Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Pearl Jam [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Jam

Redeemer
02-04-2003, 12:21 PM
When was Pearl Jam started? I'm thinking about doing my Junior Research Paper (something stupid in my school that you have to do when you're a junior) on them, but if I do, I have to trace their development as an artist, which means they need to be more than 10 years old. I hope they're more than 10 years old, because I really want to research them. Can anyone tell me?

Dogstar
02-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Hey Redeemer, they are more than 10 years old, so you're in luck. Some of the members started out in a late 80s Seattle band called Mother Love Bone. iI forget exactly which ones, but I think it might have been Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard. MLB's frontman, Andy Wood, died of a drug overdose, I think. PJ got together a little after that. Their first album, Ten, came out in 1990, I think, so you might luck out. Jango, a member on this board, knows much more about them. He is a major fan :D.

Redeemer
02-04-2003, 02:06 PM
Hey, thanx, Dogstar, that really helps. I'll tell my English teacher and see what she says.

DangerousDan85
02-04-2003, 02:08 PM
she's gonna say no, i can feel it

Dogstar
02-04-2003, 02:12 PM
Awww, don't rain on Redeemer's parade already, Dan :(... The teacher might say yes. :D!

jango
02-04-2003, 03:17 PM
Woo hoo. Alright, here goes.

Gossard and Ament had a few side projects in the late 80s including The Ducky Boys, Deranged Diction, March of Crimes, etc. From these bands, a combination was formed called Green River, consisting of Mark Arm at vocals, Gossard and Steve Turner on guitar and Ament on the bass. Arm and Turner would later form the band Mudhoney, while Ament and Gossard would go on to form the band Mother Love Bone, a band discovered by none other than Gene Simmons. Mother Love Bone dissolved, after lead singer, Andrew Wood, died of a heroin overdose.

As a tribute to Wood, his roommate, Chris Cornell (sound familiar?) formed a tribute band and recorded a tribute album under the name "Temple of the Dog," a line found in the MLB song "Man of Golden Words." Temple, at the time consisted of Cornell, Gossard, Ament, Matt Cameron of Soundgarden, and newcomer, Mike McCready. At the same time, McCready, Gossard and Ament recorded a demo with McCready's Dollar Short which would evolve into "Alive." A demo that found its way to a gas station worker named Edward Louis Severson III, or Eddie Vedder. At the time, Vedder was in a band called Bad Radio, who recorded Better Man before it made it to Vitalogy. Vedder recorded over the demo, forming the Mamasan Trilogy of Alive, Once, and Footsteps. The three were impressed, and Vedder joined the Temple album, adding vocals to Hunger Strike. Following the Temple project, and with the addition of David Krusen at drums, the band Mookie Blaylock was formed consisting of Vedder, Ament, Gossard, McCready and Krusen. The band later changed their name to Pearl Jam after Eddie's grandmother's Peyote, named Pearl's Jam.

TeriB19
02-04-2003, 07:07 PM
Jango got his doctorate in Pearl Jam. ;)

Dogstar
02-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Jango rules when it comes to Pearl Jam. I had forgotten about the Mookie Blaylock name, LOL.

Redeemer
02-05-2003, 02:22 PM
Wow, thanx, Jango. I'll have to quote you as one of my sources if I do my project on Pearl Jam.
Dan, i have a feeling she's gonna say no, too. She has a habit of "raining on my parade", as Dogstar put it. I mean, I just failed her midterm. What a flop i am. :(

Dogstar
02-05-2003, 02:24 PM
Hang in there, Redeemer. If you show her how much passion you have for the project, maybe she'll go for it!

Redeemer
02-05-2003, 02:30 PM
You know what? I think you're right!!! I'm gonna try it! :D Thanx, Dogstar!

Dogstar
02-05-2003, 02:45 PM
All riiiiight...You have all that background now. You can show her how much you've already found out. Make her understand how much music means to you and how this project would further that and how you really want to do something good to bring up you grade.

jango
02-05-2003, 05:39 PM
A good site for Pearl Jam info in general is lukin.com.

Good luck with the report.

Redeemer
02-06-2003, 12:03 PM
Thanx, Jango and Dogstar. I'll make sure to hit that site, too. I'm gonna do some more research and present my case to my teacher today. Wish me luck!!!

Dogstar
02-06-2003, 02:29 PM
Good luck, Redeemer. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. :D

CollectiveSoul
02-08-2003, 11:18 PM
dude PEARL JAM? what hteh hell arey ou thinking?

Dogstar
02-08-2003, 11:54 PM
I think it's a good idea for a project...
Redeemer, update us if you can. I hope your teacher said yes!

DangerousDan85
02-09-2003, 02:48 AM
Mookie Blaylock used to play for the Atlanta Hawks

creeder
02-09-2003, 06:28 AM
Pearl Jam Rocks

jango
02-09-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by DangerousDan85
Mookie Blaylock used to play for the Atlanta Hawks

Indeed... at the time he played with New Jersey, I believe.

DangerousDan85
02-09-2003, 06:52 PM
yeah

Redeemer
02-12-2003, 09:44 AM
Dogstar, I've given up the idea of doing Pearl Jam...don't ask me why, I just decided to do the Doors instead, probly b/c I can connect them to the '60's and how they influenced ppl's mindsets and stuff like that. I know Jango's gonna strangle me for making him type that long post in vain! :D

Dogstar
02-12-2003, 12:31 PM
LOL, Redeemer, but hey, at least you got some stellar info on the band. Jango is da MAN when it comes to PJ. The Doors are a good choice, too. Good luck with the project!

Redeemer
02-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Thanx!! Yeah, I did get some great info on PJ from the Expert w/a capital E! I'm hoping to learn more about the mystery (to me) known as Jim Morrison from this project--ya learn something new every day, as my dad always says, and I'll be learning something new for the next month and a half!!