Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
TGD certified Platinum by the RIAA [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : TGD certified Platinum by the RIAA

Bullets
12-31-2005, 12:04 AM
Hey guys - didn't see anyone mentioning this...this week on Billboard TGD had a little black triangle next to his listing meaning the was certified platinum by the RIAA.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?f=The+Billboard+200&pageNumber=Top+51-100&g=Albums

Ana4Stapp
12-31-2005, 12:45 AM
Cool ...

The Lithium
12-31-2005, 06:58 AM
What...? How is that possible?

Wait, there must be a screw up over at the Billboard site! There is NOT a word about the album selling Platinum on:
www.scottstapp.com
www.friendsofscottstapp.com
www.creed.com
www.winduprecords.com
www.passionbreedsfollowers.com

Plus, there has been no news up about the album even turning Gold. This is not true...

Peace

rabidgopher04
12-31-2005, 09:25 AM
Especially considering its position on the Billboard chart it's hard to believe that it has sold over a million copies already.

titan9
12-31-2005, 11:43 AM
It hasn't sold platinum yet. That little symbol signifies that it has SHIPPED platinum. It won't be certified platinum until all the copies shipped are sold.

The Lithium
12-31-2005, 12:11 PM
Well, then ODR must have been shipped platinum as well.

titan9
12-31-2005, 12:22 PM
^^ Does it really matter? This whole thing shouldn't be a competition between Alter Bridge and Stapp. It seems like a lot of people are making it into that. So what if Stapp doesn't go gold as quickly as Alter Bridge did? So what if Stapp goes platinum before Alter Bridge does? It doesn't matter. As an equal fan of both, I'm sick of the whole competition thing. I'd rather just kick back and enjoy the music, and not worry about who outsells who.

With that being said, ODR probably has shipped platinum. I don't have official word on that, though. I guess I could probably look around and find it.

in reality
12-31-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks Bullets for this info. Wanted to see it go platinum, so cool news.

evyllsummer
12-31-2005, 12:59 PM
Well, then ODR must have been shipped platinum as well.

no, they only shipped gold...

Stappishot
12-31-2005, 01:25 PM
WOW he's like # 59 on the billboard charts. That's surprising news to me.

titan9
12-31-2005, 02:58 PM

It's been certified gold, hasn't it? I'd suggest that WU ships more, because a lot of the stores I've been to either have only a single copy left, or have sold out. My local Best Buy had only one copy left of ODR last week.

On the opposite side of things, I've been to several stores(Walmart, Best Buy, Target, Kmart etc.) and seen tons of copies of TGD. While a good deal of the copies have been sold, there's still a ton left. I'm thinkin' maybe WU shouldn't have shipped platinum just yet.

I still think that once Stapp starts touring(hopefully in a few months), the record sales will jump a good bit. Some albums just take longer than others to climb the charts. All it takes is one hit single to make an album go gold or even platinum. We'll see, though.

The Lithium
12-31-2005, 10:43 PM
That's so strage... I mean... AB's first weeks sales was even better than Stapp's. I'm not trying to make it into a competition, I'm just saying it's strage.

titan9
01-01-2006, 01:32 AM
Better by roughly 1,000(I think Billboard had TGD's first week sales pegged around 94,500, or somewhere along that line, while AB's were around 95,000). I think WU still believes that Stapp, because his music is more pop radio friendly than AB's, will sell more than AB. Whether they are right or not, that remains to be seen. Right now, as far as I can tell, the sales for TGD and ODR are about equal(in terms of week by week sales). Still, I don't think comparisons are fair at this point. Really, I'd rather not compare the two.

As I'm typing all of this, 311 is on my TV singing one of their songs on New Year's Rockin' Eve. I find it hilarious. Maybe it's the lack of sleep talking, but I think it's funny how the lead singer is constantly hiding his injured hand from the camera's view, almost like he is ashamed of it. Given what we've heard from the AP and Security dude, and how 311 was so quick to proclaim their innocence, I'd be kinda ashamed as well if it came out that I might have been lying all along. I know, I know, this all has been rehashed and discussed a ton, but I just found it kinda funny. If the Security dude wouldn't have said that 311 started it, I'd still believe their story and wouldn't be laughing so hard about this.

I think I need to get some sleep before I ramble on anymore...... :D

Chase
01-02-2006, 01:00 AM
He did the same thing recently on their Last Call/ with Carson Daly performance. I actually posted something in the Music Matters section about how was hiding his hand the entire time. It was hilarious... and to top it off, they were terrible on the show.

Unforgiven Fan
01-02-2006, 01:32 AM
I have been in many music and other stores who sell music, and there is a crap load of scott stapp records on the self still. He has not sold a million copies, there is no way. Like a post before before me, Wind Up and BMG (I think) shipped a million copies thinking Stapp would be a great hit, but that is falling flat on its face. (I have to say I do like his CD so I am not trying to bash him or the cd)

The Lithium
01-02-2006, 04:50 AM
Better by roughly 1,000(I think Billboard had TGD's first week sales pegged around 94,500, or somewhere along that line, while AB's were around 95,000). I think WU still believes that Stapp, because his music is more pop radio friendly than AB's, will sell more than AB. Whether they are right or not, that remains to be seen. Right now, as far as I can tell, the sales for TGD and ODR are about equal(in terms of week by week sales). Still, I don't think comparisons are fair at this point. Really, I'd rather not compare the two.
Yeah, whatever... I'm proud of being a fan of AB, such a fan friendly, down to earth, and talanted band. No matter how many records they sell!

I have been in many music and other stores who sell music, and there is a crap load of scott stapp records on the self still. He has not sold a million copies, there is no way. Like a post before before me, Wind Up and BMG (I think) shipped a million copies thinking Stapp would be a great hit, but that is falling flat on its face.
Yeah, seriously... That's the only explanation. (I do too like the CD and am not trying to bash Scott).

Ana4Stapp
01-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Yeah, whatever... I'm proud of being a fan of AB, such a fan friendly, down to earth, and talanted band. No matter how many records they sell!

;)

titan9
01-02-2006, 03:57 PM
He did the same thing recently on their Last Call/ with Carson Daly performance. I actually posted something in the Music Matters section about how was hiding his hand the entire time. It was hilarious... and to top it off, they were terrible on the show.

They weren't downright awful on this show, but they weren't good, either. I wanted to give them a chance, but their type of music is lost on me, I guess.

I'm proud of being a fan of AB and Stapp as well. I thoroughly enjoy both. If all I cared about was album sales, I wouldn't be a fan of AB, Stapp, 12 Stones, Kutless, Sanctus Real, Pillar, Shinedown, many of the bands that I love. The only bands I'd like would be U2, Creed and Audioslave. That's about it. But I couldn't care less about album sales. The quality of the music is all that matters to me.

I have been in many music and other stores who sell music, and there is a crap load of scott stapp records on the self still. He has not sold a million copies, there is no way. Like a post before before me, Wind Up and BMG (I think) shipped a million copies thinking Stapp would be a great hit, but that is falling flat on its face. (I have to say I do like his CD so I am not trying to bash him or the cd)

I still think Stapp can be a big hit, but I think releasing "The Great Divide" as the first single might have been a huge mistake. I believe that if they went in a different direction and released "Justify" or "Hard Way", that might have faired better. "Justify" would have proven that Stapp is not Creed 2.0, but instead a solo artist starting over again. I still believe that, if released, "Surround Me" could be a big hit for him, but I'd like to see WU release a harder single next.

Ana4Stapp
01-02-2006, 04:21 PM
I still think Stapp can be a big hit, but I think releasing "The Great Divide" as the first single might have been a huge mistake. I believe that if they went in a different direction and released "Justify" or "Hard Way", that might have faired better. "Justify" would have proven that Stapp is not Creed 2.0, but instead a solo artist starting over again. I still believe that, if released, "Surround Me" could be a big hit for him, but I'd like to see WU release a harder single next.

Exactly! ;)

guitardude1985
01-02-2006, 07:03 PM
It's kinda funny, the sales of both stapp and AB are 50/50 and the answer is quite appearent. When creed broke up the fan base split. It really puts things into perspective as to how huge creeds base was.

Unforgiven Fan
01-02-2006, 08:28 PM
It's kinda funny, the sales of both stapp and AB are 50/50 and the answer is quite appearent. When creed broke up the fan base split. It really puts things into perspective as to how huge creeds base was.

Well the fan base for Creed was complicated, there were MOP fans, MOP/Human Clay fans, HC/Weathred fans, all three album fans, or the so-called fans (fakies) who only liked one or two singles...and this was always shifting and there was probably a small solid fan base that was attached to all three albums and what the band was about but never a large one. So it is possible that this small fan base could have split 50/50 but it sounds like there is some crossover fans who like both sides, and some who like one or the others. There is also the possiblity that some of the solid creed fan base did not progressed to one of the two sides.

SecretWeapon
01-02-2006, 08:30 PM
I still believe that, if released, "Surround Me" could be a big hit for him, but I'd like to see WU release a harder single next.

i agree that it could be a hit (I love it) ,but i am doubting that they will release a harder song next . Surround Me actually seems to be the next one , considering thats really the only other song besides TGD that Scott seems to be singing anywhere. That is , the only other one of his own solo songs ....

The Lithium
01-02-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm proud of being a fan of AB and Stapp as well.
Well, I can't say I'm "proud" of being a fan of Scott. He behaves like an asshole and his music isn't original at all. (Although I do like TGD).

But I couldn't care less about album sales. The quality of the music is all that matters to me.
I care a whole lot about album sales. The more they sell the bigger their success will be. And in oder for bands to come to Sweden, they must have some success.

I actually don't agree at all. I think we've all seen the Top of Stapp's career, and that was in Creed. I honestly don't think Stapp will be a hit. And I think releasing The Great Divide as the first single was pretty fair, since he is, (at least trying to), be Creed 2. It's pretty obvious, John Kurzweg even produced his CD.

Ana4Stapp
01-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Well, I can't say I'm "proud" of being a fan of Scott. He behaves like an asshole and his music isn't original at all. (Although I do like TGD).

Same here.

I care a whole lot about album sales. The more they sell the bigger their success will be. And in oder for bands to come to Sweden, they must have some success.

Lith, I think I got what titan meant (and I agreed with that): albums sales isnt the same of 'quality', you know a lof of 'artists' who sell tons of copies even though their music is crap. The list has Eminem, Britney Spears, Ahsley Simpson, Usher...wow...a lot of them...

So I prefer that AB doenst sell so much albums than selling making crap music;)

titan9
01-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Lith, I think I got what titan meant (and I agreed with that): albums sales isnt the same of 'quality', you know a lof of 'artists' who sell tons of copies even though their music is crap. The list has Eminem, Britney Spears, Ahsley Simpson, Usher...wow...a lot of them...

So I prefer that AB doenst sell so much albums than selling making crap music;)

Exactly, Ana. Of course I want the band to be successful and earn enough money to not have to worry about finances. But I do not think sales translate to quality. If my favorite artist sells only 100,000 albums their entire career, that doesn't make me think their music is crap. I guess the difference between Lith and I is that I prefer to dwell on positivity(that's my lifestyle, that's what I believe in), while Lith seems to be a bit cynical concerning Stapp.

And I don't let what musicians do influence whether or not I am proud to be a fan of theirs. If I did that, I'd be ashamed to call myself a Creed fan, given what happened in Chicago. But I am not. I let the music speak for itself and influence whether or not I like a band. And I choose to be positive concerning said band or artist. That's just me, though.

Soundslave
01-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Unlike AB who probably won't ever be a household name on Top40 radio, I feel that Stapp will never be able to gain widespread popularity on rock radio. For his album to become extremely popular, Windup really should stick to the softer, more AC type songs like Surround Me and Broken.

I just don't think that songs such as Fight Song, Hard Way, or Justify would catch on. Justify could've become a hit if Stapp had sang the verses instead of talking them.