Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
The Press Enterprise review [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : The Press Enterprise review

marlsy
10-23-2002, 11:31 AM
The guy who wrote the LA times reveiw is a fricken idiot, I was at the LA concert and they were great. My husband is a guitarist and he said Mark sounded really good. Here is a better review, I have to type this myself so bare with me:

CREED TAKES NUMETAL HIGHER

ENERGETIC: It may lack peer respect, but the band's show delighted its devoted followers.
By George Paul

Los Angeles- Pick up the latest issue of Rolling Stone and you'll see a photo of the Offspring's Dexter Holland wearing a whimsical shirt that says Even Jesus Hates Creed. Although Creed is the biggest rock band in America right now, it still gets little respect among industry peers and critics.

MUSIC REVIEW

Singer Scott Stapp's spiritual lyrics and super serious manner have make him a constant target of ridicule. Yet none of that mattered to the devoted crowd at a three-Quarters full Staples Center on Sunday night. Just the fact that the Florida trio finally showed up following a series of delays (Stapp was in a car accident last spring and suffered from acute laryngitis a few weeks ago) was cause enough for celebration.
Clad in brown leather pants and long sleeved white dress shirt, Stapp's vocals were robust as ever during the 16 song set, which leaned heavily on 2001's Weathered.
Large gothic pillars, ramps and wrought iron gates were part of the stage design. Photographers were banned from the venue for this show.
The 90 minute concert was launched with a bang Literally as Creed used the first of several pyrotechnic blasts and a half dozen fire torches to signal the blistering "Bullets". Then to the crowds delight, Stapp quickly walked out on a short platform that jutted out from the middle of the general admission floor section. An equally heavy hitting "Freedom Fighter" continued the onslaught.
Guitarist Mark Tremonti (whose Metallica meets Alice in Chains style isnt especially innovative) Played rock god to the hilt. With legs spread in typical hard rock/metal band fashion, he continuously bobbed his head to the needling riffs. Tremonti and Stapp's chemistry was obvious each time the singer put an arm around his band mate or intensely watched him work.
During interviews, Stapp has referenced U2 as a major influence, saying he listened to nothing but " The Joshua Tree" for a year. As a result, Bono worship was in full effect when Stapp spread out his arms, then talked about "becoming one with the crowd." Yet it didnt ring hollow either. This guy appeared to genuinely care about the fans and appreciate their patience, which is more that can be said of today's numetal brethren.
Sometimes fans just wanted to bang their heads. Stapp's lenghthy heartfelt intros to "Hide" and "Stand Here With Me" elicited yells to "just play the darn song" from people in my section. An epic "Who's Got My Back," with recorded Native American chants and projected images of indigenous people and ominous keyboard sounds, was one early highlight.
Another came in the form of Creed's initial big hit "My Own Prison." The slowly brooding number found Stapp's deep baritone and Tremonti's counterpoint vocal juxtaposed with grainy correctional facility footage to fine effect.
More than anything, Creed excels at soaring power ballads. At Staples Center, that strength was exemplified by current top 10 single "One Last Breath" and the band's signature song, "With Arms Wide Open."
It was easy to get wrapped up in the unifying theme of "One" when Stapp worked the entire stage with a big grin on his face and fans dutifully sang along, arms waving. Come encore time, the acoustic guitar based, slow burn ballad "Don't Stop Dancing" proved rapturous, while the buoyant "Higher" and "My Sacrifice" ended the show on a winning note. Groundbreaking? No. Passionate? Absolutely.

TeriB19
10-23-2002, 11:43 AM
Thank you Marlsy for that much better review. It was much more pleasant to read than the first one posted. :)

Dogstar
10-23-2002, 01:01 PM
Yes, this one was much more honest and didn' t go in with a bias. I think the knucklehead who wrote the LA Times review paid little attention to the actual performance and simply regurgitated previous reviews of Creed, which attack the person more than the music. A sign of a very lazy reporter, IMHO.