View Full Version : Afterlife?

Weathered
11-23-2002, 11:45 PM
where does everyone believe you go after you die? i believe in heaven in hell

Altair
11-24-2002, 09:43 AM
You mean this isn't the afterlife?
:lol:

I once placed a great importance on the afterlife until I realized I was missing the point: being here right now. The moment is what it's about. If you worry about tomorrow or regret about days gone, you'll have missed out on a great opportunity to taste the succulence of the moment.

"Yesterday, today was tomorrow. Here and now is all that I can be." Cy Curnin (The Fixx)

Altair
11-24-2002, 09:52 AM
But, to answer the question, I do believe in the afterlife. It seems to me that we are in the midst of eternity. Either it's over when it's over, or we go on, somehow. Being in the midst of eternity, with forever behind us and forever yet to come, it's quite a coincidence, actually quite a miracle that we find ourselves alive right now for what may only be a lifetime. Only a lifetime? Too unreasonable. I'd rather believe that we've always been, that this energy, this awareness, this heart of hearts is constant and will move on in some way into some new adventures.

If you do believe in eternal life, this does seem to be a pretty good plan. Afterall, living forever, in one body, would get pretty boring after a while. Mortality is a great invention, allowing us to experience life and all its wonders over and over again. And what a wonderful place to experience it: a place with others, a place that is beautiful and full of life, a place that has so many possibilities and so much diversity.

Siana
11-25-2002, 08:12 AM
I want to believe there's life after death...yep,i think i believe in that :cool:

Bridge of Clay
11-25-2002, 01:08 PM
I donīt believe we go straight to heaven, hell or purgatory when we die.
I do believe thereīs life after death, but in the way thatīs described in the holy bible:
death is like a permanent state of uncontiouness (spelling?) sleep. dead people donīt know whatīs going on, donīt know about their relatives or themselves.
Until the day of Christīs second coming, when He will call those who were sleeping to go with Him to Heaven, for an eternal life.
But itīs not everybody whoīs going to Heaven, only those who are considered just, thru the eyes of God. And I know He will judge each one according to the light each has received, even if this person havenīt ever heard about God or lived before Christ.

JenRN
11-25-2002, 01:17 PM
I definately believe in heaven and hell!!! I do believe that many people think they will get to heaven by being "good people" alone, but is that enough? I have taken MANY theology classes in college and had many religions represented and they all really do believe in the afterlife. I have a VERY hard time grasping the religion thing though, each one has it's own set of rules, how do you know which is correct? Religion is each denomintation's own interpretations of "the word" soooo... how do you know which one is most authentic? I always used to bring this up in my theology classes, BOY TALK ABOUT HEATED DEBATES!!!! :eek:

Read JDM
11-25-2002, 10:27 PM
Hell is other people.

allison
11-26-2002, 02:29 PM
Hell is having little or no respect for life, all types.

Siana
11-29-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Read JDM
Hell is other people.

most of the times...yeah :(

alive_in_Jesus
11-29-2002, 12:52 PM
I believe in heaven and hell. I believe that everything in the Word of God is all true.:angel:

Can you take me higher
To the place where blind men see
Can you take me higher
To the place with golden streets

Lady Valkyrie
11-29-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by alive_in_Jesus
I believe in heaven and hell.  I believe that everything in the Word of God is all true.:angel:  

Can you take me higher
To the place where blind men see
Can you take me higher
To the place with golden streets

I believe in what the Bible states about the afterlife.

Before Christ died on the cross there was "paradise" sometimes called "Abraham's bosom" .......and then there was "Hades". There was a deep chasm that was between the two. Jesus Died and those people who had followed God's laws in the Old Testament were there and were raised from their graves and walked around Jerusalem when christ died. I feel that they didn't stay on the earth but went to be with God in Heaven. Then Christ was raised from the dead after three days and later on after instructing his disciples he ascended into heaven where he is to this day awaiting for the Father God to tell him to come back to Earth and the dead that believe in Christ shall rise and meet Jesus in the air... and those who are alive and remain on this Earth that believe in Christ will be caught up with them and Jesus. Jesus will take us to heaven. As for where you go right now when you die... those who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ merely "sleep" awaiting for the Lord Jesus to return. Those who do not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ will await in "Hades" and on judgement day they will be judged and thrown into hell with satan to live in eternal seperation from God... which is the worst punishment that mankind could possible face in my opinion.

Now these are my opinions... I am not trying to push them on anyone. So please don't scream at me like people have done in the past when I state my opinions, ok?

creedfaner
11-30-2002, 04:15 PM
i'm not stating what i believe, but this is sort of interesting to ponder, maybe its sort of like an afterlife.....

See my shadow changing,
Stretching up and over me.
Soften this old armor.
Hoping I can clear the way
By stepping through my shadow,
Coming out the other side.
Step into the shadow.

Amish Warlord
12-01-2002, 02:47 AM
In the afterlife, you are eaten by worms.

Seriously though.. think about this. Every other religion(besides christianity in all it's forms) simply says if you're good, you get treated well after you die. Chrisitianity is the only religion with the balls to claim that if you don't believe in their religion.. when you die, you spend all eternity in hell.. the worst place imaginable. pretty crude, isn't it? Most of christianity is that way. it's not nice. it's not peaceful. in fact, it's a bunch of bull.

"i don't believe in god for the same reason i don't believe in mother goose" - Clarence Darrow

-J

DangerousDan85
12-01-2002, 03:09 AM
It would be cool to be a ghost for a while. :ghost:

creedfaner
12-01-2002, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by DangerousDan85
It would be cool to be a ghost for a while.
:lol:

DangerousDan85
12-01-2002, 03:39 AM
or a ghostbuster, used to want to be one when I was a kid

Weathered
12-02-2002, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Amish Warlord
Seriously though.. think about this.  Every other religion(besides christianity in all it's forms) simply says if you're good, you get treated well after you die.  Chrisitianity is the only religion with the balls to claim that if you don't believe in their religion.. when you die, you spend all eternity in hell.. the worst place imaginable.  pretty crude, isn't it?  Most of christianity is that way.  it's not nice.  it's not peaceful.  in fact, it's a bunch of bull.  

-J
you just pretty much said all you have to do is be good and not worry about anything in life to get to heaven...and you pretty much also said that you dont have to believe in God to get to heaven. ...and also you said that if you arent christian then you will go to hell...that isnt true...all you have to do is believe and have faith in God

souldancer
12-02-2002, 01:38 AM
I think that Life, as the spiritual essence, is eternal, and that this body on Earth is a vessel for us to accomplish, learn, grow and experience 'God'- and having a good time while loving, serving and remembering our Divine nature. I don't think of life as some linear ruler with a neat start and finish, but circular like a giant snowball,expanding from the center out - rolling through patterns of seasons. And like the iindividuality of each snowflake, each person is represented, connected and important in this One giant massl. Moving from inside out, from our heartfelt intentions and just as there is a physical evolutionary process, there is also a spiritual evolutionary process with the potential for our human consciousness to evolve and expand in a dynamic, creative power of good - and this essence of our sould/spirit/energy/Sefl moves on after this life. As for heaven and hell, i consider those to be states of mind...hell, a place that I have been in, self- inflicted at times when I am out of sync with my inner peace and true Selfm and other times when life just deals some bad crap. Heaven - is a much better place to be - and can only experience either in the breathtaking power of the moment.