Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
High expectations [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : High expectations

Xterminator27
02-20-2003, 07:51 PM
It must be hard for the band to make a new CD now, If ya think about it everyone has such high expectations for them now, It must be impossible to throw out 11 Brand new ass kicken songs. I mean their human like all of us. Now im expection so much from them cuz their last CDs wererso amazing... well just havta see......

hotforscott
02-20-2003, 07:54 PM
I know what you mean, sometimes I wonder what it's gonna be like and I cannot wait until it's finally here.

Dogstar
02-20-2003, 08:05 PM
I just hope they don't fall into the trap of trying to please too many people, including the fans. So many bands get caught up in the business bs of demographics, focus groups, polls, what the label wants, want the corporate mongers want. I know there has to be a balance, but the success of MOP was due in large part to it being real, honest music, and Creed pretty much pushed it themselves in the beginning. They hit a nerve with people and I just hope they don't have to give up too much artistic integrity to get their music out.

Though I like Weathered, I think it has a more *packaged* feel to it, plus there was such a push to put so many singles out there. Maybe that is Wind-Up's influence as well. Hate to say it, but payola is alive and well. With MOP, people just went nuts over the songs more than the radio stations' being willing to play them. It was a real grass-roots thing.

hotforscott
02-20-2003, 08:12 PM
I know what you mean, Dogstar. I hope we get a kick ass album!

HigherGirl
02-20-2003, 08:25 PM
I don't think we all need to worry...Creed has put out excellent CD's in the past...I'm sure the next one will rock!!!:jam:

Lechium
02-21-2003, 01:43 AM
That's why some bands start experimenting, so follow up is waaaaay different, and noone can compare it to old stuff. Radiohead's "Kid A" is best example really. #1 album with no singles, videos, promotion, and completly different musical style. If creed experiments for next record they are defently gonna grow in eyes of many.

hayley
02-21-2003, 02:51 AM
This album is gonna be the deepest one yet.

hide_tremonti
02-21-2003, 07:29 AM
Dunno if it's just me...but I was very disappointed with Weathered...

Sheila63
02-21-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Dogstar
I just hope they don't fall into the trap of trying to please too many people, including the fans. So many bands get caught up in the business bs of demographics, focus groups, polls, what the label wants, want the corporate mongers want. I know there has to be a balance, but the success of MOP was due in large part to it being real, honest music, and Creed pretty much pushed it themselves in the beginning. They hit a nerve with people and I just hope they don't have to give up too much artistic integrity to get their music out.

Though I like Weathered, I think it has a more *packaged* feel to it, plus there was such a push to put so many singles out there. Maybe that is Wind-Up's influence as well. Hate to say it, but payola is alive and well. With MOP, people just went nuts over the songs more than the radio stations' being willing to play them. It was a real grass-roots thing.

I'm with you, Dogstar. I just want the music to be honest and from their hearts. If they do that, it should be a fantastic cd!!:dancing:

Lechium
02-21-2003, 01:17 PM
2hide_tremonti: its not just you. Most people are. That's why it sold 1/2 as much once people liek bringing sales up heh

Bridge of Clay
02-21-2003, 01:43 PM
x, theyīre human but theyīre Creed!!! :crest: :jam: !!!

Weathered is an amzing album. I do agree with the package matter, but it kicks ass.
Honestly, I canīt find another band who did a better job.

Lechium
02-21-2003, 02:40 PM
In 2002... Sigur Ros, The Flaming Lips, Beck, dredg. None of them had sold a tenth of what creed did, but anyways.

DangerousDan85
02-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Dan could fly beneth the wings of the blue bird as she sings

creeder
02-21-2003, 03:32 PM
We are waiting for the cd.... but i can trust creed.. they do awsome work all the time!

creedgirl99
02-21-2003, 03:51 PM
I know I can't wait for the new cd and tour dates!

velocityidp
02-21-2003, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I'll have to say I agree with the sentiment that Weathered was a slight dissapointment.

I'll have to say that, musically, it was incredibly well done and had quite a range of styles. However, I really felt the lyrical content was lacking and at times cheesy. MOP and Human Clay were never like that...

