Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Defining Creed's musical genre.... survey [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Defining Creed's musical genre.... survey

velocityidp
07-26-2003, 01:45 AM

Dogstar
07-26-2003, 02:50 AM
They are definitely not nor have been *metal* anything, but with Weathered, I'd say they ventured more into the pop/rock category, though, there are some harder songs on that CD. MOP was definitely more hard rock IMO....
I'm not sure they really fit into one category per se...Is your point that they don't know what they want to be?

BTW, what's with all the polls, anyway? :D

velocityidp
07-26-2003, 02:52 AM
Dunno, just thought I'd go poll crazy... lol.

I personally think Creed's "style" is grunge/metal because of tremonti's metal influences.

Dogstar
07-26-2003, 02:59 AM
I think there is some grunge/metal influence, but I wouldn't classify them in that style. I don't think their music and lyrics are hard enough for metal. Rock, yes, but not metal. When I think of grunge/metal, I think Alice In Chains. AIC's lyrics also are a lot darker than Creed's and their guitar sounds are much heavier, thicker and gloomier in a lot of ways. I'm rambling...long day at work, so I apologize if I'm not making any sense. :D

hotforscott
07-26-2003, 03:25 AM
I know I didn't really feel they fell into any of the categories listed above as well so I didn't vote.

I think the polls are much better then all of Jimmy's new threads...............lol, he must be acting in X's absence.

Dogstar
07-26-2003, 03:28 AM
LMAO, Carrie...What are you doing up so late, by the way ;)?

hotforscott
07-26-2003, 03:29 AM
I woke up when Daniel came in from work and I can't go back to sleep. I hate that.

Dogstar
07-26-2003, 03:31 AM
Bummer! Well, I'm glad you popped in. Nice to see, no matter what the hour :D!

hotforscott
07-26-2003, 03:35 AM
Thanks, you, too. Are you always on this late? I should actually try to get to bed, I have TONS to do tomorrow and I don't want to do any of it. It's like when I am off work, I am not really off. I wish I could take a vacation this coming week. I need it. LOL. I will see you on here soon. I need to force myself to bed, I have to get up early. Have a good night/day!

Dogstar
07-26-2003, 03:48 AM
Hey, you have a good one, too! Yes, I'm typically on late at night, though I haven't been on as much lately...I've been so busy of late! Sleep well!

JenRN
07-26-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by hotforscott
I know I didn't really feel they fell into any of the categories listed above as well so I didn't vote.

I think the polls are much better then all of Jimmy's new threads...............lol, he must be acting in X's absence.
I agree they don't fit any of these. I think just plain ROCK would classify them best!

goddess_bb
07-26-2003, 12:16 PM
Creed is not Metal...please..if you think they are metal you need to go buy a Metallica CD or Zombie CD..that's metal..you can hear some of Mark's "metal" influences in his gutiar work but I have always thought that Scott's lyrics are too soft to be considered metal...don't get me wrong I like Creed but they are more "rock" at best or sometimes pop rock at worst...

Bridge of Clay
07-26-2003, 03:33 PM
creed is... creed rock!

facelessman
07-27-2003, 02:49 AM
hmmm- the age old question...what is Creeds music. I really think thats hard to decide. i can hear a lot of Mark's metal influence in some of their songs. some of them remind me of Metallica. but its hard to classify Creeds music when they mix those hard riffs with the deep, emotional, and spiritual lyrics. i think their in a classification of their own, maybe along with 3 doors down.

Unforgiven Fan
07-28-2003, 02:11 PM
weathered was "sculpture rock"
human clay was "hard rock"
MOP was "post - grunge hard rock"

they only resemblence to metal is some of the guitar parts mark does but that is the only thing. They have not gone into pop rock territory truely and they are not a pop rock band.

Lechium
07-28-2003, 05:57 PM
Am I the only oen who puts them in pop section? But if they're not pop rock than who is?

JulieCitySlicker
07-28-2003, 06:21 PM
Creed pop rock...nah;)

Lechium
07-28-2003, 07:25 PM
who is than?

