Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Cussing- A Sin or Not? [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Cussing- A Sin or Not?

allison
09-26-2002, 01:00 PM
Question: Is cussing, in and of itself, a sin?

Clarification #1: I do not mean taking the Lord's name in vain like, "GD".

Clarification #2: Let's assume that the said cussing does not hurt anyone in any way (like calling someone an asshole might hurt their feelings, for ex.).

I was debating this with my dad last night. He says it is a sin. I am not positive, but I don't think so. Can anyone think of a reason it is a sin? Like if I stub my toe and say, "SHIT!", what is wrong with that?

Lady Valkyrie
09-26-2002, 01:29 PM
I am assuming that you are referring to it as sin against the God of the Holy Bible. If that is the case then the Bible clearly states...

Ephesians 4
28) If you are a thief, stop stealing. Begin using your hands for honest work, and then give generously to others in need. 29) Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.
30) And do not bring sorrow to God's Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he is the one who has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption.

Every culture, generation, and era have their own types of slang words... some are mildly negative, some are positive, some are just plain foul and nasty. No matter what culture, generation, or era one lives in... if one is a Christian then one needs to obey what the Holy Bible states.

Dogstar
09-26-2002, 07:57 PM
Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone. No one is perfect.

TeriB19
09-26-2002, 08:07 PM
I curse. I don't think it's a sin. Dogstar is right, no one is perfect.

Altair
09-26-2002, 08:29 PM
Lady's quote from the bible makes an important distinction. Her quote says, "don't use foul or abusive language..."

According to my semantics, it's not the word in particular, but how the word is used. It all depends on how it comes from your heart; the intention. "Toad" can be used in a sinful way if it is meant to be abusive. For instance, you might call someone a fat toad in an argument. In this case, the intention is abusive and that would be sinful since the purpose is to hurt someone's feelings. However, if you say, "What a beautiful toad on that lilipad," then, obviously, the intention is altogether different.

Likewise, with cusswords (as we know them), the same should apply. Someone might be in an argument and say, "Fuck you, asshole!" Now, obviously, that is quite abusive in the intention and, therefore, sinful against the spirit. However, in a different context, it might not be. For instance, one might say, "Oh fuck, that was funny. So funny, it tickled my asshole." Now, obviously, there is no intent here to abuse anyone, and, to any rational human, this is not foul, but simply referring to objective matters and subjective (good) feelings.

Take it for what it is. If it feels good and is good in intentions, and taken in good spirit, then how can it be a sin? Beats the shit out of me. :D

TeriB19
09-26-2002, 08:31 PM
That was pretty damn funny, and I agree with that shit 100%. As long as the intention is not to be hurtful to others, I don't think it's a sin.

souldancer
09-26-2002, 08:47 PM
Altair, that was like major *#&(*&(@ funny! You should teach high school - they would love your story telling and examples. Hell, I don't believe that cussing, without the context of inflicting harm to self or others, is bad at all. We are a verbal communicators, damn it, and it adds to our expressiveness and a little release. However, there are extreme cases that lead to vulgarity, but I don't think that is what you mean here. SO, Allison, are you going to go back and talk to your dad about this posting?! ;)

TeriB19
09-26-2002, 08:51 PM
I hope he doesn't wash her mouth out with soap!:)

Lady Valkyrie
09-26-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by TeriB19
That was pretty damn funny, and I agree with that shit 100%. As long as the intention is not to be hurtful to others, I don't think it's a sin.

That was really quite funny, and I agree with that opinion 100%.

See how I said the very same thing you did... and I didn't have to cuss at all. :D

Altair
09-26-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Lady Valkyrie
That was really quite funny, and I agree with that opinion 100%.

See how I said the very same thing you did... and I didn't have to cuss at all. :D

And, you are absolutely correct. Your meaning was identical in nature, and that is all that matters. You see, we cannot decide for others how they accept our words. Some might take offense at the way you said it as much as the way she said it. I know one person in particular who cannot stand it when others use the word "really" in there sentences. It makes them angry because of its overused nature. So, there you go.

We can get so nitpicky that anything can be sinful from a certain persepective.

TeriB19
09-26-2002, 09:11 PM
Absolutely right. Thanks.

Dogstar
09-26-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Altair
<b>Lady's quote from the bible makes an important distinction. &nbsp;Her quote says, "don't use foul or abusive language..."

... with cusswords (as we know them), the same should apply. &nbsp;Someone might be in an argument and say, "Fuck you, asshole!" &nbsp;Now, obviously, that is quite abusive in the intention and, therefore, sinful against the spirit. &nbsp;However, in a different context, it might not be. &nbsp;For instance, one might say, "Oh fuck, that was funny. &nbsp;So funny, it tickled my asshole." &nbsp;Now, obviously, there is no intent here to abuse anyone, and, to any rational human, this is not foul, but simply referring to objective matters and subjective (good) feelings.

