Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
New York Times vs America? [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : New York Times vs America?

eusebioCBR
06-27-2006, 08:26 PM
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NzE1OWViMDAwZTY0YTFkMGIyZTI5NzIxMmNkNzAzNjI=

This was a legal program that the New York Times demanded (through editorials) two weeks after 9/11.

This was a good defence program that was getting good results, so what was the motivation for the NYT? Aide and comfort to the enemy?:mad1:

Ana4Stapp
06-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Isnt America "land of free"? so...here you have freedom of speach? Or is this only to the cartoons in muslim world case?

eusebioCBR
06-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Isnt America "land of free"? so...here you have freedom of speach? Or is this only to the cartoons in muslim world case?

This could be a crime because this has to do with national security.

There are cartoons that mock Christians all the time in the American media. So all other faiths cartooned welcome to the club.

metalchris25
06-27-2006, 11:18 PM
The times should be prosecuted. If not, who knows what else they may leak?

RalphyS
06-28-2006, 06:03 AM
What exactly did the NYT publish about the Terrorist Finance Tracking Program? Did they publish the exact methods used or did they publish those who were investigated? Or did they publish misuse of this program?

The NYT cannot leak the information, the information was leaked to them, every newspaper/media should have some selfcontrol, whether the publishing of something is not only newsworthy, but also beneficial to the public. I do not know what exactly the NYT published and I do agree that finance tracking of terrorists is a good idea, but without some openness about that, how can there be any regulation on the misuse of such a program?

eusebioCBR
06-28-2006, 10:06 AM
What exactly did the NYT publish about the Terrorist Finance Tracking Program? Did they publish the exact methods used or did they publish those who were investigated? Or did they publish misuse of this program?

The NYT cannot leak the information, the information was leaked to them, every newspaper/media should have some selfcontrol, whether the publishing of something is not only newsworthy, but also beneficial to the public. I do not know what exactly the NYT published and I do agree that finance tracking of terrorists is a good idea, but without some openness about that, how can there be any regulation on the misuse of such a program?

The LA Times and another major newspaper were aware of the leak. The US Government asked them to sit on the story and they did. When these papers learned of the NYT intention to publish, then they did as well.

The NYT admits the program was legal, so what was their point/goal?

Does NYT hate Pres. Bush enough to weaken my countrys efforts to track terrorist fund transfers?

RalphyS
06-29-2006, 07:28 AM
Once again, what did the NYT publish about the program?

And exactly, how does the publishing weaken the program?

Why can't the terrorist funds tracking be done without secrecy?

eusebioCBR
06-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Once again, what did the NYT publish about the program?

And exactly, how does the publishing weaken the program?<:wtf:

Why can't the terrorist funds tracking be done without secrecy?

The New York Times made the world aware by letting the world know of the programs activity.

If you let a terrorist/criminal know how they're being monitored, they'll figure out another way to achieve their goal.

Thus weakening our(USA) effort.:(

RalphyS
06-30-2006, 06:10 AM
The fact that the finances of terrorists were being tracked and monitored wasn't a secret, that was common knowledge.

Did the NYT name specific accounts that were being tracked or specific persons or did they give a general profile of how the program worked/was being used?

eusebioCBR
06-30-2006, 12:19 PM
The program was working, finances being seized and arrests being made.

If it was common knoledge then why bother publishing and why was Pres. Bush angry over the story?

Besides two other major papers agreed not to publish until the NYT decided to.

RalphyS
07-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Well here in The Netherlands I've read stories about bank accounts, which were suspected of funding terroristic activities, being blocked ages ago and I also read about the cooperation that other nations were giving to tracking down the financial resources of the funding, so it was common knowledge here for a long, long time.

eusebioCBR
07-01-2006, 03:05 PM
^That's interesting

Steve
07-01-2006, 11:18 PM
See this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/29/washington/29intel.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

You probably need to register for an account to read it, but here's an excerpt that tells what the NYT published:

But that fact has not muted the fury of Mr. Bush, his top aides and many members of Congress at the decision last week by The New York Times and other newspapers to disclose a centerpiece of that hunt: the Treasury Department's search for clues in a vast database of financial transactions maintained by a Belgium-based banking consortium known as Swift.

They basically gave details as to what this program was doing - tracking transactions through a Belgium-based banking consortium. By printing this now Al Qaeda knows what we're doing to track them so they'll change their methods and we'll be back at the drawing board again....