++ Alter Bridge - Fortress ++ PreOrder NOW!!  
Go Back   CreedFeed Community > The Bands & The Music > Scott Stapp Talk
Today's Posts «

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2005, 12:33 PM   #16
GregS
GregS's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Strong Inside
Posts: 1,498
Joined: Apr 2005
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via MSN to GregS
I'll give this album a.. 8/10

I thought this album as a whole was great but there are 2 songs i just cant get into... Them being Justify & You will soar..

But ye..good work.
__________________
You're cutting me in two..
And ripping me in three..
You're killing with those words you say to me
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:55 PM   #17
titan9
USER INFO »
Status: Bound and Tied
Posts: 2,135
Joined: Dec 2004
Currently: Offline
Time for a real review from me:

1.Reach Out: The music on this track is rock solid. I think Goneblind did a fantastic job with the guitar work. Granted, the guitar work isn't as good as Tremonti's, but it is better than a lot of the stuff I hear on the radio. Lyrically, the lyrics are pretty good. Vocally, Stapp sounds good for the most part. His voice does seem to sound not as good when he tries to go higher with it. I'd give this song a solid 8.5 of 10.

2.Fight Song: Like with the first track, the music is good. I don't care for some of the lyrics on this song, but for the most part those are good as well. Vocally, Stapp sounds better than on track 1. It's a good "harder" rock song and gets 8.5 of 10 from me.

3.Hard Way: Good music on this track. Lyrically, it is one of my favorite on the album. Vocally, like with the second track, Stapp sounds real good. This is probably my second(or third) favorite track on the CD. 9 out of 10.

4.Justify: The music is fairly simple on this one. You'd think that'd make it a so-so song, right? No way. The lyrics are AWESOME on this track, as are the vocals. I mean, I am blown away by how good this track is. It is obviously the strongest track on the album. Hats off to Stapp for making such an awesome, different kind of song. 10 of 10

5.Let Me Go: Weakest track on the album...by far. The lyrics are bad, imo, the vocals are better but the music is boring. This is definitely the track I'll be skipping when I listen to TGD. 5 out of 10.

6.Surround Me: A beautiful track that helps the CD to rebound from the previous bad track. Lyrically it is quite good, vocally it is pretty good and musically it is simple, yet beautiful. This is a song that I can see becoming a huge hit, if given a good amount of promotion. I would definitely use this song as Stapp's second or third single. 9.5 out of 10.

7.The Great Divide: What can you say about this track except to say it is a single. Singles for almost every artist/band are typically the weakest on the album. Not much of an exception here. The lyrics are decent, the vocals are good and the music is decent. It's better than a lot of stuff on pop and rock radio, but I've come to expect better stuff out of Stapp. 6.5 out of 10.

8.Sublime: The lyrics on this track are decent, the vocals and music are as well. However, because of the repetitive use of the word "sublime" throughout the track, the track itself is a bit boring. I'll probably skip this track on every other listen, because there is nothing too special about it. 6 out of 10.

9.You Will Soar: I know, a lot of people don't care for this track. But I love it. Nothing about the track is particularly special, but I just like the message behind it. The lyrics, vocals and music are all solid on this track. Much better than Don't Stop Dancing, which shares a similar message. 8 of 10.

10.Broken: I'll start off by saying that I typically hate the use of choir in a song. To me, unless done properly, it sounds very cheesy. However, the choir was used in the proper way for this beautiful song. Piano is also used, which is nice, because I feel that piano should be used more often by rock artists/bands. Listening to this song, because of the very good combination of vocals/choir/piano/guitar gives me chills. Lyrically it isn't amazing, but being someone who has gone through a lot, I can relate to it. I think the track was very well done, so it gets an 8.5 of 10.
Overall rating averaged out: 7 of 10
Overall: It's a good debut from Stapp. However, with the next CD I would like to see a few less ballads and a few more rock songs. If he can do that, and improve upon the lyrics, I see a very bright solo career for Stapp.
__________________
Visit the 12 Stones Fan Community, 12stonesfans.com!

Check out my friend's Music blog by here!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #18
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
Dogstar's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Young Grown Old
Posts: 21,780
Joined: Sep 2002
Currently: Offline
I give it 4/10. I like the first four songs just fine. The rest of it is boring, cliched and unoriginal. The last track has potential, but I don't know, none of the slow stuff grabbed me at all. I thought the best track was Justify.
__________________
Silly monkeys give them thumbs
they make a club and beat their brother down.
How they survive so misguided is a mystery.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:13 PM   #19
Faceless_Man
Banned
USER INFO »
Posts: 26
Joined: Nov 2005
Currently: Offline
10/10

Alot of you probably dont like it cuz you're too wrapped up in AB. The grass is greener over here.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #20
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
Dogstar's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Young Grown Old
Posts: 21,780
Joined: Sep 2002
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Faceless_Man) 10/10

Alot of you probably dont like it cuz you're too wrapped up in AB. The grass is greener over here.
Not necessarily. If it was good, I would have liked it
__________________
Silly monkeys give them thumbs
they make a club and beat their brother down.
How they survive so misguided is a mystery.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:14 PM   #21
Bridge of Clay
Bridge of Clay's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Tree of Wisdom
Posts: 8,025
Joined: Sep 2002
Currently: Offline
let's switch the order here.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Faceless_Man) 10/10

Alot of you probably dont like AB cuz you're too wrapped up in Stapp. The grass is greener over here.

what would you say of that?

that's a very reasonable argument, I'd say...
__________________
.:: "If people don't like guitar solos... then they're frikkin' stupid!" - Mark Tremonti ::.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #22
Faceless_Man
Banned
USER INFO »
Posts: 26
Joined: Nov 2005
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Bridge of Clay) let's switch the order here.



what would you say of that?

that's a very reasonable argument, I'd say...

