Home | Home | Home | Home | Home
Favorite books you've read [Archive] - CreedFeed Community

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite books you've read

TeriB19
09-22-2002, 10:40 AM
Being a big Stephen King fan, I love It, The Talisman, The Stand, and The Shining. I do NOT, however enjoy Stephen King movies. I do not feel the movies do any justice to the books. My favorite book of his overall that was made into a terrific and very sad movie is The Green Mile. If any of you saw it, the movie follows the book very closely, which made it even that much more enjoyable.

Dogstar
09-22-2002, 12:23 PM
Wow, tough question. One of my favorites is The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx. A wonderful story that is rich in quirky characters. If you can get used to the unusual rhythm of the writing, it's a real treat of a story. I also enjoyed the Tolkien trilogy immensely. I'm thinking of re-reading them as it has been *ahem* decades since I read them. Another book that I enjoyed for its wicked sardonic bent was called A Confederacy of Dunces. The author's name escapes me at the moment, but it is a gem. He wrote it and couldn't get it published because it was just a tad un-pc and a bit dark, but wickedly funny. The author ended up killing himself and his mother went on a crusade to get it published. It was written in the late 60s or early 70s, I think.

Steve
09-22-2002, 12:26 PM
Teri, you didn't like "The Stand" movie? I thought it was good. I never read the book, but my sister reads alot of Stephen King thought that movie was pretty good.

I don't read a whole lot, but my favorite book hands down is "The Lord of the Rings" (3 parts) and "The Hobbit"

TeriB19
09-22-2002, 12:52 PM
The Stand in book form was a piece of art. The movie version, while entertaining, fell very short. You know when you are reading a book and you can picture in your head what actors or actresses you think would be perfect to portray characters in the film version of your book? Well, the only person who fit the role that I had in my head was Greg Faagerbakke as Tom Cullen. Other than that, the movie was okay but did not live up to the book.

Dogstar
09-22-2002, 01:02 PM
That's why I refused to see The Shipping News movie. I had my own version of what the characters looked like and I knew the movie wouldn't come close to doing the book justice.

TeriB19
09-22-2002, 01:31 PM
I'll have to pick that one up. I have heard that a book called "Man Walks into a Room" is fairly good. A man loses 24 years of his life to amnesia. Like you, dogstar, the author's name escapes me, but I think I may pick that one up soon too.

jango
09-22-2002, 02:47 PM
JRR Tolkien all around. A little rough on the intros, but once you're in, you're in for 20 years.

My favorite classics, though, would be Fyodor Dostoevsky's Crime & Punishment and Charles Dickens's Tale of Two Cities. A bit cliche, but I love that book.

Mein Kampf is a good, albeit highly frustrating, read; especially if you're into politics. ;)

hayley
09-22-2002, 05:10 PM
ohh, i like thriller books.

souldancer
09-23-2002, 03:42 AM
Siddartha, Coma, Jonathon Livingston Seagull, Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, ....

TeriB19
09-23-2002, 05:46 AM
Souldancer, that is a well rounded list! Little for everyone there.
Is that Coma by Robin Cook?

souldancer
09-23-2002, 12:32 PM
Yes, Robin Cook! oH...i neglected to include The Road Less Traveled...got too much overplay, kind of like HIgher. Also love Alice Hoffman for nice escapes as well as Green Eggs & Ham, the Lorax and Hop on Pop!!

jango
09-23-2002, 01:27 PM
Aside from novels, I thoroughly enjoy poetry books by the likes of Robert Frost and such.

allison
09-23-2002, 04:18 PM
Two very excellent, "must-read" books I have read recently:

1. Memoirs of a Geisha

2. White Oleander

The movie White Oleander is coming out next month-I probably won't see it though b/c they usually ruin the book.

CollectiveSoul
09-23-2002, 04:59 PM
War and Peace.......still reading after 6 years

hayley
09-23-2002, 05:33 PM
what??? u've been reading that book for 6 years???? :confused:

jango
09-23-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by allison
<b>Two very excellent, "must-read" books I have read recently:

1. Memoirs of a Geisha

2. White Oleander &nbsp;

The movie White Oleander is coming out next month-I probably won't see it though b/c they usually ruin the book. </b>

Excited about the White Oleander movie?

Altair
09-24-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by souldancer
Siddartha, Coma, Jonathon Livingston Seagull, Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, &nbsp;....

Figures. ;)

I, too, would have to mention "Zen, and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" Hello, Phaedrus. You still there? lol

I also liked the sequel (I'm forgetting the title, but I know it has to do with a woman's name).

