Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
AB is totally different from Creed [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : AB is totally different from Creed

Bridge of Clay
08-03-2004, 03:22 PM
Just check their album on Vh1... totally unCreedish. They don't need Stapp...

Jooji_2
08-03-2004, 05:32 PM
I have checked out the clips they have posted. I wish them luck....but they are quite a bit heavier than my taste in music. I only go so heavy and then its a turn off for me.

revisfoot
08-03-2004, 07:51 PM
Bridge of Clay -- you're right!! This is awesome. I don't think they'll have any trouble getting out from under the "creed'' shadow. This is really phenomenal stuff!

aussiecreeder
08-03-2004, 08:11 PM
i agree it doesn't sound like creed to me at all apart from a couple of songs. only weakish song is "watch your words" although that could change and simply an awesome album. "in loving memory of" could make a grown man cry! lol

musiclover291
08-03-2004, 08:11 PM
I listen and overall I liked what I heard but Myles voice just doesn't move me. However, the music is awesome Mark, Flip and Brian are at the top of their game. In Loving Memory just didn't move me the way I felt it should have. I wish them luck.

Just my opinion

aussiecreeder
08-03-2004, 08:15 PM
I listen and overall I liked what I heard but Myles voice just doesn't move me. However, the music is awesome Mark, Flip and Brian are at the top of their game. In Loving Memory just didn't move me the way I felt it should have. I wish them luck.

Just my opinion

myles' voice is very touching in the slower songs and overall his voice is very versatile. he has a lot of talent and all 4 members deliever so well. does anyone else think myles is more likely to write a lot more lyrics on the next album?

Shadow
08-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Marcos, you are one of the reasons I checked their music out on VH1.

Don't be mad, but I'm going to give you my honest opinion. (If you haven't already read it at PBF)

I think the In Loving Memory lyrics are beautiful. However, Myles voice ruined the song. He honestly hurt my ears.

I listened to Metalingus and actually thought it was a good song. But again, Myles voice ruined it for me.

Can someone please tell Myles to stop ooooooohhhhhhing. He does it in 3 of the 4 songs I've listened to.

You're right Marcos they do not sound like Creed. The problem with AB isn't the music. It's the singer. I'm sorry, but I don't care for Myles voice at all, even less after hearing him sing In Loving Memory.

rabidgopher04
08-03-2004, 09:39 PM
I think Myles sings too much over the guitars especially during bridges or solos. His voice doesn't always compliment the music.

musiclover291
08-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Marcos, you are one of the reasons I checked their music out on VH1.

Don't be mad, but I'm going to give you my honest opinion. (If you haven't already read it at PBF)

I think the In Loving Memory lyrics are beautiful. However, Myles voice ruined the song. He honestly hurt my ears.

I listened to Metalingus and actually thought it was a good song. But again, Myles voice ruined it for me.

Can someone please tell Myles to stop ooooooohhhhhhing. He does it in 3 of the 4 songs I've listened to.

You're right Marcos they do not sound like Creed. The problem with AB isn't the music. It's the singer. I'm sorry, but I don't care for Myles voice at all, even less after hearing him sing In Loving Memory.
I kind of agree with you I listen to it for a third time the music is awesome but his voice it just doesn't move me especially In Loving Memory its like his voice doesn't fit the music but I will keep listening because the music rocks!!!!!!!!

Shadow
08-03-2004, 10:30 PM
In Loving Memory its like his voice doesn't fit the music
Exactly my point.

I'm kind of feel bad for feeling this way about Myles' voice. I want to like AB because of where they are coming from. I liked the music, just not the voice.

jurquiza
08-03-2004, 10:41 PM
I know I'm not the only one that feels this way............

Scott's voice was so perfect for the music..............I miss it so much....... :(

I'mRational
08-03-2004, 10:47 PM
Just check their album on Vh1... totally unCreedish. They don't need Stapp...
The album is amazing.......probably will appeal more to musicians than regular folk........I'm going to post my review later.

Kimvan
08-03-2004, 10:51 PM
Exactly my point.

I'm kind of feel bad for feeling this way about Myles' voice. I want to like AB because of where they are coming from. I liked the music, just not the voice.
Exactly, Shadow. I want to like AB, and I do like the music - Mark, Flip and Brian have all grown as musicians, that much is obvious. But Myles' voice grates on my nerves like fingernails on a chalkboard...I can't even describe it, can't pinpoint exactly - whiney?? Cracking?? Those are two things that come to mind. He's probably a wonderful person, but I personally don't care for his sound, just my opinion.

farmgirl
08-03-2004, 10:52 PM
I know I'm not the only one that feels this way............

Scott's voice was so perfect for the music..............I miss it so much....... :(

Hey jurquiza! Just wanted to let you know your cd rocks! :) Hope you're doing good.

Dogstar
08-03-2004, 10:55 PM
does anyone else think myles is more likely to write a lot more lyrics on the next album?
Yes. I think the next album may sound totally different from this one, which would be intriguing as hell.

Creed_Defaultgirl
08-03-2004, 10:55 PM
I like his voice, but you guys are right.....maybe he is missing the passion that Scott had, maybe it just doesn't fit the music very well. I'm not exactly sure why I don't like him. And I'm with you Robyn, ooooooooohhhhhhhhing doesn't put passion into the music when it seems that you don't have passion for it anyway. It just makes it sound bad. I think Myles is probably a pretty cool person, but he is definatly not "the best out there." One song that I listened to of theirs that I really really did like alot was "One Day Remains" That one sounds good IMO. I haven't listened to all of them, though. I know if it were Scott singing "In Loving Memory" I would have cried. I almost did, but I think Myles just didn't have it for me in that song.

Just to pick on him, not in a bad way.....me and mom call him goldilocks! sorry Myles..... ;)

musiclover291
08-03-2004, 11:12 PM
I agree something is missing

Mr.CreedFreakTN
08-03-2004, 11:46 PM
As most of you know I am very pro Stapp , Alter bridge is not Creed they are a very different band now . Frankly I love Myles voice he is everything from Scott Stapp to Chris Cornell even Sabastian Bach. They are going to do very well. I a now most definately fan and Myles voice helped me to be one. Scott Stapp will do well too . Let's just both the best of luck and support them in what they do. One Day Remains is an awesome cd. This is just my opinion. :)

aussiecreeder
08-03-2004, 11:53 PM
my honest opinioin here, ODR is better than any creed album and myles is 2 times the vocalist stapp is. flame me if you will......kerri i look forward to the next album already lol.

revisfoot
08-04-2004, 12:09 AM
I have to admit as well, Myles has the voice of an angel. His range, depth, and control is phenomenal. I personally think that Myles is much better than Stapp. I love Scott Stapp to death, don't get me wrong, but, listen to him strain so hard in "Wash Away those Years." Then, listen to Myles on "Summergirl" by The Mayfield Four. Myles -- rock on!!

Echelon Soldier
08-04-2004, 12:44 AM
my honest opinioin here, ODR is better than any creed album and myles is 2 times the vocalist stapp is. flame me if you will......kerri i look forward to the next album already lol.

::HIGH FIVE::

Myles is just so much more of an acomplished singer than stapp. His voice isn't for everyone but i certainly love it.
:D

farmgirl
08-04-2004, 12:58 AM
The more I hear of these AB songs, the more I dislike Myles voice. I really don't think he's that great of a singer...its just not to my liking. All the oooooooo's are a bit much. Just my opinion.

Echelon Soldier
08-04-2004, 01:13 AM
like i said..he is not for everyone.
can't please everyone....nobody is going to make you people that don't like him listen to AB. If you don't like his voice....don't listen.
it's just that simple. :)

farmgirl
08-04-2004, 01:52 AM
Well, I listened to a majority of the songs to see if I liked them better than OYE, which I really didn't. I wanted to give them a fair chance and I think some of the songs are good, but Myles voice doesn't do them justice. ;)

Dogstar
08-04-2004, 02:00 AM
Well, I will have to hear the whole thing before I say it's better than My Own Prison :D...but I know I'm going to like it :D

aussiecreeder
08-04-2004, 02:21 AM
Well, I will have to hear the whole thing before I say it's better than My Own Prison :D...but I know I'm going to like it :D

MOP is very good but ODR is a better album for mine, just more mature. Scott is a very good vocalist but Myles is on another plane in my opinion. No vocalist is going to be loved by all but he can seriously sing.