JulieCitySlicker
07-28-2003, 08:08 PM
Not trying to bash them or anything;) But I think Linkin Park is kinda pop rock:) I like them though.

velocityidp
07-28-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Lechium
who is than?

Well, I don't think in any way that Creed is pop rock, but I must admit that Weathered got them kinda close.

Pop rock would be bands like "The Calling" or "Avril Lavine" or something like that.

Lechium
07-28-2003, 08:59 PM
Pop = mass apeal (after all it's POPular)
creed is just that

JulieCitySlicker
07-28-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by velocityidp
<b>Well, I don't think in any way that Creed is pop rock, but I must admit that Weathered got them kinda close.

Pop rock would be bands like "The Calling" or "Avril Lavine" or something like that. </b>
Ya;) The Calling and Avril kinda suck:eek:

velocityidp
07-28-2003, 09:03 PM
Well Metallica is popular too... they're probably more popular than Creed.

Is Metallica pop rock? I mean heck, there are lots of popular hard rock bands out there. You can't just all of a sudden classify their style as "pop rock" once their fanbase crosses a certain threshold.

It's an esoteric term. I think "pop rock" is defined best as "rock-style" music that sounds like pure pop-music.

Lechium
07-28-2003, 09:11 PM
Metallica is touring with Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit (and Kid Rock some time back). You tell me if they sold out (and therefoire are pop) or still are true to their roots.

JulieCitySlicker
07-28-2003, 09:15 PM
Limp Bizkit:throwup: They ruined that tour:rolleyes:

velocityidp
07-28-2003, 09:40 PM
Metallica is touring with Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit (and Kid Rock some time back). You tell me if they sold out (and therefoire are pop) or still are true to their roots.

"pop rock" is a musical genre, like soft rock or hard rock or metal. In the classical sense, it has nothing to do with the amount of tickets you sell.

Hip hop is *very* popular nowadays along with rap. Do we therefore call rap music pop-music? Come on.

"pop" has always been associated with the typical NSync/Britney/Christina/Backstreet Boys/etc that's been out there forever.

Lechium
07-28-2003, 10:09 PM
<b>"pop rock" is a musical genre, like soft rock or hard rock or metal. In the classical sense, it has nothing to do with the amount of tickets you sell. &nbsp;

Hip hop is *very* popular nowadays along with rap. Do we therefore call rap music pop-music? Come on. &nbsp;

"pop" has always been associated with the typical NSync/Britney/Christina/Backstreet Boys/etc that's been out there forever. </b>

hip hop != rap, although some people dont know it.
commercial stuff aka pop is rap. Nelly and such are rap.
hip hop is more true to the roots, Jurassic 5, Black Eyed Peas, Mos Def and suchare hip hop.

it's not about tickets you sell, but it is about adapting your music to fit the market. If you conform -- you're playing pop, that's all there is to it.

velocityidp
07-28-2003, 10:15 PM
"Conform" is a pretty general word. Lots of groups in the hard rock arena conform to the hard rock sound. So I guess they are pop-rock too?

Lechium
07-28-2003, 10:30 PM
they are sellouts
99% of stuff on the radio is pop

velocityidp
07-29-2003, 01:55 AM
they are sellouts
99% of stuff on the radio is pop

So you're saying all bands that conform to the "hard rock sound" are sellouts? If your music attracts large crowds, you're a sellout? If your music is on the radio, you're a sellout pop artist?

Good grief, man, get back to reality. Musicians are not just some strange breed of people that merrily go about life not worrying about making money. Any serious musician -- even classical musicians -- want to make as much money as possible from their profession. We're not living in some dreamy wonderland.

Lechium
07-29-2003, 01:58 AM
<b>So you're saying all bands that conform to the "hard rock sound" are sellouts? If your music attracts large crowds, you're a sellout? If your music is on the radio, you're a sellout pop artist?

Good grief, man, get back to reality. Musicians are not just some strange breed of people that merrily go about life not worrying about making money. Any serious musician -- even classical musicians -- want to make as much money as possible from their profession. We're not living in some dreamy wonderland. </b>
I think you misunderstand word "conform".
When band changes their sound into a more commercial direction -- that's conforming.

p.s. not sure about "as much money as possible" clause thou. Mozart was poor to the point that he was buried in a commons grave. Some try to make as much money as they can, some are fine with just decent income.

velocityidp
07-29-2003, 02:43 AM
<b>I think you misunderstand word "conform".
When band changes their sound into a more commercial direction -- that's conforming.</b>

I think you misunderstood that I was talking about "conforming" as is "conforming to the 'hard-rock sound.'" There's a difference.

