Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Brett Hestla [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Brett Hestla

musicmind226
10-05-2003, 09:30 PM
So, what is everybody's opoion in him here?

hide
10-05-2003, 09:54 PM
i'm a little dissapointed to read at tremonti.net whether its true or not that Brett won't be involved in the next record as Mark will be handling bass. I think Brett could add a lot to the studio, allow Mark to concentrate on guitar, Brett can sing back-up and play guitar and violin as well.

Dogstar
10-05-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by hide
i'm a little dissapointed to read at tremonti.net whether its true or not that Brett won't be involved in the next record as Mark will be handling bass.  I think Brett could add a lot to the studio, allow Mark to concentrate on guitar, Brett can sing back-up and play guitar and violin as well.

I'm with you, especially after what he put into the tour. I wish they would find a permanent bassist so that Mark could concentrate on what he's best at -- the guitar.

PaulMcCoygirl
10-05-2003, 11:23 PM
I say let Brett be in the band. He did an excellent job on tour with them! I think he would do an awesome job on Creed's next record too!

Dogstar
10-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Nice avie, Alisha!

PaulMcCoygirl
10-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Thanks!! I made it a few minutes ago. He's my honey. lol! I wish! :D

facelessman
10-05-2003, 11:36 PM
i'm a little dissapointed to read at tremonti.net whether its true or not that Brett won't be involved in the next record as Mark will be handling bass.  I think Brett could add a lot to the studio, allow Mark to concentrate on guitar, Brett can sing back-up and play guitar and violin as well.
yeah

musicmind226
10-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Here's the deal, an a opioion of mine, some may dissagree but I try not to put it so bluntly.

Mark sucks on bass, yes....indeed he most certainly does. He is not 1/3rd the bass player that brian marshall was, and most likely will never be. If mark was 1/3rd the bass player brian was, creed would not need a bass player. The bass lines on weathered were

-rushed
-un-varried
-could barely hear them

However, I give little credit to mark as any kind of a bass player. As a guitar player, well thats a whole hell of a different story. He is the closest guy if NOT THEE last guitar god we have today in a world of somewhat bleak guitarists. The man is amazing, and this is coming from a guitar player.

With brian marshall the bass lines were vibrant, and really cool to listen to. But with mark, sorry to say that element on weatherd lack tremendously. Why creed could not of hired a studio bassist is beyond me.

So, like I have said before, I view brett as a member of the band pretty much and I'm still hopeing creed will re-comsider. However, it's also entirely brett's choice.

hide
10-06-2003, 10:39 PM
Seems like it was the band's decision Stapp has said that he didn't notice any difference and Mark obviously felt he did a good job. I belive the bass is not as noticable in Weathered because they were going for a cleaner sound and when you turn it up (like you should) the bass is quite noticeable.

However I do agree the bass lines were rushed in Weathered and I hope Mark takes as much time doing these as the guitar lines and a bass solo or two would be nice. Hopefully Brett does come into the studio though.

musicmind226
10-06-2003, 10:49 PM
The thing is as well, as I have also stressed, if that creed does not seem like a complete band w/o a bassist, when they began as a four peice band, not a three peice.

We can only hope:cool:

hide
10-06-2003, 10:56 PM
That is true but live they are a four peice and as long as the studio work in the bass department is improved then we won't notice any difference. Mark is an incredible guitarist and will be able to pick up suffiecent bass skills up to the level of Brian.

musicmind226
10-06-2003, 11:05 PM
I don't know man, hopefully, but I think it would be better for creed musically if they just got a dam bassist.

I have already considered brett an ambiguous member of the band for 3 years now, and he's been touring with them, accepting awards and such he may as well as join. I remember talking to somebody on another creed board and they asked brett if he would join and he said yes if creed wanted to.

On something different,

sevendust will be on rockline 11:30 eastern time, and I'm not sure what time zone that is for you.

hide
10-06-2003, 11:25 PM
well I am in Australia so we are about half a day ahead of you I think it is 13:24 pm on Tuesday right now. I too consider Brett to be part of the band but it seems he's part of the band in live appearances only. Virgos seems in limbo so it must be frustrating for him.

