Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Sad [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Sad

JenRN
10-06-2003, 04:49 PM
I am here at work today and one of my patients is a lesbian. She is scheduled for surgery and everytime I went into the room she introduced me to her "partner" as her roomate. She is on heavy meds and unfortunately the time came for surgery and sometimes they let family in to the pre- holding area. I of course was understanding to the fact that she wanted her "roomate" in the room with her. We got the the surgical area and I looked her in the eyes and told her I would do everything I could to get her partner Linda in there with her. They have been together now for 15 years, been through 15 Christmas', 15 Birthdays, and I am sure as many if not more emotions as you and I. I told Linda to come in and the OR nurse said "only family" and I said this is her family. She proceeded to be rude and obnoxious and stated, "we don't consider a roomate family in here" I stood there for a minute thinking of what I could say. I finally said "Look at her she needs her in their with her, does it really matter at this point?" I lost the argument and Linda had to go, and my patient was left alone...... how sad is that? No matter what your beliefs are on the subject, we all need to remember how human emotion works and it is not always in the "package" people want it to be in. So I guess what I am saying is if anyone runs into a circumstance such as this remember how you would feel. It broke my heart to see soemthing like this, it was REALLY sad!:(

Dogstar
10-06-2003, 05:09 PM
Boy, Jen, that really makes me sad. It's sad that we can't accept and accommodate our differences. I hope your patient's surgery went well.

cjme
10-06-2003, 05:13 PM
Oh JenRN, no matter what anybody's outlook on this is, this is a really sad story. I'm sure the nurse was only following hospital rules, but you have to ask yourself, why she had to be so rude about it. And even though they were kept apart in the end, I'm sure they both appreciate the effort and the understanding on how much they mean to each other on your part. Hats off to a nurse who cares.

hugs

hotforscott
10-06-2003, 05:19 PM
Man, that is a shame that people are like that!

Sheila63
10-06-2003, 05:39 PM
Reading this makes me really sad. :( Regardless of a person's beliefs, I feel there is always room for compassion and empathy. It's a shame this woman had to go through what was probably a scary experience by herself because of a "rule". cjme is right, I'm sure they both appreciated all that you did for them. It speaks loud and clear to the kind of nurse and person you are.:hugs:

Higher_Desire
10-06-2003, 05:55 PM
That does kinda suck. I really don't endorse homosexuality, frankly, I'm opposed to it (mostly due to religious beliefs), but I do let people have their free agency and do what (or in this case, who) they want. Good for you for sticking up for her. Some people can be real butt-heads about some things.

H-D

PS- I especially don't like lesbians. As if I'm not single enough, straight women in a relationship only takes 1 more woman away from me. Lesbians take away 2 women from me I'll never have a chance with. lol.

Lechium
10-06-2003, 07:37 PM
This is exactly why gay marrige should be legalized.

PaulMcCoygirl
10-06-2003, 07:52 PM
Jen, I'm proud of you that you stood up to that very shallow nurse. Even though you didn't win that battle, you should feel good that you at least tried. Some people in this world refuse to see what is on the inside of other people who are different. I know that a lot of people will see the good person you are. :)

P.S. Here is a famous saying: "Stand up for what you believe is right even if you're standing alone."

Torn Signs
10-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by PaulMcCoygirl
Some people in this world refuse to see what is on the inside of other people who are different.  

Ah, the sad truth of the world :(

JenRN
10-06-2003, 09:53 PM
She is doing well and cried when she saw me out of surgery. She said she has not had a straight person ever stick up for her like that. It made me happy and also made me sad:(

JulieCitySlicker
10-06-2003, 10:39 PM
That is so sad Jen:( No matter what the circumstances are everyone deserves to have someone with them in times like that:crying: That is so sad that she had to be alone at a time when I know she was afraid.

PaulMcCoygirl
10-06-2003, 11:02 PM
Well Jen, at least she knows that good people in the world like you still exist. :) No matter what anyone says, you did the right thing. It's really sad that people can't see past a someone's looks, race or sexuality and see the true person they are. :(

Dogstar
10-07-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Lechium
This is exactly why gay marrige should be legalized.

Agreed.

facelessman
10-07-2003, 01:17 AM
that is kinda sad....although i dont really endores homosexuality either, they do have their rights and should be entitled to them

SCOTTSMYMAN
10-07-2003, 10:39 AM
It is a very sad world when two people who have been together as long as they have been and have to go through crap like this. Jen it just goes to show what a wonderful person you are and that they know that there are still good people out there!! :thumbsup:

JenRN
10-07-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by SCOTTSMYMAN
It is a very sad world when two people who have been together as long as they have been and have to go through crap like this. Jen it just goes to show what a wonderful person you are and that they know that there are still good people out there!! :thumbsup:
Aww thanks......(tears up in eyes)

SCOTTSMYMAN
10-09-2003, 10:20 AM
You're welcome Jen. It's true though ,there are not enough understanding people in this world. Whether they were the same sex or not they have been together a long time. They love just the same as any of us! The should make same sex marriages legal!

Blaize
10-09-2003, 10:46 AM
That is sad. But you did try and that's all that you could do. You should feel good that you are human enough to put things aside and focus on the needs of the patient...Rock on!!!

Dogstar
10-09-2003, 09:52 PM
Jen is the coolest nurse!!!! You rock, girl! That hospital is lucky to have you!!!

Leader of Men
10-09-2003, 10:24 PM
I would have spit on the OR nurses' feet

JenRN
10-10-2003, 12:15 AM
Thanks guys!:D I actually saw her and her partner out today at the Tropical Smoothie Cafe. She bought me my favorite smootie..... Mango magic:) She is a cool lady:D She is doing well.

Dogstar
10-10-2003, 01:50 AM
Oh, that's great to hear, Jen. I'm glad she's doing better! I'm sure your excellent care helped :).

facelessman
10-10-2003, 02:09 AM
thats good

Leader of Men
10-10-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by JenRN
Thanks guys!:D I actually saw her and her  partner out today at the Tropical Smoothie Cafe.  She bought me my favorite smootie..... Mango magic:)  She is a cool lady:D  She is doing well. That just made my day.

It's so great to know there is people on earth as good as her.