Mozart was poor to the point that he was buried in a commons grave.

Mozart made a fortune but squandered it all. He lived in splendor until his personal deamons caught up with him. I kind of understand your point but he's a bad example.

Some try to make as much money as they can, some are fine with just decent income.

Right. But you're saying the ones that want to make a lot of money are "sellouts." That's not necessarily true.

Lechium
07-29-2003, 03:33 AM
<b>I think you misunderstood that I was talking about "conforming" as is "conforming to the 'hard-rock sound.'" There's a difference.</b>
I was talking about conforiming to radio standarts, mtv and pop culture. As in changing what band originally was after it had got a record deal. Happens all the time.

Unforgiven Fan
07-29-2003, 10:20 PM
well sometimes they change there sound because they, themselves, changed from all the things going on around them and not nessarly trying to embrace one or the other to sell more.

JulieCitySlicker
07-29-2003, 11:42 PM
I agree Unforgiven Fan;) Very good point:P

Rune
07-29-2003, 11:59 PM
I think it really differs from song to song...

I mean you've got epic songs like WAWO, Faceless Man etc.

Then you have like your mainstream stuff like My Sacrifice and One Last Breath

THen you have your hard rock/metal kind of stuff like Bullets, Freedom Fighter, Unforgiven, etc.

So it's really hard to say overall what kind of band creed is.

velocityidp
07-30-2003, 12:05 AM
Yeah, but all I'm saying is that I fear a general progression toward the "mainstream."

To me, a lot is hanging on this next record. It's going to define weather I classify myself as a "Creed Fan" or an "Old-School Creed Fan."

Know what I mean?

facelessman
07-30-2003, 01:37 AM
Lechium is right. when you have a big fan base or have lots of radio play, you are pop, but not pop as in that britney spears crap, but pop as in popular. people often get it confused, but there is a difference between pop music and pop(ular) music.

velocityidp
07-30-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by facelessman
Lechium is right. when you have a big fan base or have lots of radio play, you are pop, but not pop as in that britney spears crap, but pop as in popular. people often get it confused, but there is a difference between pop music and pop(ular) music.

Uh, that's what I've been trying to say the whole time. ;)

facelessman
07-30-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Unforgiven Fan
<b>weathered was "sculpture rock"
human clay was "hard rock"
MOP was "post - grunge hard rock"

they only resemblence to metal is some of the guitar parts mark does but that is the only thing. They have not gone into pop rock territory truely and they are not a pop rock band. </b>
I agree

facelessman
07-30-2003, 01:48 AM
<b>Yeah, but all I'm saying is that I fear a general progression toward the "mainstream."

To me, a lot is hanging on this next record. It's going to define weather I classify myself as a "Creed Fan" or an "Old-School Creed Fan."

Know what I mean? </b>
yeah man i know what you mean.

Rune
07-30-2003, 03:00 AM
basically, if you want lech to be a fan of your band, make a band but don't make any money and don't change your music so you can do so

lol

It may be selling out lech, but everyone's gotta pay the bills (personally if i got rich i wouldn't waste it on a mansion or cars or anything like that, i'd buy myself a nice NORMAL sized house, a cheap honda and then spend the rest on food LOL.....nah i'd probably just put it in a bank or something, i could never find anything to spend money on cept maybe guitar equipment...hehe)

velocityidp
07-30-2003, 03:07 AM
I can understand Lechium's perspective to a certain extent, it's just that I think he's a bit too hard on successful musicians. There's nothing wrong with making money.

But I would agree with him on the whole "conforming to the mainstream" to make more $$ issue. Is Creed doing that? I don't think so, but their last CD has given me a reason to re-evaluate the issue. Even the (questionably) famed group Nirvana had their run-in with the "mainstream." Will Creed hop into the pop-rock arena? I sure hope not. We'll all have a better idea once the next album rolls out.