Weathered had a lot of great ideas (e.g. WGMBN), and everything sounded very well in the sound engineering and music department. But the rest just sounded a bit rushed! (they wrote the entire album in 2 months...) It frustrates me when I think of how great that albumm could have been if 1-2 years of work had gone into it.

Weathered just doesn't have the same character and moodiness of the other two excellent albums.

I hope they spend much more time on the next one.

hotforscott
02-21-2003, 05:10 PM
I really like Weathered. Human Clay is my all time favorite, but Weathered Rocks. I understand what you are saying though, it makes sense. I had no idea they had only written it in 2 months, I thought maybe it was finished in 2 months, I never would have thought from beginning to end it was done in 2 months, kinda strange.

DangerousDan85
02-21-2003, 05:32 PM
Dan likes vegetables

creedgirl99
02-21-2003, 05:41 PM
Well that was really off subject! :P

Bridge of Clay
02-21-2003, 05:43 PM
Actually they wrote it in 2 weeks!

cīmon... wgmb, my sacrifice, weathered, bullets, one last breath... they are all perfec lyrically... shwm and hide are pretty good too, dsd inspires lots of people, ff as well...

Itīs not darker as the others, since it reflects its title, their feelings: weathered.

I love weathered! I can listen to it from 1 to 11 without skip any songs any time. This doesnīt happen when Iīm listening to HC or MOP. I always skip wrong way, say I and sometimes Beautiful... although Never Die, Faceless Man and HIgher are in my top 10 list.

hotforscott
02-21-2003, 06:18 PM
I know what you mean, Marcos, I can listen to all of my Creed CD's without skipping a song. They rock and Weathered has a TON of kick ass songs.

Dogstar
02-21-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Lechium
<b>That's why some bands start experimenting, so follow up is waaaaay different, and noone can compare it to old stuff. Radiohead's "Kid A" is best example really. #1 album with no singles, videos, promotion, and completly different musical style. If creed experiments for next record they are defently gonna grow in eyes of many. </b>

Exactly, that's what I'm hoping for. Another good example was Alice In Chains. They had the hard stuff with Facelift and Dirt, and then followed those with two softer-sounding melodic EPs in SAP and Jar Of Flies.

Sheila63
02-21-2003, 08:58 PM
Me too. I love Weathered from Bullets to Lullaby. You're right, Marcos, to me it just has a different feel than the other two. I really love all 3 cds and I alternate listening to them all depending on how I feel at the time.:crest: :crest:

Bridge of Clay
02-21-2003, 09:22 PM
yeah!

itīs not I donīt like the songs I skip, I like them too! But those are songs to reflect and think!

While weathered is when youīre feeling... weathered! Happy, you just wanna enjoy everything and jam and scream!!! :)

souldancer
02-21-2003, 11:32 PM
I just hope they don't fall into the trap of trying to please too many people, including the fans. So many bands get caught up in the business bs of demographics, focus groups, polls, what the label wants, want the corporate mongers want....I just hope they don't have to give up too much artistic integrity to get their music out. Oh yes, I hope that after their weathered year and rough months they have had time to rest and reflect - and go a little deeper into their music and selves. Will be hoping they are standing strong in who they are (as challenging as it may be) and will be shouting for their integrity and original raw, original Creed all the way - let's let them know how we feel!!!!!!

hide_tremonti
02-22-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by velocityidp
Yeah, I'll have to say I agree with the sentiment that Weathered was a slight dissapointment.

I'll have to say that, musically, it was incredibly well done and had quite a range of styles. However, I really felt the lyrical content was lacking and at times cheesy. MOP and Human Clay were never like that...

Weathered had a lot of great ideas (e.g. WGMBN), and everything sounded very well in the sound engineering and music department. But the rest just sounded a bit rushed! (they wrote the entire album in 2 months...) It frustrates me when I think of how great that albumm could have been if 1-2 years of work had gone into it.

Weathered just doesn't have the same character and moodiness of the other two excellent albums.

I hope they spend much more time on the next one.