Take it for what it is. &nbsp;If it feels good and is good in intentions, and taken in good spirit, then how can it be a sin? &nbsp;Beats the shit out of me. &nbsp;:D </b>
I am laughing my freakin' ass off, Altair. And I freakin' agree with you big-time.

TeriB19
09-26-2002, 10:44 PM
Freakin A!!!!!

Dogstar
09-26-2002, 10:46 PM
LMAO!! again. I'm at work. I'm going to get in trouble if I don't watch out:D

TeriB19
09-26-2002, 10:50 PM
Just try not to laugh too hard to attract attention to yourself.

Lady Valkyrie
09-27-2002, 07:08 AM
The point I'm trying to convey is this... why use those particular words that society says are cusswords. Example...

<b>"I am laughing my freakin' ass off, Altair. And I freakin' agree with you big-time."</b>

I am laughing my bum (or butt) off, Altair. And I so agree with you big-time.

I just don't see why a person needs to use cuss words at all. Why do you feel the need to use words that society as a whole sees as negative?

I can understand what Altair is saying about any word can be negative, depending on the person. Personally I use the word "freakin'" a lot. My children all have picked up on it. My eldest son was repremanded in school for useing this word. They said that the word is no better than the work "fuckin'" and that children shouldn't use this word at all. They even had enough guts to tell me that I need to set a better example for my children to look up to. So I had to teach myself and my children not to say "freakin'" in the school setting. I've also changed my opinions on the subject since then. I try not to substitute cuss words with a cheap rip-off such as "God Dammit!" with "Gosh-Dangit" or "Oh shit!" with "Oh crap!". I just feel that the English Language is large enough to convey your exact feelings without using cuss words or cheap rip offs of the cuss word.

And Altair... no offence, but if that person is REALLY getting upset over the overuse of the word REALLY... I think they need some counseling. I know people on certain boards who habitually correct spelling of others. That is indeed nit-picking, and they are the ones who have a problem... not the ones who use the word "really" or accidentally type the wrong letter by accident. Some people are just too picky and those people are to be ignored. lol No offence meant to you or your friend, though.

Siana
09-27-2002, 08:45 AM

agree

allison
09-27-2002, 08:57 AM
Altair-I think you hit the nail square on the head.

Since I don't always take the Bible in literally (b/c I don't think it's always appropriate), I have to find another way to determine if an action is a sin. The main way is my conscience, which usually tells me if it is or not, but for those times when it's not immediately clear to me (like cussing), I usually try to determine if the action would hurt myself or anyone else (that includes all feeling beings, i.e., animals). So if it doesn't hurt anyone, I don't think it's a sin.

Yes, I am definitely going to revive the debate between my dad and me. That's one of the reasons I created this thread - I wanted to see what other people thought - and I know there are alot of intelligent people here.

Altair
09-27-2002, 10:37 AM
WARNING: Extensive cussing below.

Lady, your point is well made, and I believe you are right. There is no need to use "cuss" words when meaning can be conveyed in a different, more civilized way, especially and particularly when use of such words might offend others. So, we must keep in mind whom our audience is when speaking.

When I worked as a laborer at a gold mine in Northern Nevada, I was around quite the population of excessive cussers. Being the 20 year old punk I was at the time, cussing was no problem for me. However, these miners took it all to a new level that amazed even me. I fuckin mean they would fuckin use the fuckin word fuckin for almost every fuckin thing you could fuckin think about. The shit absolutely blew me afuckin way. It didn't fuckin matter what the fuckin hell these fuckin bastards were fuckin talkin about, whether it be fuckin pussy, dick, good fuckin food, bitches, assholes, or just fuckin plain fuckin work, there strayed not one fuckin sentence that the word fuckin was fuckin absent from.

It was their lingo, their way of communicating, their freedom of expression, their right to do so, and the whole lot of them were happy. Interestingly, most of them could turn it off once off of work. Quite unusual.

souldancer
09-27-2002, 10:53 AM
The point I'm trying to convey is this... why use those particular words that society says are cusswords.
"society says"?! Whose society? An interpretation of the Bible? Imagine if instead of narrowing our thoughts to 'points' we began to broaden our views to encompass something larger

** she types...deletes.....remembers she was going to stay off this thread.....recalls that she is fickle ...types...deletes...steps away to ask for guidance **

allison
09-27-2002, 11:24 AM
I just feel that the English Language is large enough to convey your exact feelings without using cuss words or cheap rip offs of the cuss word.

This is a little off the subject of cussing, but I totally disagree. There are SO MANY times when there are not words to express the way I am feeling. And I have a decent vocabulary, so that's not the problem. Doesn't anyone else ever feel that way? How could a language that's limits are finite (which all languages are) be sufficient for expressing human emotions, as vast and deep as they are? Take the word "love" for instance - I quite dislike that that is the only word we have to express the many levels and magnitudes of extreme positive feeling for someone or something. I just think the English language, and I would think all languages, are very inadequate.

