Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
brett or mark? [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : brett or mark?

hide
09-10-2003, 08:36 PM
who would you rather did the back-up vocals for Creed? Brett for me is clearly a better vocalist and would allow Mark to concentrate more on his guitar work and shredding. Although I would still prefer to hear Mark do the chorus for My Own Prison.

It would be even better if in the next album Mark and/or Brett write a song for themselves to sing solo, would show the talents of the bands to others and I would love to hear one of these guys for an entire song on a Creed record.

My first post here can't wait til the next album a year is much too long!

Dogstar
09-10-2003, 08:47 PM
Welcome, Hide, hope you enjoy yourself here. It's a fun group! As to your question, I would go with Brett. He's got a pretty decent voice.

hotforscott
09-10-2003, 09:02 PM
I would go with Mark!

hide
09-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Virgos have no profile whatsoever down under in Australia, the only song i've heard is Brother of Mine and it is so touching he has a great voice. What do we think of Brett or Mark singing solo on the next record?

Dogstar
09-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Hmmmm, dunno about that one. Scott S has such a powerful voice...Maybe one song would be OK :D.

hide
09-10-2003, 09:16 PM
i would only want one song as well, i am a massive Pearl Jam fan and in their album "No Code" Stone Gossard their 2nd guitarist wrote and sings solo. His not Eddie Vedder but its cool to hear someone else, and the fans can appreciate other's singing talents more.

Dogstar
09-10-2003, 09:38 PM
Yeah, as long as he can carry a song vocally, I don't have a problem with it. I would need to hear more of Mark to decide, but I don't think he's as vocally strong as Brett is.

Alice In Chains' guitarist also sang lead on quite a few of their songs, especially on their EP and their self-titled CD. He's not as strong vocally as Layne Staley was, but he sings well enough and has a lot of feeling in his singing. Plus, he wrote awesome harmonies.

hide
09-10-2003, 09:44 PM
Mark was planning a solo-project and I guess he'll do it after the album so he has to be fairly strong to pull that off. Brett can obviously carry a song vocally as the lead singer of Virgos. I think you are talking about Jerry Cantrall he is making some great music at the moment.

Dogstar
09-10-2003, 09:46 PM
Hell yeah, Jerry Cantrell ROCKS. He's my other obsession aside from Creed :D. Do you have Degradation Trip Vols. 1 & 2? It's awesome. I got it the day it came out here (December) and I still listen to it four or five times a week.

hide
09-10-2003, 09:59 PM
no i don't have that at the moment although I've got a cool suggestion. We have the remants of Soundgarden and RATM and STP and GNR making great new groups how about this one.

Lead Guitar-Jerry Cantrall
Bass-Kris Novolesic(sp)
Drums-Dave A (formerly of chilli peppers and pearl jam)
Vocals-could have Jerry or get someone like Weiland.

my other obsession is Pearl Jam who are my fav band awesome live, simply awesome. They change up their setlists every night and McCready is the man.

Dogstar
09-10-2003, 10:07 PM
Yep, PJ is high on my list as well. I FINALLY got to see them live this year! WHAT A SHOW! And you're right, McCready is amazing. Do you have the Mad Season video? He absolutely kicks a** on the song November Hotel.

Wow, that would be an interesting lineup. Jerry does need a band, that's for sure. I think his stuff would sell better if he had a band again.

Dogstar
09-10-2003, 10:08 PM
You HAVE to get Degradation Trip 1 & 2. It's sooooo awesome. I think it's some of the best work he's done! Have you downloaded any of the songs? Do you have Boggy Depot?

hide
09-10-2003, 10:16 PM
i have to admit that i haven't bought any of Jerry's stuff yet but it is very good. Krist also needs a band as well as Dave and Jerry' stuff would sell much better this way. I spend a bit of time on the Pearl Jam board and as you probably know Creed are not too popular there but there are a few mutual fans. Stone Gossard's Bayleaf is something you have to get, not like PJ at all but fantastic.

Wylde-Tremonti
09-10-2003, 10:22 PM
ok...1st of all...Brother of Mine was not very good...sorry...but it was lacking.... I would go w/ Mark...his voice may not be "strong" ,as in versatility, as Brett's...but i think it sounds better....

hide
09-10-2003, 10:30 PM
what was wrong with Brother of Mine? I thought the lyrics were well thought out and his voice sounds very heartfelt. Brett sounds a little like the lead singer from 3 Doors Down to me.

Dogstar
09-10-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by hide
i have to admit that i haven't bought any of Jerry's stuff yet but it is very good.  ... I spend a bit of time on the Pearl Jam board and as you probably know Creed are not too popular there but there are a few mutual fans.  Stone Gossard's Bayleaf is something you have to get, not like PJ at all but fantastic.

I highly recommend both Jerry CDs if you can find them where you are. Good, good stuff. Yeah, I hang out at a Jerry board and Creed aren't popular there, either, but I don't care. I like what I like :D.

I also would recommend the Mad Season CD and video...It's McCready, Layne Staley, Barrett Martin and Baker...awesome side project. If you get a chance, download November Hotel. McCready is the man on that song.

I'll definitely check out Gossards Bayleaf. Thanks

hide
09-10-2003, 11:06 PM
other side-projects are most you will know:

Temple of the Dog
Brad
Wellwater Conspiracy
Green River
Bad Radio
Mother Love Bone
Rockfords

a lot of these are pre-PJ, Brad is really good involves Stone once again and lead singer is Shawn Smith. Wellwater is psycadellic stuff with Matt Cameron (formerly Soundgarden's drummer) lead singer. The Rockfords is McCready's current side-project.

By the way do we consider Virgos, Troy Stetina Project and Submersed as Creed side-projects? I guess Brett isn't Creed's bassist yet but I think its merely a matter of time.

facelessman
09-10-2003, 11:14 PM
Welcome Hide. I would go with Mark, b/c i has always done it and id like for him to continue to do it, or at least they could alternate.

Dogstar
09-10-2003, 11:17 PM
other side-projects are most you will know:

Temple of the Dog
Brad
Wellwater Conspiracy
Green River
Bad Radio
Mother Love Bone
Rockfords

I don't have Brad or Wellwater Conspiracy...or Rockfords...I have been wanting to check out Rockfords. Temple of the Dog and MLB RULE...Love them tons.

hide
09-11-2003, 12:03 AM
Brad is well worth checking out you should like it, Wellwater is a little different so i'm not sure if you will like that. Rockfords pre-date PJ well worth checking out.

Wylde-Tremonti
09-11-2003, 10:27 PM
what was wrong with Brother of Mine?  I thought the lyrics were well thought out and his voice sounds very heartfelt.  Brett sounds a little like the lead singer from 3 Doors Down to me.
The Music sucked... Mark may have just as well not even played on the track cuz his part wasn't even audible...there was really no hook in the song as i recall...lyrics and senserity arent everything...w/o a hook...they're nothing. and he does not sound like Brad Arnold...sorry.

facelessman
09-11-2003, 11:23 PM
whoa

hide
09-12-2003, 04:53 AM
the focus is the lyrics and vocals and so the music isn't meant to be the focus. There seems to be many here who like the song, and i found the song had a great hook.

Jez
09-12-2003, 05:00 AM
I'm so happy to see other people who're as crazy about Temple of the Dog as I am! I like MLB too, but not nearly as much as the former. I discovered TotD back in the early 90's....loved them ever since...

facelessman
09-13-2003, 01:23 AM
what i like about Creed is that the lyrics as well as the music are the focal points...in most songs at least

hide
09-14-2003, 02:03 AM
firstly faceless man i agree with you in the most part the music and the lyrics are both central although the songs are so structured philips and tremonti don't get so much chance to jam.

jez there is a cool pj site called www.giventofly.it (http://www.giventofly.it) that has live songs of just about everything including covers of mlb and totd. has chris cornell with eddie in the early 90's. incredibly eddie saids just 2 years before that night he was at a pearl jam concert. imagine one of us at a creed concert and 2 years later doing the high part for scott.

Mulletman
09-14-2003, 12:44 PM
im going with brett, i like his voice alot better

Aimee
09-14-2003, 03:51 PM
:bump: