Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
authorship of Torn? [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : authorship of Torn?

hide
01-17-2004, 06:45 AM
I had always thought that this was soley a Tremonti tune but in the HOB version so graciously supplied by Jez Stapp saids something akin to "I always set aside some time each day to feel the way I did when we wrote this song". I guess basically every Creed song is a partnership between the two and even though some songs are more Tremonti then Stapp and vice versa there are not songs that are only written by one or the other!

Jez
01-17-2004, 11:22 AM
I had always thought that this was soley a Tremonti tune but in the HOB version so graciously supplied by Jez Stapp saids something akin to "I always set aside some time each day to feel the way I did when we wrote this song". I guess basically every Creed song is a partnership between the two and even though some songs are more Tremonti then Stapp and vice versa there are not songs that are only written by one or the other!

Hey Hide.....would you mind adding a comma between my name and Stapp's so people don't think that I am calling myself Jez Stapp? LOL!!

Mulletman
01-17-2004, 11:36 AM
yea he says that a lot. Mark wrote the entire lyrics to the song about his ex. I'm guessing that he means when they composed the entire song...

Creed_Defaultgirl
01-17-2004, 01:04 PM
I heard that it was Stapp. Because on the behind the music or whatever it was on vh1, Scott was saying he woke up in the middle of the night and just felt like writing. I think I have that on tape, somewhere. :dunno:

Mulletman
01-17-2004, 01:35 PM
yea i know what you were talking about, they even show the lyrics writen out on a piece of paper.

Gabriel
01-17-2004, 06:11 PM
Mark wrote all of Torn, music, lyrics and melodys.

Michael

Bridge of Clay
01-17-2004, 06:37 PM
a-ham!!!!!!! nice! thanks, Michael! :)

What other lyrics he wrote?

Gabriel
01-17-2004, 07:05 PM
On the MOP album? The first verse and chorus for Whats This Life For. Chorus for Pity For a Dime. Chorus for My Own Prison(the part he sings). I think thats about it on that cd. Scott handled 90% of the lyrics on that cd. Until recently Mark was more of the melody guy than a lyricist.

Michael

Bridge of Clay
01-17-2004, 07:17 PM
sweet!!!

Would I be abbusing of your goodwill if I asked about the other albums as well? :p :)

hide
01-17-2004, 09:49 PM
thanks heaps Mick (can I call you that LOL) I was hoping you would see my thread and let us know. I guess its just how Scott worded his little intro at HOB that confused me because I had heard interviews where Mark claims the authorship and obviously rightly so. Good to know what parts he wrote during MOP although it would be great to know what he wrote in the other 2 albums as well. I realise Hide is one that you are not sure of and that is cool.

Can't wait to see what lyrics Mr. Tremontized comes up with this new group, some great ones he has done so far including "We're all held captive
Out from the sun
A sun that shines on only some
We the meek are all in one