HESTLA'S HONEY
10-07-2003, 06:47 AM
Hello, :D

I agree with all of you. Creed needs a bassists and Brett is good and will only get better!

I certainly hope he becomes part a permanant addition to Creed.

~Honey~:)

musicmind226
10-07-2003, 06:13 PM
I have seen brett, and he IS good, but not quite like marshall.

Marty
10-07-2003, 06:59 PM
The reason bass sucked on Weathered was not because Mark sucks, its because he was playing straight up rythmn bass, (you stay in the same key following the guitar, not extras or licks).
________
Vaporizers (http://johan-luis.tumblr.com/)

musicmind226
10-07-2003, 07:08 PM
True, but also as I have said. The bass lines aside from being "rythmic" they also sounded so alike, for example
the bass lines in

one last breath
weathered
my sacrafice

sounded exactly the same, no variation. And you would think that if mark did have some bass skill then they would not come sounding so much the same, considering in his guitar scence weathered was extremeley varied. Also, I remember reading mark saying he pounded those lines of in a day, and that my freind is rushing it way to fast, way to fast. And it's almost inevitable that the bass lines would suffer under a circumstance such as that. Otherwise they would not of turned out boring as hell.

Marty
10-07-2003, 07:31 PM
Hmm, I didn't know that. And I hadn't noticed that. But okay, well then I concide. :)
________
LIVE SEX (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

musicmind226
10-07-2003, 07:56 PM
I mean, I don't know the full bass potential of mark. But being a guitarist of his skill, you would think they would be something like marshall's. And of which was a real bassist, bassist.

hide
10-07-2003, 09:24 PM
Perhaps he just needs to take more time with the bass lines this time.

musicmind226
10-07-2003, 09:26 PM
Possibly, but still.....creed should just a bassist. In the video's they just look odd with that vacant, bassless spot.

musicmind226
10-07-2003, 09:28 PM
Or mabey I will just be their next bassist ; )

hide
10-08-2003, 12:05 AM
LOL hey you never know maybe they could do a Limp Bizkit hold auditions and steal eveyones music. LOL

I agree they should have a bassist but in the end we have no influence whatsoever.

musicmind226
10-08-2003, 03:20 PM
"I agree they should have a bassist but in the end we have no influence whatsoever."

I'm not sure what you mean by that comment, but it's a shame. Bass is such an underrated instrument. And don't let anyone every tell you other wise. Bass is just as important as guitar, vocals and drums. Bass is only the bottom, hence bass. But when creed had marshall they had a whole new demension to them, with mark it's just gone and now looks like it's going to be gone forever. Such a shame.

"LOL hey you never know maybe they could do a Limp Bizkit hold auditions and steal eveyones music. LOL"

Lol, If creed do deside to hole auditions god willing, I don't think they would do something like that.

The Lithium
10-08-2003, 03:54 PM

Well, you're a little dissapointed....I'M VERY DISSAPOINTED

musicmind226
10-08-2003, 04:01 PM
"Well, you're a little dissapointed....I'M VERY DISSAPOINTED"

My sentiments EXACTLY. Right on.

hide
10-08-2003, 07:29 PM
no Creed won't hold auditons that was just a joke. I just meant earlier that we can plead for Creed to find a bass player but in the end we have no control in the matter.

musicmind226
10-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Yea, I know....wishfull thinking. However, If mark does do the bass, I sincerely hope he puts more effort into it, and not just half ass it like he did on weathered. Can't wait to see if there will be any guitar scredidge.

The Lithium
10-12-2003, 07:19 AM
Can't wait to see Creed on the road again!!

creeddane
10-12-2003, 04:17 PM
well,

i might be cool having a bass player in creed again. I say let him in.:)

musicmind226
10-13-2003, 05:20 PM
"well,

i might be cool having a bass player in creed again. I say let him in."

Might be???? Such an understatement, creed should of gotten a bass player three years ago, it was such a foolish desition not to do so and of course there sound suffered. I.E weathered.

RMadd
10-13-2003, 07:33 PM
I've never seen Creed live (and, consequently, haven't seen or heard Brett), but I think, if he's as good as everyone says, that he should be allowed to become a full-time member of the band. The music would definitely be more interesting, I think, if Creed were to have an experienced bassist both in studio and on-stage.

musicmind226
10-13-2003, 08:12 PM
Creed had an experienced bassit, brian marshall.

However, go here to see what brett looks like

allposters.com, type in creed in the search engine.

facelessman
10-14-2003, 12:18 AM
i say just let the man join

bobben
10-15-2003, 01:47 PM
But Brett isn't a very experienced bassist. I certainly agree that he did a great work on the tour, but isn't it better with a bassist that have more experience that Brett? What about one of the other guys from the other Wind Up bands like Finger Eleven?

SmilinSkullRing
10-25-2003, 01:10 AM
Whether it's Brett or someone else I think Creed should probably go back to having a bassist who is also part of the band. I didn't get to see Creed on tour, but I imagine Brett held his own. I liked what I have seen from him on tv.

I say keep Brett if he did a job the members were happy with and if he wants to stay.

Dogstar
10-25-2003, 02:32 AM
SmilingSkullRing, are you an Alice In Chains fan, by any chance? Your nick reminds me of a line from an AIC song...Sea of Sorrow. Just curious. :D

SmilinSkullRing
10-25-2003, 02:46 AM
Hi Dogstar, I am definitely an AIC fan! Though, my nick comes from a Bruce Springsteen song entitled "Further On(Up The Road)".

The line is "Got on my dead man's suit and my smilin' skull ring". :D

Dogstar
10-25-2003, 03:13 AM
Cool! I like Bruce, too! Love your avatar :D!

SmilinSkullRing
10-25-2003, 03:46 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Dogstar+10-25-2003 02:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dogstar @ 10-25-2003 02:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Cool! I like Bruce, too! Love your avatar :D![/b][/quote]
Thanks! It is a great avatar! ;) It's awesome that you are a Bruce fan too.

hide
10-25-2003, 06:03 AM
hey SmilinSkullRing you wouldn't be the same Bruce fan from the PJ board would you? Wait til the guys hear that your on here! LOL only kidding! I'm just listening to to some Virgos now and its really great and doens't sound too much like Creed. Gives Creed another great voice and songwriter even if he's not quite the bassist Marshall is. He is a better overall package.

SmilinSkullRing
10-25-2003, 06:44 PM
Hide, you must be the Creed/PJ fan causing all the trouble over at the other board. LOL :P

I agree with what you said about Brett. I've been meaning to pick up Virgos' cd. I'll have to do that soon.

Malevolence
10-25-2003, 08:47 PM
I think that we, all, essentially, are suffering from the fact that we were all dissapointed with "Weathered".

Now, granted, it's a good album. But, by Creed standards, it is undeniably THE WORST out of their three full-album releases.

I mean, even the cover looked wacky. Like, Limp Bizkit "Hot Dog Flavored Water and Chocolate Covered Starfish" bad. And that's *really* bad.

So, needless to say, we've seen a decline in the quality of music these guys are putting out. And yes, it is *very* unnerving to think it could get worse.

At this stage, we really are hoping for another great album -- an album we know will do them justice -- an album that will show their true potential -- an album to end-all-other-rock-albums!

And we're worried. Because it might not happen. While it isn't the main reason, Brian Marshall's absence has, musically, been a huge blow to the "Creed" sound. Mark Tremonti simply cannot compensate for the natural raw talent of Brian Marshall.

It should also be noted, Mark used a pick. Now, it's been in my experiance that the most awesome of bassists tend to favor finger-picking versus using an actual pick. Look at Robert Trujillo or Newsted. Look at Flea. Look at the great, sadly lost, Cliff Burton. He was, like, the BASS GOD OF ALL when he was with Metallica.

... something about using you fingers simply sounds *better*. Picks add an element of "clanginess" that sticks out far too much for something that should be the solid, low foundation of a song.

Anyway. Rambled a little there. Sorry.

The point is, Creed lost a measure of it's signature sound when they lost Brian Marshall. The same would have happened if we lost, say, Mark, Scott, or Flip. Every member of the band was absolutely crucial to the music that was created.

Frankly, if I were Creed, I'd beg my ass off to Brian. Bribe him. Kidnap him. Eat his brain and try to gain his godly Bassist ability. WHATEVER IT WOULD TAKE -- anything! ... to get that same quality and skill.

