Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Audioslave review: Philly 3/7/03 [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Audioslave review: Philly 3/7/03

Dogstar
03-08-2003, 01:23 AM
This is going to be kind of long, but I just had to share :D.

I just got back from the sold-out show at the Electric Factory and I am STILL PUMPED UP!!!!!!

Audioslave put on an amazing 1-1/2 hour show (14 songs, I think) that totally freakin' rocked the HOUSE! Chris Cornell sounded great, hit every note, screamed his head off and jumped around the stage with tons of energy. Tom Morello....man, what can I say about THIS guy? Fricken awesome on the axe. The guy can flat-out play and he did a a fair amount of bouncing around the stage, too. Great performer. He had the place going nuts on his many solos. The crowd was really into it. There was a ton of applause during the songs, before the songs and after the songs. These guys are definitely worth the price of admission.

We were standing outside in line before the show and could hear the sound checks. I knew from the sound of Chris' voice that it was going to be an amazing show. We had seats on the second level, but man, we stood just about the whole time just rocking out.

They got everybody going with a blazing rendition of Set It Off that the entire place sung to. Their use of lighting throughout the show was excellent! The floor was a sea of moshing, surfing and slam-dancing maniacs from the get-go. They were packed in there like sardines but somehow managed to slam-dance. This was one time I was happy to be away from the pit ...

I don't remember the order of the songs, but here is what they played:

Set It Off (opener)
Light My Way (excellent vocals and lighting, kick-ass solo by Morello)
Gasoline
Like A Stone (beautifully melodic...everybody sang the chorus)
Show Me How to Live (Just unreal...Cornell was awesome on this one)
What You Are (The place was in a frenzy over this song, as was I; it's my favorite )
Hypnotize
Exploder (The entire place was singing the da n da da da part at the end. He put the mic out to the crowd and listened to us all sing. Very cool.)
Shadow on the Sun (My other favorite...Rousing rendition)
Last Remaining Light

There was a song I didn't recognize plus what my friend swears was a cover of Working Man by Rush...It rocked big time.

I can't remember if the Rush cover was the one they dedicated to their opening act, Burning Brides. I thought it was a nice touch.

The encore was sweet: It began with Cornell and his guitar for an acoustic version of I Am the Highway, which the crowd went nuts over. About half way through the song, the rest of the band came in to play their parts. It was beautiful, by the way. I LOVE when a band goes acoustic once in a while.

Then there was Cochise and they just about blew the roof off the place. Again, he put the mic out in the crowd during the chorus. The whole place was jumping wild at that point. Just a rip-roaring great song to end with and the lighting in this was spectacular. They really know how to use it well.

Cornell did a little bit of chatting throughout the show, thanking the crowd for a proper Philadelphia welcome and commenting that it had been a long time since he'd been in Philly. At one point he took a good swipe at the record industry, noting that the packed house at the EF was proof positive that good music will draw good crowds and that you don't have to have mega arena shows to do well or write music to conform to some cookie-cutter formula. It was sweet music to my ears .

He also jumped into the first row of people after one of the songs and just high-fived a bunch of fans. He was clearly having a good time, as were the rest of the band. Morello and Commerford also played to crowd big-time and people ate it up. They just looked like they were having a great time.

Ok, the clothes report for the ladies (guys you don't have to read any further )

I couldn't tell what Brad was wearing as he was behind the kit, but Chris and Tim wore what I call clam-digger pants (don't know what you young-ins call them)...Chris's were Army green and Tim's were beige. They both wore white tank tops and might I just say that both were fine specimens. Chris has gorgeous biceps..He looked reeeeally hot. He also wore these funky black boots that came to about mid-calf. I couldn't see what footwear Tim or Tom had on.

Tom had on white pants and a dark blue or black short-sleeve button-down dress shirt...and a cap. He looked sharp.

Burning Brides, a three-piece band, were OK. Nothing too great, but they definitely worked hard. They said Philly was their *f***ing home town* and that they were happy to be playing for the locals. Their guitar player was energetic and all, but I really wasn't too impressed with him. They sort of had a punk sound to them, mixing in some straightforward rock and a couple of slow songs. Some of their bass lines and guitar riffs brought to mind Nirvana. They had a female bass player, whose instrument looked taller than she was. She did a decent job. I thought the best member of the group was the drummer. He really kicked some ass and they took so few breaks in between songs that I was surprised his arms didn't fall off!

I'm soooo looking forward to Lollapalooza!

hayley
03-08-2003, 02:26 AM
That's AWESOME

Dogstar
03-08-2003, 02:30 AM
:D....It was such a GREAT SHOW :):):):)!! Could ya tell I had a great time ;)?

Lechium
03-08-2003, 04:24 AM
Who opened for them?

Steve
03-08-2003, 12:55 PM
I think it was mentioned Burning Bride? I know I've never heard of them.

Man, now I wish I woulda bought tix to one of the two shows they played in Chicago!