Altair
09-27-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by allison
I just think the English language, and I would think all languages, are very inadequate.

Excellent point. I agree. Words can merely paint a picture.
Even photographs come short of reality.

"If a picture paints a thousand words,
then why can't I paint you?
The words will never show,
the you I've come to know."
Bread

TeriB19
09-27-2002, 08:59 PM
<b>Excellent point. &nbsp;I agree. &nbsp;Words can merely paint a picture.
Even photographs come short of reality.

"If a picture paints a thousand words,
then why can't I paint you?
The words will never show,
the you I've come to know."
Bread </b> That is an excellent point, and that is a great song to illustrate it.
If I had a really bad day at work, and my husband asks me about it, I feel better (like I'm blowing off steam) if I say "My really sucked! My boss dumped a load of shit on my desk at lunch time that took me all friggin afternoon to get through". Saying "my day was really bad and I had a lot of stuff on my desk to get through" just doesn't blow off the steam as much as the former. And it's not directed at anyone or hurting anyone's feelings.

Dogstar
09-27-2002, 09:04 PM
I'm with you, TeriB. Sometimes trying to be civilized about it only makes it harder for me to get it out of my system. I feel as if I'm not able to let it all out unless I can let loose with a few cuss words, mostly when I'm by myself. In my case, it also depends on the audience. It was as Atair said earlier, for some it's a way of communicating and does not offend at all.

TeriB19
09-27-2002, 09:07 PM
And it also heavily depends on who is around. I am usually careful not to curse around my co-workers (basically because we are about 6 feet from the customers gambling and it is TOTALLY inappropriate for language like that in front of the customers) and I never speak that way in front of my children.

Aimee
09-27-2002, 09:29 PM
My husband and I were driving home to Florida from Savannah where we were vacationing with family. My sister-in-law left her purse behind at a bar the night before, so they waited for the bar to open the next day while we drove back with her son in our car. This two year old was just beginning to learn lots of new words so, as we got on the road, I reminded my honey to watch what he says around the kid. He rolled his eyes at me. HIS nephew wouldn't swear just because he did!
One thing you need to know about me is that I rarely ever swear, unless I'm driving. Then, my mouth runneth over with stinky words that offend other drivers and make them move out of my lane. At least, that's the goal, even if the windows are rolled up. Well, you can see where this is going.
Halfway through the trip, I blurt out "Nice blinker fucker!" My husband's jaw dropped in my direction.
"Fucker! Fucker! Fucker!" The little bundle of joy in the back seat waved his toy around like mad and laughed as he repeated this foul word through squeals.
"That's not what I said, little man," I told him. "I said 'sucker'."
"Sucker! Sucker! Sucker!" He squealed waving his toy around even faster than before.
I tried to laugh quietly. I swear I did. "But that's not a nice thing to call someone." I told him. "And I shouldn't have said it. I'm sorry. You shouldn't say it either." He just smiled. I should have known...
TWO months later, at his Disney birthday party, little man ran toward me with a toy in his hand.
"Sucker! Sucker! Sucker!" You should have seen the look on his mommy's face.
:eek:
Hey at least it wasn't, "Nice blinker Fucker!"

Dogstar
09-27-2002, 09:36 PM
LOL, those little ones are like sponges, they pick up everything. A good way to illustrate the need to take your audience into account.

TeriB19
09-27-2002, 09:38 PM
Oh my God that's too funny. I know how the little ones are though, they are like tiny tape recorders. And it seems like they only pick up on the really bad words. You could say darn, heck, or dang around them until you are blue in the face. But if "shit" comes out of your mouth once, it will UNDOUBTEDLY come out of theirs 40 times in 4 seconds.

Lady Valkyrie
09-28-2002, 12:05 AM
I noticed that someone said that cussing is the only way they can get their emotions out. This is where I remind everyone... as so many have reminded me.... to open and expand your mind to other things. In other words find other ways to channel that negative energy. I may be a Christian but I still use some of the stuff that I learned when I was a pagan. I still meditate often. I learn that no matter where I am, who I am around to take a moment to go within myself and dig that negative energy out and let it go. Now I'm not perfect occassionally I do have a slip of the tongue. No human is perfect. But remember people... expand your mind ;)

Dogstar
09-28-2002, 12:25 AM
I have many ways besides cussing of getting my emotions out. It's just that on some occasions, mostly when I'm alone and not hurting anyone else, that letting a few escape my lips helps out.

TeriB19
09-28-2002, 01:00 PM
Same here. The occasional "oh shit" comes out when I am surprised by something, but it's not directed at someone in particular, just whatever surprised me.

souldancer
09-29-2002, 03:11 AM
I noticed that someone said that cussing is the only way they can get their emotions out. I missed the post where someone said that cussing is the ONLY WAY....however, i did see that a few people implied that cussing added expressiveness to their words to convey meaning/emotion/...life is not black or white...it is a big freakin rainbow! My apologies if I overlooked the post that you were referring to.

Dogstar
09-29-2002, 03:14 AM
I think she may have been referring to a previous post of mine. I said there are times when cussing seems to be the best way for me to express some emotions. I by all means did not mean it was the only way. In certain circumstances, yes, it does work best for me, usually when I'm by myself and no one's within earshot. In my mind, I'm not hurting anyone or sinning for that matter.

souldancer
09-29-2002, 03:45 AM
Dogstar, I understand and aggree with you. I just need to stay off this thread - tie a knot and jump to the next one. If you see me lurking nearby, please YELL at me to stay the hell away! It's OK - I give you permission to cuss. thanks!

Dogstar
09-29-2002, 03:49 AM
Profuse thanks. I should stay away, too. My mouth is always getting me into trouble. I need to quit while I'm behind. I'll look out for you, and you can look out for me.

souldancer
09-29-2002, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by souldancer
Dogstar, I understand and agree with you. &nbsp;I just need to stay off this thread &nbsp;- tie a knot and jump to the next one. &nbsp;If you see me lurking nearby, please YELL at me to stay the hell away! &nbsp;It's OK - I give you permission to cuss. &nbsp;thanks!

Dogstar
09-29-2002, 04:04 AM
Ok, I'm YELLING...you're LURKING....Now it's time for you to go away from here....I'll be right behind ya!

souldancer
09-29-2002, 04:06 AM
:eyes:

Dogstar
09-29-2002, 04:08 AM
LMFAO!!!

souldancer
09-29-2002, 04:25 AM
* * sneaks in, leaves a simple note, 'now was that "F" necessary?'...sneaks out ...* *

Dogstar
09-29-2002, 04:35 AM
But wait!! You gave me permission...Refer to previous post...lol...*am sneaking in and out as well*......Freakin A!!

souldancer
09-29-2002, 04:40 AM
Yes, but, Eve - did you have to pick the apple?!;) OK, I AM REALLY GOING NOW....

Dogstar
09-29-2002, 04:41 AM
OMG, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO laughing my fre***** a** off right now. You are toooooooooo funny. I love apples, by the way!

souldancer
09-29-2002, 04:49 AM
:angel:

TeriB19
09-29-2002, 01:10 PM
Stop this damn nonsense. This shit is too much. I'm getting pissed off (is that a curse?) Why the hell am I running my friggin mouth so damn much?*

*DISCLAIMER!!! The above post is the result of lack of sleep after an incredible Paul McCartney concert, and 2 very early rising children. No harm was intended. No animals were harmed in the making of this post.

BigBassDrummer
09-29-2002, 01:17 PM

You just said yourself that "no one is perfect"... implying that you DO think its a sin, because if you didn't, then you wouldn't bother comparing yourself to perfection. And just because no one is perfect doesn't mean its ok to sin... that's like saying, "I'm not perfect and I'll be forgiven, so its ok to murder this guy..." Granted, cussing isn't quite as drastic as murder, but its still the same principle.

TeriB19
09-29-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by BigBassDrummer
<b>You just said yourself that "no one is perfect"... implying that you DO think its a sin, because if you didn't, then you wouldn't bother comparing yourself to perfection. And just because no one is perfect doesn't mean its ok to sin... that's like saying, "I'm not perfect and I'll be forgiven, so its ok to murder this guy..." Granted, cussing isn't quite as drastic as murder, but its still the same principle. </b> Um, no I did not imply that cursing is a sin. Perhaps a bad habit, but nowhere near a sin. Please do not take it upon yourself to tell me what I think.

Altair
09-29-2002, 01:33 PM
All things are as they should be. Good and bad existing in perfect harmony. There is no imperfection in this reality. What, do you think God would create a reality that is not perfect, that has flaws, that is fucked up? Spare me. Your faith is lacking. But, that is perfectly alright, just as it should be. It's all part of this grand illusion and nothing to worry about. Turn the page and play this perfect game of life my friends. It's all good. Wait, maybe it's all bad. Nah, it just is.

TeriB19
09-29-2002, 01:37 PM
All things are as they should be. &nbsp;Good and bad existing in perfect harmony. &nbsp;There is no imperfection in this reality. &nbsp;What, do you think God would create a reality that is not perfect, that has flaws, that is fucked up? &nbsp;Spare me. &nbsp;Your faith is lacking. &nbsp;But, that is perfectly alright, just as it should be. &nbsp;It's all part of this grand illusion and nothing to worry about. &nbsp;Turn the page and play this perfect game of life my friends. &nbsp;It's all good. &nbsp;Wait, maybe it's all bad. &nbsp;Nah, it just is. I can honestly say, I have no idea what you just said, and no idea what it means. But that's okay. It's all part of the grand illusion, and deep inside we're all the same.

Dogstar
09-29-2002, 01:49 PM
Stop this damn nonsense. This shit is too much. I'm getting pissed off (is that a curse?) Why the hell am I running my friggin mouth so damn much?*

*DISCLAIMER!!! &nbsp; The above post is the result of lack of sleep after an incredible Paul McCartney concert, and 2 very early rising children. No harm was intended. No animals were harmed in the making of this post.

LMAO over and over!

TeriB19
09-29-2002, 01:51 PM
:coffee: Thank you. Had I had this smilie before maybe that last post could have been avoided, but I just found it.

Dogstar
09-29-2002, 01:52 PM
BigBassDrummer, I don't think perfection is function of sinning or not sinning. It's as TeriB said, a bad habit maybe, but not a sin.

TeriB19
09-29-2002, 01:54 PM
Ok, here are 2 examples. One (to me is a sin) and the other (to me is not):

I say to my co-worker: You fucking asshole, you spilled coffee all over my paperwork and I have to start all over again.

To me that is a sin because it directly offends another.

I say to myself: You fucking asshole, if you had gotten up 10 minutes earlier, you wouldn't have missed that bus.

To me that is NOT a sin because I'm only disrespecting myself. Can you sin against yourself?

souldancer
09-29-2002, 02:38 PM
Isn't life wonderful - that so many crazy people with varying persepectives on life and with strong to light opinions can post at varying times - from all around cyber space to share, discuss, cuss, laugh, cathart, quote, philosophize (? word)? I LOVE IT! DAMN, It's refreshing to feel alive - even though this feeling may only be a moment. I am enjoying it and all of ya darn people. :) And, let me end with a very deep thought about Life...<i>"What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?!"</i>

TeriB19
09-29-2002, 02:45 PM
Then I'd have to put my right foot in, take my right foot out, put my right foot in and shake it all about, Dammit!:)

Lady Valkyrie
09-29-2002, 07:12 PM
It seems that some of you... who will remain nameless... seem to like to make fun of those who think that cussing is wrong to do. I never once came out and said that cussing is a sin. All I did was quote the HOLY BIBLE... The Holy Bible is for those who are Christians... those who follow Jesus Christ... if one is a Christian and believes in the Holy Bible, then wouldn't one want to follow and obey what the Bible says? I sure do. Am I perfect? No. Will I ever be? Not on this Earth. It seems that people on this board continueally runs to and fro screaming at everyone to be tolerant of everyone's beliefs and opinions... yet they themselves belittle and poke fun of other's beliefs. My viewpoint was from the Christian point of view... a Christian who believe all of the Bible and tries her best to obey God, that is. So please I ask that you show me the same respect that you expect from everyone else. It's not like I am expecting a Non-Christian to obey God and apply the Holy Bible to their own lives. *sighs*:(

TeriB19
09-29-2002, 07:17 PM
Maybe I am the only one who thinks this, and if I am than I guess I am the minority, but I really think you need to lighten up a little, Lady V. This board is suppose to be light, fun and entertaining, and now I'm starting to feel like I'm being given a guilt trip by you because I don't exactly follow everything the Holy Bible says I should do. Am I perfect? Hell no, very far from it, in fact. But this whole going back and forth with you has ceased to be light, fun or entertaining. I went through 12 years of Catholic school with 12 years of nuns driving things into my head that I later questioned. I don't need another lesson on the Holy Bible from you. I totally respect the fact that you follow the Holy Bible, but please stop shoving it down my throat at every post.

Altair
09-30-2002, 02:33 AM
Am I perfect? No. Will I ever be? Not on this Earth.

Why do we trip on this idea of perfection? You are who you are and can never be anything else. You're beautiful, a beautiful creation capable of such wonderful dreams and experiences, good and bad. It's all a part of the big picture. So, are you perfect? Who cares. You're you, beautiful, special, unique, and caring beyond imagination. To me, that is perfect.

Dogstar
09-30-2002, 02:49 AM
Lady V, you say you want your views to be respected, but your whole tone reeks of intolerance and contempt for anyone else's beliefs. By endlessly quoting the Bible, which not everyone follows or even believes in, you are condemning them or judging them. I know we will never agree on this, but I truly believe there are many paths to God. As I have said before, how could a just God turn away good souls who have the spirit of God in their hearts? It just doesn't wash.
No one is out to belittle anyone's views, and I respect that Christianity is your chosen path. It is one of many to God, IMHO. But please show a little more respect for others beliefs.
I'm with TeriB, this is getting too much like the Catholic indoctrination I endured for too many years.

Lady Valkyrie
09-30-2002, 07:23 AM
IMHO I think some of you are now sounding a bit hypocritical LMBO!! I quote Bible scripture because some of you were complaining on the old board that anyone with an opinion better have something to back up our views. "Don't be pulling things out of your ass without backing it up with something"... or something to that effect was told to some people. I back up what I believe with the Holy Bible. I surely don't want anyone to accuse me of pulling things out of my rear. LOL There is a reason why I believe the way I do... it's because I am a Christian. I believe what the Bible says and I apply it to my life as best that I can. And for those who feel "guilty" because I quote the Bible... well I'll be praying for you. I haven't once shoved anything down anyone's throat. I state what I believe and back it up with scripture. That is explaining how one believes... not shoveing it down anyone's throat. I am truely sorry for those who have grown up in Catholisism. I have my reasons for not likeing the Catholic church, I won't state them here though. Also, the rest of the board is lighthearted and fun. Here is Faith/Religion things tend to be more serious in nature. For me Faith/Religion is something that isn't taken lightly. It is a serious lifestyle. Christians have fun and are lighthearted... just look at my posts in the other forums... however, when a serious topic is being discussed I am serious. May God bless each and everyone of you.

And Altair, that was a very beautiful thing that you just said. However, my Bible states that we have all fallen short of the glory of God, we are all not perfect and never will be. That is what I believe. I am a flawed creation. That is not the way it was at the beginning of mankind. It was when mankind first sinned that man became imperect. That is what I truely believe. However, I appreciate your attempt at sharing your beliefs. May you have a blessed day Altair.

Dogstar
09-30-2002, 12:18 PM
That is what I truely believe. However, I appreciate your attempt at sharing your beliefs. May you have a blessed day Altair.

Good Lord, Lady V, you just proved my point. I think it's unfair and condescending of you to call Altair's very valid beliefs an
"attempt at sharing". It's not some attempt, it is what Altair believes, probably as deeply as you believe.
We are not in any way hypocritical in questioning the Bible's role in our lives just because we are not special or fortunate enough in your eyes to be Christians. This is the arrogance of Christianity that frosts my cookies. And don't pity me for being raised Catholic. Because I was raised Catholic, it made me question and it led me to MY path to God.

souldancer
09-30-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Dogstar
I think it's unfair and condescending of you to call Altair's very valid beliefs an "attempt at sharing". It's not some attempt, it is what Altair believes, &nbsp;[/b] Thank you!
I try to :ignore: but, honestly I feel :confused: and :mad:

Unforgiven Fan
09-30-2002, 07:38 PM
<b>Lady's quote from the bible makes an important distinction. &nbsp;Her quote says, "don't use foul or abusive language..."

According to my semantics, it's not the word in particular, but how the word is used. &nbsp;It all depends on how it comes from your heart; the intention. &nbsp;"Toad" can be used in a sinful way if it is meant to be abusive. &nbsp;For instance, you might call someone a fat toad in an argument. &nbsp;In this case, the intention is abusive and that would be sinful since the purpose is to hurt someone's feelings. &nbsp;However, if you say, "What a beautiful toad on that lilipad," then, obviously, the intention is altogether different. &nbsp;

Likewise, with cusswords (as we know them), the same should apply. &nbsp;Someone might be in an argument and say, "Fuck you, asshole!" &nbsp;Now, obviously, that is quite abusive in the intention and, therefore, sinful against the spirit. &nbsp;However, in a different context, it might not be. &nbsp;For instance, one might say, "Oh fuck, that was funny. &nbsp;So funny, it tickled my asshole." &nbsp;Now, obviously, there is no intent here to abuse anyone, and, to any rational human, this is not foul, but simply referring to objective matters and subjective (good) feelings.

Take it for what it is. &nbsp;If it feels good and is good in intentions, and taken in good spirit, then how can it be a sin? &nbsp;Beats the shit out of me. &nbsp;:D </b>

now thats a good explanition.... :P :crest:

TeriB19
09-30-2002, 09:16 PM
<b>And for those who feel "guilty" because I quote the Bible... well I'll be praying for you. I haven't once shoved anything down anyone's throat. I state what I believe and back it up with scripture. That is explaining how one believes... not shoveing it down anyone's throat. </b> I did NOT say I was feeling guilty, I said you were trying to lay a guilt trip on us because we don't take literally every single thing in the Holy Bible. And don't tell me you aren't shoving your explanations down everyones throats, just look at your posts. You quote chapter and verse in 3/4 of your posts. Answer from your heart, not from your book. And thanks for the prayers. Maybe that's what's keeping me from losing my cool.:cool:

Lady Valkyrie
09-30-2002, 10:22 PM
The Bible is my heart every thing in that book is what I believe in my heart. so this whole time I have been quoting what is written in my heart. And the attempt I was referring to was the attempt that Altair was making to get me to believe that I was perfect. I do not believe that and I never will. I am not perfect and I believe no one on this earth is perfect. I will never believe as Altair believes. It is a beautiful thing that he believes in... I don't feel that it's the truth. I was merely thanking him for trying to swade me, persuade me, however you want to phrase it. I know his intentions were good... however I never will believe as he believes. I was thanking him for his efforts... simple as that. And I have not layed any guilt trip on anyone. Not at all. You people are still confusing pushing beliefs down one's throat with someone who is standing up for what they believe in and will not back down. Why does one have to be eternally changing their mind about philosophies of life to be accepted here. It's as though one must be willing to jump from one philosophy to another, one religion to another, to one way of thinking to another to be politically correct and accepted. I don't do the Baskin Robins of religions and philosophies thing where you try a different flavor every so often to appear tolerant of everyones way of thinking. I have chosen to be a follower of Jesus Christ for a lifetime. I believe what I believe and and I will not be swayed. I will listen to everyone's opinion however, just because you state your philosophies and religions doesn't mean I'm going to say "Hm, thank you for enlightening me you have totally changed my way of thinking and now I'm going to live as you live." That won't be happening... fortunately. I am rock steady in my beliefs. lol It's sad that true Christians are condemmed in this world for standing up for what they believe in.

TeriB19
09-30-2002, 10:36 PM
You people are still confusing pushing beliefs down one's throat with someone who is standing up for what they believe in and will not back down. Why does one have to be eternally changing their mind about philosophies of life to be accepted here. "We people" aren't confusing anything. "We people" are not asking you to back down. "We people" respect the fact that you are so strong in your beliefs, but I defy you to find any issue on which "we people" eternally change our minds about the philosophies of life. "We people" really do try to accept everyone that joins the bb with the exception of Creed bashers.

Unforgiven Fan
09-30-2002, 10:43 PM
Yeh what teri said...

Lady Valkyrie
09-30-2002, 11:09 PM
In just about every thread in this forum someone, somewhere along the line, always brings up that everyone must be open and willing to accept and respect everyones thoughts feelings and opinions. YOU PEOPLE make it seem as though one must say that everyone is right and no one is wrong and let's live in never never land. Give me a break! I do not think that everyone is right. I do not feel that there are many paths to God. I believe that there is only one way to God, through Jesus Christ. And for these beliefs that I hold I am labeled as intolerant... the very thing that you people are... intolerant of my beliefs. At least that is the way YOU PEOPLE are coming off as. I will listen to everyone however it doesn't mean that I should pat you on the head and say you are right and that I am right and that everyone is right.

Intolerance is Hitler killing the Jews, Intolerance is Communism, Intolerance is killing someone for their religious faith. Intolerance is not someone who will boldly say I believe this and this and you may believe that and that but I feel you are wrong. That is in reality a debate.

I am useing the Term "You People" in a loose and general term because I am too lazy/tired to go throw the crap load of replys to the 8 threads that are in this forum to find out exactly who said what.

Dogstar
10-01-2002, 12:40 AM
Well EXCUSE ME for stating MY BELIEF in being tolerant of others' opinions and beliefs. That is what I believe as strongly as you believe your path to God is the only path. I don't have to agree with them, but I sure as heck am not going to be a condescending and arrogant person when someone tries to come from a different perspective. You really don't have a clue. No one ever said that no one can ever be wrong. Give me a break. If anyone's living in never-never land it's you.

souldancer
10-01-2002, 04:57 AM
for these beliefs that I hold I am labeled as intolerant... intolerant
SYLLABICATION: in·tol·er·ant
PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: n-tlr-nt KEY
ADJECTIVE: Not tolerant, especially: a. Unwilling to tolerate differences in opinions, practices, or beliefs, especially religious beliefs. b. Opposed to the inclusion or participation of those different from oneself, especially those of a different racial, ethnic, or social background

allison
10-01-2002, 09:06 AM
I don't do the Baskin Robins of religions and philosophies thing where you try a different flavor every so often to appear tolerant of everyones way of thinking.

Didn't you say that you were Catholic, Wiccan, and Pagan at some point? And now you are? Those are all I can remember without re-reading all your posts. :confused:

allison
10-01-2002, 09:08 AM
<b>I am useing the Term "You People" in a loose and general term because I am too lazy/tired to go throw the crap load of replys to the 8 threads that are in this forum to find out exactly who said what. </b>

I think it's just that the term "you people" comes across as a little derogatory and condescending.
:dunno:

Lady Valkyrie
10-01-2002, 08:10 PM
I have never been a Catholic... and never will be. I said that I have been a Wiccan, have attended churches of many denominations such as pentecostal, Methodist, Baptists, and Catholic... but I have never been formally a member of any one denomination... denominations go against the original intent of the first century church. I am now a follower of Jesus Christ... I am a Christian. Also I never meant for the term "You People" to be taken as derrogatory or condescending. Sometimes we use terms as a general description... like... "They say that fat is bad for us." Who is "they"? You see what I mean? This is how I was using "you people."

Dogstar
10-01-2002, 08:16 PM
Sorry, not the same thing. "You people" implies an us vs. them mentality.

BigBassDrummer
10-04-2002, 10:18 PM
Lady V., I couldn't have said it better... everything you've said I TOTALLY agree with... this thread is a poll, btw. That means the entire purpose of it is to give your own opinion and expect people to disagree with it. If you can't deal with that, then don't come into threads like these and start accusing people of shoving beliefs down your throat, ok? No disrespect to anyone in here.... just stating the facts.

Dogstar
10-05-2002, 04:04 AM
Well, they may be *the facts* as you see them, but that's not how I see them, IMHO.

TeriB19
10-05-2002, 10:16 PM
I share that Humble Opinion.

Lady Valkyrie
10-07-2002, 12:10 AM
lol you know BigBassDrummer you have hit the nail on the head... this is a poll... where people are going to have differing opinions. I WAS MERELY STATING MY OPINIONS... FROM A CHRISTIAN STANDPOINT.... Just as everyone else has stated their opinions... yet I am condemmed and labeled as someone who pushes religion. Did I ever say that you MUST believe as I do? NOT ONCE! Now get off of my back... you will forever state your own opinion and I will forever state mine... let it be.

Dogstar
10-07-2002, 12:12 AM
Nobody's condemning you, for crying out loud. Critical? Maybe, but not condemning. Get over the persecution complex already.

Lady Valkyrie
10-07-2002, 12:54 AM
lol as soon as people stop being so "critical" of me. :D :P

souldancer
10-07-2002, 03:32 AM
I share that Humble Opinion. Damn woman, I go to Las Vegas to a concert, and you snuck right in here! I thought we were going to stay out of here! ;)

Siana
10-07-2002, 08:21 AM
lol

Dogstar
10-07-2002, 11:50 AM
Damn woman, I go to Las Vegas to a concert, and you snuck right in here! &nbsp;I thought we were going to stay out of here! ;)

It's that dang curiosity thing. Keeps pulling us in.

souldancer
10-07-2002, 01:33 PM
Yeah - and to think that we are all cat lovers...

What was that De Niro or Paccino line, "they keep pullling me back, pulling me back" - hmmm...middle age memory block.

Dogstar
10-07-2002, 01:58 PM
Lol, same here...can't remember.

TeriB19
10-08-2002, 05:56 AM
<b>Yeah - and to think that we are all cat lovers...

What was that De Niro or Paccino line, "they keep pullling me back, pulling me back" - hmmm...middle age memory block. </b> I think it was Pacino in reference to the mob in the latest Godfather installment. And it's true, I am drawn back to see what the latest is. It IS the cat lover in me. In fact, there's one sitting on my lap reading my posts as we speak!;)

souldancer
10-08-2002, 12:10 PM
Pacino in reference to the mob in the latest Godfather installment. And it's true, I am drawn back to see what the latest is. It IS the cat lover in me. In fact, there's one sitting on my lap reading my posts as we speak!;)
MEOW! ;)

Dogstar
10-08-2002, 05:49 PM
LOL!

souldancer
10-12-2002, 02:40 AM
Damn, are we done with this thread yet? ;)

TeriB19
10-12-2002, 10:50 AM
Hell yeah!!:P

Siana
10-17-2002, 09:39 AM
I think it was Pacino in reference to the mob in the latest Godfather installment. And it's true, I am drawn back to see what the latest is. It IS the cat lover in me. In fact, there's one sitting on my lap reading my posts as we speak!;)

Speaking of The Godfather,that movie is Great!All 3 parts!Pacino is just awesome!

TeriB19
10-17-2002, 10:38 AM
Have not seen that one. The only one of the three that I have missed. Maybe some rainy Sat. afternoon while the kids are out with Dad I'll rent it.

souldancer
10-18-2002, 01:02 AM
I loved 'Al' in Scent of a Woman !

Dogstar
10-18-2002, 03:03 AM
He was wonderful in that movie. I bought that one. I just love it. Such a cool story. It's the only movie that Chris O'Donnell was half-way good in. A great supporting cast.

Siana
10-18-2002, 07:27 AM
Have not seen that one. The only one of the three that I have missed. Maybe some rainy Sat. afternoon while the kids are out with Dad I'll rent it.

You haven't seen the 3rd part??Well,you should!It my fave one!

TeriB19
10-18-2002, 11:58 AM
I loved 'Al' in Scent of a Woman ! Bwooo Haaa. Loved the driving scene!!

Dogstar
10-18-2002, 03:24 PM
Yeah, especially when they get stopped by the cop. That scene is hilarious!

TeriB19
10-19-2002, 09:14 AM
Speaking of getting stopped by cops, has anyone seen Super Troopers? From the comedy troupe Broken Lizard, that movie is really funny.:P