Unforgiven Fan
07-30-2003, 04:34 PM
well I have listen to "pop" rock artists and Creed is leaning towards that way but maybe it was because of the pressure on them to produce Human Clay 2, and they did not know how to do it, so they tried to appeal to the masses and not truely looked to themselves for the sound of the Weathered.

velocityidp
07-30-2003, 04:44 PM
That, and the fact that they only spent 3 weeks writing and recording the material. Even with the somewhat "watered down" sound of Weathered, I find it totally incredible they were able to produce the quality that they did.

OK, I'll grant Creed this one foray into rock that was on the border of pop-rock. I would like to hear something more hardcore, creative and **lyrically substantive** than Weathered in the next album.

That's going to require the group getting back to taking TIME to write their songs instead of rushing it to the extreme. Quality and creativity come only with time.

And by this time I think everyone agrees -- bass lines must be written by a *bassist* this time! This is one of the major reasons Weathered fell so flat, IMO.

Unforgiven Fan
07-30-2003, 05:26 PM
yep, bass lines need to be done right, and I think we can all agree if someone does the bass lines besides Mark, then Mark will do better in playing the guitar and help Scott write good lyrics, but they might not do it.

Bridge of Clay
07-30-2003, 06:39 PM
wtf is sculpture rock?

and who the hell said Avril Lavigne is a band?

facelessman
07-30-2003, 11:30 PM
Yeah, some songs on Weathered flirted with pop-rock, but on the other hand, some of the songs were hard. take bullets for instance, that is a hard song. I remember the first time i heard that song i was like -is this Creed? i think that Weathered became more mainstream b/c of the success of HC, and they felt pressured to follow it up with something good.

Dogstar
07-30-2003, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I'm sure Wind-Up Records had plenty to do with that pressure. I hope they can stand up to the execs and produce what they feel is honest music. Not that Weathered wasn't, but it did seem to have an aim toward pleasing everybody. And that just doesn't work most of the time.

velocityidp
07-31-2003, 12:05 AM
I don't agree w/ blaming execs -- especially now that Creed has been so fiscally successful. Weathered was the way it was because CREED wanted it that way, not some evil executive dressed in a black suit.

I can kinda see your point, but in the final analysis, the final responsibility lies with the members of the band.

Dogstar
07-31-2003, 01:09 AM
I think it's a little more complicated than that. The record labels wield quite a bit of control, financially and marketing/radio play-wise. It really depends on the deal they worked out. I'm not saying Creed are guiltless in this. It all boils down to how much money they want to make. Often, if a band wants commercial success, at least in these times, it has to give up some sort of creative control and adapt/change to what the labels believe will sell a million copies. There are several bands out there who are eschewing the major labels and going it alone, through the web or through their own companies. They don't get radio play because they can't afford to pay the station owners enough to play their stuff. Distribution deals are also key. Most of these bands going it alone tour and sell their CDs directly to fans. So yes, I agree that ultimately the responsiblity lies with the artist as far as what they want to create, but getting it out there is another story. Creed are established enough now, financially and otherwise, to be bold and do something that doesn't necessarily pander to the masses.

velocityidp
07-31-2003, 01:24 AM
That's what I've been trying to say :)

Dogstar
07-31-2003, 01:38 AM
So, we agree, I think. It's just that it is a two-way street. You have to have labels that are willing to take a chance on something if they think it's good. Unfortunately, that's just not the case today. It's all about the profit margin and making a killing quickly, rather than letting an artist develop and grow with each album. These days, if it doesn't go gold, there are no second chances for a lot of bands. And if the bands don't have the sound or formula the labels have determined will sell, they don't even have a chance in the first place. This homogenization is due in large part to a very few companies now controlling the labels, the radio stations and the concert venues. Clear Channel Entertainment is a perfect example. Demographic studies and marketing strategies have gone too far and are closing the public off to some really good music. It's out there, but most of America isn't hearing it.

velocityidp
07-31-2003, 01:48 AM
My point was that Creed has pretty much free rein over what material they put out there because Wind Up knows Creed is their cash cow.

With this SPECIFIC case and at this SPECIFIC time, I don't think anyone can blame execs if Weathered sounded too commercial. I wasn't talking about record companies in general.

Dogstar
07-31-2003, 01:53 AM
No artist has free rein when it comes to record labels. The minute they stop selling enough, Wind-Up won't be so eager to push them.

velocityidp
07-31-2003, 01:59 AM
1) Creed themselves said they had, ostensibly, free rein on Weathered.

2) They've had free rein on all their videos for Weathered.

Conclusion: Weathered was, for all intensive purposes, exactly what Creed wanted to put out.

Lechium
07-31-2003, 01:59 AM
you know, if wind up is so evil, why wount they go to a smaller indie label -- they usually give artists more freedom.
guess wind up's paycheck is sweeter than freedom of art. oh well they got only dozen of millions each -- gotta get more, and art is secondary...

velocityidp
07-31-2003, 02:02 AM
you know, if wind up is so evil, why wount they go to a smaller indie label -- they usually give artists more freedom.
guess wind up's paycheck is sweeter than freedom of art. oh well they got only dozen of millions each -- gotta get more, and art is secondary...

Uhm, Windup was an itty bitty label when Creed started up. Come to think of it, Wind Up is still a small label compared to the likes of Sony and their cohorts.

You assume that Creed makes music only for money -- pretty cynical, and I don't think that's true.

Lechium
07-31-2003, 02:07 AM
Uhm, Windup was an itty bitty label when Creed started up. Come to think of it, Wind Up is still a small label compared to the likes of Sony and their cohorts.

You assume that Creed makes music only for money -- pretty cynical, and I don't think that's true.

A lot of people said -- creed is getting a bit popier because wind up makes them. Well they are bands who dont.

And wind up is pretty big compared to most other indie lables. if creed was to sign with say Epitah, Anti, Ipecac or Discord, they'd have almost complete freedom of experession.

Lechium
07-31-2003, 02:13 AM
p.s. oh yeah wind up has at least 3 bands who went multi platinum. that's not itsy bitsy. Discord for example has been around longer and still doesnt have a gold record. Epitah got only one platinum record (offspring), and they lost offspring to a major label as soon as they got big. Itsy bitsy label is one that is happy to appear on billboard charts. wind up does it like nothing, so they are a success story but not a true indie label anymore.

Dogstar
07-31-2003, 02:13 AM
1) Creed themselves said they had, ostensibly, free rein on Weathered.

2) They've had free rein on all their videos for Weathered.

Conclusion: Weathered was, for all intensive purposes, exactly what Creed wanted to put out.

That's what they say publicly, but I don't buy it. They're not going to piss off their label. Wind-Up also had Dust For Life, and when that band bitched publicly about some promises that weren't kept regarding touring and support, I believe, Dust For Life suddenly was stuck in limbo and in a deal they can't get out of. Meanwhile, Wind-Up is yanking their chain. They shut down DFL's web site and they haven't been heard from since late 2001 or early 2002. Unless a band is bankrolling their own project, no artist has free rein with a label.

If Weathered was indeed exactly what Creed wanted to put out as you said, then it is all about money, otherwise, that record would have been much harder.

velocityidp
07-31-2003, 02:16 AM
Yeah, and nobody hears them. I know you're one of those underground hip-hop guys, but we're talking about the "mainstream" rock industry. There's nothing inherrently wrong with it, just like there's nothing inherrently wrong w/ the underground hip-hop industry.

As soon as hip-hop becomes less underground and more above ground, are you going to ditch it JUST because of that?

By the way, Creed rose to fame as an underground band... you and I both know Creed is an exception to the rule -- a band with a huge grassroots fanbase. Now we can argue how that fanbase has changed over the last few years, but that fact remains. I hope Creed decides to go back to its roots.

velocityidp
07-31-2003, 02:21 AM
If Weathered was indeed exactly what Creed wanted to put out as you said, then it is all about money, otherwise, that record would have been much harder.

Or perhaps that's just what they wanted to write? I mean come on... Like I said, just because something sounds a bit "poppy" doesn't instantly mean some bigwig exec force-fed it down an artist's mouth.

Indeed, Bullets, Creed's most hard song, was on the disc and promoted as a single. So I guess that was all about $$ too?

Lechium
07-31-2003, 02:21 AM
As soon as hip-hop becomes less underground and more above ground, are you going to ditch it JUST because of that?
Nah I still listen to Jurassic 5, and such.

By the way, Creed rose to fame as an underground band... you and I both know Creed is an exception to the rule -- a band with a huge grassroots fanbase. Now we can argue how that fanbase has changed over the last few years, but that fact remains. I hope Creed decides to go back to its roots.

Do you mind telling me a rock band that did not come from underground? Hell even Limp Bizkit has started as an undergroudn band. And most bands had been signed to major labels because they had following -- following is what showed labels that bands have potential. creed is not an exeption from the general rule.
They are a band with big following whom dcritics and many other people cant stand. You know that also decribes Limp Bizkit. Really.

Dogstar
07-31-2003, 02:23 AM
<b>.... but we're talking about the "mainstream" rock industry. There's nothing inherrently wrong with it ... </b>

You don't seriously believe that, do you? I can't listen to the radio anymore because everything sounds the same regarding mainstream rock. There is absolutely no room for diversity on rock radio. You go from one state to another and you hear the same playlists because they are all pre-programmed by the few owners controlling the purse strings. The system is seriously flawed.

Lechium
07-31-2003, 02:25 AM
agreed.
only good radio left are small college stations, and internet radio: http://www.shoutcast.com/ <-- gogogo

Dogstar
07-31-2003, 02:27 AM
[B]Or perhaps that's just what they wanted to write? I mean come on... Like I said, just because something sounds a bit "poppy" doesn't instantly mean some bigwig exec force-fed it down an artist's mouth. &nbsp;

Come on. Do you really think the label had no influence whatsoever on their writing? Please. Not to mention that they rushed the crap out of it, probably to fill some contractual obligation.

Indeed, Bullets, Creed's most hard song, was on the disc and promoted as a single. So I guess that was all about $$ too?

Yeah, and when it went nowhere, all the softer songs were pushed: DSD, MS, OLB...Did you see them try to push Freedom Fighter? No.

velocityidp
07-31-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Dogstar
You don't seriously believe that, do you? I can't listen to the radio anymore because everything sounds the same regarding mainstream rock. There is absolutely no room for diversity on rock radio. You go from one state to another and you hear the same playlists because they are all pre-programmed by the few owners controlling the purse strings. The system is seriously flawed.

I know where you're coming from, but eh... there's flaws in everything. I just don't want to be so quick to judge everything and anything.

I work in the semiconductor industry, and oh boy there are big problems everywhere you look. But think what it would be like if the industry didn't exist? Products wouldn't get to market, new technologies would not be exploited for the benefeit (and detriment) of mankind.

Think of a world without a rock industry. Sure, it sounds good, but you'd only rarely hear from bands outside your own state. I agree it's a beast and it is constantly being fed -- we just need to find ways to tame the beast, not kill it.

Dogstar
07-31-2003, 02:34 AM
I'm not saying we need to kill the rock industry, but as long as people accept being spoonfed by some media moguls who think they know what people want, then the industry is in trouble. The media have a lot of power over many people who are either too stupid to realize they can speak volumes with their pocketbooks or just too lazy to bother taking the steps necessary to send a signal to the industry that they aren't happy.

Lechium
07-31-2003, 02:35 AM
Think of a world without a rock industry. Sure, it sounds good, but you'd only rarely hear from bands outside your own state. I agree it's a beast and it is constantly being fed -- we just need to find ways to tame the beast, not kill it.

There are some bands taht are signed to indie labels and yet are pretty popular. Not popular to teh point everyone knows them, but you can alwasy find people who are into them too, and finding their CD's in most record stores isnt problem.
Think about Fugazi (AFI used to be like that till they singed to major label) as an example.

velocityidp
07-31-2003, 02:30 PM
There are some bands taht are signed to indie labels and yet are pretty popular. Not popular to teh point everyone knows them, but you can alwasy find people who are into them too, and finding their CD's in most record stores isnt problem.
Think about Fugazi (AFI used to be like that till they singed to major label) as an example.

OK, but pretty much any band that starts with a small label and becomes popular will go to a larger label. That's just the way it goes -- not just in the music industry. Creed started on their own label (created by themselves) and when their music was becoming popular entirely under its own volution, they joined a "real" label (albeit small).

I guess you made my point when you said "Not popular to teh point everyone knows them, but you can alwasy find people who are into them too, and finding their CD's in most record stores isnt problem." That's the whole difference.

Lechium
07-31-2003, 06:58 PM
<b>OK, but pretty much any band that starts with a small label and becomes popular will go to a larger label. That's just the way it goes -- not just in the music industry. Creed started on their own label (created by themselves) and when their music was becoming popular entirely under its own volution, they joined a "real" label (albeit small).

I guess you made my point when you said "Not popular to teh point everyone knows them, but you can alwasy find people who are into them too, and finding their CD's in most record stores isnt problem." That's the whole difference. </b>

A lot of bands stay on indie labels even after they hit it big. NOFX for example.
Bands that switch to major labels are easier to notice, but there is vast semi underground scene which is dominated by bands who can sign to major label in a blink of an eye, but choose to stay indie in order to have creative freedom.
It really seems like your knowlinge of modern music is limited to mainstream...

velocityidp
07-31-2003, 09:29 PM
It really seems like your knowlinge of modern music is limited to mainstream...

It is, honestly.

Certainly there are some that refuse to go "mainstream" because they will lose some creative control. But really, if you are an artist, one of your goals (mainstream or not) is to have as many people as possible see/hear your work. Those that want total control don't have as large an audience -- there's a give and take.

All I've been trying to say is: yeah the industry isn't perfect, but it's stupid to try and kill it; just try to reform it.

Lechium
07-31-2003, 10:04 PM
<b>It is, honestly.

Certainly there are some that refuse to go "mainstream" because they will lose some creative control. But really, if you are an artist, one of your goals (mainstream or not) is to have as many people as possible see/hear your work. Those that want total control don't have as large an audience -- there's a give and take.

All I've been trying to say is: yeah the industry isn't perfect, but it's stupid to try and kill it; just try to reform it. </b>

Yeah you want people to hear YOUR song.

It is a common story when artist gest singed to major label, records and album, label says it's not radio friendly enough, so they make artist re-record it with a production crew that label appoints. The result is little bit of artist and a lot of label.

Some artists have creative control at major labels, but these are ones with a very specific and very own target audience, i.e. Sigur Ros, Mr. Bungle.

Unforgiven Fan
08-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by N30°14'?.7 W84°
wtf is sculpture rock?

sculputure rock can be described has having the one guitar as a main focus that builds the structure, shape, and tone of the song, not the bass, drums, and nessarly the vocals, I think.

jango
08-01-2003, 10:49 PM
Pop rock

Bridge of Clay
08-01-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Unforgiven Fan
sculputure rock can be described has having the one guitar as a main focus that builds the structure, shape, and tone of the song, not the bass, drums, and nessarly the vocals, I think.

oooooohhhhhhhh!!! thatīs good! I agree!!!!

I had never heard that definition before! :P

Wylde-Tremonti
08-01-2003, 11:14 PM
ok...i just started reading this thread...so i only got to the 3rd page...so im sorry if this is repettative...
here's what i think.... the Dab into all sorta of rock catagories...
Metal, Grunge, Hard Rock....with pop appeal.... i put them in Metal/hard rock...cuz that's the kind of band they are to me... if you listen to Slayer, Tallica, Panterra...u might call them POP rock.... its really an opinion...like alot of things....i think they should really be put into a genre that Sully from Godsmack came up w/..... "Energy rock"....i believe is what he called it... just something that goes BALLS OUT live....that's what Creed Does....they go out almost EVERY nite and put on a kickass show.... if one of them is having an off-nite...the others will up-the-anty... that's it.... they are...
ROCK. Period.
You dont need to go any further....

DangerousDan85
08-02-2003, 12:23 AM
CHRISTIAN ROCK

velocityidp
08-02-2003, 01:52 AM
lol