Ditto.
The lyrics sounded really rushed and very cheesy in some songs...(eg My Sacrifice) and sometimes cliche.
In the music department....Mark just happened to use the same chorus endings in 3 different songs (Freedom Fighter, My Sacrifice, Weathered), with the G5, F5 and D5 chords....

And they wrote the album in 3 weeks. I have an audio interview where Stapp actually says that.

hotforscott
02-22-2003, 01:09 AM
I cannot wait for the new album. I am so excited just thinking about having new songs to listen to.

Lucy
02-22-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by hotforscott
I know what you mean, Marcos, I can listen to all of my Creed CD's without skipping a song. They rock and Weathered has a TON of kick ass songs.

That is definitely true...
I don't even know what "skipping a song" means when talking about Creed...
The 3 albums are different from each other..
This is what makes them great!

Xterminator27
02-22-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by N30°14'?.7 W84°
Actually they wrote it in 2 weeks!

No marocs... it was 2 months

hotforscott
02-22-2003, 12:19 PM
X, was it the entire album in 2 months, or just like finishing it in 2 months?

Xterminator27
02-22-2003, 12:54 PM
i think the entir e album, but im not 100% shure

hotforscott
02-22-2003, 02:54 PM
That is totally insane. They ROCK to put an entire album together in 2 months. I just thought that they wrote along the way and it just all added up in the end. Like, I would think with all that has gone on with them this past year that there are already a few lyrics up their sleeve and it will just all be completed by 2004 when the album comes out. I can't wait.

Human Prison82
02-22-2003, 05:08 PM
I wish they would start writing new material on tour. And give the FANS a listen at some new stuff. I am a huge Creed fan, but I wish they would focus on the music at the show instead of the production of the show. Take away all the pyro, even though it is bad as hell, and give me some new music, change up the set list, play old stuff.
As far as the next album goes, I hope it's dark, trancy, and erie (sp). I think it will be, this last year was rough for the guys: Mark's Mom passed, Scott S. personal problems, grueling touring schedule, Chicago, ... Maybe we'll get some anger management in the next record.

Xterminator27
02-22-2003, 05:12 PM
HELL NO, The pyro KICKS ASS,
Ya but ur right, they despreatly need to change their song list a bit, when i went to a consort the ypl;ayed every single they had and liek 5 other songs. I was hopen theyd play faclessman or Inside us all Or wash away Thsoe years Or DSD Or Are you ready, OR sister Or Ode. But they didnt play ANY of em.

and i dont want their nex one to be dark, i wanna it to be liek all teh others, Kickass songs, good viarity, and Awsome inspirational Lyrics that make sence

hotforscott
02-22-2003, 05:14 PM
The pyro rocks. The shows are totally awesome. I wouldn't change a thing!

Human Prison82
02-22-2003, 05:15 PM
That is exactly what I'm talking about. I like the pyro, but it's the reason the show is so manufactured. They can't change up the setlist and have pyro going off at the wrong time. I just saying if sacrificing the pyro would bring back diversity in the show, I would give it up, no question.

hotforscott
02-22-2003, 05:20 PM
I think it is so much fun the way it is that I wouldn't want to change the shows.

velocityidp
02-22-2003, 06:11 PM
cīmon... wgmb, my sacrifice, weathered, bullets, one last breath... they are all perfec lyrically... shwm and hide are pretty good too, dsd inspires lots of people, ff as well...

The lyrics in weathered are very repetitive compared to their other two albums. I found many of the songs to just lack the depth they deserved.

You never saw a lyrically-intense or poetic song like My Own Prison on the latest album... Or even the incredibly potent and vivid lyrics found in What If or the epic story-telling in Faceless man.

For me, Weathered was mostly about melody and crunching riffs. Both are great, but unless they are backed up with some variety and some profound and intricate lyrical content, they largely fall flat. What annoys me is that I know Weathered had INCREDIBLE potential! If they would have spent a year reworking and rewriting lyrics, and experimenting with new types of sounds... argh... it would have been awesome.