creedsister
01-17-2004, 09:59 PM
``````]]]]]]]]]

hayley
01-17-2004, 10:11 PM
On the MOP album? The first verse and chorus for Whats This Life For. Chorus for Pity For a Dime. Chorus for My Own Prison(the part he sings). I think thats about it on that cd. Scott handled 90% of the lyrics on that cd. Until recently Mark was more of the melody guy than a lyricist.

Michael

Wow, there's something I didn't know. Thanks for that, Michael. :D

JulieCitySlicker
01-17-2004, 10:14 PM

Michael

Cool :cool: Thanks for the info man :)

hide
01-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Wow, there's something I didn't know. Thanks for that, Michael. :D

i knew basically all that Michael told us but i had no idea about Pity for a Dime!

Gabriel
01-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Well we were just talking lyrics so on Pity all Mark wrote was "sell my pity for a dime, just one dime." The only reason I even know that was because before Creed started Mark had that song and sang that part all the damn time and hummed the rest of it.

Michael

hide
01-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Well we were just talking lyrics so on Pity all Mark wrote was "sell my pity for a dime, just one dime." The only reason I even know that was because before Creed started Mark had that song and sang that part all the damn time and hummed the rest of it.

Michael

oh okay so he "only" wrote that line thanks anyhow. "all the damn time and hummed the rest of it". For some reason that sounds hilarious so did he get it for that? So who won the fights when you guys were younger? Come on your secret is safe with us! LMAO

hayley
01-17-2004, 10:37 PM
haha

I bet Mark did...he probably smashed you over the head with one of his guitars....;) j/k

hide
01-17-2004, 10:40 PM
haha

I bet Mark did...he probably smashed you over the head with one of his guitars....;) j/k

LOL I remember I used to have little fights with my little brother just about everyday when I was 10 or so! I remember one day I punched him in the gut and he cried to mum "Oh mum Michael winded me"! LOL sorry back to Torn :)

hide
01-17-2004, 10:43 PM
here I am with Mark's brother on the board and i'm talking about my childhood. What am I thinking? LOL

Michael can you tell us whether this album at this point in time is a one off between Creed albums or if its something more permernant?

Dogstar
01-17-2004, 11:01 PM
LOL I remember I used to have little fights with my little brother just about everyday when I was 10 or so! I remember one day I punched him in the gut and he cried to mum "Oh mum Michael winded me"! LOL sorry back to Torn :)

LMAO, I did the same thing to my brother once and he went crying to my mom...LOL...he wasn't even hurt, either, but I got it because I was older and should have known better, hehehe...

hide
01-17-2004, 11:20 PM
LMAO, I did the same thing to my brother once and he went crying to my mom...LOL...he wasn't even hurt, either, but I got it because I was older and should have known better, hehehe...

hehe beat up by his sister i'm glad i never had to endure that! LOL I also got in trouble for telling my younger siblings that Santa wasen't real(yep thats right he doesn't LOL). I took away my mum's tool and I got it!

Dogstar
01-17-2004, 11:32 PM
hehe beat up by his sister i'm glad i never had to endure that! LOL I also got in trouble for telling my younger siblings that Santa wasen't real(yep thats right he doesn't LOL). I took away my mum's tool and I got it!
Hahahah, too funny! I couldn't beat him up after he turned about 14 because then he grew like a weed and towered over me :D.

hide
01-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Hahahah, too funny! I couldn't beat him up after he turned about 14 because then he grew like a weed and towered over me :D.

cool talking to ya got to go!

Dogstar
01-18-2004, 12:10 AM
Have a good one, hide!

Creed_Defaultgirl
01-18-2004, 01:42 AM
I was going to be a sister, but my Mom had a miscarrage, and didn't try again, so here I am with my dog and cats being the closest things to syblings. Oh well, I guess there's a reason for everything.

Michael, do you know why it was put off on that show that Scott wrote the song instead of Mark??? If he wrote it, they should have given him the credit, not Scott.

facelessman
01-18-2004, 03:09 AM
sounds good to me

Steve
01-18-2004, 11:55 AM
The only reason I even know that was because before Creed started Mark had that song and sang that part all the damn time and hummed the rest of it.

haha that's classic :D

What about songs on the other CDs? Which, if any, did Mark contribute lyrics to there?

Frankie
01-18-2004, 01:33 PM

Michael

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that almost everyone's favorite Creed CD...MOP...lyrics were almost entirely written by Scott?
Tells me maybe someone needs to stick to playing the guitar.

Sits back and waits for all mark fans to change their mind about what their favorite Creed album is. :cool:

Gabriel
01-18-2004, 02:33 PM
So... following your logic I'm guessing you believe that Stapp should stick to only writing poetry? Isn't that what lyrics without music or melody are?

Michael

Bridge of Clay
01-18-2004, 03:12 PM
hahahahaha :lol:

LOL!

Oh, mine... I should shut up before I say something stupid... but Stapp mammas (notice I have nothing against the man, just his mammasitas) so can't make a decent statement...

Which leads me to another question: according to your logic, Stapp shouldn't play guitar, right? geez...

Frankie
01-18-2004, 03:13 PM
So... following your logic I'm guessing you believe that Stapp should stick to only writing poetry? Isn't that what lyrics without music or melody are?

Michael

Actually because it was Scott's words and voice that drew me to Creed in the first place...and is what has kept me a Creed fan all of these years...if that is what Scott chooses to do...it would be perfectly fine with me.

