Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Bodhi Day - Celebrating the Buddha's Awakening [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Bodhi Day - Celebrating the Buddha's Awakening

souldancer
12-08-2002, 02:47 AM
<b><i> "Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity."</b> </i> --Buddha

Sunday Decemeber 8 is recognized by many of the Mahayana Buddhists as Bodhi Day - a day to celebrate Buddha's enlightenment.

Here is a little background for anyone interested...
The prince, Siddhartha Gautama, left his home and family and all his possessions behind at the age of 29 to discover the meaning of life, particularly its hardships. After six years of rigorous discipline and asceticism under the guidance of a number of spiritual teachers, he still hadn't found what he was looking for. While traveling with a small group of fellow seekers, he went off by himself, broke his fast, and sat down under a Bodhi tree and vowed not to arise until he understood. He sat through the week, day and night, and on the eighth morning came to the realization which became the founding principles of what the modern world calls Buddhis which included the Four Noble Truths:

* All beings are subject to suffering. No one escapes... suffering is universal.

* The cause of suffering is Ignorance. And Ignorance of oneself is the greatest Ignorance.

* Ignorance, the cause of suffering, can be overcome, and

* The way to overcome Ignorance is the Eightfold Path.

The Eightfold Path
Right Views means to keep ourselves free from prejudice, superstition and delusion... and to see aright the true nature of life.

Right Thoughts means to turn away from the hypocrisies of this world and to direct our minds toward Truth and Positive Attitudes and Action.

Right Conduct means to see that our deeds are peaceable, benevolent, compassionate and pure... and to live the Teachings daily.

Right Speech means to refrain from pointless and harmful talk... to speak kindly and courteously to all.

Right Livelihood means to earn our living in such a way as to entail no evil consequences. To seek that employment to which can give our complete enthusiasm and devotion.

Right Effort means to direct our efforts continually to the overcoming of ignorance and craving desires.

Right Mindfulness means to cherish good and pure thoughts, for all that we say and do arises from our thoughts.

Right Meditation means to concentrate on the Oneness of all life and the Buddhahood that exists within all beings.

** This thread is purely informational - a recognition of this celebration. No intention is made to enter into a debate or make comparisons. If you find something meaninful for yourself, then accept that as a gift. **

Dogstar
12-08-2002, 03:05 AM
Thank you, SD. Those are words to live by, no matter what the religion or belief.
I especially liked this one:

Right Conduct means to see that our deeds are peaceable, benevolent, compassionate and pure...

Lady Valkyrie
12-08-2002, 07:19 PM
I totally agree with you Dogstar. :)

Thank you souldancer... it is greatly appreciated. :)

souldancer
12-08-2002, 11:58 PM
Thanks Lady V and DS! Glad you appreciated this. Rock and Love on!

allison
12-10-2002, 04:40 PM
Compassion...my very favorite quality.

JenRN
12-11-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by allison
Compassion...my very favorite quality.

Mine too! It is hard to come by these days!:(

Amish Warlord
12-14-2002, 11:28 AM
Buddha = the man.

-J