went to the Korn concert a couple of weeks ago, they just waved us through...didn't even give us a second glance...Hey, I know I look unthreatening, but god, you never know!!! I know I also read another report that they don't seem to think that the security procedures will change that much, ever after this horrible tragedy!! This just totally amazes me!! Go Figure!! :confused:

luvscott4ever
12-12-2004, 11:27 AM
They were having a radiothon to raise money for food kitchens in Philly and such and it was a request-athon type thing. So who calls in but David Draiman from Disturbed. He talked about Dimebag and said the sweetest things about him. He talked about what a big heart Dimebag had and how he wasn't happy unless everyone around him was having as good a time as he was. He loved life, people and playing the guitar. You could tell Draiman was really upset. It made me cry, listening to him.

I just love him!! (David Draiman) I just wonder how Sully of Godsmack took all of this, I know they were really good friends. I have a Godsmack dvd with footage of Sully messing around with the Pantera guys!! I know I read alot of really great comments from other rockers, what a bunch of really great people!! I think I was most impressed with what Lars Ulrich had to say...And last but not least I actually feel for one of our DJ's, Thursday you could hear in his voice just how upset he was!! He's usually pretty out there, but not Thursday!! I've only just gotten into Damageplan and was soo in awe of Dimebag when I watched him play 3 short weeks ago...He will be GREATLY MISSED!! RIP and Rock On Always!!!

Wylde-Tremonti
12-12-2004, 12:19 PM
I just wonder how Sully of Godsmack took all of this, I know they were really good friends.
Yeah... same w/ Zakk Wylde, He and Darrell were best friends. They were on many an Ozzfest Tour together...

Dogstar
12-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Jerry Cantrell was also close to Dimebag. They did that Ashes to Ashes song for the Punisher soundtrack over the Thanksgiving Day holiday last year.

Wylde-Tremonti
12-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Yeah... DIme had so many Friends it's really quite a testament on what kind of guy he was...

Dogstar
12-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Yeah, and almost everyone who was quoted said Dimebag always had a smile for everyone. Jerry called him a deep soul and was flabbergasted that anyone could have a beef with him.

Trimontana
12-12-2004, 12:54 PM
http://www.kwod.net/music_news/

Sunday, December 12, 2004
Far Beyond Missed
Members of Korn and Deftones are among the musicians expressing grief over Wednesday's horrific murder of Damageplan/ex-Pantera guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott. "Darrell and Pantera were one of the main reasons I joined a metal band," says Korn frontman Jonathan Davis. "Korn is truly shaken." Meanwhile, Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine will host an MTV2 Headbanger's Ball tribute to Dimebag that will premiere Saturday (Dec. 11) at 10 p.m. ET.
mtv.com

http://www.krzr.com/script/headline_newsmanager.php?id=371186&pagecontent=musicnewsrockactive&feed_id=122
Shooter Blames Guitarist For Breaking Up Pantera

Click here to see pictures of one of Damageplan's most recent performances.

Click here to hear chilling 911 calls from the scene.
The gunman who killed Darrell "Dimebag" Abbott and three others at an Ohio concert reportedly blamed the guitarist for breaking up his favorite band, Pantera.

Nathan Gale, 25, jumped onto the stage Wednesday at the Alrosa Villa in Columbus and shot Abbott as he and his new band, Damageplan, were performing.

Screaming, "You broke up Pantera," Gale fired five shots into Abbott, 38, witnesses told the New York Daily News Friday. He also killed a bodyguard and two fans before a police officer killed him with a single shot.

Abbott and his brother, drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, were original members of Pantera, one of the most popular metal bands in the 1990s. Conflicts with singer Phil Anselmo, though, drove the Abbott brothers to leave Pantera last year and form Damageplan.

Gale, who idolized Anselmo and memorized Pantera's dark lyrics, was apparently bitter about the demise of his favorite group, the Daily News said.

Witnesses say they thought it was part of the act before realizing what was going on.

Damageplan was formed by Pantera founders Darrell and brother and drummer Vinnie Paul. They were scheduled to perform in Chicago Thursday night.

Damageplan drummer, Vinnie Paul, brother of "Dimebag" Darrell has released a statement saying, "With all his greatness and accomplishments on the guitar, DIME will be missed more for his giving personality, charisma, caring for others, love and most of all his HEART!! Twice as big as the state of TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!! DIME gave it all everyday to each and every one of us and our lives have forever been hollowed without him...Thanks to all of you for reaching out to us in this time of our immeasurable loss. REST IN PEACE BROTHER DIME!!!!!!"

About a month ago, the group was in Chicago to promote their new album, "New Found Power." Clear Channel's Andy Friedman had a chance to interview Paul and singer Pat Lachman:

Building on their Pantera roots:
HiBand | LoBand

Pat nailed the job of lead singer:
HiBand | LoBand

The bass player, Bob Zilla, is also a tattoo artist:
HiBand | LoBand

A Little More About Damageplan:

Dimebag Darrell and Vinnie Paul started forming up Damageplan in early 2003, soon after the demise of their previous band, thrash metal heroes Pantera.

The brothers began working on tracks at Dime's Dallas home studio, unsure of exactly what they'd do with the material, but determined to banish the bad taste of Pantera's awkward breakup.

Ex-Halford and -Diesel Machine guitarist (and full-time Dime pal) Pat Lachman heard the demos and expressed interest in singing for the project. While he'd never served as a frontman, Lachman's performances over the raw material were strong enough to land him the vocalist position.

The lineup was completed with the addition of local bassist Bob Kakaha, who was immediately dubbed Bob Zilla for his monstrous tone, and the quartet began hashing out the new material under the working title of New Found Power.

By October 2003, they'd decided on Damageplan, with New Found Power becoming the name of their Elektra debut.

The album dropped in February 2004 to considerable buzz, mostly from Pantera's existing fan base. Longtime fans weren't disappointed as New Found Power did echo Dime and Vinnie's previous work. But it moved in new directions, too, exploring more melodic post-grunge avenues and tinging its sound with slight elements of nu-metal's electronic throb.

Guests on the record included guitarist Zakk Wylde and Slipknot vocalist Corey Taylor; Damageplan spent most of January 2004 on a promotional tour before gearing up for an aggressive round of dates that spring and summer.

Click below to watch the video "Explode":
Real Player
Windows Media: 100k | 300k | 450k
QuickTime: 56k | 100k | 300k | 450k

Clear Channel's WTVN contributed to this report.

Top Photo Copyright Clear Channel News...All Other Copyright Getty Images

Bio Copyright All Music Guide