Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Please Help Me Name My Fish [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Name My Fish

Lady Valkyrie
10-08-2002, 09:00 AM
I recently got a fish... It's a male Beta Fish... the ones called the fighting fish. I put it in a decent size vase with some nice polished rocks and some pretty jewel stones, with a variety of plants spilling out of the vase. Now that I got his home all nice and cozy what shall I name him? Got any ideas?

allison
10-08-2002, 10:07 AM
I don't mean to sound like a grouch, but I feel so bad for those fish in vases. They hardly have anywhere to swim. :(

tremontiwannabe
10-08-2002, 02:27 PM
omg i am sooo with you on that one, allison!! my mom has one of those fighting fish or whatever they are and its in the tiniest vase on the planet. i feel so sory for it. lol!

but while we are on the subject i think you should name it mark tremonti !!:D

Lady Valkyrie
10-08-2002, 02:27 PM
LOL Oh don't worry allison... I feel the very same way... that's why this vase is nearly 2 feet tall and it's in an oval, bubble shape... lol It's only one fish in there... he has plenty of room.

tremontiwannabe
10-08-2002, 02:34 PM
well what do you think of the name? hehehe!:P

allison
10-08-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Lady Valkyrie
LOL Oh don't worry allison... I feel the very same way... that's why this vase is nearly 2 feet tall and it's in an oval, bubble shape... lol It's only one fish in there... he has plenty of room.

That makes me feel a little better. I just hate that trend, b/c most of the vases people have are so small.:(

Lady Valkyrie
10-08-2002, 02:40 PM
lol we both posted the very same minute , tremontiwannabe... I didn't see your post till just now. I have actually thought about naming it after one of our boys we so love. lol

And by the way... as I have already said I hate those fich being in tiny vases... however... That is nothing compared to what Walmart does to them. They keep the male betas in an 8 ounce clear plastic cup with a lid... and it only has about 2 inches of water in them. I asked someone if they ever take the fish out and put them into bigger containers or ever clean the water... they said no. I felt like buying everyone of those fishies just to free them! :( However, I don't want 30 vases in my home either.

allison
10-08-2002, 02:42 PM
A woman I worked had one and she got it around 9/11 so she named it 'Freedom'. I always wanted to be like, "Hey dumbass, don't you think the name is a little ironic?!?"

allison
10-08-2002, 02:45 PM
lol we both posted the very same minute , tremontiwannabe... I didn't see your post till just now. I have actually thought about naming it after one of our boys we so love. lol  

And by the way... as I have already said I hate those fich being in tiny vases... however... That is nothing compared to what Walmart does to them. They keep the male betas in an 8 ounce clear plastic cup with a lid... and it only has about 2 inches of water in them. I asked someone if they ever take the fish out and put them into bigger containers or ever clean the water... they said no. I felt like buying everyone of those fishies just to free them! :(  However, I don't want 30 vases in my home either.

Yes, ALL of the stores that sell beta fish keep them that way - they can't even move! Not to mention that they inject them with dye to enhance their color. So my point is, why support these stores that sell these poor fish by buying them?

Lady Valkyrie
10-08-2002, 02:48 PM
you make a lot of sense allison. But where would I buy a fish then if I want one?

allison
10-08-2002, 03:04 PM
Well, this may sound extreme, but I believe that it's best not to own fish. Here's why (copied from an animal welfare website):

Fragile tropical fish, born to dwell in the majestic seas and forage among brilliantly colored coral reefs, suffer miserably when forced to spend their lives enclosed in glass aquariums. Robbed of their natural habitat, denied the space to roam, they must swim and reswim the same empty cubic inches.

Breeders and Dealers: Pain Profiteers

The popularity of keeping tropical fish has created a virtually unregulated industry based on catching and breeding as many fish as possible, with little regard for the fish themselves.
In the Philippines, the source of most saltwater fish sold in the U.S., many fish divers collect their prey by squirting cyanide or other poisons into the coral reefs where fish live.(1) Meant to stun them so that they will drift out of the reef for easy collection, the cyanide kills as many as half of the fish on the spot. Many others die from cyanide residue after being purchased. The poison also kills the live coral where the fish live, which can take thousands of years to grow back.(2)
Most of the freshwater fish sold in the U.S. are easier to breed than their saltwater cousins and are bred on "fish farms." These breeding centers, seeking new market niches, create fish breeds that would never occur in nature. Treating fish as ornaments instead of as live animals, some fish breeders "paint" fish by injecting fluorescent dye into their bodies to make them more attractive to buyers.(3)

Fish Facts

Fish are wonderful creatures with individual personalities and attributes that most people know little about. They communicate with each other, form bonds, and grieve when their companions die.(4) Fish communicate with one another through a range of low-frequency sounds—from buzzes and clicks to yelps and sobs. The sounds, audible to humans only with special instruments, communicate emotional states such as courtship, alarm, or submission.(5) Sadly, the pumps and filters necessary in many home aquariums can interfere with this communication. "At the least, we're disrupting their communication; at the worst, we're driving them bonkers," says ichthyologist Phillip Lobel.(6)
Most fish enjoy companionship and develop special relationships with each other. One South African publication documented the relationship between Blackie, a goldfish with a deformity that made it nearly impossible for him to swim, and Big Red, the larger fish who shared his tank. Big Red daily put Blackie on his back to swim him around, and when they were fed, Big Red swam Blackie to the surface, where they ate together.(7)
Fish enjoy tactile stimulation in their relationships and often gently rub against each other. Divers tell of gaining the friendship of fish by lightly scratching their foreheads—they've found that the fish then recognize and regularly approach them.(8)

Please don't support the tropical fish trade by purchasing fish.

If You Already Have a Fish
If you already have fish, biologists say there is no safe way to return them to their natural environment because of the difficulty in locating such a habitat (often in a far-off country) and the possibility of introducing disease to the other fish there.
However, you can make their lives easier by duplicating their natural environment as closely as possible. While no confined fish can live a natural life, the following tips will help make them as happy as possible.
The more space that fish have, the happier and healthier they will be. Allow a minimum of 12 square inches of water surface per inch of fish.

Treat tap water properly before putting it in the aquarium. Even trace amounts of chlorine can cause breathing difficulties, nervous spasms, or even death.(9) The type of chemicals you should use depends on your area's water; consult with a local tropical fish supply store to determine the proper treatment.(10)

Before putting the fish into the aquarium, let the filter and pump run for two weeks to allow bacterial cycling and other environmental adjustments.(11)

Different types of fish require different pH levels. Check the pH level daily for the first month and weekly thereafter.(12)

A filter is necessary to remove waste particles and noxious chemicals from the water. An air pump will provide oxygen.

Fish need a constant temperature, usually 68 to 74 degrees. A 74-degree temperature is right for most fish, but you should check with a fish supply store for information specific to your fish.(13) An automatic aquarium heater will monitor the water temperature and turn the heater on or off as needed. Attaching a small thermometer to the tank will tell you if the heater is functioning properly.(14)

Clean the tank regularly, about two to three times a week. The natural waste of fish emits ammonia, which can accumulate to toxic levels.(15) Also be sure to clean the glass well with a pad or a brush so that algae don't grow there.

Never empty the tank all at once; fish are most comfortable with water they are used to, even if it is dirty. When cleaning the tank, change only 10 to 25 percent of the water at a time.(16)

Plants provide oxygen, shelter, and hiding places, and fish enjoy snacking on them as well. Provide live plants, not plastic ones.

Create places for your fish to hide and explore. Ceramic objects, natural rock, and plants all work well. Make sure that all objects are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before putting them in the tank. Do not use metal objects, as they will rust.

Be aware of the environment outside the aquarium. Suddenly switching on a bright light in a dark room can startle fish, and vibrations from a television or a stereo can alarm and stress them. One study found that fish repeatedly exposed to loud music can develop fatal liver injury.(17)

Keep all harmful chemicals away from the aquarium's vicinity. Cigarette smoke, paint fumes, and aerosol sprays can be toxic if they are absorbed into the aquarium water.(18)

Place the aquarium in a spot where temperature and light are constant and controllable. Tropical fish supply stores may be able to advise you on the best degree of light for your fish to live in. Remember that direct sunlight and drafts from nearby doors or windows may change the water temperature, and fumes from a nearby kitchen or workshop may injure your fish.(19)

Don't overfeed; uneaten food and waste material are broken down into ammonia and nitrites, which are toxic. One expert recommends sprinkling in only as much food as your fish can eat in 30 seconds.(20)

If your fish seems sick or lethargic, take him or her to a vet. Fish can be medicated, anesthetized, given shots, and operated on, just like other animals.(21) Bring along a separate sample of the tank water when you go.

Most fish enjoy companionship. If you have a single fish, check with friends and neighbors to find another loner whom you may be able to adopt (but don't support the fish trade by going to a dealer).

Lady Valkyrie
10-08-2002, 03:13 PM
I appreciate the tips on how to care for fish, thanks.

However the first part of your post sounds like a vegetarian wrote it. Obviously they don't want you to have animals as pets and probably don't want you to eat any meat.

And personally I am an avid hunter. I love deer hunting, squirrel hunting and turkey hunting. I also love to fish. I only kill animals for food. Even though I don't eat fish, the rest of my family eats what I catch. I am not into killing things for trophies.... for food yes... trophies no.

Bridge of Clay
10-08-2002, 03:32 PM
I won´t post opinion on this matter (keeping or not the fish)...
so if you wanna name it, I guess Mark Tremonti is too long for a fish... so I´d say FLIP !!!

And get another fish to make company to it! :)

allison
10-08-2002, 03:40 PM
If it was written by an animal welfare group, then, yes, they are probably vegetarians! Not true that they don't want to you to have animals as pets, just some animals (the ones that can't be kept humanely). You asked me where you could by fish, and since I can't advocate buying fish, I explained why. (And forgive me, it was alot easier and faster copying something that I have already read and agree with than writing something on my own.)

While I don't agree with hunting, and don't really know why you brought it up being that it is not related to our discussion, it's a hell of alot more humane than what happens to the pigs, cows, chickens and turkeys that are bought in the grocery store. So if you must eat meat, I'd much rather you hunt your own than buy meat from a store which comes from factory farms.

By the way, I am not interested in getting into an animal rights debate here. I do enough of that already and the CC BB is my escape from it all. Thanks.

GoodGodGirl23
10-08-2002, 03:50 PM
Lady V yer eats squirrles?? Ewww. are dey good?:( Whah do dey taste like?:( :eek: :eek:

GoodGodGirl23
10-08-2002, 03:52 PM
And allison yer could name yer fish..."Potty Trained!!":) :lol: :lol: :silly: :dork:

TeriB19
10-08-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by GoodGodGirl23
Lady V yer eats squirrles?? Ewww. are dey good?:( Whah do dey taste like?:( :eek: :eek: Tastes just like chicken!
(j/k, never really eaten squirrel)

Mulletman
10-08-2002, 10:50 PM
LOL

souldancer
10-08-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by allison
By the way, I am not interested in getting into an animal rights debate here.  I do enough of that already and the CC BB is my escape from it all.  Thanks.

GOOD FOR YOU! Raising awareness but keeping focused on what you need to do to keep your life balanced. Thanks my fellow vegeterian - animal welfare friend!:)

Hmmm a name, -
MOP; Testy (we all know about their hormones); Lucifer (fins like angels); Warrior; Creedom

Lady Valkyrie
10-08-2002, 11:15 PM
lol Squirrels do in fact taste like chicken... I kid you not. LOL They are great pan fried with some gravy made from the drippins.

The reason I brought up the hunting issue was because I had a feeling that you were an animal activist of sorts... just wanted to let you know where I stood was all. No hard feelings allison?

Also allison... I've been researching myself on how to care for Bettas... I found out it is spelled with two "t's". Here is what I found out so far...

<i>"Bettas can be safely kept in these small bowls and containers for many reasons. They have a relatively slow metabolism and are not very active. They are typically slow swimmers and do not mix well with many of the quick tropical fish which are kept in large aquariums. Since they are not active, the small environment is not detrimental to the Betta's health. In fact, it is much safer to keep them singularly in these small bowls and Tiny Tanks than in tropical community aquariums. Bettas are incredibly adaptable to water conditions, which is another great reason to keep them in small bowls.

Keeping a betta in a small fish bowl will require your constant attention to make sure the water is clean. Use the "sight, feel, and smell"" method with your fish bowls.

· Does the water look clean or is there a film on top?

· Can I see food particles or droppings in the bottom of the bowl?

· Does the bowl have a fishy smell to it?

· Does the inside of the bowl feel slimy?

If so, it is past time for a water change. The size of the bowl will depend on how many water changes per week you will need to make. We generally do a water change about every fourth to fifth day on all of our fish bowls. Doing water changes on a regular basis is the best way to keep your betta healthy and disease free."</i>

Now from what I have observed of my fish... and my fiance's(he has a betta as well... I have noticed that they are indeed not very active at all.

<i>"Many hobbyists believe that if they get a larger bowl, they can keep more than one betta in it. This is not true. Bettas are known as fighting fish for a good reason. Never put more than one male betta into any system. Two males will fight, ripping each other's fins, often causing death.

An outstanding peculiarity of the fish is its dependence on atmospheric air. in its native waters, as in a well-aerated aquarium, it cannot obtain dissolved oxygen in amounts sufficient for its needs through its gills alone. Bettas make frequent trips to the surface to take mouthfuls of air. This is stored in small amounts in accessory respiratory chambers, which are located above the gills in the form of a cavity in each size of the head. Like lungs, the cavities are supplied with a rich blood supply and their air absorbing surfaces are increased greatly many folds. In the wild state the fish does not loiter when taking air at the water surface where it may be attacked by birds and other fish-eating animals. It projects its mouth for only an instant, expels a bubble of vitiated air and takes in a new supply. Then it retreats rapidly to the bottom."</i>

allison
10-09-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by souldancer
GOOD FOR YOU! &nbsp;Raising awareness but keeping focused on what you need to do to keep your life balanced. &nbsp;Thanks my fellow vegeterian - animal welfare friend!:) &nbsp;

Hmmm a name, &nbsp;- &nbsp;
MOP; &nbsp;Testy (we all know about their hormones); &nbsp; Lucifer (fins like angels); Warrior; Creedom

Thanks, SD! See, I am making an effort to keep balanced!

allison
10-09-2002, 01:54 PM
<b>And allison yer could name yer fish..."Potty Trained!!":) :lol: :lol: :silly: &nbsp;:dork: </b>

But I don't have a fish...I don't get it. :confused:

allison
10-09-2002, 02:23 PM
The reason I brought up the hunting issue was because I had a feeling that you were an animal activist of sorts... just wanted to let you know where I stood was all. No hard feelings allison?

No, no hard feelings. I guess it just seemed provocational to me b/c it was completely off the subject.

[i]Originally posted by Lady Valkyrie [I]"Bettas can be safely kept in these small bowls and containers for many reasons. They have a relatively slow metabolism and are not very active. They are typically slow swimmers and do not mix well with many of the quick tropical fish which are kept in large aquariums. Since they are not active, the small environment is not detrimental to the Betta's health. In fact, it is much safer to keep them singularly in these small bowls and Tiny Tanks than in tropical community aquariums. Bettas are incredibly adaptable to water conditions, which is another great reason to keep them in small bowls.?[/b]

I have no doubt that they are "safe" in small bowls, but I don't think they are happy. The above simply explains that it's not detrimental to their health (assuming that's true) to keep them in very small containers. It has nothing to do with with what the fish's interests are (which are probably NOT to be in a flower vase!) I think they deserve to be in their natural habitat, not in some 4 oz plastic cup at Walmart where they literally cannot move and are injected with dye, or in a friggin' plant vase existing simply for our amusement. I just don't think it's right.

*Tells self, "Okay, no more animal talk for me, this is my escape, remember."*

GoodGodGirl23
10-09-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by allison
But I don't have a fish...I don't get it. :confused:

Oops! I must have been really really tired dat day!!!sry!!! Think it was LV a naming her fishy?:eek: :dork: :thud:

allison
10-09-2002, 07:27 PM
Oops! I must have been really really tired dat day!!!sry!!! Think it was LV a naming her fishy?:eek: :dork: :thud:

No worries, I have brain lapses too! :)

TeriB19
10-12-2002, 12:56 AM
So what have we come up with for a name? Anything sound good? Stappy? Tru? How about Flipfish?

GoodGodGirl23
10-12-2002, 04:04 PM
Name dat fishy "Pan fry"..ha! ha!:P

Lady Valkyrie
10-13-2002, 12:06 AM
Well I've narrowed the names down to Lucifer ... My fishie has such beautiful angle like fins/wings and he's all red... like a fire embers red) ... or Creeder ... I've been calling my fishie my little Critter... and seeing I have that southern West Virginia Hillbilly accent going it comes out sounding like Creeder... so what do ya'll think?

GoodGodGirl23
10-13-2002, 12:28 PM
Lucifer! heh! dat's good!:devil:

GoodGodGirl23
10-15-2002, 02:58 PM
Well I've narrowed the names down to Lucifer ... My fishie has such beautiful angle like fins/wings and he's all red... like a fire embers red) ... or Creeder ... I've been calling my fishie my little Critter... and seeing I have that southern West Virginia Hillbilly accent going it comes out sounding like Creeder... so what do ya'll think?

Soooo, whah was yer final selection?:confused:

Lady Valkyrie
10-15-2002, 08:36 PM
lol final decsion is Critter... which when I pronouce it it sounds like creeder. Is that your final answer? Yes it is Regis.