Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Censorship in the "Land of Freedom" [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Censorship in the "Land of Freedom"

Higher_Desire
01-16-2004, 04:11 PM
Unfortunatly, this "Land of Freedom" that we have known as America, as we all know, isn't always comprehendable.

Today, on my way home from work, What's This Life for was played on the radio. That's one of my favorite Creed songs, and I'm not sure as if I've heard it on the radio before or not, but I noticed that when Stapp sings:
"But they ain't here anymore. Don't have to settle no God-Damn score."
that the word that was censored out was NOT damn, but God.

How is it that God is a more offensive word then a word that even the dictionary proclaims as vulgar?

H-D :hypno:

Mr.Anderson
01-16-2004, 04:31 PM
I think there getting way to carried away with censorship and politically correctness.

Torn Signs
01-16-2004, 05:05 PM
I'll say, that's just sad.

Steve
01-16-2004, 05:08 PM
The reason "God" was censored is not because "God" is offensive, but because it's offensive to say "God damned" to certain people. That song's always been edited like that on the radio.

JenRN
01-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Hmmm... never noticed that before!

JulieCitySlicker
01-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Me either :confused: I don't listen to the radio that much either ;)

Steve
01-16-2004, 06:01 PM
I have the Promo CD Single of WTLF with the radio edit version on it :)

Bridge of Clay
01-16-2004, 06:08 PM
yeah, on MTV they edited the same part as well.

I'm proud I'm keeping my mouth shut about the freedom issue! :D not that you care ...

DangerousDan85
01-16-2004, 09:05 PM
The reason "God" was censored is not because "God" is offensive, but because it's offensive to say "God damned" to certain people. That song's always been edited like that on the radio.

that's what i figured

hayley
01-17-2004, 02:42 AM
Yeah that's true, God damned is offensive to some people. Its strange though because here they don't beep out anything on the rock station here, I guess that's saying if you don't like the song, the "swearing" don't listen, lol

Creed_Defaultgirl
01-17-2004, 01:17 PM
Yeah that's true, God damned is offensive to some people. Its strange though because here they don't beep out anything on the rock station here, I guess that's saying if you don't like the song, the "swearing" don't listen, lol
Y'know that Everlast song, uhh, I don't know the name of it. But here, some stations beep out drugs, and just the most non sence things to beep out. Drugs are a bad thing, but it isn't a bad word. That's always something that has made me wonder about.......

I have heard the edited version. Atleast they play the song! Some stations seem to have something against Creed, so they don't play the songs untill they have to.

Kim V.
01-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Our local rock station, WMMR in Philly, plays Creed probably more often than some. I've heard WTLF several times on that station, and it's not edited out.

facelessman
01-18-2004, 03:40 AM
yeah, censorship is crazy these days

RMadd
01-18-2004, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I've noticed in other songs before, that "God" is censored. I'm not sure they're censoring the existence of the word "God", but moreso the fact that "Goddamn" is one of those offensive, illegal words like "shit" and "fuck"; "damn", of course, is an 'okay' word, so they prolly use that b/c it sorta gets the same message across... but I'm not sure why "Goddamn" is that much more offensive than just plain ol' "damn". ***damn, that sh** is f***ed up!

PaulMcCoygirl
01-18-2004, 08:02 PM
When they play WTLF on our local rock station, they don't censor it out. I guess only certain ones do.

hayley
01-18-2004, 11:24 PM
I have heard the edited version. Atleast they play the song! Some stations seem to have something against Creed, so they don't play the songs untill they have to.
Yeah, I've noticed that, too. There are DJ's on our rock station that love Creed, and there are the ones that hate them. It's funny. I have always said that I would LOVE to hear different Creed songs on the radio than just the radio friendly songs, but I guess we should be greatful that they are on, at least

shiver
01-19-2004, 12:57 AM
To me personally God with the word damn plced after God is offensive, and more offensive than any other thing anyone can say. My local radio station censors the God part. In a way though it doesn't neccesarily help because you know what he's saying and it still brings attention to it. But I would still rather not here that.

creedlvr
01-19-2004, 12:59 AM
I know that word is quite offensive to a lot of people ... but I never really got why. It's not as bad as some other words.

shiver
01-19-2004, 01:04 AM
Well, not to make this a religious deal, but well...It's a religious deal. Thou shall not take the Lord's name in vain. That is what's happening. It's just that society has become immune to such things and...
I'm digressing...Again.

creedlvr
01-19-2004, 01:09 AM
okay ... i see your point.

hayley
01-19-2004, 01:54 AM
I have never looked at "Goddamn" as an offensive word, I guess that's because I'm not religious, but I know that some do, and I respect that

Said Eyes
01-20-2004, 02:34 AM
So if I start to find the word "Pants" offensive again (like it once was) can I get that bleeped out on songs and in the media?

Offense is in the eye of the beholder. If you understand why it's in the song then I can't see how anyone can take it as offensive, whatever your religion.

Steve
01-20-2004, 02:42 AM
So if I start to find the word "Pants" offensive again (like it once was) can I get that bleeped out on songs and in the media?

Offense is in the eye of the beholder. If you understand why it's in the song then I can't see how anyone can take it as offensive, whatever your religion.

If you have enough people backing you and/or have the means to get your feelings out, yes you can probably get the word "pants" bleeped from the radio. That's the problem with society nowadays. If something is said and offends a group of people, the rest of the world must change their ways to please them.

Just look at the case in America where people were suing public school districts because the schools took out 5 minutes to say the pledge of alligence. Because the pledge has the word "God" in it, certain people were offended by that. They want the word removed from the pledge....

shiver
01-20-2004, 02:45 AM
And those certain people were idiots.

Jez
01-20-2004, 02:55 AM
And those certain people were idiots.
That's also a matter of personal opinion.

Higher_Desire
01-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Thanks for your input on this topic, people. I hadn't thought about it in the ways some of you mentioned.

H-D :hypno:

hayley
01-20-2004, 11:08 PM
That's the problem with society nowadays. If something is said and offends a group of people, the rest of the world must change their ways to please them.

Yeah that's pathetic. Either you listen because you like it, or you don't listen because you hate it, it's as simple as that.

shiver
01-20-2004, 11:19 PM
That's also a matter of personal opinion.

Nah, that's the truth.

Dogstar
01-21-2004, 01:52 AM
In your eyes, maybe, shiver.

JenRN
01-21-2004, 09:47 AM
Oh, I wonder when the world became so complicated? (sigh)