Dogstar
08-04-2004, 03:19 AM
Hmm, indeed Myles kicks ass, but man, MOP just really moved me and grabbed me from the get-go. I will have a better idea of which one I like better when I get to hear the whole thing at once.

Bridge of Clay
08-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Just so you know, AB has picked a single for their NEXT album. Apparently, they really liked one of the songs Mark wrote, but that didn't fit into the mood of ODR. So they left it to the next. It's a bluesy song.

I'll be honest: I love old-school Stapp, his voice deteriorated a bit but when mixed he still sounds awesome. I like baritones better and that's just me. But Myles is a hell of a singer: he has the skills, he's trained, he owns!!!

I don't understand why you complain about the "oohhs" when Stapp used to sing "yeaahs", though.

I've always said that "oohs" and "yeahs" are to fill voids when writers didn't know what to write! LOL! Even Submersed has a lot of yeahs too. But it's all good!

The Lithium
08-04-2004, 10:33 AM
The album is totally unCreedish, and almost better! :eek:

goddess_bb
08-04-2004, 12:20 PM
I am so behind the times here but I finally heard OYE and actually it exceeded my expectations..Mark's guitar work is awesome and I think Myle's voice will grow on me.. I don't think they sound like Creed at all and I am so glad. I was really disappointed in Creed's 3rd album so I actually think what has happened will make them better artists.. it sounds like some ppl need to accept that CREED IS OVER!!

Shadow
08-04-2004, 01:44 PM
it sounds like some ppl need to accept that CREED IS OVER!!
After hearing Scott's beautiful new song, I am sooooo over the Creed break-up. I will always love their music, but Scott can hold his own. He has proved that with Relearn Love.

Bridge of Clay
08-04-2004, 01:52 PM
After hearing Scott's beautiful new song, I am sooooo over the Creed break-up. I will always love their music, but Scott can hold his own. He has proved that with Relearn Love.

He can do on his own with his lyrics and his singing... but with the music backing him up I was kinda disappointed... but I'll only judge when his first real solo single comes out.

And I do miss Creed yet.

SCOTTSMYMAN
08-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Well, it's been a verry looong time since I've posted here. I'm currently listening to the new album on VH1. ~Open Your Eyes~ has grown on me some more. AB is definitely not CREED! The sound is very different and I'm soo glad to be hearing Mark play some heavier stuff. They have exceeded my expectations because I really wasn't sure what to expect after hearing the first single. I'm very much liking the heavier sound. I'm such a Scott addicted but Myles has a great voice and I like the range in it. ~In Loving Memory~ is a great song and I can see Scott singing it too. I will definitely be picking up this album.

:crying: I miss Creed,too!!!

WeatheredWoman
08-04-2004, 04:38 PM
KRIS!!! :syncdance

Missed you badly... So great to see you again!! :hugs:

I second every word that you just said! I dig Alter Bridge a whole lot better than I expected. But after hearing both, AB and our beloved Scott, I just realized how much I miss CREED even more... I thought I was "over" it... :confused:

jurquiza
08-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Hey jurquiza! Just wanted to let you know your cd rocks! :) Hope you're doing good.

Hey farmgirl,

Thanks for the post. We're doing good. We're getting some area play in our area and around Iowa and Illinois. Hopefully good things will happen. Good to hear from ya.

Shadow
08-04-2004, 10:49 PM
He can do on his own with his lyrics and his singing... but with the music backing him up I was kinda disappointed... but I'll only judge when his first real solo single comes out.

And I do miss Creed yet.
Marcos, I will always miss Creed. But it has gotten much easier for me now that I know Scott can do solo and do it well! I loved Creed for the songs and for Scott's voice. With Relearn Love, we have Scott back and I am thrilled.

I just didn't get that satisfaction with AB. I guess it's because I really, really missed Scott's voice.

farmgirl
08-05-2004, 07:59 AM
Hey farmgirl,

Thanks for the post. We're doing good. We're getting some area play in our area and around Iowa and Illinois. Hopefully good things will happen. Good to hear from ya.

You're welcome Jose! :) I'm glad you guys are getting some air play and if you come to Wisconsin, I'll be there. :D I'm sure good things will happen for you...you have alot of talent.

ttyl
Rose

The Lithium
08-06-2004, 01:40 PM
I just didn't get that satisfaction with AB. I guess it's because I really, really missed Scott's voice.

I think that too, and I don't think you even want to like either AB or Myles. (Just my thought, I might be wrong, but to me it seems like many Stapp diehards wants to hate AB)

The Lithium
08-06-2004, 01:43 PM

I think his solo record will be better, and I also expected more, but Relearn Love have really growen in me, and it's a great message.

Shadow
08-06-2004, 02:27 PM
I think that too, and I don't think you even want to like either AB or Myles. (Just my thought, I might be wrong, but to me it seems like many Stapp diehards wants to hate AB)
Lith, that's not the fact at all. I wanted to like AB. Mark and Scott had meant so much to each other, best friends, brothers. I had every intention of getting the CD.

But in all honestly, and especially after hearing the AB album, I got so turned off by Myles. I thought the music was great. In Loving Memory - the lyrics are beautiful - but I think Myles singing ruined the song. JMO.

And, I don't know if you have heard any of AB's comments this week from the interviews they have been doing - but it's starting all over again. When it comes to Scott they should say NOTHING! They made a comment about him in regard to Chicago, made a comment about WAWO. It sure hasn't taken them long to forget where they came from and who helped get them to where they are now. If Mark has a problem with WAWO then he should return the Grammy.

I could go on and on about this, but I really don't want to start an argument with anyone. Everyone has their own opinions. I am not against AB. I'm just more for Scott.

The Lithium
08-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I respect that. After what happened at PBF I've started to maybe... Watch my words before I say something... I don't really think I did something wrong at PBF, but it went wrong anyway...

If you say so, of course I believe you, but I'd like to read/hear that interview... I've been pretty much catching them all and I just think they're straight about it. To me it seems that, (it's breaking my heart to say this), but Stapp is sort of is to blame for the break up. Of course he didn't ment to, but I just think Mark and Flip are being straight about it and telling the fans the truth, and I believe them more than the Stapp fans.

hayley
08-06-2004, 08:41 PM
But in all honestly, and especially after hearing the AB album, I got so turned off by Myles. I thought the music was great. In Loving Memory - the lyrics are beautiful - but I think Myles singing ruined the song. JMO.
Really? Why is that? I'm just curious. Is it because it's basically Mark's song, dedicated to Mark's mother? And Myles singing it takes out the feeling? That's what I'm thinking it will do to me, but I guess I will have to wait and see when I hear it.

Shadow
08-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Really? Why is that? I'm just curious. Is it because it's basically Mark's song, dedicated to Mark's mother? And Myles singing it takes out the feeling? That's what I'm thinking it will do to me, but I guess I will have to wait and see when I hear it.
Hi Hayley.
When you hear In Loving Memory, you will know what I mean. The words brought tears to my eyes. Mark did a great job with the lyrics.

But, to me, Myles voice is just tooo cold for that type of song, it's just not *warm* enough. He doesn't have that passion. It just makes the song sound cold. His voice does not do the song justice. I am in no way comparing this to Scott either. I can't even picture him singing this song.

The Lithium
08-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Hayley, I'm sure you'll love it, you're one of those persons that is open for both Stapp and AB, just as I am. I'm not saying that Robyn is not, but she's much more into Stapp than AB. But after hearing this record Myles is at least as good as Stapp!!

I have to say I respect, but disagree with Robyn's option to 110%!! Mark HAVE done a great job, yes, but Myles sings this with such a passion no one could do it better, and I don't think this song is supposed to be warm. I don't think Stapp sings MOP worm, it's cold, but it matches the words and the song. This is the same thing!

I think Myles is really the right man for Alter Bridge!! And actually I got a feeling you will agree with my option more than Robyn's after what I've heard you say about AB and Myles!! Just listen to what Myles does in the end of Find The Real!!! :eek:

Shadow
08-06-2004, 09:43 PM
I'm not saying that Robyn is not, but she's much more into Stapp than AB.
Yes, you are right. But I DID give AB a chance and listen to the CD.

