Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Rename this board to "The Christianity Board" [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Rename this board to "The Christianity Board"

Lechium
09-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Cuz people seem to associate spirituality with bible reading over here. Noone ever talk about other phylosophies and religions (cuz they're all "wrong" right?".
Sorta sad and boring.

Steve
09-23-2003, 03:39 PM
I think the issue is that just about everyone here are Christians so when they discuss religious or spiritual topics, they talk out of their own beliefs.

This board is open to all religious and spiritual topics. It is not limited to Christianity.

Dogstar
09-23-2003, 04:55 PM
If people are strong in their beliefs, they aren't likely to go researching other religions. I don't think they necessarily believe other faiths are wrong, they just don't have the information to discuss them. And Steve's right, it just happens to be that most of the people here are Christians.

Leader of Men
09-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Steve
I think the issue is that just about everyone here are Christians so when they discuss religious or spiritual topics, they talk out of their own beliefs.

This board is open to all religious and spiritual topics. It is not limited to Christianity. Nicely put.

Because Creed has some christian lyrics, they seem to draw a christian crowd

JulieCitySlicker
09-23-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Dogstar
If people are strong in their beliefs, they aren't likely to go researching other religions. I don't think they necessarily believe other faiths are wrong, they just don't have the information to discuss them. And Steve's right, it just happens to be that most of the people here are Christians.

You hit it right on the nose Dogstar:angel:

mel!ssa
09-23-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Lechium
Noone ever talk about other phylosophies and religions.  Sorta sad and boring.

Well i don't see you talking about other philosophies. Anything you ever come up with is 'here's a site to prove Christianity is wrong'.

ZION1010
09-23-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Steve

This board is open to all religious and spiritual topics. It is not limited to Christianity. Im All For It...

bgivens33
09-24-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Dogstar

That's the problem.

Aimee
09-24-2003, 04:25 PM
:rolleyes:
Well i don't see you talking about other philosophies.
You know what, Melissa, you're right. I hadn't thought about it before, but if you don't like that this is a Christian based board, then stop whining about it and put up more threads about other religions. Then, if no-one comes, ivite some other people you know to gather here. Geez. I hate it when people piss and moan instead of finding a solution!

JulieCitySlicker
09-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by bgivens33
That's the problem.
I see absolutely no problem with that;) :rolleyes: We have found the right thing for us, so why research and keep searching for others:confused:

bgivens33
09-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by JulieLovesCreed
I see absolutely no problem with that;) :rolleyes: We have found the right thing for us, so why research and keep searching for others:confused:

Because researching other beliefs is the gateway to tolerance and increased wisdom. How do you plan on "saving" someone if you don't even know what they believe? Saying, "I don't even know what you believe, but I do know it's wrong" is being ignorant.

JulieCitySlicker
09-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Ya:rolleyes: and you were knocking MrSeeker for name calling

Dogstar
09-24-2003, 09:10 PM
Because researching other beliefs is the gateway to tolerance and increased wisdom.  

Amen to that! Well said.

Lechium
09-25-2003, 11:54 AM
<b>Because researching other beliefs is the gateway to tolerance and increased wisdom. &nbsp;How do you plan on "saving" someone if you don't even know what they believe? &nbsp;Saying, "I don't even know what you believe, but I do know it's wrong" is being ignorant. </b>
heh you're so right.
believeing in absolute right and wrong (and thinking that you are absolytly right) makes people pretty reidiculus at times.
also imposing onto others "we will save you" a la missionaries... that's just silly

Torn Signs
09-25-2003, 05:13 PM
anyone a wicca?
;)
I'm not but I know it is all about nature...you can tell me more...

Peace out ;)

Dogstar
09-25-2003, 07:29 PM
I'm not, Torn Signs, but I know two people who are and it does have a lot to do with the seasons and nature according to them. I only have a very superficial knowledge of it, but it does sound interesting.