Dogstar
01-18-2004, 04:33 PM
Am I the only one who finds it interesting that almost everyone's favorite Creed CD...MOP...lyrics were almost entirely written by Scott?

Sits back and waits for all mark fans to change their mind about what their favorite Creed album is. :cool:

It's actually the music part that makes MOP my favorite. Don't get me wrong, I love the lyrics, but it was Mark's riffs and melodies and vibes from those tunes that drew me in.

Steve
01-18-2004, 04:56 PM
It's actually the music part that makes MOP my favorite. Don't get me wrong, I love the lyrics, but it was Mark's riffs and melodies and vibes from those tunes that drew me in.

Ditto for me. I still remember the first time I heard My Own Prison on Lazer 103 here in Milwaukee... I was sitting in my room doing homework or something and had the radio on low. All of a sudden I just started focusing on the song on the radio and heard the last verse of My Own Prison. The guitars and drums in the song drew me in. Then I spent the next several hours trying to figure out what the song was and who sang it. Finally got the answer when it was played again later that evening. :)

Bridge of Clay
01-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Ditto for me. I still remember the first time I heard My Own Prison on Lazer 103 here in Milwaukee... I was sitting in my room doing homework or something and had the radio on low. All of a sudden I just started focusing on the song on the radio and heard the last verse of My Own Prison. The guitars and drums in the song drew me in. Then I spent the next several hours trying to figure out what the song was and who sang it. Finally got the answer when it was played again later that evening. :)

Now how can you focus on your homework if you had your radio on? What a bad example for the youth on this board, Steve! :nono:

Steve
01-18-2004, 05:42 PM
haha well that was one of the few rare occasions I actually did homework so... ;)

Bridge of Clay
01-18-2004, 05:48 PM
LOL!!!

I know! I quit doing homework on 5th grade... but if the teacher asked for something big, I'd copy from someone before his class started! oops! :p

Steve
01-18-2004, 06:49 PM
I'm being serious here too.. just like you said, I never had homework from 6th grade to 12th grade, except for stupid essays or take home tests. All normal assignments I finished in class so I never had regular homework :)

But anyway, now that we've drifted off topic... let's bring this back to the topic at hand!

creedlvr
01-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Actually because it was Scott's words and voice that drew me to Creed in the first place...and is what has kept me a Creed fan all of these years..
ditto that for me!!

Bridge of Clay
01-18-2004, 08:31 PM
MICHAEL,

I was thinking a bit and came up with a good name (at least in my opinion), did a little research and it's not taken... how can I send it to you without making it public on a message board?

We could work it through Steve (webmaster of CreedFeed) in case you're interested.

hayley
01-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Uhhh yeah...Marcos, why don't you just share it with us

hide
01-19-2004, 01:02 AM
I believe Mark and Scott need to dabble in the areas that are not their tradtional strengths or their growth as musicians will be much slower. The really great bands I feel don't have the setup Creed currently has with only two songwriters, one for lyrics and one for music. While you don't want a circus of songwriters it needs to be more then Stapp-Lyrics and Tremonti-Music.

hide
01-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Michael is it all possible to answer these two questions, I can perfectly understand if you don't want to touch the second one.

Do you know who has written the various spoken parts in Creed's songs?
Can you tell us whom this singer resembles vocally? I'll throw up some names for comparsion Maynard James Keenan, Chris Cornell, James Hetfield.

Gabriel
01-19-2004, 06:37 PM
1) I'm not sure what you mean in this question. Are you talking about lyrics? I'm not sure about every single lyric. I only know about most songs because I had heard most of them before they were brought to Scott to finish. Some, Mark had no lyrics or melody ideas only music. An example would be Bullets. Mark had the music but no lyrics and had no idea how the song should be sung so Scott did all of that. On the opposite spectrum is One Last Breath. Mark had all the lyrics, music and vocal melodys done for that song. Scott kept Mark's lyrics and vocal melody's for the chorus and the bridge but rewrote the verses lyrically(some of my fav lyrics by the way). I'm not going to go into every song and I used two examples which are extremes in both directions. Most songs had more of a middle ground.

2) Between the three guys you mentioned(Keenan, Cornell and Hetfield) the new singer sounds closest to Cornell. Happy?

Michael

hide
01-19-2004, 06:49 PM
thanks heaps for the reply hopefully i'm not looking needy here but i was refering to the spoken parts as in the ones in "The world breathes and out forms this misconception we call man" etc:

Has Mark used any of the lryics that were orignally in his versions of One Last Breath, Hide etc: About the singer that has me very happy indeed, even if he is half as good as Cornell this will be brillant. Chris Cornell for me is the greatest vocalist ever and that includes Robert Plant and any other of the greats that can be named.

Gabriel
01-19-2004, 06:53 PM
That spoken part in Say I was 100% Stapps idea and lyrics.

Michael

hide
01-19-2004, 07:01 PM
That spoken part in Say I was 100% Stapps idea and lyrics.

Michael

Thanks!

Bridge of Clay
01-19-2004, 07:59 PM
Uhhh yeah...Marcos, why don't you just share it with us

so you could steal my idea? no, thanks, sweetie. :)

Besides, if they don't like the name I'm though/suggested, I would use it for me. But if they like it, I'd be ultra-mega happy if they used it! :D