The Lithium
08-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Yes, you listened to it, but I'm not the one to tell if you gave them a fair chance... It's too bad you don't like AB, I think, but yes, they are totally different from Creed, that's what this thread is about. We all got to this board for our love to Creed, and I have choosen to join the Alter Bridge boards we well.

aussiecreeder
08-07-2004, 05:50 AM
i agee with lith and don't think he sounds cold at all. he does a great job vocally on this record i think and live the experience will be great as he adds a second VERY competent guitarist to the band. that is something that creed lacked although i'm curious to see how stapp's guitar abilites have come along. is he up to playing for extended periods these days?

next AB album is the one though when myles is more likely to write most of the lyrics (or more than this one) and then he'll be passionately behind the lyrics 100% if he is not already.

The Lithium
08-07-2004, 06:59 AM
He is passionately behind the lyrics to 110%!!

aussiecreeder
08-07-2004, 01:04 PM
He is passionately behind the lyrics to 110%!!

seriously it can't be the easiest thing to sing lyrics you didn't write even if you did co-write some of them. i've noticed a small difference but a difference nonetheless in comparison to mayfield four's second skin for instance. its barely there and he sings with passion but its just detectable. ODR is simply amazing but the next album should be even better. flip will grow even more (his drumming has improved out of sight) and myles will write more both musically and lyrically which can only be a good thing.

WhatsUrCreed
08-07-2004, 05:12 PM
PLease lets not get outta hand here...I agree...ODR is a decent effort at a good album...it doesnt compare to what creed took 10 years to achieve...

As for Myles...he needs to write his own lyrics...or at least have some imput into the songs...you cant pretend to have passion for the words you are singing...and lets not jump the gun about an Alter Bridge second album...you never know what may happen

Trees of Wisdom
08-07-2004, 08:45 PM
PLease lets not get outta hand here...I agree...ODR is a decent effort at a good album...it doesnt compare to what creed took 10 years to achieve...

As for Myles...he needs to write his own lyrics...or at least have some imput into the songs...you cant pretend to have passion for the words you are singing...and lets not jump the gun about an Alter Bridge second album...you never know what may happen

Alter Bridge is a more mature Creed and with an upgrade for leadsinger.

Myles just owns Scott Stapp. Scott has no range and always suffers from throat problems. Scott also isn't as good at guitar as Myles is and Scott is just an ego maniac and has way too many issues for the other members to deal with.

aussiecreeder
08-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Alter Bridge is a more mature Creed and with an upgrade for leadsinger.

Myles just owns Scott Stapp. Scott has no range and always suffers from throat problems. Scott also isn't as good at guitar as Myles is and Scott is just an ego maniac and has way too many issues for the other members to deal with.

scott does have some range and his voice was awesome up until the american legs of the weathered tour. saying that i agree that AB is better than Creed ever was. the music is so more mature, the muscianship is much better (man flip has gone up a couple of notches) and kennedy is a better singer than stapp and the only people i've seen on the net disagree is on such sites as this. neutral opinion has AB being better than Creed by a fair margin, surely that must count for something.

Trees of Wisdom
08-07-2004, 09:10 PM
scott does have some range and his voice was awesome up until the american legs of the weathered tour. saying that i agree that AB is better than Creed ever was. the music is so more mature, the muscianship is much better (man flip has gone up a couple of notches) and kennedy is a better singer than stapp and the only people i've seen on the net disagree is on such sites as this. neutral opinion has AB being better than Creed by a fair margin, surely that must count for something.

Scott yelled too much. He isn't too much of a technical vocalist. Hence the "yarling" he does. Scott only used his throat and that killed him.

All hail to Myles and Mark and Flip's new venture!

Dogstar
08-07-2004, 09:16 PM
... and lets not jump the gun about an Alter Bridge second album...you never know what may happen
Nobody's jumping the gun. Some of us have heard what he did with the Mayfield Four and on that alone, I think his input will have an impact on the next album, if there is one. I, for one, am very interested in what I hope will be another album.

aussiecreeder
08-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Scott yelled too much. He isn't too much of a technical vocalist. Hence the "yarling" he does. Scott only used his throat and that killed him.

All hail to Myles and Mark and Flip's new venture!

he's vastly different to myles for instance. he didn't grow up in bands and receive training and the technical side was picked up along the way. anyhow in a more positive direction myles was a great writer for the mayfield four (second skin is proof) and if as i hope he writes more for the next album (a single is already planned for it that bluesy number) then it can even better than ODR which would mean this band would be unbelievably good.

I'mRational
08-07-2004, 11:02 PM
In the singing world, passion is nice, but it alone (especially when used to mask lack of ability) doesn't cut it.

Trees of Wisdom
08-08-2004, 12:24 AM
he's vastly different to myles for instance. he didn't grow up in bands and receive training and the technical side was picked up along the way. anyhow in a more positive direction myles was a great writer for the mayfield four (second skin is proof) and if as i hope he writes more for the next album (a single is already planned for it that bluesy number) then it can even better than ODR which would mean this band would be unbelievably good.

I'm not sure if Myles should write lyrics or not, since Mark has done such a good job so far. You don't mess with success.

Dogstar
08-08-2004, 12:41 AM
I'm not sure if Myles should write lyrics or not, since Mark has done such a good job so far. You don't mess with success.
The lyrics for AB have been hit or miss, IMO, so I think it would be good if they collaborated on the next album. Myles wrote some pretty decent stuff for the Mayfield Four.

WhatsUrCreed
08-08-2004, 01:43 AM
i dunno....personally i do not think AB can ever achieve the success that Creed once had but I am interested in seeing if I can be proven wrong. Nonetheless I am buying the AB cd...for collections sake

Trees of Wisdom
08-08-2004, 02:04 AM
i dunno....personally i do not think AB can ever achieve the success that Creed once had but I am interested in seeing if I can be proven wrong. Nonetheless I am buying the AB cd...for collections sake

Alter Bridge would not sell as much as Creed because Alter Bridge don't have an image. Creed had the christian image that helped them sell a lot.

Even if Alter Bridge doesn't sell as much as Creed did, they will still have gotten more respect than Creed ever did, and that's what I think makes all the more important.

hayley
08-08-2004, 02:30 AM
But, to me, Myles voice is just tooo cold for that type of song, it's just not *warm* enough. He doesn't have that passion.
I do understand what you mean when you say not having the passion. So this has nothing to do with the fact that Myles is singing a song that is close to Marks heart, and is about his mother?

Hayley, I'm sure you'll love it
I'll take your word for it. :D

you're one of those persons that is open for both Stapp and AB, just as I am.
Yes, damn straight I am. :)

but Myles sings this with such a passion no one could do it better, and I don't think this song is supposed to be warm. I don't think Stapp sings MOP worm, it's cold, but it matches the words and the song.
Wow, you and Shadow have very different opinions. Obviously this is hard for me to judge because I havent heard the song, but I will defenitly come back to this thread when I have heard the song myself, lol.
And about MOP, it's not a warm album. It's a cold, hard, brutal, beautiful album. There is no warmness to the album at all, and that's what it is supposed to be like. It is very cold in a humble way.

ODR is a decent effort at a good album...it doesnt compare to what creed took 10 years to achieve...
No offense, but I think it's stupid how you can compare Creed and Alter Bridge like that. They only have one album, for goodness sakes. Creed have 3, and had been around for a decade. It's just unfair to compare like you just have.

you cant pretend to have passion for the words you are singing...
That's right. I think that if Myles didn't feel the pasion for that song, he wouldn't have sung it, and he wouldn't have been the one singing on the album for that song. So that goes to show, that he does feel the passion, the feeling, and the song is right for him.

Alter Bridge would not sell as much as Creed because Alter Bridge don't have an image. Creed had the christian image that helped them sell a lot.
Oh man. :nono: Alter Bridge don't have an image yet because they are barley out in the industry! And what do you mean "Creed had the chritian image" Dude, they had no christian image, as far as I saw them. What helped them sell alot was because fans saw the amazing music that they were releasing, and wanted to hear more. Not because of a christian image at all.

Trees of Wisdom
08-08-2004, 02:35 AM
Alter Bridge's first video wasn't gimmicky at all, which is a good thing. I think they've joined Audioslave and Velvet Revolver as the best bands out right now.

Creed had religious symbolism in their lyrics and in their videos. And Stapp's christ poses weren't helping, either. A large crowd of christians bought their music, not that that's bad, but I would prefer a rock band to not have a very flashy image as Creed did.

Alter Bridge is a good way to start it all over. And be all about the rock. Rock on! :jam:

aussiecreeder
08-08-2004, 02:56 AM
Alter Bridge's first video wasn't gimmicky at all, which is a good thing. I think they've joined Audioslave and Velvet Revolver as the best bands out right now.

Creed had religious symbolism in their lyrics and in their videos. And Stapp's christ poses weren't helping, either. A large crowd of christians bought their music, not that that's bad, but I would prefer a rock band to not have a very flashy image as Creed did.

Alter Bridge is a good way to start it all over. And be all about the rock. Rock on! :jam:

religious symbolism is not a bad thing at all and U2 have large christian fanbase. i like what AB have done and have a more grass roots image, very smart move.

hayley
08-08-2004, 04:11 AM
Creed had religious symbolism in their lyrics and in their videos. And Stapp's christ poses weren't helping, either.
That's true, I agree with you there. But it's just so easy for people to blow everything out of proportion, I mean one Christ pose from Stapp and, "Oh my God, Creed are a christan band!" It's just stupid, and it still gets me angry to this day.

i like what AB have done and have a more grass roots image, very smart move.
What does "grass roots" mean?

aussiecreeder
08-08-2004, 07:47 AM
That's true, I agree with you there. But it's just so easy for people to blow everything out of proportion, I mean one Christ pose from Stapp and, "Oh my God, Creed are a christan band!" It's just stupid, and it still gets me angry to this day.

What does "grass roots" mean?

oh sorry grass roots must be aussie slang which i never realised.

down to earth?
not pompous?
down with the people?
connected with the fans?

TremontiRx
08-08-2004, 09:09 AM
If you want to continue to compare Alter Bridge to Creed ( :suave: ), then at least look at it this way. When Creed was at the point in their career that AB is at now, did they have a song charting at Bilboard, a video charting at VH1, message boards abuzz online, etc....without even having released a CD yet?

Yes, I realize that AB has a history that Creed lacked, but for some to say that AB will never succeed like Creed did is ludicrous. There's simply no way to know that. Based on what they've achieved so far, they're outpacing Creed by a longshot.

Now I know that my comparison is ridiculous, but so are all the others. Why does it have to be such a contest?

Ann Allusion
08-08-2004, 12:00 PM
If you want to continue to compare Alter Bridge to Creed ( ), then at least look at it this way. When Creed was at the point in their career that AB is at now, did they have a song charting at Bilboard, a video charting at VH1, message boards abuzz online, etc....without even having released a CD yet?

Creed was A NEW BAND when they started...they had all all the misgivings and the struggles that everyone starting out has to face to take themselves where they wanted to go...AB is like a kid that was born with a silver spoon in their mouth...they don't need to struggle, they have already shown their work as Creed...and already have a following...something that Creed built one fan at a time from total scratch.

as you said, TRX, your compairison is "rediculous" to say the least...people knew going out of the gate that no matter how much AB would say they were a NEW BAND...that they would still be held to their past connections with Creed....and if they didn't realize that these compairisons were going to be made...then that was due to their own ignorance.

Compairisons will continue...whether some people like it or not...time will tell if AB will surpass Creed or not...more than likely, they will be well known for what they do as AB eventually, and i wish good luck to them...but by all appearences...they are still living off their pervious incarnation as Creed...something that Creed didn't have the luxury of doing.

WeatheredWoman
08-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Great post Ann! I second every word of it... :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'mRational
08-08-2004, 12:42 PM
AB won't have the same mainstream success that Creed had for one big reason. I'll use an example to begin with. Dream Theater: the greatest prog metal band that has graced this earth has a large cult following but almost zero mainstream recognition. Why? Their music is so difficult to play that it is appealing only to a fan base that is very selective - 90% of the fan base are musicians.

Now, AB isn't prog, but the musicianship is far grander than anything else on radio, the music is much more mature, and the abilities of the musicians outdo their peers played on hard rock radio. AB's fan base is naturally going to become more selective than the Creed fan base. AB is going to be successful, they will sell well, but their music will not be as digestable on radio as Stapp's music.

TremontiRx
08-09-2004, 01:14 PM
Wow 'Ann'....you managed to make the same points I did, only you took twice the number of words to do so.

Like I said originally, it's ridiculous to compare. Move along.

The Lithium
08-10-2004, 07:07 AM
seriously it can't be the easiest thing to sing lyrics you didn't write even if you did co-write some of them.

Makr wrote many of the Creed lyrics. Such as Torn and most parts of What's This Life For. I don't think Stapp had a problem singing those!!