Other favorites include certain Alan Watts titles, Paramahansa Yoganonda, and some of the Star Wars trilogies after "Return of the Jedi"

souldancer
09-24-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Altair
<b> Other favorites include certain Alan Watts titles, Paramahansa Yoganonda, and some of the Star Wars trilogies after "Return of the Jedi" </b> - hey, Alan Watts! Does that mean Ram Dass too? We're just a bunch of West Coasters. I never read Lila (Pirsig' other book) after Zen...) Loved Te of Piglet and 100th Monkey too.

allison
09-24-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by jango
Excited about the White Oleander movie?

Well, sort of. I'd kind of like to see it but I don't know b/c it seems like every movie I have seen that was an great book (Message in a Bottle comes to mind), the movie, of course, is inferior, and it's disappointing. Plus, you know how when you read, you have your own mental picture of the characters, then when you see them on screen, and they aren't the same, it's also a little disappointing. You feel like, "that's not my (character's name)!" Am I making any sense? I don't know, I'll probably see it though. And the actors are very close visually to how I imagined them.

Aimee
09-24-2002, 09:01 PM
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Wells is a book that I can read over and over again.

Aimee
09-24-2002, 09:04 PM
The last book I read was Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen.
Also, read a book by Dan Rather (can't remember the name) that told stories of Americans who persue the American Dream regardless of their odds.

Aimee
09-24-2002, 09:16 PM
Irene Weinberg lost her husband in a car accident. She went on John Edward's show as a skeptic. John asked her if she was wearing a charm of a skiier under her sweater. It was her husband's. Favorite. She was. She then went on to seek another psychic who, because the spirit was so strong, allowed Irene to speak to her husband through the psychic's body. Her story is much more compelling than I can say and beautifully written by Saul Weinberg, Irene's husband - from another plane.
You can read her story in Love's Eternal Marriage and you can order it from www.1stbooks.com (http://www.1stbooks.com)

TeriB19
09-24-2002, 09:51 PM
<b> &nbsp;Plus, you know how when you read, you have your own mental picture of the characters, then when you see them on screen, and they aren't the same, it's also a little disappointing. &nbsp;You feel like, "that's not my (character's name)!" &nbsp;Am I making any sense? &nbsp;I don't know, I'll probably see it though. &nbsp;And the actors are very close visually to how I imagined them. </b> I ALWAYS do that. I can see in my mind what type of person my character is, and when they cast someone completely opposite at my character, it really annoys me. That's why I try to avoid movies made from some of my favorite books.

Mulletman
09-24-2002, 11:01 PM
i would have to say Beowulf. i know its a senior english book, but i just couldnt drop it. i;ve been meaning to rent the movie from blockbuster, but i always forget

TeriB19
09-24-2002, 11:41 PM
Oh my God they made it into a movie? I remember reading that and we used to call my old boss at work Grendel and joke that we worked in Grendel's lair. Oh man, I had forgotten all about that. I'll have to check the video out.

TeriB19
09-24-2002, 11:42 PM
I just finished reading the 4th in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Better than the first 3, so hopefully the last 3 will kick ass. Then he is supposedly retiring.

Siana
09-25-2002, 09:12 AM
I like almost everything by S.King and Grisham.

allison
09-25-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by TeriB19
I ALWAYS do that. I can see in my mind what type of person my character is, and when they cast someone completely opposite at my character, it really annoys me. That's why I try to avoid movies made from some of my favorite books.

I know, I almost feel like the character in my head died, like I have lost them b/c they are replaced by the person in the film. :(

TeriB19
09-25-2002, 11:17 AM
I always go into the theater with the type of character I envision, and if the person playing that character does not live up to my vision, I immediatley take one star away from the movie. In the film (miniseries) version of "The Stand", I envisioned Harrison Ford in the role of Stu Redman, not Gary Sinese. And for the role of Frannie, Molly Ringwald would be the last actress I would've cast. I would've cast my cat in the role before I'd cast her. That just brought the movie down a few pegs for me.

Mulletman
09-25-2002, 01:59 PM
i liked the partner by grisham, that was a good book.

TeriB19
09-25-2002, 11:33 PM
Grisham has written some good ones. I think he may be the author of the next book I read.

Lady Valkyrie
09-26-2002, 10:06 AM
The Holy Bible is my first and foremost favorite book to read.

I am a huge Stephen King fan. The Stand... the UNCUT version that he rereleased, is the best he's ever written. Did you guys know that King is officially retireing? Yeah he has finished 2 books, the last of the Gunslinger Dark Tower series, #6 and #7... and that's it forever... no more new Stephen King Novels... :( Oh and I have all of the novels that he has done with Peter Straub.