Now, I'm not saying Weathered is bad... it's just not what Creed is capable of, and it tiptoed along the edges of pop-rock just a little bit too much for my taste.

For the next album, I say spend a year or two at least and experiment like crazy. Return to making songs intricate and artistic instead of just sounding good.

Xterminator27
02-22-2003, 07:14 PM
Odd, i think weathered has one of the best lyrics of em all....
Whos got my back..
My sacrifice..
Hide..
One last breath..
Weathered.. all have amazing lryics.

I think weathred is perfect, and is one fo creeds best yet

velocityidp
02-22-2003, 07:25 PM
Whos got my back..
My sacrifice..
Hide..
One last breath..
Weathered.. all have amazing lryics.

Who's Got My Back:
- after the second chorus, they keep repeating it for about 4 minutes.... very repetitive

My Sacrifice:
- Again, the song starts off nicely, but after the 2nd chorus I want to turn it off. It just reapeats itself with no variations.

Hide:
- A well-balanced song. But again, it provides the bare minimum in lyrical content or originality.

One Last Breath:
- Another good song, but once again, it just lacks that "certain something" that makes a song great. Little touches go a long way, and 2 months isn't enough time.

Weathered:
- It's OK, but is also a tad repetitive. The lyrics are also mediocre and not the best I've heard from Scott. They fall flat and really lack any kind of artistic or real profound meaning that he had going in MOP and HC.

All in all, all the Weathered lyrics just seem rushed and detached compared to the other albums.

Human Prison82
02-22-2003, 10:46 PM
Like I said, they should write while touring. HC was written during the MOP tour. During the HC tour Stapp didn't want to write anything new, he wanted to just experience touring, Weathered was then written in 2 weeks or whatever.
I think the band would benefit from writing on the road and testing, reworking, exploring the new songs in front of an audience.

Xterminator27
02-22-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by velocityidp
<b>Who's Got My Back:
- after the second chorus, they keep repeating it for about 4 minutes.... very repetitive

My Sacrifice:
- Again, the song starts off nicely, but after the 2nd chorus I want to turn it off. It just reapeats itself with no variations.

Hide:
- A well-balanced song. But again, it provides the bare minimum in lyrical content or originality.

One Last Breath:
- Another good song, but once again, it just lacks that "certain something" that makes a song great. Little touches go a long way, and 2 months isn't enough time.

Weathered:
- It's OK, but is also a tad repetitive. The lyrics are also mediocre and not the best I've heard from Scott. They fall flat and really lack any kind of artistic or real profound meaning that he had going in MOP and HC. &nbsp;

All in all, all the Weathered lyrics just seem rushed and detached compared to the other albums. </b>

Dude, all teh sonngs in teh world repeat themselfs, its called teh chorus, every HC song dose that.

Neverdie..
Inside US all...
What If...
Are you ready...
Beutiful....
Higher....
WATY....

Human Prison82
02-22-2003, 11:26 PM
I don't think that is what they are getting at...

hotforscott
02-22-2003, 11:35 PM
There's no telling!

Bridge of Clay
02-23-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally said by Scott Stapp
Weathered is our best album ever

Dogstar
02-23-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Human Prison82
That is exactly what I'm talking about. &nbsp;I like the pyro, but it's the reason the show is so manufactured. &nbsp;They can't change up the setlist and have pyro going off at the wrong time. &nbsp;I just saying if sacrificing the pyro would bring back diversity in the show, I would give it up, no question.

Same here! I enjoyed the pyro, but I would trade it in a heartbeat for some longer solos from Mark, some improv with Mark and Brett, some Flip solos, or even a cover or two. When I saw Jerry Cantrell in Hartford, he and the lead singer of his touring band, who also played guitar, just broke into the blues guitar improv as part of the encore. It went on for like five minutes, and it totally freakin ROCKED! I was so stoked to get something unexpected like that. Pearl Jam also aren't afraid to do a cover or two, even after more than a decade of touring. I think a little unpredictability in the set list would be awesome. On NYE they played Ode, which I have always wanted to hear live. I had missed their earlier tours and I just about flipped my lid when they did that one. They also did some cool acoustic versions of songs, which was a real treat. Diversity is good!

hotforscott
02-23-2003, 06:44 AM
I love the acoustics, they are some of my faves.