Brian Marshall is, in a word, irreplacable, and paramount to the Creed quality sound we fell in love with.

Let's be honest with ourselves. If we stopped and listened to Weathered as Creed's first album, would anyone of us here really have such a fascination with their music? Probably not. People who were drawn in by Weathered have, and do, listen to mildly different types of rock, and even other milder forms of music.

People who listened to Creed's first two full album releases had and have different tastes than those who prefer Weathered's brand of music.

The first two had certain quality to them. Each, in their own way, had something special. They were perfect, in my mind, musically, and remain my two most favorite albums of all time. They were just so cohesive, thematic, and driven by simple, honest to goodness raw talent.

Weathered lacked this, in my mind. It felt ... quite simply ... lacking. I believe the bass work attributed to this.

Ok, so we've established that the bass work was REALLY important. And it's true -- every element is important in Creed. Drums, Guitar, Vocals, and Bass -- all important. Without either, it just wouldn't be the Creed we've come to enjoy.

That's why we absolutely need a bassist, seperate from Mark. The man is a guitar-lord-of-doom, but he just doesn't stack up to ANY truly professional bassist. It'd be like having Mark on Drums. Or Stapp at guitar. Or Flip at bass.

Now, it looks like the only choice we have is Brett Hestla. Hmph. He's not ... *bad*.

I suggest hearing "Brother of Mine" by the Virgos. The guitarwork is, actually, by none other than our boy Mark. Hestla takes care of bass/vocals. Some-random-drummer-guy from Virgos did drum work.

Check it out. You can hear the kind of stuff they can create. Personally, it doesn't sound so bad. Almost Creed-worthy, actually.

Brett is said to be a musical genius. They said he was a prodigy in his youth and mastered several elements of music easily.

Well, I say put that man to work. Try him out for an album. If he sucks, then ... well. I don't know. We'll all take turns stabbing Brett in the eye with a broken pencil. Or something.

A LOT is riding on this last album. You guys remember when Metallica was starting to suck after Kill 'Em All/Master of Puppets/Ride the Lightning wasn't really gaining any ground? Not to mention, they also lost their genius-of-a-bassist Cliff Burton?

Well, it was the BLACK album that shut everyone up and kicked some serious ass, as far as worldwide goes. It got them to unheard of heights of acclaim and power, and established them, for all time, as the ultimate Metal/Thrash/Rock/Whatever band of all time.

They became *gods*. And people realized how good their first albums really were.

Before the BLACK album, many people questioned their resolve, playing ability, and so on. They shut everyone up with that awesome, awesome album.

Creed need's their own BLACK album. Coincidentally, it would also be their fourth.

The following needs to happen.

A: Get a bassist. Preferably Hestla, since we've seen a little bit of their work.

B: Get their bassist to fingerpick. Normal pick-attacks come out too "clangy" in the music. *Especially* live.

C: Raise the bar on this album's content -- Stapp needs to draw from this past year's hardships and channel it into emotion. He was getting too cushy and happy to write anything as moving and feeling as MoP or HC.

D: Have Mark re-establish himself as the Rock god of all -- AND, furthermore, have him beat Tom Morello for Guitarist of the Year, 2004.

and E: Creed, overall, needs to cement that they can, will, and shall commit to making awesome music. Once people key into the incredible music they're capable of, even the most stubborn of critics will have to agree --

Creed rocks

Dogstar
10-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Well said, Malevolence, and welcome to the board!

SmilinSkullRing
10-26-2003, 04:49 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Dogstar+10-25-2003 08:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dogstar @ 10-25-2003 08:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Well said, Malevolence, and welcome to the board![/b][/quote]
I second that!

hide
10-26-2003, 07:25 PM
I don't think Weathered bass lines were not as noticeable because Mark is not a good bass player but because they were going for a clean sound. And he's had a lot of time to practise so i'm sure he'll be much better at it now. Saying that I hope Brett does handle bass on the next record to solve the bass riddle and he adds so much more to the band.

musicmind226
10-27-2003, 03:33 PM
Well, sooner or later creed will have to get a bassist, that's if mark wants to totally go into mad guitar scredidge and crazy riffidge. It's just to me, creed has not seemed like a complete band in years.