Aimee
09-26-2003, 12:07 AM
Wicca is an old religion that is sometimes considered satanic, occult and pagan. It is based on worshiping both God and Goddess.
If you study it, you'll find that the early Nordic tribes were wiccan. They used many natural remedies to heal people and held ritualistic ceremonies much like Catholicism today.
Then, when Christianity was approved in Rome, the missionaries went over to transform the Wiccans into Christians. Even going so far as to incorporate their holidays into Christian holidays.
Did you know that the winter solstice was turned into Christmas. Many scientists say that Jesus was probably born in the fall or spring, not December. Also the spring equinox turned into Easter.
I'm not Wiccan, but as a Christian, I don't see it as evil.

Lady Valkyrie
11-12-2003, 10:43 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Aimee+09-25-2003 11:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Aimee @ 09-25-2003 11:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Wicca is an old religion that is sometimes considered satanic, occult and pagan. It is based on worshiping both God and Goddess.
If you study it, you'll find that the early Nordic tribes were wiccan. They used many natural remedies to heal people and held ritualistic ceremonies much like Catholicism today.
Then, when Christianity was approved in Rome, the missionaries went over to transform the Wiccans into Christians. Even going so far as to incorporate their holidays into Christian holidays.
Did you know that the winter solstice was turned into Christmas. Many scientists say that Jesus was probably born in the fall or spring, not December. Also the spring equinox turned into Easter.
I'm not Wiccan, but as a Christian, I don't see it as evil. [/b][/quote]
You are so wrong. First of all How can Wicca be satanic when Wiccans don't even believe in a "satan" or "devil"? They do not worship such dieties. Anyone who thinks so is just regugitating what someone else has told them instead of doing the research for themselves. Pagans yes... satanists they are not... in fact they all cringe at the idea of it. Wicca became "public knowledge" in 1954, when a book titled Witchcraft Today written by Gerald Gardner was first published. Some say Gardner is the "inventor" of Wicca. However, Gardner stated that he himself was initiated into it. Therefore one is to assume that it is much older than that. Throughout history the only way for Witches and Pagans were able to pass on their knowledge was through their covens. And if you were wanting to learn of the ways one would have to find a coven and be invited to join in and then be taught. That's how it's been all over the world for fear of being burned as in "the burning times". Therefore one could assume that this Wicca is indeed acient but only recently public in order for it to have survived as it has.

knifer
11-14-2003, 06:17 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Lady Valkyrie+11-12-2003 10:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lady Valkyrie @ 11-12-2003 10:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> You are so wrong. First of all How can Wicca be satanic when Wiccans don't even believe in a "satan" or "devil"? They do not worship such dieties. Anyone who thinks so is just regugitating what someone else has told them instead of doing the research for themselves. [/b][/quote]
Perhaps you are wrong. Awfully intolerant of you to respond so harshly.

Ya know, something can be satanic with believing Satan exists.

Do some research, you'll see its true.

Lady Valkyrie
11-15-2003, 06:43 AM
How do you know Satan exists? Because the Bible tells you so? Well, if that is what you believe then fine so be it. However, it doesn't make it so. I am assuming that you have faith that there is a God and a Satan then? Well, do you think that just because you believe in them that everyone else has to? Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.

My reply though was aimed towards the fact that the person stated that Wicca was Satanism when in fact the two are not interchangable terms at all.... UNLESS you are a fundamental Christian... THEN anything outside of Christianity is believed to be Satanic in nature. But hey that is their choice to believe that, INTOLERANT as it may be, it is their choice and it is not my place to judge. For my choice in faith states that ALL religious paths lead to The One Divine.

So, I was NOT being harsh I was giving facts on a religion that the person was obviously misinformed of.

