Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
One on one... [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : One on one...

HeavenBesideYou
10-10-2006, 09:03 PM
So I have this idea for those here that insist on questioning what I and other Christians believe in.

BUT...

We need to keep it simple, one topic at a time to avoid the confusion and repetitive melee that coincides with discussions that lose their way.

I firmly believe the Faith and Religion forum (all the way back to the original Creed Board :pimp:) was intended just for that. Those of faith and religion that want to share their stories, opinions, thoughts, and testimonies come together here to do just that. Obviously with the past and present nature of this beast the internet, that will never happen. So...

If you want to make this a battle ground then so be it, but I find it discomforting to hash out the same topics over and over with no direction, with different peeps, every year or so because the original focus of the discussion gets lost. So here's what I propose:

Start a topic and stick with it until it is either finished or locked.

Don't thread jack.

If you are going to attack an idea that is okay, but do not attack the person, after all we are one.

These simple guidelines will provoke more intelligible discussions and perhaps open the doors for all here to learn from one another. I know I will post more if discussions are intellectual and not simple jabs at one another.

Thanks for listening… And post on family!!!

Peace,

Heaven

:pimp:

metalchris25
10-10-2006, 10:56 PM
Well put.

Lunar Shadow
10-11-2006, 12:11 AM
well the personal attacks fall in to fallacy

ad hominem: Latin for "to the man." An arguer who uses ad hominems attacks the person instead of the argument. Whenever an arguer cannot defend his position with evidence, facts or reason, he or she may resort to attacking an opponent either through: labeling, straw man arguments, name calling, offensive remarks and anger.

I try to avoid this in debate but I have been guilty of it as every one else has been.

staying on topic should happen iof a new topic araises in the discussion then start a new thread that is simple!

I do get rather tired of arguing the same subject over and over agian but the problem is that people don't do their homework to see if a topic has been touched on but that is bound to happen when new people come in every so often I mean I have argued things with chris that I have argued with Uncetrain and secret weapon. it seems almost unavoidable that is the nature of beign here for a while you've seen it all over and over agian.

RalphyS
10-11-2006, 04:53 AM
So I have this idea for those here that insist on questioning what I and other Christians believe in.

BUT...

We need to keep it simple, one topic at a time to avoid the confusion and repetitive melee that coincides with discussions that lose their way.

I firmly believe the Faith and Religion forum (all the way back to the original Creed Board :pimp:) was intended just for that. Those of faith and religion that want to share their stories, opinions, thoughts, and testimonies come together here to do just that. Obviously with the past and present nature of this beast the internet, that will never happen. So...:

I was also a poster of the original Creed board and I believe that at that time and at this time forums are for discussion, debate even, to talk about the pros and cons of Faith and Religion or the lack there-off, just my opinions and thoughts.

If you want to make this a battle ground then so be it, but I find it discomforting to hash out the same topics over and over with no direction, with different peeps, every year or so because the original focus of the discussion gets lost. So here's what I propose:

Start a topic and stick with it until it is either finished or locked.

Don't thread jack.

I would not want to make this place a battle ground, but there is nothing wrong with an exchange of opposing ideas and as long as we don't all agree on the outcome, it is inevitable that some of the old disagreements keep coming up and that the difference at times will be addressed with new posters or old ones, who want to give their input. About the focus I can state that I usually try only to react to what someone has posted in a thread, if that turns into a separate issue, I'll be glad to discuss it in a separate thread.

If you are going to attack an idea that is okay, but do not attack the person, after all we are one.

These simple guidelines will provoke more intelligible discussions and perhaps open the doors for all here to learn from one another. I know I will post more if discussions are intellectual and not simple jabs at one another.

Thanks for listening… And post on family!!!

Peace,

Heaven

:pimp:

That being said, I always try to remain as civil as possible at all times, sometimes it's hard because our opinions/worldviews differ so greatly, that words as absurd and nonsense at times come up, which can hit home perhaps. It is never my intention to offend people, but some ideas might be offensive to people with other worldviews, but I do think that only good can come from discussing these differing views, so we can at least create some idea where the others are coming from, although it is possible and indeed likely that we will never see eye to eye.

bilal
10-11-2006, 10:40 AM
if the purpose of discussions is to learn more about other persons views.... that do sounds good, even if those views are not in reconciliation with yours....thats fine.... but first thing to agree here is that do we really want to listen to others views, and that if we go on and do listen, can we stay calm and civilised to acheive the original purpose of discussion... i mean, i have been reading the FAITH forum for a lot of time, and trust me, i am so much excited to learn more about Christinaity/ Atheism now then i might never have been ever but only after coming at this board....and i gota give credit to the people here .....but i have learned all this only by staying passive..... i mean, i welcome all questions / opinons people have regarding my Faith but yes, it would be good if we just quite the blaming thing and actually stick to one topic, as HBY suggested..... i rather chose to be passive here and read all your comments but i may only interupt, as i TRY to, when i find a misconception.... .so yes, i would be glad to READ some organised/ independently moderated discussions here..... ALL THE BEST GUYS!

Rocketqueen
10-13-2006, 12:11 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: HAAAAAAAAAAAAA, WE SHALL INDEED GET THERE AMEN AND AMEN, GLORY TO GOD I agree with you and back you 100 percent ...and i know the guys can get way off topic . and confuse each other but without we cant learn to understand each other , i believe all their opions should be welcome, AND I Welcome Theme , THE WORD IS NOT THE AUTHER OF CONFUSION :bounce: :hugs: :hugs: everybody needs to be heared, AMEN