I've got an even more reasonable argument. Why would one prefer the whiney vocals of MK over the deep tones of Scott Stapp, something characteristic only of Creed, the band that actually inspired these forums? You guys gave up on Stapp. Bottom line.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:28 PM   #23
Steve
Administrator
Steve's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Prophet Man
Posts: 3,293
Joined: Dec 2003
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Quote: (Originally Posted by Faceless_Man) I've got an even more reasonable argument. Why would one prefer the whiney vocals of MK over the deep tones of Scott Stapp, something characteristic only of Creed, the band that actually inspired these forums? You guys gave up on Stapp. Bottom line.

I'm not debating the differences between Stapp and MK, but if I were to post a clip of a Creed bootleg from 1998 and one from 2002, Stapp doesn't have "deep tones" in his vocals. His voice cracks and it's very harsh. Stapp's voice has gone to hell since the end of the Human Clay tour, and it's well documented in all of the bootlegs that have been released. His voice on the album is all digitized and edited. I'd be very interested in seeing if he can pull off another tour, or if half way through he'll start getting throat problems again. That's the big difference with Stapp. Early in Creed' career, Stapp sounded perfect on the albums AND in concert. However at the end, he sounded like sh!t in concert. All his throat problems deteriorated his voice. I've been a Creed fan since day one, and I've consistantly said this same thing, even back on the Creednet BB. It's the facts and the bottom line.
__________________
-Steve

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:37 PM   #24
metalanus
USER INFO »
Status: Broken Dream
Posts: 168
Joined: Aug 2005
Currently: Offline
whats the language you cant say sh!t opps I said it too. Ive heard of several vocalists having throat problems if they dont have throat problems then they arent rocking hard enough. Or they can have hand problems like Dave Mustaine.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:48 PM   #25
INDIGOSTEVE
USER INFO »
Status: Naked Toddler
Posts: 215
Joined: Oct 2005
Currently: Offline
I like Myles but his voice is similar to alot of other singers and live it sounded to me alot higher than on the cd? but I seem to like the tone of stapps voice better.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:05 PM   #26
Creed7352
Creed7352's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Faceless Fan
Posts: 512
Joined: May 2004
Currently: Offline
mark has tendonitis in his wrist too...at least he's developing it..he's been doing exercises to combat against it and he's been seeing a doctor. he's developing it cause he plays guitar for 5-6 hours a day everyday.

do you like led zeppelin, incubus, audioslave, soundgarden, guns n roses?
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:56 PM   #27
eusebioCBR
eusebioCBR's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Shackled Hero
Posts: 2,961
Joined: Oct 2005
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Steve) I'm not debating the differences between Stapp and MK, but if I were to post a clip of a Creed bootleg from 1998 and one from 2002, Stapp doesn't have "deep tones" in his vocals. His voice cracks and it's very harsh. Stapp's voice has gone to hell since the end of the Human Clay tour, and it's well documented in all of the bootlegs that have been released. His voice on the album is all digitized and edited. I'd be very interested in seeing if he can pull off another tour, or if half way through he'll start getting throat problems again. That's the big difference with Stapp. Early in Creed' career, Stapp sounded perfect on the albums AND in concert. However at the end, he sounded like sh!t in concert. All his throat problems deteriorated his voice. I've been a Creed fan since day one, and I've consistantly said this same thing, even back on the Creednet BB. It's the facts and the bottom line.
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
__________________
When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power ....like God must feel when he's holding a gun.

-Homer Simpson




24
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:13 PM   #28
geletmote
USER INFO »
Status: Naked Toddler
Posts: 289
Joined: Jul 2005
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via MSN to geletmote
Quote: (Originally Posted by Creed7352) mark has tendonitis in his wrist too...at least he's developing it..he's been doing exercises to combat against it and he's been seeing a doctor. he's developing it cause he plays guitar for 5-6 hours a day everyday.

do you like led zeppelin, incubus, audioslave, soundgarden, guns n roses?


Wats tendonitis, were did u hear this..

peter g
__________________
But I'm down to One last Breath but with it let me say let me say, Who's got my back now?.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:25 PM   #29
Steve
Administrator
Steve's Avatar
USER INFO »
Status: Prophet Man
Posts: 3,293
Joined: Dec 2003
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Tendonitis is basically an inflamed tendon. See About.com or WebMD.com for more detailed info. You can get tendonitis from repeated, overuse of a tendon/muscle.
__________________
-Steve

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:58 AM   #30
Faceless_Man
Banned
USER INFO »
Posts: 26
Joined: Nov 2005
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Creed7352) mark has tendonitis in his wrist too...at least he's developing it..he's been doing exercises to combat against it and he's been seeing a doctor. he's developing it cause he plays guitar for 5-6 hours a day everyday.

do you like led zeppelin, incubus, audioslave, soundgarden, guns n roses?


Yes I do like most of those bands and their singers' sounds, BUT, MK sounds nothing like those. He sounds like he WANTS to sound like them, but he doesnt pull it off. His voice doesnt fit with the former Creed members' sound IMO.
Reply With Quote
Post Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great Divide Billboard review Ana4Stapp Scott Stapp Talk 28 10-13-2005 09:19 PM
The Great Divide - Album quality version The Lithium Scott Stapp Talk 86 10-10-2005 05:41 PM
The Great Divide - Lyrics Higher_Desire Scott Stapp Talk 1 09-25-2005 09:34 AM
Great feelings HR2004 Waxing Poetica 3 06-30-2005 12:03 PM
The Great Commandment creedsister Faith / Religion 2 10-20-2004 10:40 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Steve Caponetto. All Rights Reserved.