Dogstar
11-15-2003, 06:37 PM
Hi, Lady V!!! Nice to see you back 'round these parts!

souldancer
11-15-2003, 07:05 PM
Just reading the title of this thread..my vote would be "NO"...isn';t this suppose to be about Faith and Religion? That;s a whole lot broader. If the Christians want to start their own thread...or have Steve make an additional Christian forum, fine. But, then it's kind of sad..as I really like the song ONE.

knifer
11-17-2003, 10:36 AM
I find it amusing, LV, that you demand that your views be respected, but you are unable to do the same for others.

Here are the hard facts - you are WRONG.

Hard to accept after so many years of self-indulgent pseudo-religion, but try really really hard.......

JulieCitySlicker
11-17-2003, 12:45 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-knifer+11-17-2003 03:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (knifer @ 11-17-2003 03:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I find it amusing, LV, that you demand that your views be respected, but you are unable to do the same for others.

Hard to accept after so many years of self-indulgent pseudo-religion, but try really really hard....... [/b][/quote]
:wtf:
Now I believe you are the one being harsh :flee:

knifer
11-17-2003, 02:08 PM
Its call sarcasm, Julie.

Say it with me, S-A-R-C-A-S-M.

There now, that wasn't so hard, was it?

The truth is hard, harsh thing, especially for the deluded, self-important open minded types. You know the ones - people whose minds are so open their brains fall out.

YOU! Out of the gene pool!

Alter Shredder
11-17-2003, 10:24 PM
Knifer- i too use sarcasm a lot. The problem is that it doesn't come across well when typed.

Well to the original topic at hand, I think any religion should be open for talks. While most of us tend to be christian it does not mean that some of us wouldn't be open for discussion. Personally i find other religions and other sects of the christian church interesting to study and discuss. Currently I am interested in gnosticism. But i have gone vaguely over some of the other world religions and like to discuss them with people.

creedsister
11-17-2003, 10:46 PM
What the heck is gnosticisim,,iced

JulieCitySlicker
11-17-2003, 11:43 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-knifer+11-17-2003 07:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (knifer @ 11-17-2003 07:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Its call sarcasm, Julie.

Say it with me, S-A-R-C-A-S-M.

There now, that wasn't so hard, was it?

The truth is hard, harsh thing, especially for the deluded, self-important open minded types.&nbsp; You know the ones - people whose minds are so open their brains fall out.

YOU!&nbsp; Out of the gene pool! [/b][/quote]
:wtf: Hey, it wasn't me that pissed in your cherrios :eyebrow:

Sorry :redface: :yikes: You caught me on a bad day :thud:

Torn Signs
11-19-2003, 05:43 PM
WHOAH, WHOAH, slow it down a bit. Yes, reading and understanding is important...with that should be this board now...this topic. Shwew! ;)

SmilinSkullRing
11-21-2003, 03:44 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-bgivens33+09-24-2003 04:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bgivens33 @ 09-24-2003 04:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Originally posted by JulieLovesCreed

Because researching other beliefs is the gateway to tolerance and increased wisdom. How do you plan on "saving" someone if you don't even know what they believe? Saying, "I don't even know what you believe, but I do know it's wrong" is being ignorant. [/b][/quote]
Well said.

SmilinSkullRing
11-21-2003, 03:48 AM
Lady Valkyrie,
I may be wrong, but I think Aimee was saying that some people see/think Wicca is satanic. I don't think she meant she believes it is. If she does believe that it is satanic then she is wrong.

SmilinSkullRing
11-21-2003, 03:54 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-knifer+11-17-2003 10:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (knifer @ 11-17-2003 10:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I find it amusing, LV, that you demand that your views be respected, but you are unable to do the same for others.

Hard to accept after so many years of self-indulgent pseudo-religion, but try really really hard.......[/b][/quote]

How is LV being intolerant to other's views? I see nothing wrong with her posts so far. She even says that she believes we can find our way to our higher power through all/many faiths. I think you may want to start something simply because she believes in a faith that bothers you because of not completely understanding it.

Read your posts and then hers and find out who is being more accepting or respectful.

bgivens33
11-23-2003, 07:15 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Lady Valkyrie+11-15-2003 11:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lady Valkyrie @ 11-15-2003 11:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> For my choice in faith states that ALL religious paths lead to The One Divine.
[/b][/quote]
Strangely enough, if you study world religions, all the big religions are so incredibly alike, it's scary.

Islam, arguably(I think it's true) they worship the same God as the Christian God.

Hindu, a bit different, but so much similar. The big difference in which some Christians call blasphemous is that Hindus believe Vishnu(can be interpreted as Jesus) is part of us. Interpreted as Christians as every person is part-God. Both sides have a case, but if you are a Calvanist, you might be inclined to take side with Hindus.

And the big overlying principle is that all the religions have basically the same teachings but with different encapsulations. Yea, Muslims get bad press about all of their exteme beliefs, but Christians have that same little group.

To stake claim that one religion is right and the others are wrong is completely ignorant. I know I know, you feel it in your heart that you are right... ask a Muslim/Wiccan/Hindu/Buddhist... what do you think they are going to say??? The key is tolerance.

Dogstar
11-23-2003, 07:31 PM
The key is tolerance.

Exactly!

knifer
11-28-2003, 12:17 PM
And what exactly is "tolerance"?

In our culture, tolerance has been exalted as the highest virtue to be embraced and pursued. It would appear that intolerance is our society’s greatest sin. The intolerant person is the one thing that cannot be tolerated, the one person who must be shamed or silenced.

What you are insisting on isn’t tolerance, but "forced neutrality," that is, not ever voicing disagreement or objection to anything.

For example, when a Christian looks at the increasing popularity of Buddhism in American culture, what does genuine tolerance look like? It’s Christians saying, "Well, we think the main ideas of Buddhism aren’t true because they are in conflict with the Christian faith, but we certainly affirm the right of Buddhists to practice their faith freely and without hindrance."

But the "forced neutrality" you speak of simply won’t accept that, but instead it insists that Christians say, "Well, you know, Buddhism is just as true and valid way to know God as any other religion is, including the Christian faith."

Tolerance, according to The American Heritage Dictionary is “the capacity for or practice of recognizing and respecting the opinions, practices, or behavior of others.”

When you talk about “tolerating” something, what generally comes to mind?

I think of things like brussel sprouts. Or blueberry pie.

I don’t like these, but I tolerate them if they’re offered to me.

I tolerate other people’s opinions about me, but that doesn’t mean that I agree or accept them at face value.

When you tolerate something, you’re putting up with something you don’t necessarily like.

But that’s not what you want, is it?. I have to not only respect or recognize a different opinion, practice, or behavior, but embrace and celebrate it as well to meet your definition of tolerance.

Tolerance does not mean acceptance, and it certainly does not mean celebration.

And if you tell me that I have no right to believe as I do, you are not being very tolerant, according to you own implied definition.

The Lithium
11-28-2003, 12:39 PM
I don't believe in God... I have kind of my own faith.

bgivens33
11-28-2003, 05:33 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-knifer+11-28-2003 05:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (knifer @ 11-28-2003 05:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> And what exactly is "tolerance"?

In our culture, tolerance has been exalted as the highest virtue to be embraced and pursued. It would appear that intolerance is our society’s greatest sin. The intolerant person is the one thing that cannot be tolerated, the one person who must be shamed or silenced.

What you are insisting on isn’t tolerance, but "forced neutrality," that is, not ever voicing disagreement or objection to anything.

For example, when a Christian looks at the increasing popularity of Buddhism in American culture, what does genuine tolerance look like? It’s Christians saying, "Well, we think the main ideas of Buddhism aren’t true because they are in conflict with the Christian faith, but we certainly affirm the right of Buddhists to practice their faith freely and without hindrance."