Sheila63
02-23-2003, 12:00 PM
Me too. I love the acoustic songs and I think diversity is definitely a good thing as well. Although I've got to say I loved the pyro and fireworks at the NYE show. To me it added to the experience. I know, I guess I want it all and I realize that's not usually possible.

hotforscott
02-23-2003, 12:29 PM
I know what you mean. I planned one Far Away trip this last tour and I picked Chicago, after hearing the awesome time at the NYE show, I wish I had picked Philly! It sounded like it was a Dream Concert come true!

Rune
02-24-2003, 12:15 AM
The way i see it is that creed should write the same way they've always written.

They always write the songs for themselves and what they enjoy playing. If you write songs and try to make them so you think everyone will like them, you are doomed to failure. You have to write the songs for yourself, and then the fans will pick up on that and enjoy them just as much.

It doesn't matter if they put out 11 kick ass songs, if they write just the way they've always written, i'll be happy.

Dogstar
02-24-2003, 01:00 AM
Amen to that Rune. Honest music, music from their hearts. If it's real, it will be good. They've proven they can do that.

Bridge of Clay
02-24-2003, 02:39 PM
someone said wind-up doesnīt like them to play covers

mushroomy2k
02-24-2003, 04:02 PM
well i for one would like them to take there time
so they can come up with good songs and the
perfect music to go with the lyrics.
i just wonder how much pressure the record companies
put on the artists to come up with new stuff every year
i believe it was a korn interview on vh1 i saw where
he said they where pressured to come up with new stuff
every year and eventialy it causes burn out and you cant be as
creative to come up with excellent stuff.
my opinion let htem take there time so everything they
write is awsome.:) yall have a great evening.

Lechium
02-26-2003, 01:24 AM
Exactly, that's what I'm hoping for. Another good example was Alice In Chains. They had the hard stuff with Facelift and Dirt, and then followed those with two softer-sounding melodic &nbsp;EPs in SAP and Jar Of Flies.
Correction -- Sap came out BEFORE Dirt, not after =)

Dogstar
02-26-2003, 01:35 PM
Ooops, silly me, thanks, Lech....the point was, though, that they did something different, which I hope Creed does.

Charmin
02-26-2003, 05:23 PM
Personally, I feel like it will be hard for them to top Human Clay. Not just speaking sales figures either.

Weathered was good-and I realize they may have been trying to prove their diversity-and that's OK, too. It takes talent to be diverse and it takes guts to show diversity. But Human Clay totally rocks. And rock is what CREED does best.

I read an interview from somewhere (read so many can't remember where I read it), but Stapp made the comment that he and Mark really liked rockin' and their next CD would be more on the harder side-which will make me one happy rocker..........

creeder
02-26-2003, 05:42 PM
CREED KICK ASS, THEY ROCK, AND I SAY ROCK ON

s.floridagirl
02-26-2003, 09:44 PM
Charmin, I have to agree with you on that one. Even though I absolutely love Weathered, there is something about Human Clay that does it for me !! Whatever their new album brings, I will love it. I've become one of those typical fans that will love anything that they put out at this point. You know the type!

creeder
02-27-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by hotforscott
I love the acoustics, they are some of my faves.
I love them too, but the orginal song is best... Like the way Mark <Tremonti Plays with Heavy Distortion.. And stapp is better when i Gives 100% of his voice! But he sound very nice in Example Lullaby, My Own Prsion acoustic.....

Bridge of Clay
02-27-2003, 10:40 PM
so, if you could choose, would you like the next album to be more MOP or more HC ?

Charmin
02-28-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by N30°14'?.7 W84°
so, if you could choose, would you like the next album to be more MOP or more HC ?

Maybe a cross over of both- the freshness and originality of MOP-with the solidity and style of Human Clay.........

is that too much to ask for? :P

Dogstar
02-28-2003, 11:24 AM
If they keep it real, it will be good.