I also love Thomas Harris... the man who brought us The Red Dragon (Which is now made into a movie), The Silence of the Lambs, and Hannible. The Silence of the Lambs movie was perfect. I loved the Hannible movie up until the end... the book ended completely different! :( I am so excited to see The Red Dragon! I am such a fan of Anthony Hopkins!!!:D

I also love Clive Barker... the man who brought us the Hellraiser movies. There is an obscure 3 volume set of books that Barker wrote that I absolutely love. They are called The Books Of Blood. It's a collection of blood and gore shot stories. It's really twisted!:D

I also love Sue Grafton... she is the one who has written the A-B-C murder mystery series. I have A - P so far.

I am a big fan of Robin Cook as well. My favorite so far is Chromosome 6.

I love the classics as well. I am currently re-reading Little Women... after that I will read Jo's Boys and Little Men all by Louise M. Alcott

I've always loved Tolkein's writings especially The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

I also love reading a lot of things by Christian authors. Bishop T.D. Jakes' Woman Thou Art Loosed, The Lady Her Lover Her Lord, His Lady, and Maximize The Moment are my personal favorites. I also read Bible teacher Joyce Meyer's books. My favorites by her are Reduce Me To Love, Enjoy Where You Are On The Way To Where You Are Going, and How To Succeed At Being Yourself. And finally I love the book called Jesus Freaks Stories of Those Who Stood For Jesus: The Ultimate Jesus Freaks by D.CTalk and The Voice of The Martyrs

Siana
09-27-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Mulletman
i liked the partner by grisham, that was a good book.

yes,i know,i like it too

Aimee
09-27-2002, 08:55 PM
My favorite book is The Color Purple by Alice Walker. It's not exactly literary material, but the emotions it evokes are profound.

Dogstar
09-27-2002, 09:11 PM
I also love Sue Grafton... she is the one who has written the A-B-C murder mystery series. I have A - P so far.

I love those books. They are good fun. I think I only got as far as L, though.
:D

TeriB19
09-27-2002, 10:57 PM
That's one author I've never read. Maybe now that King is retiring (wink wink) I'll pick up Sue Grafton.

GoodGodGirl23
09-28-2002, 01:31 AM
Books in my room are all along the spiritual line...

Ruby
09-28-2002, 05:23 PM
I loved Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier. Thats gonna be a movie soon too. I'll go see it. Jude Law is playing the lead and he is excellent. I usually buy all my books so I can go back and browse them cause I forget so much of what I read Im sorry to say. I'll just go to a used book store and pick something up and if I like the first page I get it. I've had good luck and find some unusual stuff.

Dogstar
09-28-2002, 06:35 PM
That's funny. That's how I buy, too. If it doesn't grab me in the first three paragraphs, I won't buy it.

Aimee
09-28-2002, 08:44 PM
That's how editors choose what books to publish. If it doesn't grab their attention right away, they throw it out.

hayley
09-28-2002, 09:14 PM
i don't buy books, i just go to my local library.
I read a book called The Diary Of Anne Frank, it's my mum's, and i found it very interesting...good novel.

souldancer
09-29-2002, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by addicted2stapp
i don't buy books, i just go to my local library.
I read a book called The Diary Of Anne Frank, it's my mum's, and i found it very interesting...good novel. I have fond memories how moved I was reading that book as well as Jane Adams. I'ts been many years though.
Now I am reading Studs Terkel "Will the Circle Be Unbroken; Reflections on death, rebirth and hunger for faith."

Dogstar
09-29-2002, 03:02 AM
Wow, me, too on Anne Frank. I was in seventh grade when I read it, and I just cried and cried. All I could think of was how lucky I was not have had to live through something like it. It made me realize how delicate the balance is sometimes.

hayley
09-29-2002, 03:39 AM
yeah i know!!!
right now though i am reading a book called...Summer Of Shadows, it's about this girl and she has this horse, (Shadow) and he is really really old, but Shadow means the world to this girl....it's really just about the bond between her and the horse, and other things pop up every now and then..it's a beautiful story, very sad.

Dogstar
09-29-2002, 03:55 AM
And touching, too, I'm sure...I like it when I hear that you younger folk are reading. Here in the States, not as many people read anymore. It's such a great trip, reading. It's the best, right up there with music!