But the "forced neutrality" you speak of simply won’t accept that, but instead it insists that Christians say, "Well, you know, Buddhism is just as true and valid way to know God as any other religion is, including the Christian faith."

Tolerance, according to The American Heritage Dictionary is “the capacity for or practice of recognizing and respecting the opinions, practices, or behavior of others.”

When you talk about “tolerating” something, what generally comes to mind?

I think of things like brussel sprouts. Or blueberry pie.

I don’t like these, but I tolerate them if they’re offered to me.

I tolerate other people’s opinions about me, but that doesn’t mean that I agree or accept them at face value.

When you tolerate something, you’re putting up with something you don’t necessarily like.

But that’s not what you want, is it?. I have to not only respect or recognize a different opinion, practice, or behavior, but embrace and celebrate it as well to meet your definition of tolerance.

Tolerance does not mean acceptance, and it certainly does not mean celebration.

And if you tell me that I have no right to believe as I do, you are not being very tolerant, according to you own implied definition. [/b][/quote]
You are absolutely correct. I didn't mean to imply that you have to accept other peoples religious beliefs as the truth. What I was trying to say is that IMO... all the main religions are the same. And in my perfect world, I would love everyone to come to that conclusion and be willing to accept that there are different paths to God. But, on the same token, I know that isn't going to happen. So I will settle for respecting other peoples veiws.

"What you are insisting on isn’t tolerance, but "forced neutrality," that is, not ever voicing disagreement or objection to anything."

I would think that my big problem with that is that it seems people of any religion(not just Christianity) will try to voice their disagreements without the consent of the other party. That isn't tolerence. If I tell you, this is my belief, and you say "you are wrong... Jesus is the only way to God"... that isn't tolerence. I know you(not you in particular) might believe that, but it isn't necessary to tell that person unless that person requests that.

I'm not going to sit here and say I am unbiased towards all religions. I grew up a Christian so I tend to hold Christians to the highest standard and give them the hardest time. I have my reasons for doing so, but all and all, I have many incredible Christian friends of whom I don't understand why they believe the way they do, but it's their beliefs. I used to be one of them. I would encourage everyone to try to understand others beliefs though. Not accept, but understand... or at least try to understand.

creedsister
11-28-2003, 06:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-extreme_LITHIUM+11-28-2003 12:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (extreme_LITHIUM @ 11-28-2003 12:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I don't believe in God... I have kind of my own faith. [/b][/quote]
yea me to,,,lol

Aimee
01-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Lady Valkyrie,
I may be wrong, but I think Aimee was saying that some people see/think Wicca is satanic. I don't think she meant she believes it is. If she does believe that it is satanic then she is wrong.

How did I miss this debate? Damn. So at the risk of stirring up more crap, here I go. LadyV CHILL OUT! Once again, you have jumped to conclusions and put yourself of the defensive and made sure to point out how wrong and ignorant someone (me this time) is and how intelligent you are. It has only shown how un-intelligent you are and that you cannot even have a civil devate without putting your own emotions into it. As a matter of fact, I DID mean exactly what SSR has implied, that some people assume , wrongly, this religion is satanic. Duh. And not only that, but I have done my research about this very old religion and wanted to state the plain facts, not drag in all the other stuff about covens and what-not, because there's no reason to confuse people more when they're learning about something new. So, no, just because I did not WRITE those things down, does not mean I am not aware that they are true. It dissapoints me that, after all the times I have gotten your back, you do not give me the benefit of the doubt on this matter, and that you were so quick to point out what a "bigot" I am (implied, of course). I only regret that I was not there to defend myself when you said it.

archie bunker
02-16-2004, 01:21 PM
:rolleyes:

You know what, Melissa, you're right. I hadn't thought about it before, but if you don't like that this is a Christian based board, then stop whining about it and put up more threads about other religions. Then, if no-one comes, ivite some other people you know to gather here. Geez. I hate it when people piss and moan instead of finding a solution!
AMEN GIRL!!!! :)