Dogstar
03-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Lechium:

Burning Brides, a three-piece band, were OK. Nothing too great, but they definitely worked hard. They said Philly was their *f***ing home town* and that they were happy to be playing for the locals. Their guitar player was energetic and all, but I really wasn't too impressed with him. They sort of had a punk sound to them, mixing in some straightforward rock and a couple of slow songs. Some of their bass lines and guitar riffs brought to mind Nirvana. They had a female bass player, whose instrument looked taller than she was. She did a decent job. I thought the best member of the group was the drummer. He really kicked some ass and they took so few breaks in between songs that I was surprised his arms didn't fall off!

m3lissa
03-08-2003, 10:30 PM
i can't wait for Lollapalooza either!

QOSTA!! INCUBUS!! JANE's ADDICTION!

the dates for TO aren't here yet!

but the dates for summer sanitarium concert are up! :rockon:

Dogstar
03-08-2003, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I haven't seen dates yet, either. I was on the Web site yesterday. They just have the cities.

luvscott4ever
03-09-2003, 12:35 AM
I have my name in at the Lollapalooza web-site, waiting for them to give out dates...they aren't coming to any city by me, so I have to go to them!! Looks like it will be Milwaukee for me, I'd love to go back to Cincinnati, if it's at River Bend, but I think I'll stick with Milwaukee, it's closer..I wanted to see Audioslave when they were here on Feb 23rd, but that was the day I left for my cruise, sooo, now I'll see them at Lollapalooza....I've got 4 more concerts lined up for this spring/summer (XFest, Ozzfest, Metallica and Lollapalooza)..I can't wait..haven't been to one since New Years Eve, I'm going thru withdrawl!! :P

Steve
03-09-2003, 02:24 AM
Note: I've heard rumors about the Milwaukee date... it may happen at Summerfest at the Marcus Ampitheater.... that would be very cool!!

luvscott4ever
03-09-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Steve
Note: I've heard rumors about the Milwaukee date... it may happen at Summerfest at the Marcus Ampitheater.... that would be very cool!!

Thanx for the info Steve, do you have any idea what those dates would be?? Just as long as it's on a weekend, I'll be alright, it's probably about a 5 to 6 hour drive from the cities to Milwaukee for me and as long as they don't interfere with XFest, Ozzfest or Metallica, that would be GREAT!! I can't wait to see Incubus again and to see Audioslave!!!! :dancing:

Steve
03-09-2003, 02:17 PM
Summerfest is June 26th to July 6th.

There are already shows secheduled at the Ampitheater on June 27th and July 5th, so the other dates are open (although it's rumored Tom Petty is playing June 26th and Fleetwood Mac is playing June 29th).

You can get more info about Summerfest here: http://www.summerfest.com

luvscott4ever
03-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Thanks again Steve, you are most AWESOME!! And if those are the dates and they play then, they won't interfere with any of my other concerts!! You're the best Steve!!!

Steve
03-09-2003, 04:43 PM
:)

Again, this is only speculation though at this time. Although there's no other venues in the area that would probably hold this concert - it's an outdoor event usually isn't it? The only outdoor venues in Milwaukee is The Marcus Ampitheater & The North Stage @ Summerfest, and possibly Miller Park (baseball stadium), but I doubt Lollapalooza would play Miller Park.

It could also be held @ Alpine Valley in East Troy, WI.

JenRN
03-09-2003, 05:21 PM
Dogstar that is GREAT!!!!!:D :D i am so glad you had a good time! I Love their Cd and was amazingly impressed with it! I was always a fan of Soundgarden but I can honestly say I LOVE Audioslave! I wish I could have gone with you! I love all the songs "I am the Highway" is one of my favorites!!! And I love Set it off!!!!!:jam: :jam: Gosh I wish I could of gone too, let me know if they come around here or up there again I will gladly go with you!:D :D :D

Dogstar
03-09-2003, 05:25 PM
You know it, Jen! That show rocked my socks off. Most of their shows are sold out. I think they have a Web site that would probably have the tour schedule on it. I'll check it out and see what's up. I would LOVE to go with ya!

JulieCitySlicker
03-09-2003, 05:27 PM
I've never heard a this band:confused: Are they any good:P

Dogstar
03-09-2003, 05:30 PM
Hell, yeah, Julie. The band is a combination of Chris Cornell from Soundgarden and the remaining members of Rage Against the Machine. They put out their first CD in November...

Jen: Their last East Coast show is tonight in Atlanta and then they are off to the Midwest and West...However, they will be on the Lollapalooza tour and I know that's coming to Philly. That might be coming your way, too. They don't have dates for it yet, just cities.

Bridge of Clay
03-09-2003, 09:42 PM
audioslave is pretty good... theyīre heavier stuff, a kind I donīt like that much, but I really like cochise!

its video is awesome...

do they have all that pyro in the concert too? :D thatīd be great!

Dogstar
03-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by N30°14'?.7 W84°
audioslave is pretty good... theyīre heavier stuff, a kind I donīt like that much, but I really like cochise!

its video is awesome...

do they have all that pyro in the concert too? :D thatīd be great!

No, no pyro, and I doubt many bands playing in small venues like the one I went to will do that after the Great White tragedy. They made excellent use of lighting, though. I love their heavier stuff, btw! :D

Bridge of Clay
03-10-2003, 02:21 PM
yep, today I read an article about them...

They said they consider their band a new band and not the result of 2 big bands getting together, thatīs why they chose to begin their tour in small venues...

I thought they were already playing in big arenas! :embarass:

but thatīs a good strategy, I must say.

The article also said they declined Ozzfest, according to Cornell words: "we lost the respect for Ozzy and his wife after the circus around their family with The Osbournes" but theyīre gonna play at Lolapallooza

luvscott4ever
03-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Steve

it's an outdoor event usually isn't it? The only outdoor venues in Milwaukee is The Marcus Ampitheater & The North Stage @ Summerfest, and possibly Miller Park (baseball stadium), but I doubt Lollapalooza would play Miller Park.

It could also be held @ Alpine Valley in East Troy, WI.

Yeah, it is outdoors...I went to the web-site you posted and they said that Marcus Ampitheater holds like 24,000, it could be there, I also wouldn't mind if it was at Alpine Valley, My daughter and I went to Alpine last August for the Creed show, it's a pretty nice venue!!

JenRN
03-10-2003, 02:38 PM
I love Audioslave's heavy stuff!:jam: And I love their mellow stuff too, Like, I am the highway!:wub:

Sheila63
03-10-2003, 04:51 PM
So happy to hear you had such an awesome time, Dogstar!! There's nothing like a great concert to make you feel on top of the world.:jam: I'm not that familia with Audioslave's music but it sounds like from what everyone's saying, I'll have to check it out.

Dogstar
03-11-2003, 01:56 AM
Thanks, creedfan63! It really rocked. I can't get their songs out of my head the last couple of days, LOL...
They are well worth checking out. Good, good stuff!

luvscott4ever
03-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Dogstar

They are well worth checking out. Good, good stuff!

DITTO!! They are surely becoming one of my favorite bands!!! :)

Dogstar
03-11-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by N30°14'?.7 W84°
yep, today I read an article about them...

They said they consider their band a new band and not the result of 2 big bands getting together, thatīs why they chose to begin their tour in small venues...

I thought they were already playing in big arenas! :embarass:  

but thatīs a good strategy, I must say.

Yeah, people in the crowd were wanting them to play Soundgarden and Rage stuff, but they stuck to all of their new music and one cover, Working Man, by Rush. It was a bad-ass show! I don't think they will have trouble selling out big arenas, if they do decide to play them. The show I went to sold out in minutes. I'm glad I got to see them in a smaller venue, though. I much prefer smaller clubs to arena shows, unless you're on the rail or in the first row :D.

luvscott4ever
03-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Yeah, when they played here, they played at a venue that holds about 1000 people...the show sold out it 4 MINUTES!! Unbelievable!! The radio station said they sold out faster than the Foo Fighters did for that same venue!!

Dogstar
03-12-2003, 02:38 PM
And I loved what Chris Cornell said about small venues...that if you make decent music, people will come see it in a smaller place. It was a nice swipe at all those friggin greedy corporate record execs. Four minutes, that's amazing. It was a similar thing in Philly. Three thousand seats in a matter of minutes. I ended up getting my tix on eBay! Well worth what I paid, though. I probably would paid twice what I did, having seen them now.

Bridge of Clay
03-12-2003, 11:13 PM
cool!

Iīm not sure if Iīd buy their CD, coz I know Iīd probably donpt listen to it as much as I listen to the others (I may be wrong for now, my opinion might change in the future) but I definately wanna see them live!

luvscott4ever
03-19-2003, 11:05 PM
I'm sooo excited, just found out today that Lollapalooza is coming to Minneapolis too!! Now I don't have to go all the way to Milwaukee to see it!! I would love to go to it in Milwaukee cuz it's outdoors, but hey, 5 to 6 hours vs. 15 minutes...guess I have a decision to make!!

Dogstar
03-19-2003, 11:23 PM
Yes, they posted the dates as well. I'm trying to get July 27th off as I think that's the Philly show! I can't wait, either...I'm listening to Audioslave right now!!!

Yeah, 15 minutes is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

luvscott4ever
03-20-2003, 12:15 AM
You've got that right!! But Target Center sucks compared to being outside..but then I won't have to take time off if it's here!!
I don't care, I will see them somewhere, that's for sure...They are quickly becoming one of my favorite bands!!

Dogstar
03-20-2003, 02:14 AM
That's so cool, Luvscott...Update, I put in for the day off and the show here is at an outdoor venue :). Did they have any ticket info on the web site? I looked, but I didn't find any. I mean, they are already selling tickets for Ozzfest in August!