btw, I really mean it.

Michael, if you read this, Steve will forward my PM to you any time.

Ann Allusion
01-19-2004, 09:04 PM
the only thing i am going to say is that it isn't called Tremonti/Stapp Music for nothin'...sounds like a partnership..and in a partnership none are above the other, instead you have each others back..no matter what.

look forward to hearing that partnership again....when the time is right...until then, may both parties gain the experience needed to find their way back there again.

Sheila63
01-20-2004, 11:47 AM
I agree, Ann Allusion. Well said.:thumbsup:

Michael, thank you so much for sharing the information with us.

hide
01-20-2004, 08:34 PM
we have a Cornell like singer du da! LOL a cover of "Jesus Christ Posse" (with Stapp in video LMAO sorry) is mandatory!

Dogstar
01-20-2004, 09:18 PM
we have a Cornell like singer du da! LOL a cover of "Jesus Christ Posse" (with Stapp in video LMAO sorry) is mandatory!
LMFAO!!

hide
01-20-2004, 09:36 PM
LMFAO!!

glad you like it!

Dogstar
01-20-2004, 09:37 PM
glad you like it!
:D....Great SG song, by the way...

hide
01-20-2004, 09:42 PM
for sure he hits some high notes there you could do worse then cover this. But please cover Metallica, and Led already! :D

facelessman
01-20-2004, 10:30 PM
i agree

Creedfan73
01-21-2004, 08:31 AM
I just wanted to thank Michael for giving us concrete answers to the questions so many of us have been pining for. This puts an end to a lot of speculation. It is a privilege getting a view from the inside.

In this thread I feel that I have learned 50% of my Creed history. :thumbsup:

hayley
01-22-2004, 11:30 PM
so you could steal my idea? no, thanks, sweetie. :)
I would never steal the name you came up with! :(

2) Between the three guys you mentioned(Keenan, Cornell and Hetfield) the new singer sounds closest to Cornell. Happy?
Yes, very! That's cool

Bridge of Clay
01-23-2004, 05:31 PM
I would never steal the name you came up with! :(

I was pulling your leg, sweetie! :cool:

hide
01-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Michael is it possible that you could tell us the respective involvements of Scott and Mark in the so called "epic Creed songs" ie: With Arms Wide Open amongst others? There seems to be a popular theroy espesically amongst those that more into Creed's harder materail that Scott is responsible for the "epic" feel of some songs.

hayley
01-25-2004, 12:03 AM
I was pulling your leg, sweetie! :cool:

Oh, okay. :D

luvin monti
01-31-2004, 11:55 AM
To me...Torn was always one of my favorites. If I am remembering correctly, it was indeed the first Creed song I heard on the radio. Considering I had no idea who they were until I went to the Peoria show back in '97. But even soon after, I didn't recognize them...but them something clicked!! Hell if I'd trade that moment for the world! LOL

Right...sooooo off subject!!!

Thanks Michael for the info! :D

hayley
01-31-2004, 08:58 PM
Torn has always been one of my favourites, also. Apart from What's This Life For, it's probably my favourite off MOP

stappfan12
02-03-2004, 09:50 AM

I think maybe you need to be a little more broad in your musical taste and quit being so concieted

Jez
02-03-2004, 11:32 AM
I think maybe you need to be a little more broad in your musical taste and quit being so concieted
Conceited?
YOu don't know Frankie at all. ;)

janem
02-03-2004, 12:01 PM

I agree... :smokin:

creedlvr
02-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Great way to start off for your first post!

Do you even know what that word means? I don't see where what she said indicates she's conceited. And BTW ... it's "i" before "e" except after "c"...

Conceited = correct spelling

hayley
02-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Oh come on don't start that shit, fighting, geez

adparaiki
11-14-2005, 04:17 PM
Mark wrote all of Torn, music, lyrics and melodys.

Michael

I remember in an interview that Mark and Scott Said that Mark wrote the music (guitar) and one of the versus but Scott wrote the rest and all the vocal melody.

Please could you explain this more please If you have the time.

Thanks for your time

adparaiki
11-18-2005, 09:00 AM
I am going to only listen to what Both Mark and Scott said together when they were in Creed because that is the most valuable and correct source.

The Lithium
11-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Wake up and smell the coffee!

adparaiki
12-15-2005, 02:30 PM

Michael

scott wrote the melodies aswell ok

adparaiki
12-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Michael is it possible that you could tell us the respective involvements of Scott and Mark in the so called "epic Creed songs" ie: With Arms Wide Open amongst others? There seems to be a popular theroy espesically amongst those that more into Creed's harder materail that Scott is responsible for the "epic" feel of some songs.

scott wrote the lyrics and melody to with arms wide open and Higher

The Lithium
12-15-2005, 03:33 PM
scott wrote the melodies aswell ok
No, Michael just said he DIDN'T! Pay attention!

IamFilthy
12-15-2005, 04:02 PM
No, Michael just said he DIDN'T! Pay attention!

Oh wow,...let's believe Michael! How do you know he's telling the truth?......He is a Tremonti afterall and I'm sure he would do anything to glorify Mark...........so,....wake up and smell the coffee.

evyllsummer
12-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Oh wow,...let's believe Michael! How do you know he's telling the truth?......He is a Tremonti afterall and I'm sure he would do anything to glorify Mark...........so,....wake up and smell the coffee.

*yawn*

The Lithium
12-16-2005, 11:40 AM
If I had to choose who I believe, between you and Michael. - I'd rather pick Tremonti's brother than a 27 year old male with no facts at all.

PLUS Michael is a really nice guy... You're not!