Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Myles Sounds An Awful Lot Like... [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Myles Sounds An Awful Lot Like...

Grunge_Rocker
10-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Myles sounds just like Chris Cornell? That is a good thing, BTW. I just bought Alter Bridge today, and it totally rocked my ears. I thought Creed was good, but this new band is a bit harder I think. I actually think the band sounds good with this newer singer.

I always like to hear Chris Cornell, no matter what album or band he is with. I think Cornell is an extremely talented musician, and I think Myles sounds just like him, especially all throughout End Is Here. That is a good sign. If Myles sounds so much Cornell, than he may also prove that his musicianship could almost compare with Grunge veteran Cornell. (Sincere apologies to Myles Kennedy in regards for the comparison to Cornell; I mean absolutely no disrespect. But you have to admit, Chris Cornell has always done pretty darn good with everything he ever put forth. At least in my opinion.)

I really think this band will go very far, and their debut did much better than I had expected it too. So listen to Alter Bridge, kiddies. Go to their concerts. Buy their stuff. Tell your friends about them. Support their efforts, for crying out loud!

Steve
10-10-2004, 11:26 PM
I think he does sound like Cornell in a few parts of songs - mainly towards the end of Find The Real. He does have his own unique sound though.

Dogstar
10-10-2004, 11:29 PM
I agree. I hear some Cornell-like vocals. I even hear a little Jeff Buckley touches. I think he does have his own sound, though.

fluttergirl
10-10-2004, 11:30 PM
He doesn't sound like Cornel today, maybe circa the 1980s, but DEFINITELY from the same school of vocal(ness? ality?). So yes, he does. And as Steve said, he does have his own sound as well.

Ann Allusion
10-10-2004, 11:30 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Myles sounds just like Chris Cornell?

thus the reason i said in the very beginning that AB sounded like early "Soundgarden" in sooo many ways...and my preferences are for the origional.

evyllsummer
10-10-2004, 11:43 PM
thus the reason i said in the very beginning that AB sounded like early "Soundgarden" in sooo many ways...and my preferences are for the origional.

Well, Soundgarden was tapping into the 70s sound, and AB is doing that as well...some similarities exist because they are both drinking from the same well...metaphorically speaking...and Myles and EARLY Cornell have similar range...

Dogstar
10-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Yeah, Cornell can't hit those high notes the way he used to, but he still sounds great :D.

evyllsummer
10-11-2004, 12:00 AM
Yeah, Cornell can't hit those high notes the way he used to, but he still sounds great :D.

yeah, DS, I'm still all about Cornell...I'm a fan for life...we discussed the whole "voice texture" issue in the "yet another Myles thread", so I won't repeat it here, but, yeah, CC is still way kewl...

aussiecreeder
10-11-2004, 02:47 AM
yeah in the find the real he sounds like soundgarden(ish) cornell. other times he sounds a bit like buckley but most of the time he sounds just like himself. if you are going to sound like anyone else it may as well be those two IMO. as for cornell he isn't the singer he was in the early to late 90's but he is still one of the best.

evyllsummer
10-11-2004, 10:10 AM
yeah in the find the real he sounds like soundgarden(ish) cornell. other times he sounds a bit like buckley but most of the time he sounds just like himself. if you are going to sound like anyone else it may as well be those two IMO. as for cornell he isn't the singer he was in the early to late 90's but he is still one of the best.

yeah, I was thinking about that note in "find the real" and, it kinda sounds like Cornell, but it sounds like Cornell when he sounds like Dio, so...maybe it just sounds like Dio...

The Lithium
10-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Well, he sounds a little alike I'd say, but if you listen to first Audioslave and then Alter Bridge - you can hear a big difference!!

RMadd
10-11-2004, 12:18 PM
I agree, he sounds alot like Chris, particularly when he gets into his upper range (which is so freakin' amazing!)

fluttergirl
10-11-2004, 01:20 PM
Lith, listen to some old Soundgarden, or his solo CD.
the smaoking and screaming has done a lot of wear and tear on his chords in recent years.

Grunge_Rocker
10-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Yeah man, Cornell's bad habits have really taken their toll on him over the years :smokin: . Back in the old `Garden days, Chris was best known for his ability to wail like ain't no tomorrow all throughout some of his songs. And he could actually blend his voice into the chord, so that the riff would start out as a guitar strike and actually end up with Cornell screaming wildly.

He only attempted these feats a couple of times on the `Slave debut, and those attempts weren't nearly as successful. I hate to admit, but Chris' voice seems somehow corroded these days from all the smokin' he's done.

I'm hoping that Myles Kennedy will tend to pick where Cornell is gradually leaving off. :o

The Lithium
10-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Lith, listen to some old Soundgarden, or his solo CD.
the smaoking and screaming has done a lot of wear and tear on his chords in recent years.
Well, I guess so...

fluttergirl
10-11-2004, 02:18 PM
Yeah man, Cornell's bad habits have really taken their toll on him over the years :smokin: . Back in the old `Garden days, Chris was best known for his ability to wail like ain't no tomorrow all throughout some of his songs. And he could actually blend his voice into the chord, so that the riff would start out as a guitar strike and actually end up with Cornell screaming wildly.
cough*Loud Love*cough
Yes, indeed

He only attempted these feats a couple of times on the `Slave debut, and those attempts weren't nearly as successful. I hate to admit, but Chris' voice seems somehow corroded these days from all the smokin' he's done.
I know... :(

I'm hoping that Myles Kennedy will tend to pick where Cornell is gradually leaving off. :o
Cept for the screams, I dont think anyone can make up for that, and I dunno. Myles is extremely awesome, and nothing against him, but Chris has his own, i dont even know what, he's insane. The man is insanely awesome. And Myles is only a few years younger, he probably has his own thing, and it'll just get more exposed over time. But flat out vocally, yes. Or, better yet, Cornell could drop the smoking and get into some kind of voice rehab. :D

Higher_Desire
10-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Myles sounds just like Chris Cornell?
No, I think all the many magazine articles that have come out that review the album that compare Myles to Chris think it too.

Wow. I hope that didn't come off as arrogant and piss-headed as it just sounded when I read it.

I'm glad you like AB and welcome to the board! Cool avatar BTW. I totally love Kurt. I know some of the members of his family. (I grew up in Montesano/Aberdeen WA.)

H-D :pimp:

fluttergirl
10-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Wow. Forgot that one-
Welcome to the board!

The Lithium
10-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Welcome dude!! :rockon:

AndrewFromABRox
10-11-2004, 04:52 PM
Haha I was thinking when i saw this thread, " I bet it's gonna be chris cornell". And yes i agree with you, i think that's about the closest person you could describe him to, especially the end to find the real, the last high note is like exactly like Chris, which is a complement i think. But i wouldn't call him a ripoff at all, it's just when he goes real high, i think he's alot better.

fluttergirl
10-11-2004, 05:10 PM
I know, I know, I know.... :(

DekWannaBFlea
10-11-2004, 07:09 PM
I have a huge poster of Cornell with Audioslave in my dorm room, he is a badass. I think Myles will last longer because of him getting vocal lessons and all.

fluttergirl
10-11-2004, 07:22 PM
You people are gonna make me cry.....

evyllsummer
10-11-2004, 10:59 PM
Yeah, the thing about Chris is that, in the beginning, with Louder Than Love, Screaming Life, etc, he was big into the high screaming...not singing...but screaming...(you cats got me in the mood...listening to "Hunted Down" on Screaming Life...), and that's just what he is doing on the masterpiece intro to "Loud Love". His natural register was in the tenor range, but, when Andrew Wood died, I think that it had a huge effect on Chris, and on Temple of the Dog, he really started to develop his baritone stuff, which could have also been the result of the chain smoking and damage. In any case, for whatever reason, Chris started to develop more texture (as Amber called it) to his voice, and, at that point continuing until...I'll say Superunknown, that texture was for the better. However, the toll taken is too great now, as the texture has taken over his range and limited it. Now he still sounds great, I'm an old school Cornell fan, as I was introduced to Louder Than Love back in '89. But, Chris couldn't touch his older stuff these days...wow, back in the day, though...

In contrast, if you listen to the first Citizen Swing album (circa 1992), that was Myles just getting a hold on the singing thing, and he was great. But, from that point forward, he has gained in power, range, and facility on every subsequent album. This is because Myles applies method to his technique, getting up in the morning to do scales, he watches his diet, etc.

aussiecreeder
10-11-2004, 11:39 PM
yeah, I was thinking about that note in "find the real" and, it kinda sounds like Cornell, but it sounds like Cornell when he sounds like Dio, so...maybe it just sounds like Dio...

yeah that is a good point. whether he tries to sound like chris or they both have the same source, the result is the same. i would give the same arguement with the whole stapp-vedder thing in relation to jim morrison. vocally my fav cornell albums are the temple of the dog album and his solo album as they both really show off his voice in the best light IMO. i would love to see myles do an acoustic based solo album as that would show off his voice to no end as it would be the sole focus.

evyllsummer
10-12-2004, 12:59 AM
yeah that is a good point. whether he tries to sound like chris or they both have the same source, the result is the same. i would give the same arguement with the whole stapp-vedder thing in relation to jim morrison. vocally my fav cornell albums are the temple of the dog album and his solo album as they both really show off his voice in the best light IMO. i would love to see myles do an acoustic based solo album as that would show off his voice to no end as it would be the sole focus.

I'm with you, and, yeah, Stapp gets a hard time about sounding like Vedder, when I hear just as much Morrison in there...probably drawing from the same source there, as well.

Temple of the Dog...yeah, Cornell at his emotive best, but, then, he was communicating a lot of grief on that album...I don't think he will ever be able to top that, and that's fine...it's immortal...

Myles solo cd...yeah, the queue starts here...

aussiecreeder
10-12-2004, 01:10 AM
yeah that album is untouchable i think by anything that those guys have done
prior to since that point and i seriously mean that. when AB do get around to having a break i would just about kill for a solo album from myles and for mark's metal project to finally happen where he will seriously let go (hopefully) :)

evyllsummer
10-12-2004, 10:03 AM
yeah that album is untouchable i think by anything that those guys have done
prior to since that point and i seriously mean that. when AB do get around to having a break i would just about kill for a solo album from myles and for mark's metal project to finally happen where he will seriously let go (hopefully) :)

yeah, I think that both of those albums would be really kewl...

aussiecreeder
10-13-2004, 12:55 AM
yeah, I think that both of those albums would be really kewl...

no doubt....wasen't there talk that myles' solo work involved some electronica stuff like massive attack or am i crazy lol? that would be kind of cool and certainly different although a more acoustic album would be my preference. mark going sick and doing all of that tapping and and the like would be insane and perhaps some guest vocalists.

evyllsummer
10-13-2004, 10:02 AM
no doubt....wasen't there talk that myles' solo work involved some electronica stuff like massive attack or am i crazy lol? that would be kind of cool and certainly different although a more acoustic album would be my preference. mark going sick and doing all of that tapping and and the like would be insane and perhaps some guest vocalists.

yeah, the Myles album...I suspect that he would have been working with Chris White (not me) on that one...they both have a jazz streak, and they were doing a quasi-electronica thing when they worked together on that houseofsound.com commercial...

fluttergirl
10-13-2004, 05:19 PM
I think...ooops, yup, almost drooled there...

aussiecreeder
10-13-2004, 08:28 PM
yeah, the Myles album...I suspect that he would have been working with Chris White (not me) on that one...they both have a jazz streak, and they were doing a quasi-electronica thing when they worked together on that houseofsound.com commercial...

too much modesty there summer! ;) hopefully this album does get made some time down the track. :)

evyllsummer
10-13-2004, 10:28 PM
too much modesty there summer! ;) hopefully this album does get made some time down the track. :)

Yeah, the album will happen, I think it is a question of when, not if...just waiting is the killer...

4everstapp
10-13-2004, 11:23 PM
:D I was thinking the same thing today!!

aussiecreeder
10-13-2004, 11:37 PM
Yeah, the album will happen, I think it is a question of when, not if...just waiting is the killer...

hope you are right! the only way i can see it happening is if AB takes a break of between 6-12 months where they go off and do their own things for a little while. otherwise between touring and making AB records there is simply no time. jazz and electronica in the same record? i can't even imagine that but it has me intrigued.

evyllsummer
10-14-2004, 12:25 AM
hope you are right! the only way i can see it happening is if AB takes a break of between 6-12 months where they go off and do their own things for a little while. otherwise between touring and making AB records there is simply no time. jazz and electronica in the same record? i can't even imagine that but it has me intrigued.

yeah, I'm not saying that it's going to be anytime soon, but, there will HAVE to be a break eventually. After the tour, or, maybe even after a second album and tour, but, Mark will eventually do his speed metal project, and, at that point would be the perfect time for Myles to finish his thing...

aussiecreeder
10-14-2004, 01:23 AM
yeah, I'm not saying that it's going to be anytime soon, but, there will HAVE to be a break eventually. After the tour, or, maybe even after a second album and tour, but, Mark will eventually do his speed metal project, and, at that point would be the perfect time for Myles to finish his thing...

yeah it seems like they having a great time at the moment and they haven't played in australia yet (wink wink) so they need to tour more. mark cannot risk his metal urges forever and that would be the perfect time for myles to do his thing. still having a hard time imagining jazz put through loops and stuff. maybe it won't be like that.....who knows?

cariocawlad
10-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Somebody knows any news about Audioslave? The group ended?

evyllsummer
10-14-2004, 11:04 AM
Somebody knows any news about Audioslave? The group ended?

I haven't heard anything about ending, all I know is that Tom is on tour with the Nightwatchmen right now...

And, yeah, as for the Myles album, he mentioned that it would be like in the realm of Massive Attack, and they, on occasion, do stuff like that. David Holmes does as well. It would be interesting to hear Myles go in that direction, but...we probably wouldn't hear him tearing it up on vocals, I would suspect...

fluttergirl
10-14-2004, 11:00 PM
Audioslave will have thier second CD out either by the end of the year or sometime at the beginning of Januaryish.

evyllsummer
10-14-2004, 11:53 PM
Audioslave will have thier second CD out either by the end of the year or sometime at the beginning of Januaryish.

works for me!!!

aussiecreeder
10-16-2004, 05:03 AM

i doubt it will be out by the end of the year. early next year is likely along with albums from tool and nine inch nails (removes saliva from shirt lol). i'm so hoping cornell's vocals are somewhat back to their rulinating best.

The Lithium
10-16-2004, 05:20 AM
Wow, cool, I love AS first album!!

husker
10-17-2004, 10:10 PM
Try Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills - I know M was a fan of IM,
and I also know he practiced to sound like Cornell.

fluttergirl
10-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Hey, bout time you came around.
Yes, also a good CD....

Sidenote-A girl in my Calc class the other day heard set it off by Audioslave, and was like, "Isn't that Van Halen?" :eek:
whoa boy. I almost took her head off. And got in a lil trouble for my enthusiasm, but man. The ignorance is amazing.... :(

Dogstar
10-18-2004, 01:36 PM
VAN HALEN???? LMMFAO...You have to be kidding. I don't hear that at all, LOL...That's a good one.

fluttergirl
10-18-2004, 03:05 PM
i wish i was kidding...she has no idea, she listens to pop crap. I was blown away....

aussiecreeder
10-18-2004, 11:32 PM
audioslave sounds like van halen? what the?

fluttergirl
10-19-2004, 12:39 AM
They dont. She was an idget. ;) :D

aussiecreeder
10-19-2004, 12:42 AM

lol amen to that....:)

evyllsummer
10-22-2004, 02:41 PM
Try Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills - I know M was a fan of IM,
and I also know he practiced to sound like Cornell.

well, I talked to Myles about that, and he said that he thinks the similarity comes from the fact that they have similar influences...

husker
10-22-2004, 08:20 PM
well, I talked to Myles about that, and he said that he thinks the similarity comes from the fact that they have similar influences...
now that's funny cause now I need to reaffirm my story with him :wtf:

evyllsummer
10-22-2004, 11:35 PM
now that's funny cause now I need to reaffirm my story with him :wtf:

well, I might have misunderstood, but, we were talking, and he brought up "the whole Cornell thing" (which is how he said it), he said that he thought it had to do with the similar influences, and then the conversation went to Thornley, as I told him that I didn't really hear the Cornell thing with him, but I heard it with Thornley, so then he asked me what I thought of the new Thornley album, so it kind of changed direction...my opinion was, and is, that Thornley's album is very consistent, but that the better songs are Big Wreck...

Dogstar
10-22-2004, 11:37 PM
LOL!