GoodGodGirl23
09-29-2002, 05:40 AM
I love The Diary of Ann Frank also. And I love watching the movies and the commentarys etc...:)

hayley
09-29-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Dogstar
And touching, too, I'm sure...I like it when I hear that you younger folk are reading. Here in the States, not as many people read anymore. It's such a great trip, reading. It's the best, right up there with music!

that's good!...i love reading. yes, reading is the best, i read to take my mind of things, to escape into the world of everlasting pages. Especilly on a hot day at the beach, or a cold day infront of the fire.:P

TeriB19
09-29-2002, 10:06 PM
That's funny. That's how I buy, too. If it doesn't grab me in the first three paragraphs, I won't buy it. Then you should definitely stay away from Dean Koontz. He writes an amazing book for the first 200 pages. But in almost every one of the books I've read, the ending takes place in 2 pages and is very very convenient. His books grab and hold you from the opening page, but I haven't liked an ending to one of his books.

Dogstar
09-30-2002, 03:47 AM
LOL, yeah, I haven't read any of his. That's too bad, to have such a good read and then to have the ending ruin it all. Very unsatisfying. Like getting through a good box of Cracker Jack only to find there is no prize!

GoodGodGirl23
09-30-2002, 05:28 AM
I have dis one tiny book, called.."How to Seduce Any Man in The Zodiac."...heheh! Fun reading...:D

Lady Valkyrie
09-30-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by GoodGodGirl23
<b>I have dis one tiny book, called.."How to Seduce Any Man in The Zodiac."...heheh! Fun reading...:D </b>

LOL I have "The Complete Kama Sutra" and "The Art of Tantric Sex". lol I love those books!

TeriB19
09-30-2002, 09:58 PM
LOL, yeah, I haven't read any of his. That's too bad, to have such a good read and then to have the ending ruin it all. Very unsatisfying. Like getting through a good box of Cracker Jack only to find there is no prize! Damn, girl, you nailed it again. The books grab you from the start like sweet carmel corn, take you on a really great ride, like candy coated peanuts, then end with a thump, like getting an empty wrapper where the prize should be.

Dogstar
10-01-2002, 01:10 AM
:D

Siana
10-02-2002, 11:22 AM
Other fave books:
Mario Puzo-The Godfather,The Sicilian,The last don

allison
10-02-2002, 11:46 AM
I am now reading I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb, author of She's Come Undone. It's an Oprah book. I am about 200 pages into it (it's 900 pages long) and it is very good. Anyone read it?

Siana
10-02-2002, 11:47 AM
i haven't

Dogstar
10-02-2002, 11:50 AM
I am now reading I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb, author of She's Come Undone. &nbsp;It's an Oprah book. &nbsp;I am about 200 pages into it (it's 900 pages long) and it is very good. &nbsp;Anyone read it?

No, but I loved She's Come Undone. The author was/is a high school English teacher in the town I used to live in. Our local paper did lots of stories on him when he hit it big with Undone. Very nice man. It took him eight years to write Undone. I have not read the second one, though I heard/read it wasn't as good as the first one. How is it so far?

allison
10-02-2002, 11:54 AM
Wow, what town was that? I guess he's probably not teaching anymore! $$ I haven't read She's Come Undone, but I want to after I finish this one. My sister, who reads alot, said it was the best book she's ever read and made me start reading it. I think it's really good so far. It has definitely kept my attention and I think he writes really, really well.

Dogstar
10-02-2002, 11:58 AM
Norwich, Conn. I believe he was a teacher at the Norwich Free Academy. It's in Eastern Connecticut, not far from Rhode Island. He had a lot of local references in Undone, which made it cool for me. He gave them different names, but they were easily recognizable to the folks in the area. Yes, I think he writes very well. Probably isn't teaching anymore, either, I'd imagine. It's been about 8 years since I have lived in Norwich, so I'm not up on the latest.

Pittock
10-02-2002, 03:12 PM
I don't know what my favorite book is.................but my favorite authors are Dominick Dunne, Perri O Shaugnessy, Ann Rule and Greg Illes.

hayley
10-02-2002, 08:48 PM
i'm now reading a book called "Touch Me" it's about these two teenagers, 18 year olds, and they fall in love, but they have absolutley nothing in common..it's a fantastic book.:)

Bridge of Clay
10-02-2002, 10:39 PM
okay, mine might be a little harder to find, but itīs my fav...
itīs from a Canadian author called Roger J. Morneau and its title is "A Trip Into The Supernatural".

Iīm also reading Jack Welch from A to Z and intend to read Doc. Ben Carsonīs biography

Aimee
10-03-2002, 01:39 AM
I've also read She's Come Undone. I loved that book. My mother-in-law is reading I Know This Much is True and sh'll let me borrow it when she's done. Now I can't wait to read it because I can talk to you about it Allison!

allison
10-03-2002, 01:24 PM
Yeah! Let me know when you start it. I'm only on page 200. I get so sleepy at night when I read!

hayley
10-03-2002, 10:44 PM
same!!! i only last about 15 mins, then my eyes get all droopy!!:snooze: